IGNORED

Rodrigo

• 3 years later...

Linked with a £3M deal… many will dwell on the 32 going on 33 age and no resale value but that’d be ridiculous - he’s far superior to any attacking player we have or have had since James Rodriguez- I’d love him here personally. We need young/long term options but sometimes a deal is far too good to ignore.

Before Twitter went silly today, Alan Myers tweeted that he thinks (no evidence just personal opinion) we’ll sign Rodrigo and we’ll be exploring the loan and free market. Signing Rodrigo and maybe Dembele (free) or cheapish option e.g. Piroe or some unknown from foreign league on non-PL wages would be top business in my opinion.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Before Twitter went silly today, Alan Myers tweeted that he thinks (no evidence just personal opinion) we’ll sign Rodrigo and we’ll be exploring the loan and free market. Signing Rodrigo and maybe Dembele (free) or cheapish option e.g. Piroe or some unknown from foreign league on non-PL wages would be top business in my opinion.

Seen that Rodrigo seems to be pretty close 

38 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Seen that Rodrigo seems to be pretty close 

We all want to plan long-term but Our short-term future in the Premier League is integral - a low price, top quality player like this is exactly what we need now. I personally thought a top Spanish team would snap him up but if we’ve got a chance, he must be a priority.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Hardly a big revelation.

14 hours ago, c1982 said:

We all want to plan long-term but Our short-term future in the Premier League is integral - a low price, top quality player like this is exactly what we need now. I personally thought a top Spanish team would snap him up but if we’ve got a chance, he must be a priority.

Yeah. We simply don’t have the money to buy 25/26 year old quality players.  Rodrigo will give us a decent level of output and for 2 years hopefully give a decent return on investment 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Yeah. We simply don’t have the money to buy 25/26 year old quality players.  Rodrigo will give us a decent level of output and for 2 years hopefully give a decent return on investment 

I’ve seen a few comments (on Twitter) saying we never learn - this isn’t overpaying on Schneiderlin, Walcott, Sigurdsson, Bolasie, Tosun etc - it’s not even paying too much for a Delph or Williams type. This is smart business at a nominal fee - by modern day standards anyway.

47 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I’ve seen a few comments (on Twitter) saying we never learn - this isn’t overpaying on Schneiderlin, Walcott, Sigurdsson, Bolasie, Tosun etc - it’s not even paying too much for a Delph or Williams type. This is smart business at a nominal fee - by modern day standards anyway.

Jesus. Reading some of those names just gave me Vietnam flashbacks. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Given our current situation, I totally agree with this - especially if experienced players can inspire the younger. Just think how much Cannon would learn from Rodrigo, for example.

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

Given our current situation, I totally agree with this - especially if experienced players can inspire the younger. Just think how much Cannon would learn from Rodrigo, for example.

If Rodrigo comes in that will likely mean Cannon is at another club.

6 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

He played a mix of CF and AM for Leeds. Hopefully he can replace doucs as the behind the fwd role. Might not have the engine/high press that doucs has but would give more creativity

I'd be surprised if we weren't bringing him in the play CF.

I'm a bit on the fence with this as he gives me some Maupay vibes.

Leeds have been one of the most attacking teams in the league under Bielsa and Marsch and yet he scored 7, 6 and 13 respectively each season with 4 assists in the league. In total they are the same numbers that Maupay managed with Brighton, albeit the latter managed more minutes across the 3 season comparison. On xG he over-performed by over 4 goals last season, so you would expect the lower numbers to be more his level. It should be pointed out that he has played across the forward positions (usually as Bamford is the main striker, which in itself raises an eyebrow).

Whilst Maupay should be entering his prime (don't all laugh at once!), Rodrigo is the twilight of his career and in all likelihood his levels are going to be more difficult to maintain and his is more likely to pick up injuries.

In terms of the eye test, when I have seen him play, I don't see loads from him and that is for a team that should suit him rather than moving into a team like ours where it will be a bit more of a struggle. He can at least strike a ball cleanly and give either player a chance,  I would definitely back Rodrigo. He also has good feet, is certainly quicker than Maupay and is a good player with others around him. I doubt he will offer too much with his back to goal, building attacks in the way we do with Dom leading the line which is why I am slightly on the fence.

Overall I think its a case of him being better than the back-up but how much difference it will make remains to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the big Saudi spending spree is really going to effect the transfer market this summer. A choice of big money moves to Saudi over the likes of relegation battles at Everton might turn a few players heads and make certain part of the market a bit more hotly contested. 

Also a Saudi move is looking quite fashionable at the moment. It might not last but definitely a factor in this summers market.  

30 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think the big Saudi spending spree is really going to effect the transfer market this summer. A choice of big money moves to Saudi over the likes of relegation battles at Everton might turn a few players heads and make certain part of the market a bit more hotly contested. 

Also a Saudi move is looking quite fashionable at the moment. It might not last but definitely a factor in this summers market.  

If that's the case, wouldn't want them anyways