IGNORED

New season ahead

16 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Chelsea’s front three will be giroud, Abraham and bitshaui or whatever his name is. Can’t see the goals to hit champs league from that. But compare us at the minute? We are well worse 

That's 3 strikers. Abraham is a big kid with potential, but only has one year in the EPL and not many goals - yet.

Batman has been "the next big thing" for a few years now, but hasn't really impressed much in the EPL, 5 goals at Palace last year Actually has more goals for Belgium.

Giroud is a big proper target man, but he's also 32 years old and only scored twice in league play last year.

That's 7 EPL goals between the three of them last year., even though Abraham had a great year at Villa in the Championship. Even if you go back one season prior, they only have 13 (I think) league goals between them. So roughly 20 in 2 seasons. Walcott, DCL and Richarlison had 24 league goals last year between them.

I'd like to see more firepower come in, but looking at those three against the three we currently have, I'll take my chances with ours.

1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

That's 3 strikers. Abraham is a big kid with potential, but only has one year in the EPL and not many goals - yet.

Batman has been "the next big thing" for a few years now, but hasn't really impressed much in the EPL, 5 goals at Palace last year Actually has more goals for Belgium.

Giroud is a big proper target man, but he's also 32 years old and only scored twice in league play last year.

That's 7 EPL goals between the three of them last year., even though Abraham had a great year at Villa in the Championship. Even if you go back one season prior, they only have 13 (I think) league goals between them. So roughly 20 in 2 seasons. Walcott, DCL and Richarlison had 24 league goals last year between them.

I'd like to see more firepower come in, but looking at those three against the three we currently have, I'll take my chances with ours.

Agreed.  I think Chelsea and united are the weakest of the big 6 teams.  Chelsea lost hazard and only got pulisic who is young and untested in the PL.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Chelsea ends up like 9th or something.  Who is their front 3?  Pedro giroud willian?  Yeah I’m not worried about them at all.  Wolves and Leicester look better on paper than Chelsea.

Don't see anyone getting near Man City or Liverpool again. Spurs should be comfortable for a CL spot, as good as anyone on their day but don't have the depth of squad for a title tilt imo. After that it's anyone's guess. Expect Solksjaer to flop and be sacked by Xmas, Lampard could go either way at Chelsea, flounder without Hazard or galvanise a talented squad with talented kids and surprise a few people. Arsenal are nothing special, Leicester could do very well under Rodgers, Wolves will probably find Europa football harms their league form, like most do. 

As for us... I still think the squad is woefully light. I was hopeful we'd have done a lot more business at this stage, including shipping more out, but that's what happens when you have players on wages no one wants to pay. I think until a few contracts expire we're hamstrung. Wouldn't be surprised if its another frustrating season ending in a 9th/8th place finish, without some major changes in the coming weeks I don't see the squad being better than that. More optimistically, Silva really proves himself with what we've got, we get on a role and make a serious push for top 5 as other teams flounder... 

At the other end of the table, Newcastle nailed on to go down. Rest will be a real dog fight, wouldn't be surprised if West Ham got dragged into it again. All 3 promoted clubs have a chance of staying up. 

9 hours ago, Ghoat said:

I’m not talking about Richarlison and Walcott they aren’t strikers. I’m talking DCl, Tosun and niasse that’s our three strikers 

12 hours ago, Ghoat said:

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Agreed.  I think Chelsea and united are the weakest of the big 6 teams.  Chelsea lost hazard and only got pulisic who is young and untested in the PL.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Chelsea ends up like 9th or something.  Who is their front 3?  Pedro giroud willian?  Yeah I’m not worried about them at all.  Wolves and Leicester look better on paper than Chelsea.

Don't forget Chelsea have Hudson-Odoi to come back in and Giroud was scoring around the 20 a season mark for Arsenal. Pulisic could do be good or bad. Willian and Pedro will chip in but I doubt it will be double figures.

The bottom line is that I would expect al 3 of their strikers to score more than our 3 strikers. Abraham has scored goals at this level for a relegation side, and then good numbers in the Championship, Giroud has it in the locker and Batshuayi will get into enough good positions to score goals and its whether he converts. They have a quality midfield too and Id imagine Loftus-Cheek will bag a few if he plays enough games.

DCL is a worse goal scorer than Abraham. Tosun wont get more than 5 unless he plays 20 plus games and if Niasse plays we wont be able to keep hold of the ball enough to score the goals in the team even though he may score 5-10 himself. 

The real question is the Lampard factor, and whether he can bring the best out of those players, rather than the qualities of the individuals themselves.

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Don't forget Chelsea have Hudson-Odoi to come back in and Giroud was scoring around the 20 a season mark for Arsenal. Pulisic could do be good or bad. Willian and Pedro will chip in but I doubt it will be double figures.

The bottom line is that I would expect al 3 of their strikers to score more than our 3 strikers. Abraham has scored goals at this level for a relegation side, and then good numbers in the Championship, Giroud has it in the locker and Batshuayi will get into enough good positions to score goals and its whether he converts. They have a quality midfield too and Id imagine Loftus-Cheek will bag a few if he plays enough games.

DCL is a worse goal scorer than Abraham. Tosun wont get more than 5 unless he plays 20 plus games and if Niasse plays we wont be able to keep hold of the ball enough to score the goals in the team even though he may score 5-10 himself. 

The real question is the Lampard factor, and whether he can bring the best out of those players, rather than the qualities of the individuals themselves.

hudson odoi is unproven in the prem, he's english so he's the new messi (not for me but for all of you guys) but he scored a sum total of 0 goals in the league last year.  vault me he won't hit double figures.  giroud is ancient and he has never scored 20 in the premier league EVER.  last time was 2011/2012 in ligue 1 21 goals.  he's also going to be getting a lot of attention now that hazard is gone.  pedro and batshuayi don't scare me at all, pedro is getting old too at 31.

i'm not saying tosun and niasse dcl will score more, i'm saying they are not a good side on paper and i truly believe that they will be outside top 7.

Abraham to me is a championship player. His one season in the prem he was terrible for Swansea. Pedro is decent but pulisic could go either way and we all know about Barkley. I just feel that fourth is going begging this season and with the right signings we could be up there. We need definitely a creative player in case one of Gilfi or Bernie gets injured and certainly a striker. Saw a link to das Bost again today. He scores some goals that lad does but not the type of forward I want 

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

hudson odoi is unproven in the prem, he's english so he's the new messi (not for me but for all of you guys) but he scored a sum total of 0 goals in the league last year.  vault me he won't hit double figures.  giroud is ancient and he has never scored 20 in the premier league EVER.  last time was 2011/2012 in ligue 1 21 goals.  he's also going to be getting a lot of attention now that hazard is gone.  pedro and batshuayi don't scare me at all, pedro is getting old too at 31.

i'm not saying tosun and niasse dcl will score more, i'm saying they are not a good side on paper and i truly believe that they will be outside top 7.

Bit harsh on Hudson Odoi, the kid only got in the team a handful of times. If Bayern were offering the kind of money reported then I expect the lad to be a good player. They are not mugs. 

Also dont think you’ll find anyone here claiming that there are any “new Messi” anywhere to be honest. English or not. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Bit harsh on Hudson Odoi, the kid only got in the team a handful of times. If Bayern were offering the kind of money reported then I expect the lad to be a good player. They are not mugs. 

Also dont think you’ll find anyone here claiming that there are any “new Messi” anywhere to be honest. English or not. 

the german league is not premier league quality.  bayern and dortmund are good but the rest are lower prem/top championship quality.  players frequently leave the prem not doing well and have wonderful careers in germany.  call me crazy but i don't know that pulisic will light the league up and neither would sancho.  its a more difficult game in england.

i'm just ribbing you guys on hudson odoi and your wild media :)  americans feel the same way about pulisic :) (not me though)

1 hour ago, StevO said:

SSN disagrees though:

12:08

CITY IN £16M TALKS FOR 'NEW MESSI'

Sky Sports News understands Manchester City are in talks with Velez Sarsfield about Thiago Almada, the 18 year-old Argentinian already being dubbed ‘the new Messi.’

City have identified the midfielder as an emerging talent and he is understood to have a release clause of around £16m.

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Everyone is the new messi remember they lad from Scotland? Gauld? The Scottish messi? There will not be a player like him again 

Funny you should mention Ryan Gauld as he's just been released by Sporting and in turn has signed for SC Farense who play in the second tier of Portugal. He played quite a lot for their "B" team but never made it to the top class, even struggling to get game time for Hibernian when he went back on loan. 

Everyone is the new Messi these days, the only player looking remotely capable of being like Leo is Kylian Mbappé but he won't be as good because nobody can touch Messi, the absolute GOAT (greatest of all time) when it comes to football. We won't see another like him no matter how much the press think otherwise so let's just enjoy him while we can. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Hudson Odoi on the verge of a £180k contract. Seems they rate him a little...

Messi hype is rediculous as he's only good in one system. He's held Argentina back much like Gerrard did with England. The countries picked players on the their reputation rather than what they brought to the team. I'd take Aguero over him any day. 

Ronaldo and Zlatan have done it in more leagues. Both are stronger, better with their weak foots, and better in the air. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Messi hype is rediculous as he's only good in one system. He's held Argentina back much like Gerrard did with England. The countries picked players on the their reputation rather than what they brought to the team. I'd take Aguero over him any day. 

Ronaldo and Zlatan have done it in more leagues. Both are stronger, better with their weak foots, and better in the air. 

Might know you'd not fancy a player who has scored 600 club goals and has a one-in-two record in 136 internationals! Shit him, get him to PSG with Gana! 

34 minutes ago, nogs said:

Might know you'd not fancy a player who has scored 600 club goals and has a one-in-two record in 136 internationals! Shit him, get him to PSG with Gana! 

Done great for Barca but failed for Argentina. Small sample size but he's only done it with the best of the best around him and only in one system. 

Bojan got a goal or an assist every 108 minutes for barca yet in his prime struggled to get minutes in the Championship with Stoke. Aspas couldn't get in the Liverpool team yet is the third best striker in that league. Tin pot league were you can't really compare the goals scored to a league like ours. 

I agree with a PeteO to an extent with Messi. Wonderful player, truly a great, but has always failed to live up to his name internationally. Usually ends anonymous in tournament finals.

Not saying he is t one of the worlds greatest ever, but he has never lived up to his own standards set at club level, when in the big international stage.

Ronaldo has singlehandedly won tournaments for club and country, with rubbish players around him.

But again, I hate the Ronaldo/Messi comparisons. Both different t players. Messi is a sublime skilful player, Ronaldo is a powerful inhuman athlete. Niasse is a mix of both..... with none of the skills, technique, power, or .... well anything really!

56 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Done great for Barca but failed for Argentina. Small sample size but he's only done it with the best of the best around him and only in one system. 

Bojan got a goal or an assist every 108 minutes for barca yet in his prime struggled to get minutes in the Championship with Stoke. Aspas couldn't get in the Liverpool team yet is the third best striker in that league. Tin pot league were you can't really compare the goals scored to a league like ours. 

But Messi has also scored 100-plus CL goals. And has scored more goals for Argentina than Aguero. Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic, the others you mentioned, have hardly played for shit teams have they? 

25 minutes ago, nogs said:

See I have to take issue with this. What tournaments has Ronaldo won at Man Utd, Real Madrid, Juventus and Portugal with rubbish players around him?? 

Can’t say the Portuguese team that won the Euros was anything more than decent. He definitively carried them in that tournament, but i do generally agree