markjazzbassist

Liverpool (Away) Sunday December 2nd

At this moment I would take a draw for sure.  I’m not sure we have the firepower to have a go.  Same lineup as last week with lookman in for Bernard.

Pickford

Coleman keane Mina digne

Gomes gana

walcott           Gylfi      Lookman

Richarlison

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

At this moment I would take a draw for sure.  I’m not sure we have the firepower to have a go.  Same lineup as last week with lookman in for Bernard.

Pickford

Coleman keane Mina digne

Gomes gana

walcott           Gylfi      Lookman

Richarlison

Really hope that's the starting line up I'll be concerned if Bernard starts.

This will be a closer game than most imagine. I can see Liverpool ekeing out a win due to a controversial refereeing decision :( but we have a real chance to grab at least a point. Looking forward to it myself and not scared in the least (which is very different from my mood last season). 

I agree that Lookman absolutely needs to start, but at the expense of Walcott and not Bernard. Lookman and Bernard would torment Liverpool’s rather stodgy defence. 

Really think we can have a go at them, although I don’t rate Henderson one bit, he’s a derby type player. 

I cant see our boys from Barca not backing themselves to win, along with richarlison and the form Gylfi is in.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Really think we can have a go at them, although I don’t rate Henderson one bit, he’s a derby type player. 

I cant see our boys from Barca not backing themselves to win, along with richarlison and the form Gylfi is in.

Henderson will be suspended.

I hope to see the same team start that did against Cardiff. We are building momentum and although some struggled last time out it's imperitive that we build consistency.

Bernard might have struggled, but we've been getting the results with him in the team and if he has a good game this weekend that could kick start him into gear.

Walcott has a game changing moment in him, and is working hard.

Lookman will be keen to come on to change things if push comes to shove - a decent weapon to have off the bench.

Although a win is unlikely, would I hell as like take a draw, and neither do I think would Marco.

Excited, terrified and optimistic all at the same time.

They play with width with the full backs getting forward Coleman needs to be on his game if Walcott plays he will track back, not concerned with Digne he’s class but if Bernard plays he needs to do his share of the dirty work, I can see us getting at them through the middle with Gomes Gylfi and Richarlison. 

It’s looking like it could be one of the better derby games we’ve seen for a while, were definitely in with a shout. 

I’m actually excited to play them, possibly for the first time ever. We’re in a good run of form, I’m feeling a lot of confidence in our team and I think it’ll be a good opportunity to see where our squad is at. 

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Henderson will be suspended.

Sorry mate I was typing with haste - that’s what I meant. I don’t rate him, but he’s that derby type player that has a bit extra in him for these games, glad he’s suspended for it.

Good write up. It’s frustrating to think of the dropped points early in the season. We could have been right in the mix. We seem to have got our defence sorted now and we don’t seem a team to crumble like we have done in previous derbies. I would kill for a win I really would. Imagine that with two games at home to come? Liverpool are not unbeatable. We need a strong ref for a change and a bit of luck 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Good read but I wish people who are paid to write wouldn't make such schoolboy errors as, "Only Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea have allowed more shots this season; Allardyce could only dream of those kind of statistics."

7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Good write up. It’s frustrating to think of the dropped points early in the season. We could have been right in the mix. We seem to have got our defence sorted now and we don’t seem a team to crumble like we have done in previous derbies. I would kill for a win I really would. Imagine that with two games at home to come? Liverpool are not unbeatable. We need a strong ref for a change and a bit of luck 

Stuart Attwell. Looks a bit handy with yellow cards, strangely not at Anfield or the Etihad though...…..

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I would definitely not be changing formation to a back three in the derby. 

Ordinarily neither would I, but it’s going to happen at some point I imagine, and their attack will pose us a lob of problems 

21 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

We held Chelsea and I think we've also held them the past couple of fixtures?

We drew 1-1 and 0-0 last season I think with losing 2-1 in the cup. Bar maybe 30 minutes in the cup we didnt actually try and win any of those games though! In fact our only object in each of those games was not to concede!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Ordinarily neither would I, but it’s going to happen at some point I imagine, and their attack will pose us a lob of problems 

Personally I dont think 5 at the back makes many teams better defensively. I would always rather pack central midfield than pack the centre of defense.

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Personally I dont think 5 at the back makes many teams better defensively. I would always rather pack central midfield than pack the centre of defense.

Perhaps, but if it gets Coleman out of our penalty area dangling a leg out then it will.

Still concerned about him.

sadly i will miss the derby.  i will be attending a christmas brunch at the german cultural center with my extended family (side note, we are not german).  it's a tradition we do every year.  the kids meet santa, and we all eat a massive spread of food and drink a bunch of beers.  breakfast always seems better when alcohol is involved :beer:

I personally don't mind 3 central defenders and 2 wing backs the key is you need the the man in the middle to run the back 3 and have good pace, then the 2 wing backs need to have good engine's on them.

But if you get the balance right it can be more attack minded then to defensive it becomes defensive when the wing backs don't push forward enough.

I really do think we have a chance even though Salah and Mane seem to be finding form again. I think for the first time in a long time we’ll have the advantage both defensively and in midfield; it’ll depend on whether we can frustrate their front three and whether or not, as others have said, we have a good officiating team.

Salah and Mane are both calm heads, and I fear that if the match gets testy, it’ll benefit them far more than us. Where normally I’m all for scrappy matches against Liverpool, for once, I’d hate any of our players to get heated.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Pickford

Keane Mina Zouma

Coleman                                    Digne

Gana Gomes

Lookman      Siggy    Richarlison

Koeman line up that, swerve the square pegs in round holes. Sig isn'tt a striker nor should he be used as one.

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

sadly i will miss the derby.  i will be attending a christmas brunch at the german cultural center with my extended family (side note, we are not german).  it's a tradition we do every year.  the kids meet santa, and we all eat a massive spread of food and drink a bunch of beers.  breakfast always seems better when alcohol is involved :beer:

Stream it on your phone whilst bevvying and scranning!

17 minutes ago, aaron said:

Koeman line up that, swerve the square pegs in round holes. Sig isn'ttt a striker nor should he be used as one.

Neither is Richarlison but we’ve been playing him as such. 

Its just an idea. I’d rather we stick to our own formation than cater to the opposition of course. 

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

I was thinking more about the counter-attacking potential than the additional defensive aspect

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Neither is Richarlison but we’ve been playing him as such. 

Its just an idea. I’d rather we stick to our own formation than cater to the opposition of course. 

See Richarlison can be for me, he is young enough and good enough to be a striker but I do see what you're saying, we are now at a point where we can play our formation to fit our football instead of catering to them for me too, its took its time to get there but hopefully this is what Moshiri wanted when he bought into Everton and provides Brands and silva with the ammunition to push this exciting phase forward.

I'd start with same line up as last weekend, with a view on bringing on Lookman for Walcott or Bernard if their not having the right impact on the game, maybe take both off, move Richalison to the wing and also bring on Tosun.

For me we will lose this game if we lose the battle of the width, we need Bernard, Walcott, Digne and Coleman to control the flanks and stop their full backs having a big influence on the game.

I just pray Bernard, Walcott, and Coleman turn up it would be fair to say they have all had issues in a lot of the previous games, this is were they need to turn the corner and show us what we know they are capable of.

I also think we can then takes this game by dominating the middle with Gomes, Gylfi and Richarlison,  and of course the brilliance of Pickford when he's called upon.

I can't wait for this one and it's been quite a while since I thought we could go and get a result in a derby game, and if nothing else this will give us some good indication of how far we have progressed. COYB.

54 minutes ago, Deacs said:

Completely agree I think Richarlison offers more from a wide position, and Tosun will cause them problems.

Meant to quote Barry’s post there 😀

I would definitely agree with that Richarlison for Bernard and Tosun up front, but Silva isn'tt going to change a winning team and who can blame him.

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

They lost to PSG 2-1.  Let’s hope we continue that streak for them.

Not to dampen your spirits but I've just read that Liverpool have never lost back to back games under Klopp...not sure how true this is mind.

Just browsed through some Liverpool forums, and they are not worried, to say the least. A win here would be a huge statement, but I'm not going to say it's expected, because it's going to be really hard to even come away with a point. I feel more confident than I have in past derbies though.

59 minutes ago, aaron said:

Not to dampen your spirits but I've just read that Liverpool have never lost back to back games under Klopp...not sure how true this is mind.

August 29th lost 0-3 at home to West Ham then 3-1 at Old Trafford on Sept 13th after international break (and it's fucking consecutive, not back-to-back; we're English ffs:majoroverreactionalert:).

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

I would definitely agree with that Richarlison for Bernard and Tosun up front, but Silva isn'ttt going to change a winning team and who can blame him.

No he won’t and I can see why he won’t. Would be nice if he did though 😉

5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Loved what Marco said today in his press conference. He talks just how I want an Everton manager to. Fuck the opposition. We respect them but we aren’t worried or fearful, we want to win 

Don't get me wrong, but I'd rather lose this game 4-3 than tie 0-0. We should absolutely go after them. Of course, I'd rather win 4-3.

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Don't get me wrong, but I'd rather lose this game 4-3 than tie 0-0. We should absolutely go after them. Of course, I'd rather win 4-3.

46 minutes ago, sibdane said:

I'd rather draw 0-0 than lose honestly. Points are points. 

Can see positives in both, but I don't think they'll put four past us and I don't think we'll put three past them. Odd goal in three I reckon, with a bit of luck and an under-par performance from them in our favour.