IGNORED

Watford (Away) Saturday February 9th

markjazzbassist

Only saw short highlights. I don't know why Gylfi is still starting, we need to try something else there. Bernard for me.

Apart from that really looked like finishing let us down. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on Marco. Seemed we did enough to at least have scored if not win it, but we just lack the focus and quality when we need it.

7 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Apart from that really looked like finishing let us down. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on Marco.

The utter folly of selling Lukaku and Barkley and not adequately replacing them is the most damning indictment of ownership. DCL is nowhere near good enough for the PL and Tosun, likewise. It's a horror show. 

13 hours ago, nogs said:

You've proven my point perfectly. Because we've spent £250m in 3 years, fans are falling into the trap of thinking our squad has to be top class and it must be the manager. 

Go look at the squad we had in 03/04 - we had better centre backs, better central midfielders and better strikers than we do now. We were awful that season, and yeah, Moyes was getting panned. We finished fourth the season after. 

All this 'Silva out' stuff, sorry its just knnejerk rubbish from fans that need to blame someone for their club going through the wringer. If after another summer of rebuilding what I see as a rubbish squad we are still in this position come November, I'll be joining the calls for his head. But 7 months in I find calling for him to be sacked fucking ridiculous. 

I agree with the points of value for money on players BUT silva had a hand in the players that came in, in the summer and only digne has been close to what we needed. 6 players coming in can't all be given time to bed in at the prices we paid for them mean he can be blamed for that. Also its not about player buys but player performances which he is perfectly responsible for and not delivering and he can't affect a change in a run of form against any other clubs than teams we should be beating. You keep giving arguments based saying my negatives about him aren't correct but offer up no positives. PLease tell me some reasons why we should keep him as the best you came up with is its not his fault. I think the decline is a lot to do with the more mercinary nature of the players we bought in. I think i said in a post about the moyes era that the player he bought in had heart and played to the death. I don't think we have any or enough of those players now.

14 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

I agree with the points of value for money on players BUT silva had a hand in the players that came in, in the summer and only digne has been close to what we needed. 6 players coming in can't all be given time to bed in at the prices we paid for them mean he can be blamed for that. Also its not about player buys but player performances which he is perfectly responsible for and not delivering and he can't affect a change in a run of form against any other clubs than teams we should be beating. You keep giving arguments based saying my negatives about him aren't correct but offer up no positives. PLease tell me some reasons why we should keep him as the best you came up with is its not his fault. I think the decline is a lot to do with the more mercinary nature of the players we bought in. I think i said in a post about the moyes era that the player he bought in had heart and played to the death. I don't think we have any or enough of those players now.

Exactly. Saying 'the manager should be doing better, let's sack him' is just the easy reaction. The harder conclusion is that we have spent a lot of money on players who either aren't good enough, don't have the right mentality or don't fit together as a team. That's a tough one for fans to take coz that takes time to sort out. 

I don't know if Silva is the man to lead that job yet. I'm not going to give pretend positives, but I firmly believe any manager deserves more than two thirds of a season before they are judged. And I do not buy for one moment the 'he brought in 6 players, he's responsible' argument. Last summer was a very rushed transfer market for him and Brands to work in, they hardly had any time to assess the squad. He didn't bring in Walcott, Tosun, Keane, Schneiderlin and all the other waste of money crap that got sent out on loan, he didn't spend £45m on a playmaker who doesn't seem to fit into any tactical system. 

Again, I'm not arguing that Silva will be the answer. But the 'we' re losing games, sack the manager' equation is far too simplistic in this case, not to mention premature. 

I don’t buy into the bullshit of players need time to settle. Let’s get it right they are paid huge sums and get waited on hand and foot. All they have to do is play football. Football is football, I’m sick of the whole he is not used to the pace etc etc. It’s fucking football!!  Digne is quality, Gomes quality but needs to pull his finger out, Bernard is class put played in the wrong position, charly needs a slap and tell him to stop being a whining cunt but again he has it. From what I can see Mina looks like we have done a “koldrup” but you can’t have it all. We need a manager that will actually manage the team. Silva looks like a poster boy for a manager, young, foreign, good looking but he hasn’t got the charisma of an old Jose or a Klopp or even a Martinez. He looks vacant on the touch line. Players will love an easy touch who is there best mate etc etc. That’s what I get from them. They are coasting 

10 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Only saw short highlights. I don't know why Gylfi is still starting, we need to try something else there. Bernard for me.

Apart from that really looked like finishing let us down. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on Marco. Seemed we did enough to at least have scored if not win it, but we just lack the focus and quality when we need it.

Its probably no surprise that we created our best and most frequent chances when Siggy and Richarlison went off.

Starting Siggy left was completely pointless in that structure as he was just left wide on his own with no-one around him whereas on the right Richarlison, Davies, Kenny and Tosun were combining a lot more(first half anyway).You would have expected it to be the other way around.

27 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I don’t buy into the bullshit of players need time to settle. Let’s get it right they are paid huge sums and get waited on hand and foot. All they have to do is play football. Football is football, I’m sick of the whole he is not used to the pace etc etc. It’s fucking football!!  Digne is quality, Gomes quality but needs to pull his finger out, Bernard is class put played in the wrong position, charly needs a slap and tell him to stop being a whining cunt but again he has it. From what I can see Mina looks like we have done a “koldrup” but you can’t have it all. We need a manager that will actually manage the team. Silva looks like a poster boy for a manager, young, foreign, good looking but he hasn’t got the charisma of an old Jose or a Klopp or even a Martinez. He looks vacant on the touch line. Players will love an easy touch who is there best mate etc etc. That’s what I get from them. They are coasting 

Of course players need time to settle. Even one of the greatest PL strikers in Henry talked about the time he needed to get used to the way football was played over here. You can add Ronaldo to that as well as De Gea. They had the added benefit of coming into successful sides and not a shit storm like ours.

Giving players time to settle is an interesting one and I get that the way the game is played is different in other countries Lookman seemed comfortable enough at Leipzig  and Jadon Sancho went to Dortmund at just 17. Bernard, Gomes, Richie and Silva have a common language, so communication isn'tt too much of an issue. If settling is an issue then we need to weigh that up with future signings, I don't think.

On 10/02/2019 at 12:05, nogs said:

Exactly. Saying 'the manager should be doing better, let's sack him' is just the easy reaction. The harder conclusion is that we have spent a lot of money on players who either aren't good enough, don't have the right mentality or don't fit together as a team. That's a tough one for fans to take coz that takes time to sort out. 

I don't know if Silva is the man to lead that job yet. I'm not going to give pretend positives, but I firmly believe any manager deserves more than two thirds of a season before they are judged. And I do not buy for one moment the 'he brought in 6 players, he's responsible' argument. Last summer was a very rushed transfer market for him and Brands to work in, they hardly had any time to assess the squad. He didn't bring in Walcott, Tosun, Keane, Schneiderlin and all the other waste of money crap that got sent out on loan, he didn't spend £45m on a playmaker who doesn't seem to fit into any tactical system. 

Again, I'm not arguing that Silva will be the answer. But the 'we' re losing games, sack the manager' equation is far too simplistic in this case, not to mention premature. 

I'd be interested when you got to the point of sacking with Fat Sam.... I never wanted him and I agree with other people the football looks nicer but the results are worse. If we don't win in the next 4 would you sack him then. If we don't win in the next 8 then?..... I am all for giving managers time if you see progress but where is the progress. If you judge him on his own performance he is going backwards he is worse now than at the start of the season. If you judge him on Alladyce (Considered to be our worse manager) he has worse results. When is enough enough for you. Just ran this analysis on our form since the Liverpool defeat Match day 14 to today and it puts us bottom 3 ahead of only Fulham and Huddersfield. Oh and by the way both clubs sacked their manager in that time. So since the liverpool defeat Silva has the worst record of any manager in the league who didn't get sacked.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2018&min=14&max=27 

I would judge his season at the end.

In my time I have watched us go on near 12 months with no away wins, runs with no wins at all, and six match winning streaks. 

A season only counts at the end. If you finish bottom but won your first six.... no one cares, you still get relegated.

Compare our form 2-2-5 under Koeman when he was sacked to the current rut under Silva 3-2-9 and its hard to comprehend why one was sacked and the other is still here. 

Worth noting Koeman played five games (losing four) against the top 6 compared to Silva's four (lost all four). 

Edit. A bit more food for thought. Silva is on course to get 46 points based on our current points total per game. This would be our lowest in over a decade. Or if the current slump continues we could be relegated, bare in mind we've got 5 games against the top 6 that we tend to lose against, we got a draw against Chelsea though so a fair estimate would be 1 point expected. Discounting the defeats from the top 6 in the recent stats then we are 3-2-5 against the rest of the league, using this form as an indicator we'd get roughly 2-1-3 in the other 6 games, 7 points. So roughly 8 points would give us a total of 41 and a squeaky bum. 

I'm hopeful of more points than that but purely on blind optimism. Surely we're due a win against the top 6 ideally the red shite and we can't keep conceding silly goals but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much. 

22 hours ago, pete0 said:

Compare our form 2-2-5 under Koeman when he was sacked to the current rut under Silva 3-2-9 and its hard to comprehend why one was sacked and the other is still here. 

Worth noting Koeman played five games (losing four) against the top 6 compared to Silva's four (lost all four). 

Edit. A bit more food for thought. Silva is on course to get 46 points based on our current points total per game. This would be our lowest in over a decade. Or if the current slump continues we could be relegated, bare in mind we've got 5 games against the top 6 that we tend to lose against, we got a draw against Chelsea though so a fair estimate would be 1 point expected. Discounting the defeats from the top 6 in the recent stats then we are 3-2-5 against the rest of the league, using this form as an indicator we'd get roughly 2-1-3 in the other 6 games, 7 points. So roughly 8 points would give us a total of 41 and a squeaky bum. 

I'm hopeful of more points than that but purely on blind optimism. Surely we're due a win against the top 6 ideally the red shite and we can't keep conceding silly goals but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much. 

👍

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

@pete0really "liked" a thumbs up emoji:rofl:?

You two really do need to get a room:D!

I know it’s good when someone says something that makes sense and others recognise it, even Shukes gave it recognition as being a good well thought out post maybe we could have a three some. 

I know Mike leave the dark side of this forum and come over to the light side it’s so much more fun, and we could have a four some what do you think 🤔 want to have some fun for once 👍🤣