IGNORED

Cardiff City (Home) Saturday November 24th

markjazzbassist

They are a bottom 3 side and we are home, 3 points and nothing less is what I expect.  I would like to see lookman start as they will Park the bus and we need guile and trickery.

pickford

coleman keane Mina digne

Gana gomes

Lookman     Gylfi       Bernard

Richarlison

If Gylfi is injured, I’d put Bernard there and bring Lookman in for Walcott. Push Gana or Gomes further up, play 1 DCM and go 4-1-4-1, really get at them. Someone previously stated one of the opposition will receive a spanking, this would be the perfect opportunity leading up to the derby. Would also be a good game for Tosun or DCL, see if they can get on the scoreboard 

I like that line up. Got a feeling we’ll go 3 at the back though. Can’t really drop Zouma in his form, Mina needs a run and Keane seems to be number one choice. Will be interesting to see how we set out, and letting Coleman and Digne get forward more will be vital to our attack. Have a feeling Walcott will make way with Lookman and Bernard our wide. 

If we do go three at the back I hope Zouma or Mina have a decent right foot as the thought of Keane filling in at right back when Coleman or whoever is up the pitch fills me with fear. 

Wing backs these days main attribute is pace so possibly Walcott could find himself playing it as Coleman has lost a yard. 

my issue with a 3 at the back is essentially you have 5 defenders playing as we don't have wingback players, we'll have fullbacks there.  so instead of 4, we have 5, which means we lose either an attacking player or midfielder of which i don't want to lose gana or gomes.  i don't want to lose any of the forward players either.  gotta be a back 4 for me with our players.  digne and coleman don't offer enough in attack to make removing a forward worthwhile IMO

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

my issue with a 3 at the back is essentially you have 5 defenders playing as we don't have wingback players, we'll have fullbacks there.  so instead of 4, we have 5, which means we lose either an attacking player or midfielder of which i don't want to lose gana or gomes.  i don't want to lose any of the forward players either.  gotta be a back 4 for me with our players.  digne and coleman don't offer enough in attack to make removing a forward worthwhile IMO

If anything, I don't think that they offer as much in defense, and attacking is where they're strongest. I'm not really a fan of 5 at the back myself either, but if used correctly it can be more attacking than a 4-3-3 in some cases.

We more or less play a 442 so just stick DCL or Cenk in and have Richarlison slightly withdrawn like Siggy is. 

Im not sure who I would play at the back but I have seen more of Keane and Zouma and therefore I trust them more. Trust and Keane in the same sentence, who would have thought!

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne 

Gana Gomes

Walcott    Lookman    Bernard

Richarlison

Im enjoying the way we are playing at the moment and hope that formations don't get changed because of the loss of an important player, or the return of an in form CB. 

Mina needs to embed in and form a partnership with Keane as there is no guarantee Zouma will be here next season. 

Sigurdsson is a massive blow as he has been our most important player this season, for me at least. The best player I could think to play in that role is Lookman. I'm not saying he is ideal but he is certainly our best player avalible in that role at this moment in time. 

Gana and Gomes are forming a good partnership, leave them together with an advanced central midfielder ahead of them, Bernard and Walcott havent been on lightening form but we've been winning games with them in the team and they were involved in the squad that grabbed a point at the bridge, so leave them in. Richarlison is improving in that Centre Forward role game by game so leave him in. 

Let's get at them and press on with the tactics we've built this good form on. 

Got a good feeling about this game.

6 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

I’d move Richarlison to 10 and start Tosun.

pickford

coleman keane mina digne 

gomes richarlison gana

walcott tosun lookman

fascinated by the CB selection headache. None of the three deserve to sit this one out but Marco doesn’t play 3 cbs. 

He finished the last game with 3, so don’t think he’s against it. Granted, he wanted to secure the point, but i suppose it was more of a back 5. 

I’ve said somewhere else, if we had 3 at the back plus 1 DCM, the rest of the team should be able to attack with gusto. I’m excited

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

He finished the last game with 3, so don’t think he’s against it. Granted, he wanted to secure the point, but i suppose it was more of a back 5. 

I’ve said somewhere else, if we had 3 at the back plus 1 DCM, the rest of the team should be able to attack with gusto. I’m excited

I’m terrified. The mental scars I have of previous attempts at it are still there. 

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

:lol: understandable, but as you said elsewhere; we’ve got a manager who seems to know what he’s doing. 

I know but at Goodison I sit behind one of the goals so when we’re defending that end I got to see the car crash approaching each and every time. I’m surprised I’m still alive in all honesty :lol: . 

A lot of the time it was in slow motion but I just had to watch as our CB’s often fell over each other as we conceded. 

I do have more faith that Silva can get it right, but I also have more faith that he’ll not keep flogging a dead horse if it’s a disaster. 

Cardiff offer so little in attack having 3 at the back would be a waste.

I would rather we keep the formation that the players are used to.

As for who is available we will have to see after the internationals.

I want to see Lookman start, I would drop Theo rather than Bernard as both have been poor the last couple of games, although Theo was better in the last game vs Chelsea. I would keep Bernard as he needs more game time to adapt to the premier league.

Pickford 

Coleman.     Keane.      Mina.          Digne    

Gana                    Gomes    

Lookman. 

Walcott.                Tosun.            Richarlison.  

I would give this ago Lookman to replace Gylfi he has the ability to play there let’s see if he has the maturity. 

Richarlison goes to the left we know he can play there that’s where he started for us and was a success out there scoring 3 or 4 from that position, and if it wasn’t because of our strikers being so ineffective I believe he would still be out there. 

I would definitely keep Mina in he played well Sunday and not a lot to choose between him and Zouma, but we own Mina we know he’s staying so he needs to build up his game time with Keane to get that partnership solid for next season. 

I’ve gone for Tosun up front for 2 reasons firstly he has s good touch and that would work well with the players around him who like to keep the ball on the ground and quick movement of the ball, and then it could be a last chance saloon to prove he has got what it takes because the way things are looking for him he could be out the door. 

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

Pickford

Digne Mina Keane Coleman

Gana Gomes

Bernard

Richarlison Walcott Lookman

Interesting idea having Walcott play up top. I guess with the passing ability and speed of those around him, he'd be quite the pest. Hopefully he'll convert the chances he'll get. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Pickford 

Coleman.     Keane.      Mina.          Digne    

Gana                    Gomes    

Lookman. 

Walcott.                Tosun.            Richarlison.  

I would give this ago Lookman to replace Gylfi he has the ability to play there let’s see if he has the maturity. 

Richarlison goes to the left we know he can play there that’s where he started for us and was a success out there scoring 3 or 4 from that position, and if it wasn’t because of our strikers being so ineffective I believe he would still be out there. 

I would definitely keep Mina in he played well Sunday and not a lot to choose between him and Zouma, but we own Mina we know he’s staying so he needs to build up his game time with Keane to get that partnership solid for next season. 

I’ve gone for Tosun up front for 2 reasons firstly he has s good touch and that would work well with the players around him who like to keep the ball on the ground and quick movement of the ball, and then it could be a last chance saloon to prove he has got what it takes because the way things are looking for him he could be out the door. 

I'm not sure Lookman is disciplined enough yet to take that role, but again it's an interesting idea

As good as Keane has been it might be worth while giving Mina and Zouma a start together against a poorer opposition to see how they can play together.

I like the sound of Walcott up top against them, this is the sort of game where we need to get round the back and he can do that.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Pickford

Digne Mina Keane Coleman

Gana Gomes

Bernard

Richarlison Walcott Lookman

Yes never really considered that Walcott played up front for Arsenal quite a few times. 

When you posted that was you looking in a mirror 😉😎

11 hours ago, aaron said:

As good as Keane has been it might be worth while giving Mina and Zouma a start together against a poorer opposition to see how they can play together.

I like the sound of Walcott up top against them, this is the sort of game where we need to get round the back and he can do that.

We’ve just kept a clean sheet against a top 3 team, away from home. The back 5 doesn’t change for me.

if Gylfi is out, 442, DCL uptop with Richarlison who can drop a bit deeper on defensive duties. Lookman to start, not sure who to drop out of Walcott or Bernard but none the less, it’s a rapid fast front 4.

Over in the Gana thread, Shukes said this, and it caught my attention.

[Shukes] “I think the next few matches with important players missing is more of an opportunity to blame Gana for anything that goes wrong, rather than see if he can step up and fill the obvious gaps.”

I discuss Shukes’s comment here not to say or ask anything whatsoever about Gana, but to ask Shukes and anyone else what he/they might have read about “important players” missing “next few matches.”  This doesn’t sound good.  Sigurdsson and Gomes out for awhile??