markjazzbassist

Southampton (Away) Saturday January 19th

Let’s keep the positive results coming.  Keep lookman in the lineup and have a go Away from home.  Should be 3 points 

Pickford

Coleman keane zouma digne

Gana gomes 

lookman      Gylfi        Bernard

Richarlison 

They may be struggling but they've been scoring. I think it'll be a question of out-scoring them so I'd go with

Pickford

Kenny keane zouma digne

Gana  

lookman      Gylfi   Bernard      Richarlison

DCL

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

No doubt but they have little quality player wise.  We can and should beat them.

Doesn't matter about player quality, a little belief and confidence can be huge in this league.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

They may be struggling but they've been scoring. I think it'll be a question of out-scoring them so I'd go with

Pickford

Kenny keane zouma digne

Gana  

DCL

Came here to post that lineup.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Pickford

Kenny keane zouma digne

Gana  

DCL

Why would you drop Gomes? He was class at the weekend.

Personally I would start the same 11 with the only possible change being Coleman/Kenny.

15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Personally I would start the same 11 with the only possible change being Coleman/Kenny.

I'd agree with your selection but while Gomes was good he could easily have cost us two points by conceding a needless penalty (which he would've done had the ref seen it) and being very fortunate to avoid a red.

Wouldn't drop him because he's too good for that but needs to take the risk out of his game.

Same XI as Bournemouth.

Too often guilty of hyperbole and this is impossible to prove but I really feel this game can define our season - or at least January and February. Win at Southampton and the sustained momentum carries over to Millwall which carries over to the now manager-less Huddersfield. Then you're in or close to 7th with Wolves, Watford and an FA 5th round tie before Man City visits. We could be rolling.

I always come back to this - it's the hope that kills you...

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I’m a big fan of his but he was completely off his game at the weekend and should’ve been sent off. He had moments of class but wasn’t even in the top 5-6 for MOTM consideration. 

Plus, if I’m going to play one DCM then Ganas defensive attributes come first. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I'd agree with your selection but while Gomes was good he could easily have cost us two points by conceding a needless penalty (which he would've done had the ref seen it) and being very fortunate to avoid a red.

Wouldn't drop him because he's too good for that but needs to take the risk out of his game.

Yeh I agree he was a bit petulant but none of the challenges were actually that bad. He was booked for nothing, and there wasnt much in the grab but on another day it could have been a penalty and a sending off so I understand your point.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’m a big fan of his but he was completely off his game at the weekend and should’ve been sent off. He had moments of class but wasn’t even in the top 5-6 for MOTM consideration. 

Plus, if I’m going to play one DCM then Ganas defensive attributes come first. 

I thought he was massive for us at the weekend. He was the one that eventually got hold of the game after that half hour and set us forward. Anyone else and we would have probably lost the game.

I dont disagree with the reasoning behind the last bit .

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I've not seen anything of them under the new manager. Does anyone know if they are any good now? Results are so so.

Yes he has completely turned their season around and now they look organised and dangerous going forward, we are going to have one tough game against them and if we can't get the midfield working in unison then there's a real possibility we will lose this one.

39 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

they play derby today in the FA cup.  i'm hoping they get thrashed

My tired head is probably wrong, but I’m hoping for a penalty shootout so they play as long as possible....

... and then lose. 

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i like yours better, i think FA cup they do a replay right?

Can’t remember from which round that stops though. 

6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Wasn’t bothered who won just wanted the 120 on their legs 

This for me. I’ve always had a soft spot for Southampton but I’ll take this if it helps us. 

Watch them batter us now :lol: 

not interested in saints as long as we beat them properly,  I want to settle back and enjoy the football again.  I can not remember the last time I did that.

10 minutes ago, rubecula said:

not interested in saints as long as we beat them properly,  I want to settle back and enjoy the football again.  I can not remember the last time I did that.

Did you miss the Burnley match? I thought that was pretty enjoyable.

1 minute ago, nyblue23 said:

Did you miss the Burnley match? I thought that was pretty enjoyable.

no but I didn't enjoy it until it was over with.  I want to relax into a game ( like getting into a hot bath.) I want to enjoy a match from start to finish for once.  as I said a few minutes ago  I want to enjoy football again.

45 minutes ago, rubecula said:

no but I didn't enjoy it until it was over with.  I want to relax into a game ( like getting into a hot bath.) I want to enjoy a match from start to finish for once.  as I said a few minutes ago  I want to enjoy football again.

Fighting to keep that image out of my brain.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fighting to keep that image out of my brain.

let you into a secret Mike,  not been able to have a hot bath in years  I can not get in or out of a bath  lol:blink2:  I shower instead

1 hour ago, rubecula said:

We opened the scoring in the first 2 minutes, doubled the lead within the first 15 minutes and were 3-0 up before 25 minutes were gone. If you can’t relax into that game then you never will. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We opened the scoring in the first 2 minutes, doubled the lead within the first 15 minutes and were 3-0 up before 25 minutes were gone. If you can’t relax into that game then you never will. 

I want to relax before the ball is even moving  ,  but I understand what you are saying  oddly I remember relaxing before the rapid game on Rotterdam 

I think it may be down to confidence

17 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I want to relax before the ball is even moving  ,  but I understand what you are saying  oddly I remember relaxing before the rapid game on Rotterdam 

Have a few beers mate that usually helps.

23 minutes ago, rubecula said:

Said it before but back in those days I was totally relaxed if we conceded first, just thought, "OK you'll pay for that" and more often than no "they" did.

We have to be careful not to give too many free kicks away, ward-prowse has real quality in his delivery. Same team as last week for me to start. Is ings playing tommorow? I still think we will win this. 0-2 Keane and Charley 

6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

We have to be careful not to give too many free kicks away, ward-prowse has real quality in his delivery. Same team as last week for me to start. Is ings playing tommorow? I still think we will win this. 0-2 Keane and Charley 

Yeah they're fragile after that defeat and have quite a few players missing. Expecting a win.

12 hours ago, Finn balor said:

apparently Ings is playing.

20 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I suppose he has already got his obligatory goal against us 

As I dropped him from my fantasy team because they had him down in red (meaning injured definitely won't play) he's a shoe-in for a hat-trick:shakingfist:.

Pickford

Coleman     Keane      Zouma     Digne

Gueye 

Gomes            Bernard 

Lookman                                 Richarlison

DCL

I was tempted to go with Kenny but Coleman is quicker and more experienced and Redmond might have a field day with Kenny 

Give Sigurdsson a break although his stats haven't been bad he hasn't  looked as effective of late and Gomes Bernard both put the yards in and I'd like to see what Bernard can do drifting forward centrally

DCL deserves a start he's had a great week so his confidence should be sky high 

17 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Pickford

Coleman     Keane      Zouma     Digne

Gueye 

Gomes            Bernard 

Lookman                                 Richarlison

DCL

I was tempted to go with Kenny but Coleman is quicker and more experienced and Redmond might have a field day with Kenny 

Give Sigurdsson a break although his stats haven't been bad he hasn't  looked as effective of late and Gomes Bernard both put the yards in and I'd like to see what Bernard can do drifting forward centrally

DCL deserves a start he's had a great week so his confidence should be sky high 

I would be happy with that line up. I think Bernard could be a real influence on the game from the middle.

Yeah that goes for me too, always said Bernard would be better inside, plus siggy needs a rest cos hes looked a bit sluggish lately.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

They better click quicker than last game 

Thinking the same. We can’t take another 30 minutes to get it together. We could be chasing the game by then. Come out with intent. 

Hm. I don't like this line-up much. Only thing I like is Bernard and Lookman playing in those positions. DCL should definitely be in and really... Baines deserves to play after his excellent play against Lincoln. Granted, it was not against a Premier League team, but still.

Gana and Gomes. Well, if Gana hold his position and doesn't run all over the bloody place playing too many pointless passings then I'm sure Gomes might get a good game.

Tough one to call because stability is not something the team possesses at this point. And Richarlison... stay on your damn feet, man.

Well. Hopefully it will be a good game to watch and 3 points to us.

2 minutes ago, Sev said:

Hm. I don't like this line-up much. Only thing I like is Bernard and Lookman playing in those positions. DCL should definitely be in and really... Baines deserves to play after his excellent play against Lincoln. Granted, it was not against a Premier League team, but still.

Gana and Gomes. Well, if Gana hold his position and doesn't run all over the bloody place playing too many pointless passings then I'm sure Gomes might get a good game.

Tough one to call because stability is not something the team possesses at this point. And Richarlison... stay on your damn feet, man.

Well. Hopefully it will be a good game to watch and 3 points to us.

You want to bench Digne, who has arguably been our best player all season, for Baines, who happened to play well against a League Two side? 

Go on....