IGNORED

Manchester City (Away) Saturday December 15th

markjazzbassist

City might play with no recognised number  nine so all there play will go through their midfield. D Silva not playing is huge so they will rely on sane and and sterling for their pace and to play one twos around the box. Is there a case for flooding the middle of the park? I’m not advocating it but a line up like this might keep it tight for the first sixty minutes. 

Pickford

Keane        Zouma    Mina

coleman Gilfi  gana    Gomes     Digne

Bernard 

Richarlison

if we are still in the game we could revert back to 4-3-3 and with so many defenders on the pitch allows us to have plenty of attacking options on the bench. If fat Sam would have played a formation like this we wouldn’t have got out of our half but I think  Marco has the players working tremendously hard off the ball and it would give us plenty of chance to counter attack 

Pickford

Coleman Keane Zouma Digne

Gana Gomes

Walcott Siggy Richarlison

DCL

Walcott provides more cover than Lookman so it makes sense to have him there. Richarlison provides more cover than Bernard so same reasons there too. We need the engine that is Gana is this match, putting in Davies in this game in place of Gana would be suicide and we lack any other options, however I'm not a fan of Ganas recent form. Keane and Zouma are our best central pairing and would be best suited against Aguero should he play. 

I don't expect to see DCL upfront but I'd like to see him there. 

With any luck we can get a point. 

The key to this game is Gana and Gomes working as a pair and not allowing acres of space in the middle, against Watford there was no understanding between them and for a majority of the game there was 30-40yards between them and Watford took advantage and dominated the middle of the park, do that against City and we loose 3 or 4 nil. 

10 hours ago, Aidan said:

Pickford

Coleman Keane Zouma Digne

Gana Gomes

Walcott Siggy Richarlison

DCL

Walcott provides more cover than Lookman so it makes sense to have him there. Richarlison provides more cover than Bernard so same reasons there too. We need the engine that is Gana is this match, putting in Davies in this game in place of Gana would be suicide and we lack any other options, however I'm not a fan of Ganas recent form. Keane and Zouma are our best central pairing and would be best suited against Aguero should he play. 

I don't expect to see DCL upfront but I'd like to see him there. 

With any luck we can get a point. 

Who ever plays uptop between DCL, Charlie or tosun I hope they stick on otamendi and just get into him all night. He acts a hard man but he is weak as piss.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Who ever plays uptop between DCL, Charlie or tosun I hope they stick on otamendi and just get into him all night. He acts a hard man but he is weak as piss.

Yeah dom is probably best suited to that. He's not the most aggressive but he's certainly the strongest, quickest and best in the air out of all 3.

Playing him there gives us a more dynamic counter than any of the other two. Get it to him in the air and he will win it, or put it down the channel and he will chase it. 

He's already filled out a little from last season and if he can put more weight on without compromising speed he will be an absolute beast of a player - just needs to learn how to finish! 

Whilst I don't think we will get anything from the game I don't think we will get a battering, City have been playing midweek football so won't have the legs to go all out. 

Personally, I'd pack the midfield and stop them from playing football, force them to play direct balls which should be meat and drink for Mina and Zouma (Pickford too).

Pickford

Coleman, Mina, Zouma, Digne 

Gueye, Gomes, Sigurdsson 

Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison

Tosun

I can't make the formation in the middle of the post as I'm on my phone but you get the idea. Sigurdsson drops back a touch into the midfield three when we don't have the ball and pushes forward when we have it. Gomes and Gueye drop deep to stop them passing, any high balls are dealt with by Mina or Zouma. Having the midfield packed forces them wide and any crosses are dealt with by Mina or Zouma as already mentioned. 

Calvert-Lewin, whilst not my favourite player can operate as a winger and striker so he gets in ahead of Walcott. When we don't have the ball he drops deep with Charlie making the midefield something of a five although when we have the ball gets forward and if the ball is on the opposite flank comes into the middle to give us two up top. 

Tosun, again isn'tt our best choice striker but with us playing with a deep formation it is likely that we will need someone up top to bring down the high balls and hold up the play for overlapping wingers and wing-backs, Cenk does that perfectly for me. 

A draw would be a great result, a win obviously even better! Marco Silva seems to get the lads ticking in the big games so hopefully that happens again here. 

As much as people have been calling for a striker can we say we have given tosun the right amount of time. As much as gylfi and charlie have been in good scoring form I think we need a player who just sticks to the centre backs and looks or through balls and crosses. Over the last 3 games we are in danger of being like a bobby m side moving the ball around the box for 5 minutes before losing it with no threat. I want the opposition defence to be nervous about a striker on their shoulder who will score with one chance. the other thing I am not sure about is tosun hasn't been given a run of games in the current set up when we are creating more chances.

Aguero and de Bruyne could be back tommorow. I just want us to have a go at them. If you sit back they will pick you apart so we just have to go for it. Probably the same team as usual, would be fun to see if we played two up front. Either Charly off Cenk or DCL or Bernard playing off Charly would be interesting 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Aguero and de Bruyne could be back tommorow. I just want us to have a go at them. If you sit back they will pick you apart so we just have to go for it. Probably the same team as usual, would be fun to see if we played two up front. Either Charly off Cenk or DCL or Bernard playing off Charly would be interesting 

What? Are you kidding? Has he even played in any cup matches yet?

EDIT: Whoops, for some reason I was thinking you meant Charsley. Excuse me while I see myself out.

I’d be going with a mobile frontline to press their defence, so either DCL or Richo up front. I’d be tempted to go with DCL to help us retain the ball a bit more, while still providing a counter attack and pressing option. 

I’ve also been a bit worried about Mina, so wouldn’t mind seeing the Zouma-Keane partnership re-established. 

Pickford

Coleman.     Keane.   Mina.     Digne. 

Gana.  

Lookman.         Gomes.      Richarlison.

Bernard. 

DCL.   

I agree with Aaron our best chance is on the counter and I think Sigurdsson has been slightly off the boil lately and although no slouch he can slow play down at times so I'd move Bernard behind DCL in his natural position to thread balls through etc 

Either way you put it on paper it's hard to say how it will pan out, if City turn up we've fucked it  

If gana doesn’t play I’d move sigi deeper alongside Gomes. Gilfi still covers plenty of ground in that role .

Pickford

coleman        Keane.      Mina.      Digne

Gilfi.        Man crush

Lookman        Bernard.        Charly

DCL