IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

2 hours ago, Matt said:

28 too old? That’s 3-4 seasons of play. Perfect age in my opinion; has the experience and a few years to apply what he’s learnt 

Although I don't like signing anybody over thirty I think 28 is just the highest that I would  squeeze in.  Like Matt has said that's a five year contract he could fulfill.  I,m amazed that City and Chelsea are chasing players at 33 years old.

51 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I want the richarlisons of the world.  Get them here for 8-10 years for us not 3.  We have a young core and I want to keep it young and long term.

I know what you mean, but we need a balance between seasoned players and be developing talent. The majority of the squad should be younger but having more experienced players gives a different dimension and also a chance, hopefully, for the developing players to learn from 

38 minutes ago, Bill said:

Although I don't like signing anybody over thirty I think 28 is just the highest that I would  squeeze in.  Like Matt has said that's a five year contract he could fulfill.  I,m amazed that City and Chelsea are chasing players at 33 years old.

Because these players carry less risk, their ability is already there and their mentality at that age is probably stronger than that of a 22 year old. Add into that more chance of a settled home life and a bit more reliability. 

The 22 year old might be a worldy in two years, but he might spend his evenings out with anyone he can get his hands on and start slacking the next morning. 

Just one point of view anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know what you mean, but we need a balance between seasoned players and be developing talent. The majority of the squad should be younger but having more experienced players gives a different dimension and also a chance, hopefully, for the developing players to learn from 

i agree matt, but we need PROVEN experience, a 28 year old just breaking out in the french league is not that.  Gylfi proving himself in the prem for years on the other hand IS.  

43 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i agree matt, but we need PROVEN experience, a 28 year old just breaking out in the french league is not that.  Gylfi proving himself in the prem for years on the other hand IS.  

I think it comes down to the point made somewhere else; who would be available who is proven in our league? 

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think it comes down to the point made somewhere else; who would be available who is proven in our league? 

yeah and my point is if we are taking chances on unproven prem striker, let's let it be a young one with huge upside, therefore even if it doesn't work out we can still sell and break even/cut our losses.  say we sign sala, he doesn't cut it after a year, he's now 29/30 depending on birthday and we lose a ton on selling him.  we sign youngster A at 23, doesn't cut it, is 24/25 and still a viable asset to sell to another league.  this is why brands is looking young, richarlison, bernard, digne.  

to your point about proven strikers in the prem?  there are plenty i'd take as a number 2, and thats fine.  Poch built spurs on a bunch of youngsters and they qualified for CL every year, not a bad result that.   Ajax went to the Europa Finals and the average age was like 23 or something.  It can be done and done right.  Build it right long term.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah and my point is if we are taking chances on unproven prem striker, let's let it be a young one with huge upside, therefore even if it doesn't work out we can still sell and break even/cut our losses.  say we sign sala, he doesn't cut it after a year, he's now 29/30 depending on birthday and we lose a ton on selling him.  we sign youngster A at 23, doesn't cut it, is 24/25 and still a viable asset to sell to another league.  this is why brands is looking young, richarlison, bernard, digne.  

to your point about proven strikers in the prem?  there are plenty i'd take as a number 2, and thats fine.  Poch built spurs on a bunch of youngsters and they qualified for CL every year, not a bad result that.   Ajax went to the Europa Finals and the average age was like 23 or something.  It can be done and done right.  Build it right long term.

But I thought the point was we need a starting striker? We've got potentially 3 2nd choice strikers already, why would we pay over the odds in January for a 2nd striker?

I'm all for bringing in exciting talent, and again I completely get what you're saying. But there's always a risk with the young talent that they don't succeed. The money side is much less of a concern nowadays, otherwise I'd completely agree with the sell-on thing.

Poch did bring in a bunch of youngsters, but he also had seasoned, older players to balance it out with, or at least players that had played at a high level for a long time (plus quite a few clangers). They were the minority in terms of squad positions, but there were always 3-4 playing from what I remember. We've phased out most of our older players over the last 2 years, there's only really Walcott, Gylfi and Coleman that are constantly on the team sheet that I'd call, and the latter will be replaced soon too. 

Again, I'm all for building for the future by gambling on youth. But say it takes 2-3 years for a youngster to reach his potential, we need a stop-gap and a 28 year old can provide just that. Still a gamble, but less so (finances aside) in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

But I thought the point was we need a starting striker? We've got potentially 3 2nd choice strikers already, why would we pay over the odds in January for a 2nd striker?

I'm all for bringing in exciting talent, and again I completely get what you're saying. But there's always a risk with the young talent that they don't succeed. The money side is much less of a concern nowadays, otherwise I'd completely agree with the sell-on thing.

Poch did bring in a bunch of youngsters, but he also had seasoned, older players to balance it out with, or at least players that had played at a high level for a long time (plus quite a few clangers). They were the minority in terms of squad positions, but there were always 3-4 playing from what I remember. We've phased out most of our older players over the last 2 years, there's only really Walcott, Gylfi and Coleman that are constantly on the team sheet that I'd call, and the latter will be replaced soon too. 

Again, I'm all for building for the future by gambling on youth. But say it takes 2-3 years for a youngster to reach his potential, we need a stop-gap and a 28 year old can provide just that. Still a gamble, but less so (finances aside) in my opinion.

the underlined is a major fallacy, it is always a concern, we need to continue to be prudent in our transfer budget, a major reason Brands is here and Walsh is not.  

richarlison is the striker for now, i don't think that's a priority to be honest, he's done well there and strikers in january almost never work out, they need a full preseason, i'd rather get one in the summer when it's cheaper and a better situation all around.  i think a top winger on the right is worthwhile, i'd love to get Lamela off spurs if he's back to being healthy and recovered, he was really looking good before that injury.  I would also take Zaha if we want proven prem players.  

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the underlined is a major fallacy, it is always a concern, we need to continue to be prudent in our transfer budget, a major reason Brands is here and Walsh is not.  

richarlison is the striker for now, i don't think that's a priority to be honest, he's done well there and strikers in january almost never work out, they need a full preseason, i'd rather get one in the summer when it's cheaper and a better situation all around.  i think a top winger on the right is worthwhile, i'd love to get Lamela off spurs if he's back to being healthy and recovered, he was really looking good before that injury.  I would also take Zaha if we want proven prem players.  

I said it's less of a concern, i.e compared to pre-Moshiri money. Not that it's irrelevant. That's just fact mate. Yes, we should be prudent but we also need to gamble on players too. If Sala is a Brands target, I'll trust him based on his acquisitions since he arrived - he might well be a £80m striker that we get for 20, in which case he's a bargain, or he might be a bust. 

I've never been sold on Zaha if I'm honest. Has excellent patches and then I never see anything about him for months on end. 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Awful. To have no body, no certainty, false hope, or the fear they may still be somehow alive and needing you.... just awful.  

Tiny window for them to be found alive was gone two hours after the plane disappeared sadly, all since has been false hope.