IGNORED

Zaha

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think £ 60m plus McCarthy should swing it if you price him at £10m.  Wouldn't cost us a lot cos we made more than that selling all the dead wood from last season.

Though I would rather spend that amount on a goal scoring striker,  Bernard doesn't really need replacing so urgently.

I agree Bill. Would you take £60m plus McCarthy and Tosun? I’d be tempted. 

I think he is to replace Lookman. Having Richarlison, Bernard, Walcott and Zaha would be an exciting bunch of wingers in the squad, I wouldn’t care which two start, having either of them two available to come off the bench would be real fire power in my opinion. 

Ffs This is where I stand...

Not sure I wanted/though we'd want Saha in the summsr BUT we need a new winger now Lookmans gone - be it Zaha / Malcolm / Leao  / Neres et al... if we get anyone of those it will improve the team we have today. 

If we can shed the wages of Tosun, McCarthy as part of the deal even better - we aren't going to get good money back in for either of them - no ones intersted apart from palace.

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Maybe the two of them and Bernard could fill the front three positions, if they could work out how to interchange effectively. 

Maybe not. 

yeah i could totally see that.  but the odd man out is bernard if we get a striker or they want DCL in there.  not surprising he was on a free, and richy/zaha would be 100m tied up, they're gonna get the most from that investment.

18 hours ago, Cisk said:

Ffs This is where I stand...

Not sure I wanted/though we'd want Saha in the summsr BUT we need a new winger now Lookmans gone - be it Zaha / Malcolm / Leao  / Neres et al... if we get anyone of those it will improve the team we have today. 

If we can shed the wages of Tosun, McCarthy as part of the deal even better - we aren't going to get good money back in for either of them - no ones intersted apart from palace.

Zaha isn’t worth half the number being quoted. Moreover, several teams would like to secure McCarthy’s signature. I remain depressed about this transfer window. I had high hopes, but they’re not being realized. My comfort is that this all remains speculation for now. 

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Zaha isn’t worth half the number being quoted. Moreover, several teams would like to secure McCarthy’s signature. I remain depressed about this transfer window. I had high hopes, but they’re not being realized. My comfort is that this all remains speculation for now. 

You can count on one had the players outside the top 6 that are better than him though. 

That's why I think the club want him. It was the same with sigurdsson, we can't get the lads at the top so we have to get the best of the rest. 

It's a statement signing almost. Like I've said before no doubt he will improve the team, I'd have just liked us to strengthen the CF role or even just a left footed winger. 

Or I don't know, maybe Brands has seen the market for realistic CF targets this season and doesn't want to take a risk on older players (mandzukic etc) or the likes of Costa's ego. Maybe a marquee signing that isn't a CF is a better option if we find the right player, in this case Zaha, along with a young up coming striker who would be cheaper.

28 minutes ago, Aidan said:

You can count on one had the players outside the top 6 that are better than him though. 

That's why I think the club want him. It was the same with sigurdsson, we can't get the lads at the top so we have to get the best of the rest. 

It's a statement signing almost. Like I've said before no doubt he will improve the team, I'd have just liked us to strengthen the CF role or even just a left footed winger. 

Or I don't know, maybe Brands has seen the market for realistic CF targets this season and doesn't want to take a risk on older players (mandzukic etc) or the likes of Costa's ego. Maybe a marquee signing that isn't a CF is a better option if we find the right player, in this case Zaha, along with a young up coming striker who would be cheaper.

We've been down the road with young up coming strikers they rarely ever come good especially when there is no good senior striker to learn from, for me get Costa in and let the likes of DCL and Tosun learn from a master how to lead the line terrorise defenders and score goals.

36 minutes ago, Aidan said:

But do we want to make a statement or break into the top tier? Wasting money on Bolasie was making a statement at the time.