IGNORED

Lincoln City (FA CUP Home) Saturday January 5th

markjazzbassist

3 hours ago, barryj said:

This competition is the only bit of real excitement left in this season. Let’s not take anything for granted. I remember loads on here moaning about the team selection that led to us going out of the league cup. Let’s play a strong side (with a few like for like replacements) and make the changes and give key players a rest when the games won.  

Let’s hope Marco feels the same way. A good cup run might just get the season moving again.

19 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

I know, but I honestly believe the "second" team will put in a better performance.  I really don't think the first 11 have the energy/wherewithal to do it.

I'd rest a few forward thinking players, Gomes, Richarlison and Gylfi spring to mind to give them a break.

No need whatsoever to rest Pickford but we will. Defence is covered by perfectly adequate PL quality back-up so play Kenny, Jags, Mina and Baines for me. Gana's only played one game so no need to rest him at all, pair him with McCarthy and tell him to make more of those runs we see occasionally. Add Davies, Lookman, Tosun and probably Niasse. That in my opinion (I never get involved in picking sides in this thread so no idea why I've started today) is a team from the first team squad rather than being the "first team" or a "second team" so should be able to do the job.

18 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Erm that they are in the bottom division and they are hoping for a good day out. You think they would say that about Liverpool, city, Tottenham etc 

But they are playing us. Every team expects to win when playing us. 

It’s not like we’re a Burnley or Southampton.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Erm that they are in the bottom division and they are hoping for a good day out. You think they would say that about Liverpool, city, Tottenham etc 

Of course they would, what's the point of going to a match expecting to lose? I came up with a minibus full of Woking fans in 1991 and they all thought they had a chance  (I was sat with them in the away seats, upper Park end before rebuild) and they believed and as it turned out were unlucky to lose. Everton fans to their huge credit stayed and applauded Woking's lap of honour. The "big" boys will be playing lesser line ups, Bradford beating Chelsea (under Mourinho) springs to mind.

No way are lower teams fans going to a game resigned to a loss. I went with my local non-league team to Watford and Shrewsbury as a kid and lost 4-2 (having been 1-2 up at half time) v Watford and 1-2 at Shrewsbury. 11 v 11 and anything can happen, lower teams raise their games against better players. That applies to any sporting contest for me.

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Of course they would, what's the point of going to a match expecting to lose? I came up with a minibus full of Woking fans in 1991 and they all thought they had a chance  (I was sat with them in the away seats, upper Park end before rebuild) and they believed and as it turned out were unlucky to lose. Everton fans to their huge credit stayed and applauded Woking's lap of honour. The "big" boys will be playing lesser line ups, Bradford beating Chelsea (under Mourinho) springs to mind.

No way are lower teams fans going to a game resigned to a loss. I went with my local non-league team to Watford and Shrewsbury as a kid and lost 4-2 (having been 1-2 up at half time) v Watford and 1-2 at Shrewsbury. 11 v 11 and anything can happen, lower teams raise their games against better players. That applies to any sporting contest for me.

Well you obviously are glass half full kind of guy. I hope you don’t have a betting account 😂

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Hope McCarthy gets a few minutes, shame about the rest of the bench. If you're not giving kids a chance in a cup game what hope will they have of ever getting an appearance. Even just give one spot on the bench as a reward for one of them playing well in the u23's. 

Agreed. Not saying we shouldn't be taking this one seriously, but this is a lineup we would put out for a PL match. I expected to see a little more rotation than this.