IGNORED

Antonio Reyes

12 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Tragic news today. Great player. Really sad 

Sad but I reserve judgement until more information is out in cases like this. Many people die in crashes they cause themselves by driving recklessly, often taking innocent parties with them. Not saying that was the case here because we don't know detail yet but some drivers are best removed from the gene pool before they take out people who don't deserve it.

Seems a great guy by all accounts though, just hope he didn't have a daft side.

37 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

He lived in a rural village by all accounts not speeding on a highway but like you I don’t know too much. 

I live in a rural village, boy racers out in force every week-end; less chance of being caught than in a city. I'd cull the lot of them (OK so just take their licenses away, killing is a little extreme), though I'm not for a moment suggesting this is relevant to Reyes' case.

22 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Apparently he was driving 120 miles an hour. His cousin died as well after the car went off the motorway and burst into flames 

Have more sympathy for his cousin then, pleased that he didn't take more innocent life.

Thought driving laws were quite strictly enforced in Spain, was told that before I went there a couple of years back, Palfy would know better. Can understand the temptation to floor it as when I was there the toll motorways were empty compared to the UK's, but if you do and something goes wrong.... shit happens.

Still a sad loss though.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Have more sympathy for his cousin then, pleased that he didn't take more innocent life.

Thought driving laws were quite strictly enforced in Spain, was told that before I went there a couple of years back, Palfy would know better. Can understand the temptation to floor it as when I was there the toll motorways were empty compared to the UK's, but if you do and something goes wrong....

Still a sad loss though.

Mike I have done the same thing I got four speeding fines when I drove from my place to Portugal for a long week end on the toll roads the cameras are mainly placed in and around the tunnels that go through the mountains, like you said you can drive for miles and not see another vehicle the Spanish refuse to pay tolls so won’t use the motorway. 

They are very strict on illegal parking towing away all the time no parking ticket this has happened to me once, they also carry out regular spot checks, and they give out on the spot fines if you don’t have a reflective triangle and Hi Vis in the car even if it’s a rental as my mrs found out when she was stopped and find 30€ for no HiVis. 

12 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I was in a taxi last year in Spain and was shitting myself he was driving that fast 

When I went to Madrid a few years back I'd pre-booked a cab from airport to hotel, scariest ride of my life. Guy was a Bulgarian immigrant and I made the mistake of telling him I'd been there in the Communist era so he spent the whole time looking at me and chatting about the "old days" rather than looking at the road or his speedometer; should've kept my mouth shut!

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

...like you said you can drive for miles and not see another vehicle the Spanish refuse to pay tolls so won’t use the motorway.

I drove literally fifty odd miles on one occasion and came across exactly two cars, remember because I told the other half when I got back to our apartment; surreal after suffering the agonies of the M5/6 on so many occasions.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

I drove literally fifty odd miles on one occasion and came across exactly two cars, remember because I told the other half when I got back to our apartment; surreal after suffering the agonies of the M5/6 on so many occasions.

That road the AP6 I think from memory runs the whole length of Spain, it was built using EU money and the Spanish say it was built in many areas just to supply thousands of jobs in rural locations were poverty was rife, so I suppose it served a purpose I use it more now that the military have taken back Murcia airport that you would have flown to, I now use Alicante and if I use the N334 it takes about hour and a half to get to my place yet only forty five minutes on the AP6 and about 7€ no brainer really. 

21 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That road the AP6 I think from memory runs the whole length of Spain, it was built using EU money and the Spanish say it was built in many areas just to supply thousands of jobs in rural locations were poverty was rife, so I suppose it served a purpose I use it more now that the military have taken back Murcia airport that you would have flown to, I now use Alicante and if I use the N334 it takes about hour and a half to get to my place yet only forty five minutes on the AP6 and about 7€ no brainer really. 

EU money being used to help poor areas? Surely not:o!

Sorry, derailing the thread.

Have to admit that when I had the A3 Cabrio I took liberties with the speeding rules, often unintentionally because the car wanted to go 100mph+ and felt so easy doing so; there were many occasions I glanced at the speedo and told myself to slow down so I'm by no means innocent and not in a place to judge Jose. With an empty road and a fast car it's very tempting and tragic for him and his cousin that it ended how it did.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

EU money being used to help poor areas? Surely not:o!

Sorry, derailing the thread.

Have to admit that when I had the A3 Cabrio I took liberties with the speeding rules, often unintentionally because the car wanted to go 100mph+ and felt so easy doing so; there were many occasions I glanced at the speedo and told myself to slow down so I'm by no means innocent and not in a place to judge Jose. With an empty road and a fast car it's very tempting and tragic for him and his cousin that it ended how it did.

Let’s be honest most on here will have done the same, yet we haven’t got the driving ability to go with the speed that a lot of cars can achieve, yes we can go in a straight line doing 120-130 mph, but if something happens we’re we have to take action due to the road conditions or an animal running in front of us or even a blow out how many have the ability to deal with such things at high speed not many I guess. 

i will never understand why professional athletes don't hire a chauffeur.  the speeding tickets, accidents and over here in the states DUI deaths are vast.  they make enough money to have someone drive them around so none of that happens.  hell that 150k car they drive could afford that person's salary for 3 years.  but i digress.....

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i will never understand why professional athletes don't hire a chauffeur.  the speeding tickets, accidents and over here in the states DUI deaths are vast.  they make enough money to have someone drive them around so none of that happens.  hell that 150k car they drive could afford that person's salary for 3 years.  but i digress.....

I agree, or hire a cab ffs, not like they can't afford it. Sadly some people consider themselves above the law as the penalties for getting caught are small change to them, until something like this happens; then your "small change" is of little use unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

On the other hand governments shouldn't be letting people drive around in machines that go that fast with just a normal drivers licence. 

Fair point, motorbike rules are much more stringent and you have to prove your ability at several levels before you can hop on the fastest machines, cars should be the same maybe.