Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know there’s still a month to go in the transfer window so squads can change but what’s your predictions for the new season? Players to watch out for or surprise teams? I’m excited to see the mess that united will be in after a dozen games and think Newcastle will be relegated which will please me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only concentrate on us as Ive has it drilled into me all my life that as long as I do my job, the opposition does t matter. Play your game and make them think of you.

Im expecting us to finish around 6-7 but be a lot closer to making a dent in that top six. Really interested to see if the end of the season was just simply a run, or if it’s clicked. 

Expecting Richarlison to continue to improve and have another good season. I’m also hoping to see DCL either score some goals or find his level. My prediction is he is going to surprise a few doubters, as finishing is a skill that can just one day click (Henry).

Very optimistic for the coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

United fan mate of mine today said he thinks we will have a good season this year. Thinks we could even finish above united. 

I'm not so sure. I think this season bare minimum would be 7th but I'd want us mixing in and pushing that top 5/6 all season. 

Because of the state of some other clubs around us at the minute this is our chance to actually break into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

United fan mate of mine today said he thinks we will have a good season this year. Thinks we could even finish above united. 

I'm not so sure. I think this season bare minimum would be 7th but I'd want us mixing in and pushing that top 5/6 all season. 

Because of the state of some other clubs around us at the minute this is our chance to actually break into it. 

We will know very early where we are headed this year. Our opening 10 or so games are very favorable. I would be surprised if any team has an easier start to the season. If we aren’t in a European spot after the first  2-3 months it’s gonna be a struggle to get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesnt have to be about us I was meaning as the whole premier league. Who do you think will struggle who do you think will be the dark horses? Personally I think arsenal haven’t got the money to buy what they need i.e a whole back four and midfield. Chelsea haven’t got the firepower or the creativity this season and united are a mess. Top four is going begging. Not saying it will be us challenging but I hope someone gives it a go. I like villa’s business so far, they aren’t messing about and I can see them being comfortable. I think sheff united will struggle as they are in the middle of a board room ownership issue so I think they won’t go crazy in the market they will buy decent championship players ready if they go down. Norwich play good football but they will struggle aswell. I think Newcastle are doomed already. Asset stripping and Steve Bruce? Jesus. Let’s see how the “greatest” fans in the world react to it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to look at the sides that will get worse over the summer which unfortunately in the Top 6 isn't many. Manchester City and Liverpool are surely going to compete for the title and won't be anywhere near P5, nevermind out of the Europa places altogether. 

Chelsea, even with a transfer ban should be good enough to keep European football. I don't know if I'm in the minority but think that Lampard is the best appointment for the situation that they are in, Eden Hazard gone and a transfer ban means they need someone who knows the club inside and out and there's no better than Frank, especially after doing a year getting his managerial feet under the table with Derby County. 

Spurs will be up there so that's four pretty much nailed above us but then you look at the potential fallers, Arsenal and Manchester United. Both have always been up there but it's anyone's guess as to how they will do next season, there are real problems at Arsenal (captain Koscielny is on strike at the moment) and obviously United have their own problems with Pogba and Lukaku wanting to leave alongside a relatively unproven manager in Solkjaer, someone who started well but crawled to the end of the season with a bucket full of poor results. I don't know if we are good enough over the full season to better these teams but if anyone it's going to be those two. 

Around us, there's the unknown of Wolves, a great season after promotion and without losing any big players they should have the capacity to do it again, it's just a question as to whether they can keep it up or whether this is just "first season syndrome" and they drop back down. They've got quality in Ruben Neves, Rui Patricio and Raul Jiminez but haven't strengthened too much which might come back to bite them on the backside. Leicester on the other hand have spent arguably well with Youri Tielemans and Ayoze Perez but I just don't think that Brendan Rodgers will improve them in the time that he stays there, he fluffed a league title with an outstanding Luis Suarez and a five point lead and since then managed to win a one-team league with Celtic. I expect them to still be behind us, as will West Ham (who finished 10th and have sold three of their strikers). 

Looking into the bottom half, there's nobody that I can see making the leap into the top 10. Watford, Crystal Palace and Newcastle United who finished the highest in the bottom half won't challenge and the latter two have worse squads at the moment than when they finished 2018/19 with the departures of Wan-Bissaka, Benitez and Perez. 

Therefore, wrapping this post up. I think we will be 7th. It's an uninspiring prediction but the most realistic one, if anyone drops out of the top 6 then we look the best outfit to pounce but if we don't have a ridiculous fall from grace then there's no reason why we should be worrying about anything 8th and below. Hopefully that's enough to give us the European nights at Goodison again that I've been craving. 

Edit: Regarding players that will have an outstanding season, Richarlison on the back of Copa America triumph will be on fire. We still need a striker, but he's going to be tough to handle in and around the box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we’ll get 4th.  Liverpool city and spurs above us.  Arsenal 5th Chelsea 6th United 7th.  Wolves will be dealing with Europa which I’ll derail their league campaign.  Leicester Vardy is ancient and I don’t rate Perez.  I think if we play our game we can do this.  It’s going to be wide open for 4th so why not us?  I’m optimistic.

 

richarlison DCL and gylfi will all be on 15 goals or more.  Pickford will won keeper of the year and be sold in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think lampard is probably the man they need but that isn’t going to plug the gap of them being a shadow of what they were. They will have a strike force of giroud, Abraham and bitshuyai. Which to me is average. They have lost hazard and gained pulisic. They have jorginiho, Barkley and kovacic in the middle of the park alongside Kante admittedly. That to me isn’t scaring me at all. Furthermore their defence isn’t great either. I know they have quality but if we get our consistency away from home i don’t think they are a million miles away from us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I think we’ll get 4th.  Liverpool city and spurs above us.  Arsenal 5th Chelsea 6th United 7th.  Wolves will be dealing with Europa which I’ll derail their league campaign.  Leicester Vardy is ancient and I don’t rate Perez.  I think if we play our game we can do this.  It’s going to be wide open for 4th so why not us?  I’m optimistic.

 

richarlison DCL and gylfi will all be on 15 goals or more.  Pickford will won keeper of the year and be sold in the summer.

Love your optimism mark. One player for us I think might be the star is Bernard. He struggled at the start from lack of pre season but he was a joy to watch at times for us in the second half of the season. If he can add goals to his game I think he might be our main man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

You have to look at the sides that will get worse over the summer which unfortunately in the Top 6 isn't many. Manchester City and Liverpool are surely going to compete for the title and won't be anywhere near P5, nevermind out of the Europa places altogether. 

Chelsea, even with a transfer ban should be good enough to keep European football. I don't know if I'm in the minority but think that Lampard is the best appointment for the situation that they are in, Eden Hazard gone and a transfer ban means they need someone who knows the club inside and out and there's no better than Frank, especially after doing a year getting his managerial feet under the table with Derby County. 

Spurs will be up there so that's four pretty much nailed above us but then you look at the potential fallers, Arsenal and Manchester United. Both have always been up there but it's anyone's guess as to how they will do next season, there are real problems at Arsenal (captain Koscielny is on strike at the moment) and obviously United have their own problems with Pogba and Lukaku wanting to leave alongside a relatively unproven manager in Solkjaer, someone who started well but crawled to the end of the season with a bucket full of poor results. I don't know if we are good enough over the full season to better these teams but if anyone it's going to be those two. 

Around us, there's the unknown of Wolves, a great season after promotion and without losing any big players they should have the capacity to do it again, it's just a question as to whether they can keep it up or whether this is just "first season syndrome" and they drop back down. They've got quality in Ruben Neves, Rui Patricio and Raul Jiminez but haven't strengthened too much which might come back to bite them on the backside. Leicester on the other hand have spent arguably well with Youri Tielemans and Ayoze Perez but I just don't think that Brendan Rodgers will improve them in the time that he stays there, he fluffed a league title with an outstanding Luis Suarez and a five point lead and since then managed to win a one-team league with Celtic. I expect them to still be behind us, as will West Ham (who finished 10th and have sold three of their strikers). 

Looking into the bottom half, there's nobody that I can see making the leap into the top 10. Watford, Crystal Palace and Newcastle United who finished the highest in the bottom half won't challenge and the latter two have worse squads at the moment than when they finished 2018/19 with the departures of Wan-Bissaka, Benitez and Perez. 

Therefore, wrapping this post up. I think we will be 7th. It's an uninspiring prediction but the most realistic one, if anyone drops out of the top 6 then we look the best outfit to pounce but if we don't have a ridiculous fall from grace then there's no reason why we should be worrying about anything 8th and below. Hopefully that's enough to give us the European nights at Goodison again that I've been craving. 

Edit: Regarding players that will have an outstanding season, Richarlison on the back of Copa America triumph will be on fire. We still need a striker, but he's going to be tough to handle in and around the box. 

Good post. 

Im not sure where Arsenal are going so they are the one I most expect to flop. I am undecided on how Lampard and Solksjear will fair. Both need to revamp their squads, however Chelsea have enough players on loan to do that even with the transfer ban. Chelsea have a good enough squad to compete whereas I am not as sure about Utd. They carry too many fair weather players like Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and they have lost a fighter in Herera. 

I disagree about Leicester though, I think they will really push and they have bought well. I also think Rodgers is a decent manager, as much as it pains me to say that. 

I dont see any reason why Wolves won't do as well as they did last year other than the EL curse. 

I think similar comments apply to us, but given we had so many new players and a new manager we should improve but whether it will be enough to close the gap is a different story. We will definitely need to score more goals and whilst I expect Bernard to chip in more this season, maybe Gomes too, I dont think that will be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The positive thing is if we manage to get Zouma the defence was rock solid in the last dozen games. We are difficult to break down. If we get that goalscorer and a player that can do a bit of magic in the final third we are in business. We had a horrible Christmas time which fucked us. Coincided with Gomes being out of form and conceding from set pieces. We won’t be talked about as usual but if we can finish our chances away from home against the big boys that gap will close 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leicester could be dark horses as said they have made some decent signings, again I think Wolves will do well, it will be interesting to see how Villa do on there return it's taken them longer to get back than was expected I think they will struggle but stay up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Just listening to talksport bigging up Leicester and wolves for top six. We didn’t get a mention 

Probably because we haven’t improved our team yet from last season, in fact looking at the loss of Zouma they would probably consider us to be in a worse position, and Wolves and Leicester in particular have made some good signings. 

So no real big surprise for me that pundits don’t rate our chances of getting in top six, we need some big signings to show we are serious challengers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather us slip under the radar, the quality we have in are team with a couple of signings we should easily be challenging the top 6 if not the top 4, Arsenal are no great shakes and who knows what's going to happen at United and Chelsea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JimmytheJimster said:

I'd rather us slip under the radar, the quality we have in are team with a couple of signings we should easily be challenging the top 6 if not the top 4, Arsenal are no great shakes and who knows what's going to happen at United and Chelsea 

This, if Talkshite were bigging us up I'd worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Probably because we haven’t improved our team yet from last season, in fact looking at the loss of Zouma they would probably consider us to be in a worse position, and Wolves and Leicester in particular have made some good signings. 

So no real big surprise for me that pundits don’t rate our chances of getting in top six, we need some big signings to show we are serious challengers. 

who have wolves signed?  they signed jimenez to a long term deal but he was with them last year.  i don't think they've brought anyone else in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

who have wolves signed?  they signed jimenez to a long term deal but he was with them last year.  i don't think they've brought anyone else in.  

Your right Mark thanks for correcting me you show off 👍😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been reading a recent interview from Micheal Keane who says that it’s the first time he’s come to pre season with the same manager and how beneficial it is as you can start straight away knowing what you already know. That might be a real advantage this year. Just hope we get out of the blocks well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Spurs move up a spot to round out the top 3, and Chelsea drops into 4th.

Of the others that finished ahead of us, I think ManU is a dumpster fire and will tumble, and I think Wolves will struggle with the additional games and travel. If we can build from the end of the season and have some luck, we could overtake Arsenal and finish 5th, and that would be a good year for me. Finishing 6th with a Euro spot would be an "acceptable" season. Anything worse would be a disappointment for me.

Behind us, I think Leicester City and *gasp* West Ham are the threats. 

As of today. WIth 2.5 weeks in the window (Chelsea aside), who knows what the other top ten may add or lose, us included. ManU will likely be the most volatile,  but they could still drop $100M in the squad and get a couple guys that tear the EPL up. Pulisic may be a flop and leave Chelsea with a creative hole that drops them out of the top 6. 

Everybody above us has the rigors of Europe in addition to anything else they have going on, so that should be an advantage for us when the season starts. I'd like to jump on Mark's 4th place bandwagon, it's not inconceivable, but for me 5th is the reasonable ceiling. With looming transfers and possible injuries to any team, this entire post could be absurd by the time we get to Selhurst on the 10th.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Chelsea’s front three will be giroud, Abraham and bitshaui or whatever his name is. Can’t see the goals to hit champs league from that. But compare us at the minute? We are well worse 

That's 3 strikers. Abraham is a big kid with potential, but only has one year in the EPL and not many goals - yet.

Batman has been "the next big thing" for a few years now, but hasn't really impressed much in the EPL, 5 goals at Palace last year Actually has more goals for Belgium.

Giroud is a big proper target man, but he's also 32 years old and only scored twice in league play last year.

That's 7 EPL goals between the three of them last year., even though Abraham had a great year at Villa in the Championship. Even if you go back one season prior, they only have 13 (I think) league goals between them. So roughly 20 in 2 seasons. Walcott, DCL and Richarlison had 24 league goals last year between them.

I'd like to see more firepower come in, but looking at those three against the three we currently have, I'll take my chances with ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

That's 3 strikers. Abraham is a big kid with potential, but only has one year in the EPL and not many goals - yet.

Batman has been "the next big thing" for a few years now, but hasn't really impressed much in the EPL, 5 goals at Palace last year Actually has more goals for Belgium.

Giroud is a big proper target man, but he's also 32 years old and only scored twice in league play last year.

That's 7 EPL goals between the three of them last year., even though Abraham had a great year at Villa in the Championship. Even if you go back one season prior, they only have 13 (I think) league goals between them. So roughly 20 in 2 seasons. Walcott, DCL and Richarlison had 24 league goals last year between them.

I'd like to see more firepower come in, but looking at those three against the three we currently have, I'll take my chances with ours.

Agreed.  I think Chelsea and united are the weakest of the big 6 teams.  Chelsea lost hazard and only got pulisic who is young and untested in the PL.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Chelsea ends up like 9th or something.  Who is their front 3?  Pedro giroud willian?  Yeah I’m not worried about them at all.  Wolves and Leicester look better on paper than Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see anyone getting near Man City or Liverpool again. Spurs should be comfortable for a CL spot, as good as anyone on their day but don't have the depth of squad for a title tilt imo. After that it's anyone's guess. Expect Solksjaer to flop and be sacked by Xmas, Lampard could go either way at Chelsea, flounder without Hazard or galvanise a talented squad with talented kids and surprise a few people. Arsenal are nothing special, Leicester could do very well under Rodgers, Wolves will probably find Europa football harms their league form, like most do. 

As for us... I still think the squad is woefully light. I was hopeful we'd have done a lot more business at this stage, including shipping more out, but that's what happens when you have players on wages no one wants to pay. I think until a few contracts expire we're hamstrung. Wouldn't be surprised if its another frustrating season ending in a 9th/8th place finish, without some major changes in the coming weeks I don't see the squad being better than that. More optimistically, Silva really proves himself with what we've got, we get on a role and make a serious push for top 5 as other teams flounder... 

At the other end of the table, Newcastle nailed on to go down. Rest will be a real dog fight, wouldn't be surprised if West Ham got dragged into it again. All 3 promoted clubs have a chance of staying up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ghoat said:

That's 3 strikers. Abraham is a big kid with potential, but only has one year in the EPL and not many goals - yet.

Batman has been "the next big thing" for a few years now, but hasn't really impressed much in the EPL, 5 goals at Palace last year Actually has more goals for Belgium.

Giroud is a big proper target man, but he's also 32 years old and only scored twice in league play last year.

That's 7 EPL goals between the three of them last year., even though Abraham had a great year at Villa in the Championship. Even if you go back one season prior, they only have 13 (I think) league goals between them. So roughly 20 in 2 seasons. Walcott, DCL and Richarlison had 24 league goals last year between them.

I'd like to see more firepower come in, but looking at those three against the three we currently have, I'll take my chances with ours.

I’m not talking about Richarlison and Walcott they aren’t strikers. I’m talking DCl, Tosun and niasse that’s our three strikers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ghoat said:

That's 3 strikers. Abraham is a big kid with potential, but only has one year in the EPL and not many goals - yet.

Batman has been "the next big thing" for a few years now, but hasn't really impressed much in the EPL, 5 goals at Palace last year Actually has more goals for Belgium.

Giroud is a big proper target man, but he's also 32 years old and only scored twice in league play last year.

That's 7 EPL goals between the three of them last year., even though Abraham had a great year at Villa in the Championship. Even if you go back one season prior, they only have 13 (I think) league goals between them. So roughly 20 in 2 seasons. Walcott, DCL and Richarlison had 24 league goals last year between them.

I'd like to see more firepower come in, but looking at those three against the three we currently have, I'll take my chances with ours.

 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Agreed.  I think Chelsea and united are the weakest of the big 6 teams.  Chelsea lost hazard and only got pulisic who is young and untested in the PL.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Chelsea ends up like 9th or something.  Who is their front 3?  Pedro giroud willian?  Yeah I’m not worried about them at all.  Wolves and Leicester look better on paper than Chelsea.

Don't forget Chelsea have Hudson-Odoi to come back in and Giroud was scoring around the 20 a season mark for Arsenal. Pulisic could do be good or bad. Willian and Pedro will chip in but I doubt it will be double figures.

The bottom line is that I would expect al 3 of their strikers to score more than our 3 strikers. Abraham has scored goals at this level for a relegation side, and then good numbers in the Championship, Giroud has it in the locker and Batshuayi will get into enough good positions to score goals and its whether he converts. They have a quality midfield too and Id imagine Loftus-Cheek will bag a few if he plays enough games.

DCL is a worse goal scorer than Abraham. Tosun wont get more than 5 unless he plays 20 plus games and if Niasse plays we wont be able to keep hold of the ball enough to score the goals in the team even though he may score 5-10 himself. 

The real question is the Lampard factor, and whether he can bring the best out of those players, rather than the qualities of the individuals themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

 

Don't forget Chelsea have Hudson-Odoi to come back in and Giroud was scoring around the 20 a season mark for Arsenal. Pulisic could do be good or bad. Willian and Pedro will chip in but I doubt it will be double figures.

The bottom line is that I would expect al 3 of their strikers to score more than our 3 strikers. Abraham has scored goals at this level for a relegation side, and then good numbers in the Championship, Giroud has it in the locker and Batshuayi will get into enough good positions to score goals and its whether he converts. They have a quality midfield too and Id imagine Loftus-Cheek will bag a few if he plays enough games.

DCL is a worse goal scorer than Abraham. Tosun wont get more than 5 unless he plays 20 plus games and if Niasse plays we wont be able to keep hold of the ball enough to score the goals in the team even though he may score 5-10 himself. 

The real question is the Lampard factor, and whether he can bring the best out of those players, rather than the qualities of the individuals themselves.

hudson odoi is unproven in the prem, he's english so he's the new messi (not for me but for all of you guys) but he scored a sum total of 0 goals in the league last year.  vault me he won't hit double figures.  giroud is ancient and he has never scored 20 in the premier league EVER.  last time was 2011/2012 in ligue 1 21 goals.  he's also going to be getting a lot of attention now that hazard is gone.  pedro and batshuayi don't scare me at all, pedro is getting old too at 31.

 

i'm not saying tosun and niasse dcl will score more, i'm saying they are not a good side on paper and i truly believe that they will be outside top 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abraham to me is a championship player. His one season in the prem he was terrible for Swansea. Pedro is decent but pulisic could go either way and we all know about Barkley. I just feel that fourth is going begging this season and with the right signings we could be up there. We need definitely a creative player in case one of Gilfi or Bernie gets injured and certainly a striker. Saw a link to das Bost again today. He scores some goals that lad does but not the type of forward I want 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

hudson odoi is unproven in the prem, he's english so he's the new messi (not for me but for all of you guys) but he scored a sum total of 0 goals in the league last year.  vault me he won't hit double figures.  giroud is ancient and he has never scored 20 in the premier league EVER.  last time was 2011/2012 in ligue 1 21 goals.  he's also going to be getting a lot of attention now that hazard is gone.  pedro and batshuayi don't scare me at all, pedro is getting old too at 31.

 

i'm not saying tosun and niasse dcl will score more, i'm saying they are not a good side on paper and i truly believe that they will be outside top 7.

Bit harsh on Hudson Odoi, the kid only got in the team a handful of times. If Bayern were offering the kind of money reported then I expect the lad to be a good player. They are not mugs. 

Also dont think you’ll find anyone here claiming that there are any “new Messi” anywhere to be honest. English or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Bit harsh on Hudson Odoi, the kid only got in the team a handful of times. If Bayern were offering the kind of money reported then I expect the lad to be a good player. They are not mugs. 

Also dont think you’ll find anyone here claiming that there are any “new Messi” anywhere to be honest. English or not. 

the german league is not premier league quality.  bayern and dortmund are good but the rest are lower prem/top championship quality.  players frequently leave the prem not doing well and have wonderful careers in germany.  call me crazy but i don't know that pulisic will light the league up and neither would sancho.  its a more difficult game in england.

 

i'm just ribbing you guys on hudson odoi and your wild media :)  americans feel the same way about pulisic :) (not me though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevO said:

Bit harsh on Hudson Odoi, the kid only got in the team a handful of times. If Bayern were offering the kind of money reported then I expect the lad to be a good player. They are not mugs. 

Also dont think you’ll find anyone here claiming that there are any “new Messi” anywhere to be honest. English or not. 

SSN disagrees though:

12:08
 
 

 

CITY IN £16M TALKS FOR 'NEW MESSI'

Sky Sports News understands Manchester City are in talks with Velez Sarsfield about Thiago Almada, the 18 year-old Argentinian already being dubbed ‘the new Messi.’

City have identified the midfielder as an emerging talent and he is understood to have a release clause of around £16m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Everyone is the new messi remember they lad from Scotland? Gauld? The Scottish messi? There will not be a player like him again 

Funny you should mention Ryan Gauld as he's just been released by Sporting and in turn has signed for SC Farense who play in the second tier of Portugal. He played quite a lot for their "B" team but never made it to the top class, even struggling to get game time for Hibernian when he went back on loan. 

Everyone is the new Messi these days, the only player looking remotely capable of being like Leo is Kylian Mbappé but he won't be as good because nobody can touch Messi, the absolute GOAT (greatest of all time) when it comes to football. We won't see another like him no matter how much the press think otherwise so let's just enjoy him while we can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Everyone is the new messi remember they lad from Scotland? Gauld? The Scottish messi? There will not be a player like him again 

he's plying his trade in a lower portuguese side, still only 23 but i'd say the description missed the line-ol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StevO said:

Bit harsh on Hudson Odoi, the kid only got in the team a handful of times. If Bayern were offering the kind of money reported then I expect the lad to be a good player. They are not mugs. 

Also dont think you’ll find anyone here claiming that there are any “new Messi” anywhere to be honest. English or not. 

Hudson Odoi on the verge of a £180k contract. Seems they rate him a little...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The only time he’s Messi is when he goes for a shit. 

Well he goes Messi with his touch on the ball almost all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Messi hype is rediculous as he's only good in one system. He's held Argentina back much like Gerrard did with England. The countries picked players on the their reputation rather than what they brought to the team. I'd take Aguero over him any day. 

Ronaldo and Zlatan have done it in more leagues. Both are stronger, better with their weak foots, and better in the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Messi hype is rediculous as he's only good in one system. He's held Argentina back much like Gerrard did with England. The countries picked players on the their reputation rather than what they brought to the team. I'd take Aguero over him any day. 

Ronaldo and Zlatan have done it in more leagues. Both are stronger, better with their weak foots, and better in the air. 

Might know you'd not fancy a player who has scored 600 club goals and has a one-in-two record in 136 internationals! Shit him, get him to PSG with Gana! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nogs said:

Might know you'd not fancy a player who has scored 600 club goals and has a one-in-two record in 136 internationals! Shit him, get him to PSG with Gana! 

Done great for Barca but failed for Argentina. Small sample size but he's only done it with the best of the best around him and only in one system. 

Bojan got a goal or an assist every 108 minutes for barca yet in his prime struggled to get minutes in the Championship with Stoke. Aspas couldn't get in the Liverpool team yet is the third best striker in that league. Tin pot league were you can't really compare the goals scored to a league like ours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Always missing the target... it’s the reason that Koeman didn’t want him anywhere near Finch Farm!

Hahaha that’s cracked me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with a PeteO to an extent with Messi. Wonderful player, truly a great, but has always failed to live up to his name internationally. Usually ends anonymous in tournament finals.

Not saying he is t one of the worlds greatest ever, but he has never lived up to his own standards set at club level, when in the big international stage.

Ronaldo has singlehandedly won tournaments for club and country, with rubbish players around him.

But again, I hate the Ronaldo/Messi comparisons. Both different t players. Messi is a sublime skilful player, Ronaldo is a powerful inhuman athlete. Niasse is a mix of both..... with none of the skills, technique, power, or .... well anything really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Done great for Barca but failed for Argentina. Small sample size but he's only done it with the best of the best around him and only in one system. 

Bojan got a goal or an assist every 108 minutes for barca yet in his prime struggled to get minutes in the Championship with Stoke. Aspas couldn't get in the Liverpool team yet is the third best striker in that league. Tin pot league were you can't really compare the goals scored to a league like ours. 

But Messi has also scored 100-plus CL goals. And has scored more goals for Argentina than Aguero. Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic, the others you mentioned, have hardly played for shit teams have they? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Ronaldo has singlehandedly won tournaments for club and country, with rubbish players around him.

See I have to take issue with this. What tournaments has Ronaldo won at Man Utd, Real Madrid, Juventus and Portugal with rubbish players around him?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nogs said:

See I have to take issue with this. What tournaments has Ronaldo won at Man Utd, Real Madrid, Juventus and Portugal with rubbish players around him?? 

Can’t say the Portuguese team that won the Euros was anything more than decent. He definitively carried them in that tournament, but i do generally agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...