IGNORED

Brighton and Hove Albion (Home) Saturday November 3rd

markjazzbassist

Just me that's really excited to be going back to Goodison? The Silva Effect 😎

Agree that this is a very winnable game but they're organised, it could well be another Palace game where we have to huff and puff for 80 odd minutes before actually breaking through. Given how Brighton will approach this it could well turn out to be a single goal that wins it. Fingers crossed that Pickford doesn't need to make it a hat-trick of penalty saves this weekend and we can actually make some clean tackles! 

Pickford

Coleman - Keane - Zouma - Digne

Gueye - Andre Gomes

Walcott - Sigurdsson - Bernard

Richarlison

I do agree that Richarlison is better suited to being on the wing but I just don't think this is the right game for Tosun. We need to get at them with pace and it's not what he's about, Cenk's a lot more suited to the games where we need a physical presence in the box. I've no doubt that he will make an appearance on the hour mark or there abouts but I'd stick with Richard up top from the off. 

Need a big game from Theo as he was poor against Palace and United, same with Bernard to be honest. Keep Gueye away from our own penalty box at all costs and tell Andre Gomes to put in another performance like the game against Palace. 

On 30/10/2018 at 11:24, Matt said:

I don't get the idea of sticking Richarlison up front. I've not seen any game yet, only the 20 minute highlights for each, but from what I remember happening was him scoring and assisting on the wing, and not sure he has scored since being put up top? Why are people / the manager so eager to change the formula?

Tosun's goal drought probably forced Silva's hand. Remember DCL got a few games up top too.

On 01/11/2018 at 07:11, Finn balor said:

I feel someone is going to get a tonking off us very shortly 

Gor Mahia probably 🙄.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Tosuns drought is one part for sure, but Tosun occupying defenders probably allowed Richarlison the space. I’ve always said I prefer my strikers to score goals and that’s their only job, but I’m also against changing a working strategy. 

What’s the working strategy create more chances than your opponent and score less goals, or not changing a winning team or something else, I’ve obviously missed something along the way and haven’t grasped what you mean. 

With out looking like I’m taking the piss can tell me what you meant by that 👍 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What’s the working strategy create more chances than your opponent and score less goals, or not changing a winning team or something else, I’ve obviously missed something along the way and haven’t grasped what you mean. 

With out looking like I’m taking the piss can tell me what you meant by that 👍 

No worries man. Basically I’ve always given the striker leniency if he scores, because that has always been our source of goals in the past. However, we’ve finally got some creativity and firepower across the front 5 so I’m not too arsed if the striker doesn’t score, provided he is allowing the others to do so. From the highlights I’ve seen and reading reviews, this seems to be the case for both Tosun and DCL, so Siggy and the wingers are the ones putting the ball in the net whilst the striker makes the space and tires the defense, brilliant!

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

No worries man. Basically I’ve always given the striker leniency if he scores, because that has always been our source of goals in the past. However, we’ve finally got some creativity and firepower across the front 5 so I’m not too arsed if the striker doesn’t score, provided he is allowing the others to do so. From the highlights I’ve seen and reading reviews, this seems to be the case for both Tosun and DCL, so Siggy and the wingers are the ones putting the ball in the net whilst the striker makes the space and tires the defense, brilliant!

With you now Matt and that is great when it works but against Utd it didn’t, Bernard and Walcott weren’t clinical enough with the chances and positions they were put in  were a Lukaku type would do better with those opportunities we need that again. 

You only get so many chances against the bigger teams and you need someone clinical to take them, and to progress there the teams you need to beat. 

Reading back I made that sound simple obviously I know it’s not but it Silva we trust. 

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

With you now Matt and that is great when it works but against Utd it didn’t, Bernard and Walcott weren’t clinical enough with the chances and positions they were put in  were a Lukaku type would do better with those opportunities we need that again. 

You only get so many chances against the bigger teams and you need someone clinical to take them, and to progress there the teams you need to beat. 

Reading back I made that sound simple obviously I know it’s not but it Silva we trust. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d have Rom back tomorrow, even if he was a dick during his time here. His finishing with the creativity we have now would be immense. 

That said, I’ve still got huge faith in Cenk to come good. The lads finishing is up there with the best, he just needs to work on his positioning and be a bit more selfish 

Mina has been a bit unlucky since coming back from injury.  He would have come on had we been winning against palace but we needed attackers to change things so he had to sit out.

with Zouma out next week I guess we need to give Mina a chance alongside Keane so we know we’re not throwing him in with no premier league experience at Stamford Bridge.

The dilemma for Silva after that could be who comes out as his first choice CB’s!

I'd still keep Zouma and Keane together. I understand why we'd want Mina to come in, but dropping Zouma could be detrimental to Keane too, as Keane is finally looking comfortable next to a more mobile CB. 

Like the Southern USA saying goes: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

Been thinking about this a bit more and given we know how Brighton are going to sit in I think this is another game that we should see Richarlison upfront and Barnard from the left. On the right Theos pace will be less important so I would give Lookman his first run out. Not to say he should play everyweek but to give him a sighter and to also give Theo a little kick up the arse. 

In respect of strikers if you think about who Duffy ad Dunk would like to play up against, every day of the week it would be Cenk. Richarlison can beat you short, in the air, in behind, with a trick, better passer etc and DCL is more of a pain in the arse. I know if I was a defender I would be so much happier against Cenk than the other two. More time on the ball when clearing and more time to recover from mistakes. We will need some guile wide so Bernard should keep his spot and thats why I would also bring Lookman in as he is more unpredictable than Theo. 

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Been thinking about this a bit more and given we know how Brighton are going to sit in I think this is another game that we should see Richarlison upfront and Barnard from the left. On the right Theos pace will be less important so I would give Lookman his first run out. Not to say he should play everyweek but to give him a sighter and to also give Theo a little kick up the arse. 

In respect of strikers if you think about who Duffy ad Dunk would like to play up against, every day of the week it would be Cenk. Richarlison can beat you short, in the air, in behind, with a trick, better passer etc and DCL is more of a pain in the arse. I know if I was a defender I would be so much happier against Cenk than the other two. More time on the ball when clearing and more time to recover from mistakes. We will need some guile wide so Bernard should keep his spot and thats why I would also bring Lookman in as he is more unpredictable than Theo. 

For similar reasoning it would make more sense for Davies to play instead of Gana. Don't need a disrupter if the opposition aren't gonna be playing the ball on the floor. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

.... we’ve finally got some creativity and firepower across the front 5....

We are seeing some firepower, but I’m disappointed that at home Silva has not put out a “front 5.”  Rather, it’s the same old 4-2-3-1.  Neither of the 2 DMs is a firepower guy.  Gomes and Gana each offers strength, though Gana (as discussed last week) is risk-reward, while Gomes seems steadier, a smooth organizer from deep.

We need attackers, excitement, and goals at Goodison.  I’d prefer 1 DM, 2 strikers, and thus an actual “front 5.”

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

For similar reasoning it would make more sense for Davies to play instead of Gana. Don't need a disrupter if the opposition aren't gonna be playing the ball on the floor. 

Maybe... I would play Gana just because he will win the ball back more often and with Gomes there I think we need that.