IGNORED

Brighton (Away) Saturday December 29th

markjazzbassist

The festive period will be in full swing with plenty of matches every few days.  They are 3 points below us at the moment, this is a match i expect us to win regardless of where it's played.  Hughton will have them be resolute in defense and hope to hit us on the counter or set pieces with their big men.  

Pickford

Kenny Keane Zouma Digne

Gana   Gomes 

Walcott   Gylfi    Richarlison

DCL

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Gana  Gomes 

Walcott   Gylfi    Bernard

Richarlison 

Hopefully Gueye is fit so we can return to 4 at the back. Mina deserves his place along side Keane after last time out.

The rest of the team picks its self - Walcott is the only option on the right with Mola out, Bernard should keep his spot leaving Richarlison up front.

As Finn stated its going to be a tough game - I can't see us losing but if we win it will only be by a goal.

Pickford

Kenny Keane Zouma Mina Digne

Gana

Lookman Bernard Richarlison

DCL

sorry, can’t really edit it on my phone to look pretty. But Coleman needs a rest (to be polite), as does Gomes (for good reasons though). Kenny and Digne playing a high press wing back role, Gana sitting in front of the back 3 filling in for whichever wingback pushed up. 

DCL deserves his spot up top, he is a quality player, finishing aside but that will improve so long as he’s given chances and minutes. With that 3 behind him, he’ll get chances in spades. 

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

Pickford

Kenny Keane Zouma Mina Digne

Gana

Lookman Bernard Richarlison

DCL

sorry, can’t really edit it on my phone to look pretty. But Coleman needs a rest (to be polite), as does Gomes (for good reasons though). Kenny and Digne playing a high press wing back role, Gana sitting in front of the back 3 filling in for whichever wingback pushed up. 

DCL deserves his spot up top, he is a quality player, finishing aside but that will improve so long as he’s given chances and minutes. With that 3 behind him, he’ll get chances in spades. 

To much tinkering. 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

How so? That’s 8 of the same starting 11. You just don’t want Gana there :rolleyes: kinda sad that you’re negging the post just because Gomes needs a rest and Gana is the only viable backup 

Completely changing right hand side of the team do you know Lookman and Kenny are a good combination, big gamble. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Completely changing right hand side of the team do you know Lookman and Kenny are a good combination, big gamble. 

So do you keep Coleman despite his awful performances? I don’t mind Walcott staying as the starter but he needs a rest too, and we have a squad to use with a young winger wanting to prove a point. I actually think the right side looks better with the two young players there

What is up with lookman? I don’t think we need three centre halves against Brighton as they only really play Murray on his own as far as I know. Then again why would you change a team that has just won 1-5 away. I’d keep a winning team as we looked good going forward and could have had more goals. 1-3 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

So do you keep Coleman despite his awful performances? I don’t mind Walcott staying as the starter but he needs a rest too, and we have a squad to use with a young winger wanting to prove a point. I actually think the right side looks better with the two young players there

Well I've not seen that before what game did they start together, not against trying new combinations but for me that's a step to far completely changing both where's the experience coming from.

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And DCL scored plenty of goals, Mike get with the reality mate this is the toughest league in the world not kids playing kids.

Also means there’s an understanding between the right side and also the striker if DCL plays upfront again. Failing to see the downside. 

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Also means there’s an understanding between the right side and also the striker if DCL plays upfront again. Failing to see the downside. 

The downside is we hadn't won for 5 games in a row 3 of the games we shouldn't of expected to win but 1or 2 points would have been nice, but 2 of them games we should have excepted to win comfortably. Then we go and win 5-1 and the next game you want to make big changes to the line up and completely change the right hand side of the team with two not very experienced players who haven't started together in the league when most people would say keep a winning team together especially one that had been struggling lately, that's why I said to much tinkering nothing to do with Gana though I freely admit I wouldn't start him why would you want to go from exciting attacking football which we saw against Burnley to a more defensive negative game with Gana back in the team.

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The downside is we hadn't won for 5 games in a row 3 of the games we shouldn't of expected to win but 1or 2 points would have been nice, but 2 of them games we should have excepted to win comfortably. Then we go and win 5-1 and the next game you want to make big changes to the line up and completely change the right hand side of the team with two not very experienced players who haven't started together in the league when most people would say keep a winning team together especially one that had been struggling lately, that's why I said to much tinkering nothing to do with Gana though I freely admit I wouldn't start him why would you want to go from exciting attacking football which we saw against Burnley to a more defensive negative game with Gana back in the team.

I’m all for keeping a winning formula usually, but with the sheer volume of games at the moment we need to rotate. Rotation is part of the reason for success last game too. 3 changes is not big changes in my opinion, especially when one of them is for a player who’s been our weakest link (Coleman). Walcott and Siggy need some rest too, and I’d like to see Bernard in the centre so the only real change then is the RW. 

Brighton will be a lot quicker with the ball, and having pace on the wings will be perfect on the counter

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I’m all for keeping a winning formula usually, but with the sheer volume of games at the moment we need to rotate. Rotation is part of the reason for success last game too. 3 changes is not big changes in my opinion, especially when one of them is for a player who’s been our weakest link (Coleman). Walcott and Siggy need some rest too, and I’d like to see Bernard in the centre so the only real change then is the RW. 

Brighton will be a lot quicker with the ball, and having pace on the wings will be perfect on the counter

But Lookman doesn't like tracking the left back into our half he had a good opportunity a few games ago and he left us exposed that's why Walcott came straight back in when he was dropped for him, I still think it's an unnecessary move to change both players on the right, but it's evident where not going to agree so let's just agree to disagree and move on, after all it's not a biggie.

Just now, Palfy said:

But Lookman doesn't like tracking the left back into our half he had a good opportunity a few games ago and he left us exposed that's why Walcott came straight back in when he was dropped for him, I still think it's an unnecessary move to change both players on the right, but it's evident where not going to agree so let's just agree to disagree and move on, after all it's not a biggie.

I understand the concern, which is why I’d play Gana to cover the ground that Lookman wouldn’t necessarily cover. It’s just not that big a deal to me :) 

12 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We will likely go back to 4 at the back- think Marco wanted to match Burnley's 2 strikers with 3 CB's. Brighton completely different set up.

I think you’re right, but on the flip side Bernard seemed to suit the inside forward role he played with Digne playing LWB, so it might be worth persevering with. 

Pickford.

Colman.     Keane.     Mina.   Digne

Bernard.     Gomes.

Walcott.          Gylfi.       Richarlison

DCL.

I'm going for creativity with Bernard although if you work by stats against Burnley he put in 4 of our 6 tackles and made 4 interceptions so he doesn't completely lack in that department. But what I think he will bring to the team from that position is forward momentum when he picks the ball up he's ability to run at them with it will be an asset, and he make a telling passes I personally just think he's the player we've been looking for in that position a complete box to box all rounder, if he can strike up a good relationship with Gylfi with interplay and covering for each other we could be onto something here.