IGNORED

Marco Silva

39 minutes ago, nogs said:

I find it very hard to take you seriously as a supposed fan of this club when you cannot find it in you to give any credit you OUR manager and OUR players for a run that included drawing with the best Liverpool side in 30 years and beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd at home. 

Give credit were it's due. Out of those games the Derby is probs the best we played but we never played the usual Liverpool side. They went more defensive. 

United were terrible. Giving credit for beating them would be like bragging about beating a child. They were woeful. How many games do players come out and say stuff like this? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-news-everton-nemanja-matic-a8880591.html%3famp

You look at that Sig goal and it's a great strike but look closer and it's a poor pass from Gana in the build up, and it's poor pressing from united to give him that much space. Whereas the one against Leicester were he turned and banged it in was excellent, he made the space and won us that game. Whereas united gave us that space, gave us that win on a plate. 

Did you give credit to Newcastle for beating us or blame the team/manager? 

28 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Give credit were it's due. Out of those games the Derby is probs the best we played but we never played the usual Liverpool side. They went more defensive. 

United were terrible. Giving credit for beating them would be like bragging about beating a child. They were woeful. How many games do players come out and say stuff like this? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-news-everton-nemanja-matic-a8880591.html%3famp

You look at that Sig goal and it's a great strike but look closer and it's a poor pass from Gana in the build up, and it's poor pressing from united to give him that much space. Whereas the one against Leicester were he turned and banged it in was excellent, he made the space and won us that game. Whereas united gave us that space, gave us that win on a plate. 

Why does it have to be either/or? It can be a mixture of both.

33 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Why does it have to be either/or? It can be a mixture of both.

It can be a mixture. Eg we've forced a mistake but in the Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal games the opposition was that bad we had the points before a ball had even been kicked. All of them are in terrible form and been beaten by worse teams than us. 

Arsenal had their reserves and Man U had a CB at RB, a RB covering LB. 

Chelsea done okay but then completely put their heads down after the first goal. They were very reminiscent of us v Newcastle. 

I had the same moan last season. We were only ever winning when the opposition never turned up or just through sheer luck. I want us to beat teams because we're good, not just because the opposition haven't turned up. 

15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

It can be a mixture. Eg we've forced a mistake but in the Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal games the opposition was that bad we had the points before a ball had even been kicked. All of them are in terrible form and been beaten by worse teams than us. 

Arsenal had their reserves and Man U had a CB at RB, a RB covering LB. 

Chelsea done okay but then completely put their heads down after the first goal. They were very reminiscent of us v Newcastle. 

I had the same moan last season. We were only ever winning when the opposition never turned up or just through sheer luck. I want us to beat teams because we're good, not just because the opposition haven't turned up. 

No, we made them look bad with good tactics and hard work. 

58 minutes ago, pete0 said:

We used the same tactics and work against Palace and Fulham. Why didn't it work against them? 

Because they crammed their half making possession football impossible, pressing football also impossible. Boring as fuck on their part, nearly as boring as possession based football, but it works.

Silva really needs an answer to it, won’t deny that. The best fall foul to that but let’s see what he has to give with another summer window to work with. 

I didn’t want him, was/am ashamed at our approach to get him and worried/am worried he’ll jump ship when a bigger pay cheque comes along. But for now, he is happily proving me and a lot of others, including you,  wrong. Long may it continue. 

We are doing really well and it’s pleasing to see. Hopefully we keep two more clean sheets and we can go into the summer with confidence. Marcel has indicated we will do our business early and with no international tournaments that should be a lot easier to do. Once that happens hopefully we can cut out the over earners deadwood what ever you want to call them  and we can have a nice trim squad ready to go 

I don't agree it's down to tactics as much as people may think it is, we don't beat the teams we should more because of a lack of bottle and believe from the team, you don't see the better clubs change their tactics they impose themselves on the other team with utter belief they are going to win.

I admit everyone gets caught out now and then it's pretty much inevitable but the gap between the big boys and the rest is getting massive so proves it's not often, but the Shiite and City aren't changing their tactics against the bottom clubs to get the win they play the same formation whether it's Fulham or Spurs.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Because they crammed their half making possession football impossible, pressing football also impossible. Boring as fuck on their part, nearly as boring as possession based football, but it works.

Silva really needs an answer to it, won’t deny that. The best fall foul to that but let’s see what he has to give with another summer window to work with. 

I didn’t want him, was/am ashamed at our approach to get him and worried/am worried he’ll jump ship when a bigger pay cheque comes along. But for now, he is happily proving me and a lot of others, including you,  wrong. Long may it continue. 

He's proven me wrong majorly, I thought he would have closed the gap. Tbf I thought any competent manager with this years team would be able to do better than last years, but as it stands we're roughly in the same spot as last year, 8th and about 14 points shy of the top six. This season we were supposed to kick on and breakaway from 'the rest' and change the top six into a top seven, but Silva and the players have failed to do so. 

On paper it should have been an easy job. All the United buys have flopped, Arsenal have improved their centre mid with Torriera but not replaced Sanchez or sorted their defence out, and Spurs didn't buy anyone. Yet we've improved the first team with 5 better starters (six if you account for Keane playing with an injury last year) and supposedly a better manager yet we haven't managed to close the gap. It's not good enough. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Yes of course I did you absolute numpty any team that comes back from 2-0 down to win deserves loads of credit. Just as we deserved credit for riding our luck first half v Chelsea, putting a dreadful first half behind us and taking our chance to win the game. Just as we deserved credit for out playing Arsenal, a team we have an appalling record against. Just as we deserve credit for putting a poor Man Utd, another team we have an awful record against, to the sword. 

From your logic, teams don't win football matches, opponents lose them. Which is fine when you're desperately pushing an agenda you nailed your colours to 6 months ago and for bizarre psychological reasons known only to you now feel obliged to keep banging on about at every available opportunity. But to everyone else it's really fucking boring. We get it, you don't like Silva. But some of us actually want to enjoy watching the our club play some decent football and win a few games. 

14 hours ago, pete0 said:

We used the same tactics and work against Palace and Fulham. Why didn't it work against them? 

No-one has figured out a tactic that wins every time. One obvious reason is players are human. Palace closed shop so it was harder to create chances plus we were a tad unfortunate with them (hit the woodwork twice, great save from their keeper from  Tosun's backheel).

11 hours ago, pete0 said:

He's proven me wrong majorly, I thought he would have closed the gap. Tbf I thought any competent manager with this years team would be able to do better than last years, but as it stands we're roughly in the same spot as last year, 8th and about 14 points shy of the top six. This season we were supposed to kick on and breakaway from 'the rest' and change the top six into a top seven, but Silva and the players have failed to do so. 

On paper it should have been an easy job. All the United buys have flopped, Arsenal have improved their centre mid with Torriera but not replaced Sanchez or sorted their defence out, and Spurs didn't buy anyone. Yet we've improved the first team with 5 better starters (six if you account for Keane playing with an injury last year) and supposedly a better manager yet we haven't managed to close the gap. It's not good enough. 

It was never going to be easy. The amount of damage done by the last manager on top of Koeman set us back massively. The fact that we are where we are is a testament to Silvas relative success. 

10 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We have just kept 7 clean sheets in the last 9 games, including a run of 4 games against the Sky 6 where we won 3 and drew one and collectively they mustered a grand total of 11 shots and no goals. Surely even you can see that as a massive, massive improvement ?

Nah, we're going backwards mate 😱

12 hours ago, Finn balor said:

And there’s your arguement you bellend. Arsenal made one change Tottenham none we made five first team changes. Your argument again is that uniteds signings flopped but ours didn’t? So  that means silva did well in the transfer market? No wait that would be brands? Your an absolute sausage. 

You really think the signings were Silva? Okay cock face. 

10 hours ago, StevO said:

Exactly why you don’t have a clue!

Expand on the reasons. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It was never going to be easy. The amount of damage done by the last manager on top of Koeman set us back massively. The fact that we are where we are is a testament to Silvas relative success. 

We've not closed the gap though. There should be some improvement but we're no better off at all. If the team was that bad and they've had half the first team upgraded the job should have been a doddle. It's hard not do better last year. 

11 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Expand on the reasons. 

We've not closed the gap though. There should be some improvement but we're no better off at all. If the team was that bad and they've had half the first team upgraded the job should have been a doddle. It's hard not do better last year. 

There’s a massive improvement. Beating the top sides, playing muuuuuch better football, bringing in better and more exciting players. Just because we’re not the finished article after 2 transfer windows trying to undo 2 seasons of shit doesn’t mean there’s not been progress 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Expand on the reasons. 

Because you can’t use the same tactics against every team. Well, you can, but it would be foolish as not every opponent will have the same strengths and weaknesses. You have to play to limit strengths and expose weaknesses. 

Remember when we played Arsenal at home under Roberto and we beat them 3-0? Lukaku was played on the right to expose Monreal, attack the left back because he’s weak. Do the same thing against a team with a strong left back and it won’t work. So you adapt to your opponents. Even City with their unbelievable choice of options change tactic to exploit weaknesses and to combat strengths.

There are many ways to play 433, it might look the same when Sky show you before the match starts but everything inside the formation can work in many different ways. That’s where a good manager makes his money. 

Wenger famously didn’t concentrate on the opposition, made it all about what Arsenal did. Worked a treat when they had some of the best players in the world, when they weren’t as good and he still wanted to do this he would get out played by Tony Pulis on a regular basis. We know who the better manager is from the two of them, but one was adaptable on the day and exposed the weaknesses of a much better team. 

Every game is different, every opponent is different, they all should be treated as such. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Because you can’t use the same tactics against every team. Well, you can, but it would be foolish as not every opponent will have the same strengths and weaknesses. You have to play to limit strengths and expose weaknesses. 

Remember when we played Arsenal at home under Roberto and we beat them 3-0? Lukaku was played on the right to expose Monreal, attack the left back because he’s weak. Do the same thing against a team with a strong left back and it won’t work. So you adapt to your opponents. Even City with their unbelievable choice of options change tactic to exploit weaknesses and to combat strengths.

There are many ways to play 433, it might look the same when Sky show you before the match starts but everything inside the formation can work in many different ways. That’s where a good manager makes his money. 

Wenger famously didn’t concentrate on the opposition, made it all about what Arsenal did. Worked a treat when they had some of the best players in the world, when they weren’t as good and he still wanted to do this he would get out played by Tony Pulis on a regular basis. We know who the better manager is from the two of them, but one was adaptable on the day and exposed the weaknesses of a much better team. 

Every game is different, every opponent is different, they all should be treated as such. 

What have we done differently in the Fulham and Palace games compared to the ones we won? As far as I can see you agree that doing the same thing every week is foolish, so I'd assume you'd be in agreement with me that Silva isn'tt doing enough.