IGNORED

Wolverhampton (Home) Saturday February 2nd

markjazzbassist

I'm not looking forward to this one, they are playing well right now and we are not.  It's also home which means the pressure and onus will be on us. give gylfi a rest and see what happens

Pickford

Coleman Keane Zouma Digne

Gana Gomes

Lookman    Bernard   Richarlison

DCL

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

New lineup with digne and baines out and Gana off

Pickford

coleman keane zouma kenny

Davies gomes

bErnRd            Gylfi       Richarliaon

Tosun 

Have we signed some new on the right I never new about😀

The key thing about this game is not to over commit. Wolves are brilliant at sitting back and hitting teams on the break. Whenever I have watched them they havent broken teams down over time, they have let teams come onto them and taken advantage of the space they have left. This worries me because if we play like we have been then we will get caught out. 

I would like to see us play like we did against Huddersfield. Keep bodies behind the ball and play them at their game, trying to hit them on the break or with sharp, aggressive attacks and jump on Neves to stop him spreading the ball around. Make them do something special.

37 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The key thing about this game is not to over commit. Wolves are brilliant at sitting back and hitting teams on the break. Whenever I have watched them they havent broken teams down over time, they have let teams come onto them and taken advantage of the space they have left. This worries me because if we play like we have been then we will get caught out. 

I would like to see us play like we did against Huddersfield. Keep bodies behind the ball and play them at their game, trying to hit them on the break or with sharp, aggressive attacks and jump on Neves to stop him spreading the ball around. Make them do something special.

Two of their goals yesterday came from set pieces, so that doesn’t bode well.

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

New lineup with digne and baines out and Gana off

Pickford

coleman keane zouma kenny

Davies gomes

bErnRd            Gylfi       Richarliaon

Tosun 

I’d be weighing up how effective Kenny will be going forward ( if he will even go forward or just sit and defend ) on the left vs how effective putting one of our more mobile CB’s out there and allowing Coleman free role up the right.

Be interesting to see what Marco decides and how he balances the team.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Play like we did against Huddersfield and we’ll get beaten. Wolves have the quality to score goals. We can’t give them as many chances as we gave Huddersfield  without them scoring.

Most of Huddersfield’s opportunities came when we were down to 10 men which is understandable 

what we can’t afford to do is let the FB push to far forward and leave a big space behind them, Neves with his long passing will exploit that all day long, try a 442 and keep it compact that will frustrate the shit out of them. 

21 hours ago, Palfy said:

Most of Huddersfield’s opportunities came when we were down to 10 men which is understandable 

what we can’t afford to do is let the FB push to far forward and leave a big space behind them, Neves with his long passing will exploit that all day long, try a 442 and keep it compact that will frustrate the shit out of them. 

No no, they had seven before the sending off, most of them came before the sending off. Quality of the final ball is irrelevant. You give chances away and you will concede eventually.

Most neautrals and non Gana haters thought we played badly and were lucky to scrape the draw. I think a few want to prove that Gana isnt very good and are playing it down. Not on purpose maybe, but like anything... bias takes over.

Look at the MoM thread, Pickford got a good few votes, with people saying he made two world class saves.... that suggests they had a good go at us.

My point is, not just the efforts on goal, but the overall midfield possession they had. I think Wolves have a much much better midfield thanHuddersfield. And this is why I think, that if we give them the same time on the ball as we gave Huddersfield, they will punish us more.

Edit: just to see what I mean, you have two up votes.... take a guess who those two were 😉 

not saying rightly or wrongly, just that subconsciously they will always look to the positives of Gana not playing, rather than the negatives..... just as I will always look towards the positives. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

No no, they had seven before the sending off, most of them came before the sending off. Quality of the final ball is irrelevant. You give chances away and you will concede eventually.

Most neautrals and non Gana haters thought we played badly and were lucky to scrape the draw. I think a few want to prove that Gana isnt very good and are playing it down. Not on purpose maybe, but like anything... bias takes over.

Look at the MoM thread, Pickford got a good few votes, with people saying he made two world class saves.... that suggests they had a good go at us.

My point is, not just the efforts on goal, but the overall midfield possession they had. I think Wolves have a much much better midfield thanHuddersfield. And this is why I think, that if we give them the same time on the ball as we gave Huddersfield, they will punish us more.

Edit: just to see what I mean, you have two up votes.... take a guess who those two were 😉 

not saying rightly or wrongly, just that subconsciously they will always look to the positives of Gana not playing, rather than the negatives..... just as I will always look towards the positives. 

Probably more because of the Neves threat and to be fair I never mentioned Gana or alluded to him, to be honest and you won’t believe me I never considered him or any other player for that matter just a system that might keep us tight and stop them exploiting the space. 

So I'm going to give you a negative 👎 for that to cancel out oh surprise surprise nyblue23’s like 😂👍

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Probably more because of the Neves threat and to be fair I never mentioned Gana or alluded to him, to be honest and you won’t believe me I never considered him or any other player for that matter just a system that might keep us tight and stop them exploiting the space. 

So I'm going to give you a negative 👎 for that to cancel out oh surprise surprise nyblue23’s like 😂👍

Yeh mine was the Neves threat. If he is allowed to spray it around with our full backs flying forward it will be over inside the first half.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yeh mine was the Neves threat. If he is allowed to spray it around with our full backs flying forward it will be over inside the first half.

There you go Shukes from the horse’s mouth as they say me old mucker nothing to do with Gana, see I can leave Gana out of posts I just can’t leave him out the team 😉

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There you go Shukes from the horse’s mouth as they say me old mucker nothing to do with Gana, see I can leave Gana out of posts I just can’t leave him out the team 😉

Think you misread, or maybe I miswrote (if that’s a word haha )

I meant playing down the Huddersfield chances, but again, I’m sure you knew that haha.

As they say, hate the game, not the player!

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Think you misread, or maybe I miswrote (if that’s a word haha )

I meant playing down the Huddersfield chances, but again, I’m sure you knew that haha.

As they say, hate the game, not the player!

I’m confused.com to be honest mate trying to work out what you said or didn’t say is harder than solving the Rubik’s cube, and I’ve never managed that sadly 😀

Anyone else spending Friday night listening to z-cars and becoming irrationally optimistic about this match? No? Maybe I'm the only one.

Marco is faced with some challenges with the players available. I actually think it is a good test for him. He's not shown a great deal of tactical flexibility and when he's tried it hasn't been great. But he's going to have to come up with something here and Wolves are a decent side. So it will have to be savvy.

It doesn't seem like we have three healthy center backs but we also don't have any available left backs. So my guess is Coleman, Zouma, Keane, Kenny, Davies, Gomes, Siggy, Richarlison, Walcott, and Cenk Tosun. Pickford in goal obviously. 

4 hours ago, Deacs said:

Who would you have as your midfield 4 that you think could do that job?

I would go with.

Pickford.

Coleman.                        Keane.                         Zouma.                          Kenny

Walcott.                          Davies.                        Gomes                        Bernard

Tosun.                         Gylfi.

Gana and Baines are injured and Digne suspended, Walcott and Bernard are good at closing players down and do more defending than Lookman or Richarlison who are both quite lazy when we don't have the ball, Tosun upfront with Gylfi just behind who can but pressure on Neves when we lose the ball to stop him pinging long crosses around from just outside their area.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I would go with.

Pickford.

Coleman.                        Keane.                         Zouma.                          Kenny

Walcott.                          Davies.                        Gomes                        Bernard

Tosun.                         Gylfi.

Gana and Baines are injured and Digne suspended, Walcott and Bernard are good at closing players down and do more defending than Lookman or Richarlison who are both quite lazy when we don't have the ball, Tosun upfront with Gylfi just behind who can but pressure on Neves when we lose the ball to stop him pinging long crosses around from just outside their area.

I can see where you’re going with that line up. Although I would like to see McCarthy start in place of Gomes and I’m not sure Sig is the man to partner Tosun up top. I think I’d go with Bernard as he’d apply that forward pressure you mentioned. I’d probably go with Richarlison over Lookman on the left just based on his ability to score.

No idea what we do at LB without Digne or Baines. 

I think we have to win the midfield, I'd like to see Gana, Davies and Gomes played as a three. That creates a problem of getting Sigurdsson and Richarlison in a front 3 though. I'd be happy to drop one to make us stronger in CM, or play Sig deeper with the understanding he gets hauled off if he keeps getting caught too high up the pitch. On paper, a midfield of Sig, Davies/Gana and Gomes should be great. 

Honestly, our squad is so inflexible. 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

No idea what we do at LB without Digne or Baines. 

I think we have to win the midfield, I'd like to see Gana, Davies and Gomes played as a three. That creates a problem of getting Sigurdsson and Richarlison in a front 3 though. I'd be happy to drop one to make us stronger in CM, or play Sig deeper with the understanding he gets hauled off if he keeps getting caught too high up the pitch. On paper, a midfield of Sig, Davies/Gana and Gomes should be great. 

Honestly, our squad is so inflexible. 

Kenny or 3 at the back