IGNORED

Zaha

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

How so?

Starting to think this was just the West Ham trick of putting a bid in for someone we had no chance of signing.

we put in one bid, palace or agent might have leaked that fake one to try and get it over the line pressuring us, we release a statement denying it and saying "we made a bid they rejected, THAT IS THE END OF IT", it's our way of saying if you want to sell we gave you our price, we aren't going higher.  

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

we put in one bid, palace or agent might have leaked that fake one to try and get it over the line pressuring us, we release a statement denying it and saying "we made a bid they rejected, THAT IS THE END OF IT", it's our way of saying if you want to sell we gave you our price, we aren't going higher.  

Zaha would be nice but a winger is a bit of a bonus signing for us, in my opinion, and so I don't mind taking a shot and being done if its rejected. What it does tell us though is that by confirming a club record bid Everton is willing to spend well beyond our ability to sell.

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

They don’t want to sell, they’ll be happy if we don’t bid again. 

We've said we haven’t bid again because we haven’t bid again. 

6 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Or we just don't want it out there that we're offering the players as part of the deal unless/until it's done.  Especially if we hadn't previously secured agreement from Tosun/McCarthy, would be an awkward conversation.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw it. 

Didn’t something similar happen with McCarthy a few years back? Moshiri then getting on the radio saying how much we love him?

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

That was the first thing I thought when I saw it. 

Didn’t something similar happen with McCarthy a few years back? Moshiri then getting on the radio saying how much we love him?

Yeah when we tried to sign sissoko and he went to spurs

I don’t think we were ever truly serious with this- a half arsed attempt to buy him to fliush our first choice targets to the negotiating table. Why offer 25 under their asking price then not go in again with another bid- even a player plus cash or a payment structure. The statement read we offered it was a no we both decided that was the end if the matter.

20 hours ago, Paddock said:

I don’t think we were ever truly serious with this- a half arsed attempt to buy him to fliush our first choice targets to the negotiating table. Why offer 25 under their asking price then not go in again with another bid- even a player plus cash or a payment structure. The statement read we offered it was a no we both decided that was the end if the matter.

If what the club has said is true, ie: we made one bid, cash only, then I see that as set up for a deadline day approach.  We want to set their expectations and make it firm.  If we got back right away with another bid then they know they have us on the line.  If we put it one, then appear to walk, we retain more control.  They end up "stuck" with a player who wants to move, the player knows there's a possible out.

50 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

If what the club has said is true, ie: we made one bid, cash only, then I see that as set up for a deadline day approach.  We want to set their expectations and make it firm.  If we got back right away with another bid then they know they have us on the line.  If we put it one, then appear to walk, we retain more control.  They end up "stuck" with a player who wants to move, the player knows there's a possible out.

I agree. If the player wants the move then Palace have a decision to make. Accept our reasonable offer or keep him at the club unhappily for at least 6 months. 

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

especially if they are in the relegation scrap which is totally possible

I'm sure this is a major factor for their management. Zaha will be seen as vital to their staying up (Like Siggy w/ Swansea) so they can justify putting a crazy price on him. He's not worth that much probably but no amount of money they receive will make up for them getting relegated so their valuation is understandable.

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

I'm sure this is a major factor for their management. Zaha will be seen as vital to their staying up (Like Siggy w/ Swansea) so they can justify putting a crazy price on him. He's not worth that much probably but no amount of money they receive will make up for them getting relegated so their valuation is understandable.

sorry i meant to clarify, if they are in a relegation scrap come january we could get him for cheaper, they could see the writing on the wall and want to get max value while still in the prem (once relegated everyone will know they have to sell and it's a lower price).  might be worth lodging that one bid and seeing how january looks.  

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

sorry i meant to clarify, if they are in a relegation scrap come january we could get him for cheaper, they could see the writing on the wall and want to get max value while still in the prem (once relegated everyone will know they have to sell and it's a lower price).  might be worth lodging that one bid and seeing how january looks.  

For sure, although in that case the vultures might be circling and we could face a lot of competition. You're right that launching a reasonable bid is worth it. Even if that bid has little hope of succeeding it at least informs the player and his agent that we have interest and that can put us ahead of the pack later. We should never underestimate the value of making a player feel wanted. 

45 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

For sure, although in that case the vultures might be circling and we could face a lot of competition. You're right that launching a reasonable bid is worth it. Even if that bid has little hope of succeeding it at least informs the player and his agent that we have interest and that can put us ahead of the pack later. We should never underestimate the value of making a player feel wanted. 

What vultures? Arsenal put a bid in so did we. Can’t see anyone else? I’m sure Zaha wants a cuddle and wants to feel wanted and a crap offer will surely make him know that. He ain’t coming. No chance 

11 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

What vultures? Arsenal put a bid in so did we. Can’t see anyone else? I’m sure Zaha wants a cuddle and wants to feel wanted and a crap offer will surely make him know that. He ain’t coming. No chance 

I don’t think players think twice about how big or small the offer is. They will all know the buying club want to pay as little as possible anyway. 

53 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

So he was speaking about a hypothetical where Palace is destined for relegation come the January window and they’ve been forced to significantly lower their Zaha price. In that circumstance I expect he’d become attractive to more clubs and we wouldn’t just be competing against ourselves.

You think 52m is a crap offer? Really? He would become our club record signing for that price. There is a reason other clubs aren’t in for Zaha though.Palace values him significantly more than everyone else because he’s vital to their ability to stay up. Just because we haven’t met their valuation doesn’t mean our offer is poor. 

I do think players care that a club shows interest. We’ve just offered more for Zaha than any club ever has. He’s not likely to forget that. You often see that after players are signed they site the interest and appreciation they received from their new club as a factor.

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m sure they see the gesture of a bid and wanting to buy them as being lovely. I just don’t think Zaha would be sat at home moaning that we offered £52m rather than £72m. 

If I was the player I’d want my new club to still have some money to invest in more players, or in my wages. 

not to mention as a player i'd rather play alongside gylfi gomes richarlison bernard than the tom dick and harry attackers palace have.  it would be more fun. who knows though, maybe he likes being the big fish in a small pond, some guys love that ego trip

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not to mention as a player i'd rather play alongside gylfi gomes richarlison bernard than the tom dick and harry attackers palace have.  it would be more fun. who knows though, maybe he likes being the big fish in a small pond, some guys love that ego trip

We may be the perfect club for him, he didn't have a great time at UTD, and he is not able to play to his potential at Palace, we could be the perfect choice. Able to play at a higher level and challenge top 6 for a cup without the naval gazing of being at a UTD.

I doubt Palace will let him go on deadline day, or with less than a week to go, as they will need to replace him and that will take time.

Just now, London Blue said:

We may be the perfect club for him, he didn't have a great time at UTD, and he is not able to play to his potential at Palace, we could be the perfect choice. Able to play at a higher level and challenge top 6 for a cup without the naval gazing of being at a UTD.

I doubt Palace will let him go on deadline day, or with less than a week to go, as they will need to replace him and that will take time.

If a player was included that would help. Also money talks so if they think it makes financial sense then they’ll do it. Who knows it might already be nearly done but palace want a replacement before they sell and get ripped off by other clubs knowing they’ve had a windfall on Zaha. 

1 minute ago, barryj said:

If a player was included that would help. Also money talks so if they think it makes financial sense then they’ll do it. Who knows it might already be nearly done but palace want a replacement before they sell and get ripped off by other clubs knowing they’ve had a windfall on Zaha. 

Zaha is the main reason Palace stayed up, if we gave the Bolasie and McCarthy they would still need to replace Zaha's goals.

As you say, time will tell.

3 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Zaha is the main reason Palace stayed up, if we gave the Bolasie and McCarthy they would still need to replace Zaha's goals.

As you say, time will tell.

Yeah for this reason I don’t think they have any intention of selling this window. Their fans would be livid. I think they just throw out a crazy number so they can pretend they are not blocking a player who would prefer to move.