Jump to content
markjazzbassist

Southampton (Away) Saturday January 19th

Recommended Posts

Let’s keep the positive results coming.  Keep lookman in the lineup and have a go Away from home.  Should be 3 points 

 

                      Pickford

 Coleman keane zouma digne

                  Gana gomes 

lookman      Gylfi        Bernard

                       Richarlison 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may be struggling but they've been scoring. I think it'll be a question of out-scoring them so I'd go with

         Pickford

 Kenny keane zouma digne

                  Gana  

lookman      Gylfi   Bernard      Richarlison

                    DCL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

No doubt but they have little quality player wise.  We can and should beat them.

Doesn't matter about player quality, a little belief and confidence can be huge in this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matt said:

They may be struggling but they've been scoring. I think it'll be a question of out-scoring them so I'd go with

         Pickford

 Kenny keane zouma digne

                  Gana  

lookman      Gylfi   Bernard      Richarlison

                    DCL

Came here to post that lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matt said:

They may be struggling but they've been scoring. I think it'll be a question of out-scoring them so I'd go with

         Pickford

 Kenny keane zouma digne

                  Gana  

lookman      Gylfi   Bernard      Richarlison

                    DCL

Why would you drop Gomes? He was class at the weekend.

Personally I would start the same 11 with the only possible change being Coleman/Kenny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Why would you drop Gomes? He was class at the weekend.

Personally I would start the same 11 with the only possible change being Coleman/Kenny.

I'd agree with your selection but while Gomes was good he could easily have cost us two points by conceding a needless penalty (which he would've done had the ref seen it) and being very fortunate to avoid a red.

Wouldn't drop him because he's too good for that but needs to take the risk out of his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same XI as Bournemouth.

Too often guilty of hyperbole and this is impossible to prove but I really feel this game can define our season - or at least January and February. Win at Southampton and the sustained momentum carries over to Millwall which carries over to the now manager-less Huddersfield. Then you're in or close to 7th with Wolves, Watford and an FA 5th round tie before Man City visits. We could be rolling.

I always come back to this - it's the hope that kills you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Why would you drop Gomes? He was class at the weekend.

Personally I would start the same 11 with the only possible change being Coleman/Kenny.

I’m a big fan of his but he was completely off his game at the weekend and should’ve been sent off. He had moments of class but wasn’t even in the top 5-6 for MOTM consideration. 

 Plus, if I’m going to play one DCM then Ganas defensive attributes come first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I'd agree with your selection but while Gomes was good he could easily have cost us two points by conceding a needless penalty (which he would've done had the ref seen it) and being very fortunate to avoid a red.

Wouldn't drop him because he's too good for that but needs to take the risk out of his game.

Yeh I agree he was a bit petulant but none of the challenges were actually that bad. He was booked for nothing, and there wasnt much in the grab but on another day it could have been a penalty and a sending off so I understand your point.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’m a big fan of his but he was completely off his game at the weekend and should’ve been sent off. He had moments of class but wasn’t even in the top 5-6 for MOTM consideration. 

 Plus, if I’m going to play one DCM then Ganas defensive attributes come first. 

I thought he was massive for us at the weekend. He was the one that eventually got hold of the game after that half hour and set us forward. Anyone else and we would have probably lost the game.

I dont disagree with the reasoning behind the last bit .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I've not seen anything of them under the new manager. Does anyone know if they are any good now? Results are so so.

Yes he has completely turned their season around and now they look organised and dangerous going forward, we are going to have one tough game against them and if we can't get the midfield working in unison then there's a real possibility we will lose this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

they play derby today in the FA cup.  i'm hoping they get thrashed

My tired head is probably wrong, but I’m hoping for a penalty shootout so they play as long as possible....

... and then lose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i like yours better, i think FA cup they do a replay right?

Can’t remember from which round that stops though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Wasn’t bothered who won just wanted the 120 on their legs 

This for me. I’ve always had a soft spot for Southampton but I’ll take this if it helps us. 

Watch them batter us now :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not interested in saints as long as we beat them properly,  I want to settle back and enjoy the football again.  I can not remember the last time I did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rubecula said:

not interested in saints as long as we beat them properly,  I want to settle back and enjoy the football again.  I can not remember the last time I did that.

Did you miss the Burnley match? I thought that was pretty enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nyblue23 said:

Did you miss the Burnley match? I thought that was pretty enjoyable.

no but I didn't enjoy it until it was over with.  I want to relax into a game ( like getting into a hot bath.) I want to enjoy a match from start to finish for once.  as I said a few minutes ago  I want to enjoy football again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, rubecula said:

no but I didn't enjoy it until it was over with.  I want to relax into a game ( like getting into a hot bath.) I want to enjoy a match from start to finish for once.  as I said a few minutes ago  I want to enjoy football again.

 

Fighting to keep that image out of my brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fighting to keep that image out of my brain.

let you into a secret Mike,  not been able to have a hot bath in years  I can not get in or out of a bath  lol:blink2:  I shower instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rubecula said:

no but I didn't enjoy it until it was over with.  I want to relax into a game ( like getting into a hot bath.) I want to enjoy a match from start to finish for once.  as I said a few minutes ago  I want to enjoy football again.

 

We opened the scoring in the first 2 minutes, doubled the lead within the first 15 minutes and were 3-0 up before 25 minutes were gone. If you can’t relax into that game then you never will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We opened the scoring in the first 2 minutes, doubled the lead within the first 15 minutes and were 3-0 up before 25 minutes were gone. If you can’t relax into that game then you never will. 

I want to relax before the ball is even moving  ,  but I understand what you are saying  oddly I remember relaxing before the rapid game on Rotterdam 

I think it may be down to confidence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I want to relax before the ball is even moving  ,  but I understand what you are saying  oddly I remember relaxing before the rapid game on Rotterdam 

I think it may be down to confidence

Have a few beers mate that usually helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I want to relax before the ball is even moving  ,  but I understand what you are saying  oddly I remember relaxing before the rapid game on Rotterdam 

I think it may be down to confidence

Said it before but back in those days I was totally relaxed if we conceded first, just thought, "OK you'll pay for that" and more often than no "they" did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to be careful not to give too many free kicks away, ward-prowse has real quality in his delivery. Same team as last week for me to start. Is ings playing tommorow? I still think we will win this. 0-2 Keane and Charley 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

We have to be careful not to give too many free kicks away, ward-prowse has real quality in his delivery. Same team as last week for me to start. Is ings playing tommorow? I still think we will win this. 0-2 Keane and Charley 

Yeah they're fragile after that defeat and have quite a few players missing. Expecting a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Finn balor said:

We have to be careful not to give too many free kicks away, ward-prowse has real quality in his delivery. Same team as last week for me to start. Is ings playing tommorow? I still think we will win this. 0-2 Keane and Charley 

apparently Ings is playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I suppose he has already got his obligatory goal against us 

As I dropped him from my fantasy team because they had him down in red (meaning injured definitely won't play) he's a shoe-in for a hat-trick:shakingfist:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                          Pickford

Coleman     Keane      Zouma     Digne

                            Gueye 

               Gomes            Bernard 

Lookman                                 Richarlison

                              DCL

I was tempted to go with Kenny but Coleman is quicker and more experienced and Redmond might have a field day with Kenny 

Give Sigurdsson a break although his stats haven't been bad he hasn't  looked as effective of late and Gomes Bernard both put the yards in and I'd like to see what Bernard can do drifting forward centrally

DCL deserves a start he's had a great week so his confidence should be sky high 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

                          Pickford

Coleman     Keane      Zouma     Digne

                            Gueye 

               Gomes            Bernard 

Lookman                                 Richarlison

                              DCL

I was tempted to go with Kenny but Coleman is quicker and more experienced and Redmond might have a field day with Kenny 

Give Sigurdsson a break although his stats haven't been bad he hasn't  looked as effective of late and Gomes Bernard both put the yards in and I'd like to see what Bernard can do drifting forward centrally

DCL deserves a start he's had a great week so his confidence should be sky high 

I would be happy with that line up. I think Bernard could be a real influence on the game from the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that goes for me too, always said Bernard would be better inside, plus siggy needs a rest cos hes looked a bit sluggish lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Matt said:

They better click quicker than last game 

Thinking the same. We can’t take another 30 minutes to get it together. We could be chasing the game by then. Come out with intent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm. I don't like this line-up much. Only thing I like is Bernard and Lookman playing in those positions. DCL should definitely be in and really... Baines deserves to play after his excellent play against Lincoln. Granted, it was not against a Premier League team, but still.

Gana and Gomes. Well, if Gana hold his position and doesn't run all over the bloody place playing too many pointless passings then I'm sure Gomes might get a good game.

Tough one to call because stability is not something the team possesses at this point. And Richarlison... stay on your damn feet, man.

Well. Hopefully it will be a good game to watch and 3 points to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sev said:

Hm. I don't like this line-up much. Only thing I like is Bernard and Lookman playing in those positions. DCL should definitely be in and really... Baines deserves to play after his excellent play against Lincoln. Granted, it was not against a Premier League team, but still.

Gana and Gomes. Well, if Gana hold his position and doesn't run all over the bloody place playing too many pointless passings then I'm sure Gomes might get a good game.

Tough one to call because stability is not something the team possesses at this point. And Richarlison... stay on your damn feet, man.

Well. Hopefully it will be a good game to watch and 3 points to us.

You want to bench Digne, who has arguably been our best player all season, for Baines, who happened to play well against a League Two side? 

Go on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×