IGNORED

Thomas Meunier

Everton are interested in making a move for PSG full-back Thomas Meunier according to reports in France.

The Belgian full-back has just over one year remaining on his current deal at the Parc des Princes and could be tempted to call time on his career in the French capital after starting just 13 times this season.

According to French outlet Le10 Sport, Everton are interested in making a move for the 27-year-old as they look to replace Seamus Coleman.

Meunier has been a crucial player for Belgium, who are of course managed by former Everton boss Roberto Martinez, with the full-back impressively scoring six goals and providing 12 assists in 36 international appearances.

However, his career was abruptly halted in March 2017 when he suffered a horrific leg break during an international fixture against Wales, an injury which would keep him out of action until January 2018.

Coleman has made 20 appearances this season, but has failed to recapture his best form since his return from injury.

Edit: sorry unsure why it’s gone large font. Can’t change it from my phone. 

14 hours ago, StevO said:

Another right back who broke his leg against Wales? Weird. 

Think they mean Coleman - I don’t recall Meunier having a leg break..?

Im all for this though - right age to come straight in. 6”2/3 aswell so he’s a big guy which we need with our current set piece issues. 

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

I would look for 25 years old or younger. Fullbacks tend to peak at that age and usually lose their speed and stamina by the time they hit 30. Both Baines and Coleman prove that claim. 

Coleman has a freak injury that completely took away his strongest attribute- pace. Oviedo was 24 when he broke his leg and hasn’t been the same since.

If we signed him and performed how Baines did from 27 onwards then he will be a fantastic signing at any price.

We need players to come in and contribute straight away at a high level, especially at right back/CF and probably another winger. Kenny is promising enough, holgate maybe even into that category for right back. 

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Coleman has a freak injury that completely took away his strongest attribute- pace. Oviedo was 24 when he broke his leg and hasn’t been the same since.

If we signed him and performed how Baines did from 27 onwards then he will be a fantastic signing at any price.

We need players to come in and contribute straight away at a high level, especially at right back/CF and probably another winger. Kenny is promising enough, holgate maybe even into that category for right back. 

Baines was the best left back in the league when he was 27, but when he turned 30 he suddenly became a shadow of himself. Yeah he was still a capable squad player for a good few years, but wasn't the engine in both attack and defence as he used to be anymore. From what I've seen this happens with most fullbacks these days. As a fullback you'll have to run a lot through the whole 90 minutes, and that requires significant stamina and pace which are very difficult to maintain when your body starts to decline. Meunier turns 28 in September and I don't think he can cope with the intensity of the Premier League for much longer. That's why I would like someone younger, so the chance he'll have a good 4-5 years of service is bigger.

• 2 months later...

we've been linked with lots of strong players, interested to see if any of the deals are completed, particularly at the RB position. still think coleman can do a job, but i have doubts over kenny. didn't watch holgate for wba at all but the feedback i've seen has all been positive. wonder if silva still sees him as a CB or RB at this point, perhaps cover for both. in any case, would be happy to see meunier or wan-bissaka brought in, but think they may just be out of reach for us at this point.

• 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Then sign and get us into Europe. If you’re barely playing for PSG, you’re not playing European football anyway. Not the attitude I want from a benchwarmer who could’ve been a regular starter in a tougher league 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, barryj said:

Sidibe shouldn’t be our long term replacement as he’s not good enough. Ok for cover but I’ve not seen anything that makes me think otherwise. 

who would you prefer?

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I like sidibe. Didn’t have a pre season and getting used to the league. I think he will a really good player 

agreed.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

the classic he had 1 bad game he's shite.  yes he had a bad game.  messi has them as well.

You’ve obviously not been watching all the games. He always drifts into the centre and loses his winger time after time. Watch carefully and you will see a defensively poor player. Attacking he’s ok. 

and I think you’ll see my post was written before this game 🤦‍♂️
Maybe I’m a psychic? 🤷‍♂️

On 23/11/2019 at 18:50, barryj said:

You’ve obviously not been watching all the games. He always drifts into the centre and loses his winger time after time. Watch carefully and you will see a defensively poor player. Attacking he’s ok. 

and I think you’ll see my post was written before this game 🤦‍♂️
Maybe I’m a psychic? 🤷‍♂️

I had a perfect view of this for the first 45mins on Saturday. I didn’t enjoy it one bit. Twice in the first 5 minutes he was nowhere and it didn’t improve. 

I thought Sidibe was a little unlucky on a couple of occasions because he was on his bike when we lost possession and he was caught well out of position.

Normally I would blame the player as you should only break forward under clear controlled possession but given what we have seen with Digne and Coleman under Silva I think it is managerial instruction.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I thought Sidibe was a little unlucky on a couple of occasions because he was on his bike when we lost possession and he was caught well out of position.

Normally I would blame the player as you should only break forward under clear controlled possession but given what we have seen with Digne and Coleman under Silva I think it is managerial instruction.

Yeah 100%. Teams look to exploit it and seem to do so with ease. 

• 3 months later...