IGNORED

Manchester City (Away) Saturday December 15th

markjazzbassist

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Mina has to move forward into the space IMO. With everyone else in front of him out of position, he needs to be able to cover the front post. Digne should be falling in line and if that leaves a spare man at the back post then so be it.

Another big chance for us, this time Walcott.

Bit annoyed by Walcott in this bust up. DCL putting everything on the line to win the ball and the back and Walcott then pulls himself out of a ball he should win. Poor challenge from Delph there too.

Why does he need to cover his from post when his man is behind him. That makes no sense. He just need to stay tight that’s it 

Just now, Finn balor said:

Why does he need to cover his from post when his man is behind him. That makes no sense. He just need to stay tight that’s it 

Because as a back 4 you defend the goal as a unit. You watch them anytime the "front post" CB moves out of position, those behind will cover the space, with the 2nd CB moving into the space ahead of him, and the fall back shuffling across. If you had a defensive midfielder, they could fill into those positions as well but there wasnt one in that situation.

You need to cover that space because its the ideal location for another player to arrive into. John Terry was on of the best for covering that space because 90% of the time you can cut the ball out long before it gets anywhere near an opposition player.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Because as a back 4 you defend the goal as a unit. You watch them anytime the "front post" CB moves out of position, those behind will cover the space, with the 2nd CB moving into the space ahead of him, and the fall back shuffling across. If you had a defensive midfielder, they could fill into those positions as well but there wasnt one in that situation.

You need to cover that space because its the ideal location for another player to arrive into. John Terry was on of the best for covering that space because 90% of the time you can cut the ball out long before it gets anywhere near an opposition player.

Your talking like it’s a regimented back four. The end of the day Mina was ball watching. He went towards the ball and let his man pull away giving him a free header. There’s no point covering space when there’s nobody there. Just mark your man and sterling doesn’t win the header. It’s like zonal marking. Waste of time 

Wasn't expecting anything and the performance still had promising aspects. 

We had 3 chances which could have been goals and in time those will be goals. Imagine what we could have done today with a proper striker. 

Lookman has almost certainly claimed a starting spot. 

5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Worst performance of the season for me. Keane Zouma and Lookman only come out with credit 

The guy in the studio after the game wondered why Silva doesn’t trust Lookman to start. Put another way, Lookman really impressed today, and I agree. I kept wanting others to pass to him because he always looks like he’ll make something happen. 

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Your talking like it’s a regimented back four. The end of the day Mina was ball watching. He went towards the ball and let his man pull away giving him a free header. There’s no point covering space when there’s nobody there. Just mark your man and sterling doesn’t win the header. It’s like zonal marking. Waste of time 

The defensive line is the most regimented part of the side, even in dealing with situations like that. They cant practice that exact situation obviously but they will do things to replicate that scenario. If I remember rightly you see Digne moving to where he should be and then he switches off. Its a combined mistake because Zouma and Keane dont cover themselves in glory, there is no midfield in support and then the rest is well documented.

Much like the goal before it, which really isn'tt that dissimilar with Keane and Mina (Zouma has moved out of his zone, Keane moves forward and Mina doesnt cover Jesus).

I have no idea how you can say zonal marking is a waste of time, thats up there with the most ridiculous things I have heard on here. Formations are built upon zonal marking. I presume you just prefer players chasing after others no matter where they go on the pitch?

When I saw the formation, I didnt expect anything different.

I thought Zouma was the pick of the defenders, Gomes tried in midfield but he had no help whatsoever and even though DCL looked like he had never played with this bunch he gave his all and the 3 subs made an impact.

Write that one off and move onto the next game.