Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hafnia

New PC

Recommended Posts

Took the plunge and built myself a PC.... I'm not great at stuff like this cos I'm impatient and heavy handed and have a tendency to get bored reading instructions... but I thought I would share my journey.

Got 2 little boys who are interested in games, ipads etc and thought I would try and avoid the madness of overpriced consoles which are obsolete every 3 years after spending hundreds on games that end up being stashed away or sold for £3.

Self led research is one of my things that I really enjoy so here's Jovi got what I bought....

 

MONITOR:- 

20 inch, 24 inch, 27 inch or 32 inch?.... the bigger the number the higher the resolution you will need to get quality images....27 inch would have 1080p looking less sharp than it would on a 24.  A 32 inch screen is too big really which led me to 27 as a nice number.... so with that in mind I knew 1440 or 4k res would be needed. 4k 27 inch monitors running at a high refresh rate and response cost a fortune.  So 1440p it was.....

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.HG0EE.001

Got a great deal £220... looks brill. And it will be freesync compatible with Nvidia cards.... only 1 of 20 tested that does work. Freesync basically matches your screen and GPU for smooth gaming. 

 

CASE:- 

meshify c by fractal design..... cracking unit, well designed. Tricky in places but overall a nice find. 

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

 

MOTHERBOARD and CPU:-

When picking a motherboard You need to decide if you are gonna use Intel or AMD as your CPU.  The Ryzen chip is amazing value... went with the 2600 which cost about £140.... 6 cores.... Plenty of power.  Loads cheaper than Intel. 

So the motherboard was an MSI x470 gaming plus. Has new tech that intelligently restores your data in most appropriate drives... so if you have an SSD and old fashioned hard drive then it works out which needs to be accessed on the quicker running drive.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-x470-gaming-plus-amd-x470-s-am4-ddr4-sata3-dual-m2-3-way-crossfire-gbe-usb-31-gen2-a-atx

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600

 

RAM:-

you need 16gb these days... bought 2x8gb which run at 3000mhz... speed is important. 3000 is a nice price performance match.

 

PSU:-

this is the power supply... bough a corsair 650 watt.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06WVWXPVZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

 

STORAGE:-

In the old days we all had a spinning hard drive which after a few years meant just booting up your pc took 10 minutes.  Solid State Drives have obliterated those load times as the PC doesn't need to go searching... it's there.  I've got a 250gb SSD that I used in my old pc which meant I could have used my old pc perfectly fine after it ground to a halt. I just wanted a new pc for gaming, storage (old one had 500gb) and in case my new career change warrants tech improvements.

So to go with the 250 SSD which will boot up windows in a flash and other priority software I bought 4TB SanDisk HDD. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07D9C7SQH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

 

GRAPHICS CARD:-

Ok..... the most expensive part and links in heavily with monitor and CPU.  

Essentially you need something that will give you enough resolution and frame rate for the settings..... in my case 1440 at a decent frame rate at ultra settings....

You can go down the AMD route and the Vega 56 was a good option.  But I have an Nvidia shield and want to stream games from my pc to the shield so the boys can have console gaming.   The RTX 2060 was the pick

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2060/

 

THE BUILD:-

So.... Wednesday night after what has been 2 tough months at work.... generally shattered I had all my stuff laid out. Looked straight forward.... yeah an hour or 2 I reckon.....

 

1.  Attach CPU to motherboard.  Nice and easy... pop the cooler fan on top. Screw in place.

2. Pop ram in the slots. Make sure in the correct slots (2 from 4)

3.  Prep the case to take the motherboard. Place upstands in the case which will allow you to screw the motherboard in. DICKHEAD HERE DIDNT READ THE MOTHERBOARD INSTRUCTIONS AND PLACED UPSTANDS IN A FORMATION THAT WOULD HAVE FRIED THE MOTHERBOARD AS INDICATED ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE MB.  Fortunately I realised this and removed them. 

4. Attach motherboard in. Easy.

5. Attach PSU to case.... nice and easy.  

6. Attach SSD and Hard drives to case.... trickier than I thought.... me being stupid really. 

7. Attach all cables to the motherboard........ personally this was the hardest part. I'm heavy handed and some parts have very specific fragile pins..... this looked like a nightmare.  I went to bed and left it. Started up the next day.

8. Attach graphics card.   Harder than I thought... especially when you are a tit who leaves the shroud on the GPU..... nerve wracking with a £350 investment.

9.  Switch it on......  and nothing..... SHIT!!!! £1100 worth of kit and I've fucked it up!!!!  Remove cables reattach them.... nothing.... then I spotted 1 tiny little cable dangling..... tiny..... it said "standby button".... popped it on and voila!!!  Led lights, fans, way hey!!!!

10. Pop a USB stick in the drive with Windows on it and install..... done!!!!

 

Overall a highly satisfying but ultimately risky process. Lots of money spent and to so it with no guidance was a bit of a gamble but YouTube videos do help.

 

Sorry for the long post but I think it may help others.... the PC would probably cost £1400 in pc world with lesser quality components..

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went on ebay and clicked on a button and had mine delivered, that was technical enough for me:D.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-GL62M-7RDX-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-Core-i5-2-5GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-Windows-10/382285979610?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

(paid a lot less than that though)

Respect though Haf, my needs are much less than yours obviously and it must be a very satisfying thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I went on ebay and clicked on a button and had mine delivered, that was technical enough for me:D.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-GL62M-7RDX-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-Core-i5-2-5GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-Windows-10/382285979610?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

(paid a lot less than that though)

Respect though Haf, my needs are much less than yours obviously and it must be a very satisfying thing to do.

Cracking laptop that Mike. 

I made the mistake twice now of buying substandard PC's for games.... just a few quid more gets you a lot.

My first one was 400 quid and was dell with on-board graphics... absolute shite. Second was a dual core medion for 500 from Tesco... not bad value but ultimately not good enough.

This one has 6 cores.... loads of ram... plenty of gpu power..... Will I game much??? I dunno.

I'm thinking of going self employed so I'm looking at developing some extra skills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Cracking laptop that Mike. 

I made the mistake twice now of buying substandard PC's for games.... just a few quid more gets you a lot.

My first one was 400 quid and was dell with on-board graphics... absolute shite. Second was a dual core medion for 500 from Tesco... not bad value but ultimately not good enough.

This one has 6 cores.... loads of ram... plenty of gpu power..... Will I game much??? I dunno.

I'm thinking of going self employed so I'm looking at developing some extra skills. 

That’s why I upgraded last year. That extra few hundred opens up so many more possibilities. 

12 months ago I paid about the same on an i8700k, 16gb ram, 1080ti (fookin massive thing!). Amazing to see what difference a year makes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt said:

That’s why I upgraded last year. That extra few hundred opens up so many more possibilities. 

12 months ago I paid about the same on an i8700k, 16gb ram, 1080ti (fookin massive thing!). Amazing to see what difference a year makes!

1080ti..... awesome card.  What did that set you back?  The 980ti is still a strong card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hafnia said:

1080ti..... awesome card.  What did that set you back?  The 980ti is still a strong card. 

About half the budget. Just realised though, I spent that much on the upgrade already having the case and a good monitor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt said:

About half the budget. Just realised though, I spent that much on the upgrade already having the case and a good monitor!

Mine was this:-

Case 85

GPU 355

4 TB HDD 90

Psu 77

Ram 99

MOTHERBOARD 120

CPU 145

Windows 10 - 8

Total:- £989...... happy with that!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Mine was this:-

Case 85

GPU 355

4 TB HDD 90

Psu 77

Ram 99

MOTHERBOARD 120

CPU 145

Windows 10 - 8

Total:- £989...... happy with that!   

Bloody Nora! That is one thing I miss about the UK, it’s soooo much cheaper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matt said:

Bloody Nora! That is one thing I miss about the UK, it’s soooo much cheaper!

At this minute I'm in the process of activating storeMI on the motherboard.... essentially it will autopartition key things onto the SSD without me faffing around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where you bought the parts from? Most PC retailer offer to build the system for free. I mean it's not free, because they make a profit for every component, but you won't get it cheaper if you build it by yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2019 at 11:10, Haiku said:

Where you bought the parts from? Most PC retailer offer to build the system for free. I mean it's not free, because they make a profit for every component, but you won't get it cheaper if you build it by yourself.

That's assuming you buy all the bits from the same retailer which you wouldn't, you'd shop around and get the best price for each part. You also wouldn't have the same satisfaction as if you'd DIY'd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2019 at 11:10, Haiku said:

Where you bought the parts from? Most PC retailer offer to build the system for free. I mean it's not free, because they make a profit for every component, but you won't get it cheaper if you build it by yourself.

Managed to source of from 2 shops.... not bad eh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2019 at 09:41, hafnia said:

At this minute I'm in the process of activating storeMI on the motherboard.... essentially it will autopartition key things onto the SSD without me faffing around. 

Fair play mate haven’t got the foggiest what your on about but sounds like you know your stuff, I bought my missus the new Mac book for Christmas in gold 1300 notes, she’s completely appled up now with watch and phone like a Granny Smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Fair play mate haven’t got the foggiest what your on about but sounds like you know your stuff, I bought my missus the new Mac book for Christmas in gold 1300 notes, she’s completely appled up now with watch and phone like a Granny Smith. 

Nice palf... great computers just bloody expensive and not really upgradeable.   But for space, looks, ease of use.... they are brilliant.

I love the freedom with pc's. Just set up a ps4 dual shock controller tonight... ordering a Bluetooth dongle.... all very exciting.  Perfect for a tinkerer like me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hafnia said:

Nice palf... great computers just bloody expensive and not really upgradeable.   But for space, looks, ease of use.... they are brilliant.

I love the freedom with pc's. Just set up a ps4 dual shock controller tonight... ordering a Bluetooth dongle.... all very exciting.  Perfect for a tinkerer like me. 

Haf you started this with built myself a PC not great at this, compared to me your Bill Gates mate you got all the terminology going on I can only take your word for it that your right it’s gone right over my head, sounds like your having fun mate have the kids been getting involved. 

I was wondering why I wasn’t see much of you on here lately now I know why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Haf you started this with built myself a PC not great at this, compared to me your Bill Gates mate you got all the terminology going on I can only take your word for it that your right it’s gone right over my head, sounds like your having fun mate have the kids been getting involved. 

I was wondering why I wasn’t see much of you on here lately now I know why. 

Haha.... guilty. 

My son was playing rise of the tomb raider earlier..... graphics are incredible.

I would explain that 35 years ago i used to move a block around s screen with keys after waiting for 15 minutes for the tape deck to load it..... but he probably wouldn't understand why I would do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I would explain that 35 years ago i used to move a block around s screen with keys after waiting for 15 minutes for the tape deck to load it..... but he probably wouldn't understand why I would do that. 

In 1976 I rode my FS1E (worth a fortune they are now, wish I'd kept it) 30 miles into London to get a "ping-pong" game to plug into the telly, became a Grand Master eighth dan at that:P; shortly after I was the total master of Space Invaders and then Breakout in the pub, was unbeatable (though I say it myself:D). Happy days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MikeO said:

In 1976 I rode my FS1E (worth a fortune they are now, wish I'd kept it) 30 miles into London to get a "ping-pong" game to plug into the telly, became a Grand Master eighth dan at that:P; shortly after I was the total master of Space Invaders and then Breakout in the pub, was unbeatable (though I say it myself:D). Happy days.

In the 80's you literally had whsmiths and menzies that sold computer games.... £7.99 mostly for a tape cassette....

I recall the Neo Geo when the mega drive was just making its name.... cost an absolute fortune. The games were 100's of quid.... you can download them for free on an emulator now.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

In the 80's you literally had whsmiths and menzies that sold computer games.... £7.99 mostly for a tape cassette....

Sure I've said it on here before but the problem with producing computer games on cassette was the fact that you had to try to reproduce a digital signal on an analogue medium, which is actually impossible. Games needed square waves ideally but cassettes couldn't cope with them, luckily we had an acoustics magician as a consultant who came in with a "magic box" one day and we cornered the market, certainly as far as reliability was concerned:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Sure I've said it on here before but the problem with producing computer games on cassette was the fact that you had to try to reproduce a digital signal on an analogue medium, which is actually impossible. Games needed square waves ideally but cassettes couldn't cope with them, luckily we had an acoustics magician as a consultant who came in with a "magic box" one day and we cornered the market, certainly as far as reliability was concerned:).

I was always intrigued by that... there was always a volume setting that worked perfectly but you had to get it to the exact mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son wants a gaming PC and I’ve no idea where to start. I’ve always been a games console person. I’m not intending to spend lots of money on one as he has a tendency to break things quickly. All I wanted to know is would this spec be ok to start him off? Quad Core i5 8GB 1TB Win 10 2GB GT710? Any advice would be appreciated as it means the square root of diddly to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, barryj said:

My son wants a gaming PC and I’ve no idea where to start. I’ve always been a games console person. I’m not intending to spend lots of money on one as he has a tendency to break things quickly. All I wanted to know is would this spec be ok to start him off? Quad Core i5 8GB 1TB Win 10 2GB GT710? Any advice would be appreciated as it means the square root of diddly to me. 

Depends what types of games he’s into and how important graphics etc are. But as a base unit, that should be ok for simple games and YouTube. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Depends what types of games he’s into and how important graphics etc are. But as a base unit, that should be ok for simple games and YouTube. 

Thanks Matt, he plays fortnite on Xbox and I assume he’d want to play this and maybe some strategy games. I assume you can just add/upgrade bits as you go along so long as there’s room in the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barryj said:

Thanks Matt, he plays fortnite on Xbox and I assume he’d want to play this and maybe some strategy games. I assume you can just add/upgrade bits as you go along so long as there’s room in the case?

Yes you can upgrade as you go along but be careful as sometimes upgrading one part means upgrading others too (I found out by getting a new CPU that wasn’t compatible with the motherboard 

for Fortnite, just don’t install it and save the memory :P 

 

Fortnite: Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Core i5 2.8GHz.
  • RAM: 8GB RAM.
  • HDD: 16GB Free Space.
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7870 or equivalent video card with dedicated memory of 2GB or higher VRAM.
  • OS: Windows 7, 8.1, or Windows 10 64-bit.
  • DirectX: Version 11 or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes you can upgrade as you go along but be careful as sometimes upgrading one part means upgrading others too (I found out by getting a new CPU that wasn’t compatible with the motherboard 

for Fortnite, just don’t install it and save the memory :P 

 

Fortnite: Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Core i5 2.8GHz.
  • RAM: 8GB RAM.
  • HDD: 16GB Free Space.
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7870 or equivalent video card with dedicated memory of 2GB or higher VRAM.
  • OS: Windows 7, 8.1, or Windows 10 64-bit.
  • DirectX: Version 11 or better.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, barryj said:

My son wants a gaming PC and I’ve no idea where to start. I’ve always been a games console person. I’m not intending to spend lots of money on one as he has a tendency to break things quickly. All I wanted to know is would this spec be ok to start him off? Quad Core i5 8GB 1TB Win 10 2GB GT710? Any advice would be appreciated as it means the square root of diddly to me. 

Sign up here Barry... post about what your budget it is and what you are looking to get. Got some real experts on here...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/budget-gaming-pc-build.18809858/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 21:59, Hafnia said:

Sign up here Barry... post about what your budget it is and what you are looking to get. Got some real experts on here...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/budget-gaming-pc-build.18809858/

 

Some absolute bell ends on there too. I was a big contributor on site and regularly helped with customer builds. Of course you can imagine that tech nerds get absolutely fanatical about brands. Intel vs AMD vs Nvidia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Some absolute bell ends on there too. I was a big contributor on site and regularly helped with customer builds. Of course you can imagine that tech nerds get absolutely fanatical about brands. Intel vs AMD vs Nvidia.

I'm currently commuting for my new job into Manchester..... I can spot a techead a mile off.   Zero manners and awareness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I'm currently commuting for my new job into Manchester..... I can spot a techead a mile off.   Zero manners and awareness. 

You’re just being unlucky then. My experience is they’re really helpful and friendly for the most part 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matt said:

You’re just being unlucky then. My experience is they’re really helpful and friendly for the most part 

On the most part I found them fine. There were just a toxic core group that made every thread into a trash fire.

We would guess how long a thread would last before it descended into banal arguments over trifling things.

OCUK used to have a bit of a racism problem. They sorted that out for the most part but many of the users opened new accounts and just skirted on the edges of the rules. I felt sorry for the mods who had an endless task of giving warnings and bans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TallPaul1878 said:

On the most part I found them fine. There were just a toxic core group that made every thread into a trash fire.

We would guess how long a thread would last before it descended into banal arguments over trifling things.

OCUK used to have a bit of a racism problem. They sorted that out for the most part but many of the users opened new accounts and just skirted on the edges of the rules. I felt sorry for the mods who had an endless task of giving warnings and bans.

Sorry, I meant in general (assuming that’s what Haf was talking about). Not been on the forum, I’m monogamous when it comes to these things :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I'm currently commuting for my new job into Manchester..... I can spot a techead a mile off.   Zero manners and awareness. 

I can smell them before I see them. Zero personal hygiene awareness.

Warhammer fans are the worst. I used to paint the models, I liked the orks for their crazy looks and big fangs. Went to a shop because I had all these orks and never "played" with them. Walked in and walked right back out. The stench of weeks old body odour was unbearable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matt said:

Sorry, I meant in general (assuming that’s what Haf was talking about). Not been on the forum, I’m monogamous when it comes to these things :) 

I think haf did mean in general. I think it's more the PC gamer crowd. There are 2 groups of enthusiasts. I was a custom builder and basically it was just an expensive ornament that I built with meticulous wiring on show. A vanity project really. Then there are the hard core gamers who stink of Monster Energy drinks. They're something else, real angry inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue is usually around which processor you go with. Intel or AMD. I had a soft spot for AMD as they had recently overhauled their architecture whereas Intel have been using the same design process for a long time and were really coming to the end of what could be achieved with that process. I just wanted the latest thing really, a new toy to play with, new ways to wring out performance. Old methods of high clock speeds, high temperatures and huge coolers made way for moderate clock speed increases and a focus on memory speed to increase performance. That was what I found enjoyable.

Whilst most computer games were designed on a PC they really had low powered consoles in mind so much of the power of a PC was lost. You really just wanted to brute force your way through a game and Intel was best at that. Today game engines are designed with high core count processors in mind so AMD are becoming much more viable as well as already being a better all rounder in general usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume @barryj has bought/built his PC by now. If it is genuinely just to play Fortnite then it really doesn't need all that much power. Most modern mainstream processors and £150+ graphics cards will play the game easily. An SSD drive will make loading times a thing of the past and make the experience more enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I think haf did mean in general. I think it's more the PC gamer crowd. There are 2 groups of enthusiasts. I was a custom builder and basically it was just an expensive ornament that I built with meticulous wiring on show. A vanity project really. Then there are the hard core gamers who stink of Monster Energy drinks. They're something else, real angry inside.

All I can think of is the South Park World of Warcraft episode :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I assume @barryj has bought/built his PC by now. If it is genuinely just to play Fortnite then it really doesn't need all that much power. Most modern mainstream processors and £150+ graphics cards will play the game easily. An SSD drive will make loading times a thing of the past and make the experience more enjoyable.

It’s not for me it’s for my son! I’ve not still got it as his birthday is in a few days time so he’s hoping for more money to allow a better choice. I’ve seen some cheap on eBay as a package but I don’t know how good they’ll be? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, barryj said:

It’s not for me it’s for my son! I’ve not still got it as his birthday is in a few days time so he’s hoping for more money to allow a better choice. I’ve seen some cheap on eBay as a package but I don’t know how good they’ll be? 

Link them and quote me and I'll have a look. If you tell me a budget then I can pick out some key things you should look for.

With PC gaming it really does depend on what games he wants to play. When you are working to a budget it helps to know roughly what games he wants to play. Most shooter and action games are mostly graphics bound, meaning you should concentrate a greater portion of your budget on a powerful graphics card.

With strategy games and open world games you are processor bound as the game has a lot of stuff going on in the background like what the enemy army is doing offscreen etc.

Your monitor will have a refresh rate. Most are 60hz so that means it will only ever show 60 images per second. If your graphics card is pumping out 200 images per second then those images get dropped. If you buy a faster "gaming"monitor these are capable of showing 120+ frames per second. This usually makes games feel smoother, more helpful in online shooters for example.

A cheap PC will handle the popular e-sport games like Fortnite, Counterstrike, DOTA 2, Rocket League etc. If he wants to play the latest games in better than console quality you are looking at £700 and beyond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrading is pretty simple for add on cards like graphics cards and they are usually the things you want to replace every couple of years.

AMD systems are usually longer lived, they allow new processors to be installed on slightly older motherboards. 

Intel systems almost always require a partial rebuild with new motherboards for every new processor unless you are going from i5 to i7 in the same generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Upgrading is pretty simple for add on cards like graphics cards and they are usually the things you want to replace every couple of years.

AMD systems are usually longer lived, they allow new processors to be installed on slightly older motherboards. 

Intel systems almost always require a partial rebuild with new motherboards for every new processor unless you are going from i5 to i7 in the same generation.

Really appreciate this and I’ll likely take you up on the offer. I don’t think I’ll be spending big as he’s been playing console up until now and I’m not sure how it’ll work out. From the little amount of reading I’ve done I believe you can upgrade certain things like memory / graphics card but sometimes the board won’t support it? I’d like to have an upgradable option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually need an office chair for when I'm eventually working from home 2 days a week.... cost isn't a factor but I can't be doing with paying £300 for a chair that you can easily get a similar quality/comfort one for £150......

Any suggestions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I actually need an office chair for when I'm eventually working from home 2 days a week.... cost isn't a factor but I can't be doing with paying £300 for a chair that you can easily get a similar quality/comfort one for £150......

Any suggestions? 

I got a ak racing gaming chair for when I was spending a lot of time working from home and had a bad back. Some cheap plastic bits which I don’t like but it helped my back no end and still in good nick 5 years on 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKRacing-Gaming-Chair-Blue-One/dp/B07B43H93Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=akracing+gaming+chair+blue&qid=1579291556&sr=8-4

This one I think. Expensive I know but I was sitting in it 10 hours a day several days a week and it helped my back, so I’ve gotten my money out of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I got a ak racing gaming chair for when I was spending a lot of time working from home and had a bad back. Some cheap plastic bits which I don’t like but it helped my back no end and still in good nick 5 years on 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKRacing-Gaming-Chair-Blue-One/dp/B07B43H93Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=akracing+gaming+chair+blue&qid=1579291556&sr=8-4

This one I think. Expensive I know but I was sitting in it 10 hours a day several days a week and it helped my back, so I’ve gotten my money out of it

Has a few bad reviews but (much cheaper option) both Josh and I have had one of these for years and absolutely no complaint, both spend multiple hours (too many) in them every day!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHHGLRT/ref=sbl_dpx_B079Z9F7SS_0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, johnh said:

In the 1970's I won a competition in Golf World magazine - caption competition.  The prize was an Atari game set which included the ping-pong game. Think I still have it up in the loft.

Worth a few bob if you have mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, johnh said:

In the 1970's I won a competition in Golf World magazine - caption competition.  The prize was an Atari game set which included the ping-pong game. Think I still have it up in the loft.

1976 at 16 I rode 30 miles into London on my trusty purple FS1E (google it if you're too young to know what that was) to buy one of those from Hamleys. Think it was £29.99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 19:49, TallPaul1878 said:

Upgrading is pretty simple for add on cards like graphics cards and they are usually the things you want to replace every couple of years.

AMD systems are usually longer lived, they allow new processors to be installed on slightly older motherboards. 

Intel systems almost always require a partial rebuild with new motherboards for every new processor unless you are going from i5 to i7 in the same generation.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362706386698
 

Any good or a on eBay should I be dubious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, barryj said:

Honestly Barry...  try a build.  So satisfying to do and not difficult at all.  I'm crap at stuff like that and i managed it. 

There are things with cheaply built pcs which will annoy you.... as the seller will have to do something to make their margins.... it could be an awful case, a loud fan or a refurbished graphics card and under powered Ram.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, barryj said:

I'd just be dubious about the price, never had a problem with ebay, something not right there though (don't ask me what). When my son was researching his a couple of years back we couldn't find much "decent" that would give you much change from £1000, he ended up spending more than that; £450?🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Run a mile. They are speccing 2nd and 3rd generation core i5 processors. They're about 7 years old now.

Thanks - that’s my lack of knowledge 😂

Is this a good deal apparently it is and would be about the max I’d go to. 
 

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/specialist-gaming-pcs/pbm/ccl-stryker-mini-gaming-pc/01000102010000000100000002/?siteID=hL3Qp0zRBOc-rev.4J8U3104tIbmiov0Fg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, barryj said:

Thanks - that’s my lack of knowledge 😂

Is this a good deal apparently it is and would be about the max I’d go to. 
 

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/specialist-gaming-pcs/pbm/ccl-stryker-mini-gaming-pc/01000102010000000100000002/?siteID=hL3Qp0zRBOc-rev.4J8U3104tIbmiov0Fg

 

 

Yes this is a much better option.

The R5 1600 is now a 3 year old processor but it is much more capable than the others you linked. AMD are popular for mid range builds because you have the option to upgrade to the R7 2700 in future should you choose. I'd have to check  but I think with a BIOS update the motherboard could carry the R9 processors too.

The memory is the latest DDR4 which is double the speed of the other systems which run the last generation DDR3. Memory is like having a biggerdesk. It allows the processor to get more information put through it so gets through more work.

The RX 570 is a capable graphics card and these are very easy to just switch out in future also.

The PC comes with an SSD. This is a better option than the old fashioned hard drives and will make using the PC feel much faster. The hard drive traditionally is the slowest part of a computer so it's important to move away from traditional hard drives and move towards SSDs. My previous 2 builds were exclusively SSD based.

You will not be disappointed with this PC. It offers good performance straight out of the box and will not limit you down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue with the builds with older parts is that DDR3 is obsolete, you would have problems replacing faulty sticks in future.

The older processors are power inefficient. You can get new, low end processors that have the same processing power but now use a fraction of the energy to the so. It's a waste of electricity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yes this is a much better option.

The R5 1600 is now a 3 year old processor but it is much more capable than the others you linked. AMD are popular for mid range builds because you have the option to upgrade to the R7 2700 in future should you choose. I'd have to check  but I think with a BIOS update the motherboard could carry the R9 processors too.

The memory is the latest DDR4 which is double the speed of the other systems which run the last generation DDR3. Memory is like having a biggerdesk. It allows the processor to get more information put through it so gets through more work.

The RX 570 is a capable graphics card and these are very easy to just switch out in future also.

The PC comes with an SSD. This is a better option than the old fashioned hard drives and will make using the PC feel much faster. The hard drive traditionally is the slowest part of a computer so it's important to move away from traditional hard drives and move towards SSDs. My previous 2 builds were exclusively SSD based.

You will not be disappointed with this PC. It offers good performance straight out of the box and will not limit you down the road.

Thanks Paul really informative post for a novice like me. I’ll let you know how I get on! Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...