IGNORED

New season ahead

3 hours ago, Matt said:

And that’s the whole point, he offers more to the team, allowing others to get the goals. Alternatively we could have a Lukaku who gets all the goals but doesn’t contribute much more. That was a necessity when he was here, it’s not the case now. 

I asked this same question many times. 

Would we prefer a striker that scored 30 goals and won’t golden boot, but the team only scored a handful between the rest, or a team where more goals are shared between more players. 

Its an obvious one for me. Yet still people seem to want that one top goal scorer.

25 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I asked this same question many times. 

Would we prefer a striker that scored 30 goals and won’t golden boot, but the team only scored a handful between the rest, or a team where more goals are shared between more players. 

Its an obvious one for me. Yet still people seem to want that one top goal scorer.

Goals shared between the team... but I would like my striker to get at least 10-15 league goals - something that DCL can't seem to do, if he will eventually or not, who knows?

25 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Goals shared between the team... but I would like my striker to get at least 10-15 league goals - something that DCL can't seem to do, if he will eventually or not, who knows?

Well he can though can’t he. Goals to minutes show him at about 18 goals a season don't they?

he is in no way prolific, but he’s also nowhere near as bad as being made out. (Not saying you by the way) 

If he was missing sitters etc I could understand  it. But he’s not, he’s played for a team struggling to create and had to feed of scraps. I would just like to see him in another ten matches, and see how he gets on. But I also think we need another striker, just not to the detriment of DCL.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

And that’s the whole point, he offers more to the team, allowing others to get the goals. Alternatively we could have a Lukaku who gets all the goals but doesn’t contribute much more. That was a necessity when he was here, it’s not the case now. 

But the bottom line is only 2 players got over 10 goals. DCL got 6 as the next best. We need to get as close as we can to 70 goals a season to look at the top 4-5 which means we need to find 10-15 goals. We scored more goals under Koeman and Martinez (last season) with Lukaku. It doesnt bother me who scores them but someone does and whilst DCL has his benefits against the better teams when we have to counter attack he isnt going to break down a team that has come to frustrate us.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

This here. Except DCL is only going to get better and get more goals/assists. 

I think that is presumptious. This is his 3rd season in the senior team having played a decent amount of lower league games too. Sure one season he might go off like Shane Long did under Koeman but I dont see anything in his game that says he will do it regularly. Point it out for me if you disagree.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Well he can though can’t he. Goals to minutes show him at about 18 goals a season don't they?

he is in no way prolific, but he’s also nowhere near as bad as being made out. (Not saying you by the way) 

If he was missing sitters etc I could understand  it. But he’s not, he’s played for a team struggling to create and had to feed of scraps. I would just like to see him in another ten matches, and see how he gets on. But I also think we need another striker, just not to the detriment of DCL.

I will believe it when I see it. 

Theoretically he can do in as you've mentioned with mins to goals... But it's different in practice 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

I will believe it when I see it. 

Theoretically he can do in as you've mentioned with mins to goals... But it's different in practice 

Bernard Missed absolute sitters - and he’s 26, how come some say he is going to be different this year.

When I watch DCL - I see a proper footballer. He has touch, power, pace and height. Our run of form at the end of season he played well and we as a team played well for that. The ball doesn’t come straight back at us. I just hope he bags a few goals early this season. A goal in the opening game would be huge for him.

10 minutes ago, Btay said:

Bernard Missed absolute sitters - and he’s 26, how come some say he is going to be different this year.

When I watch DCL - I see a proper footballer. He has touch, power, pace and height. Our run of form at the end of season he played well and we as a team played well for that. The ball doesn’t come straight back at us. I just hope he bags a few goals early this season. A goal in the opening game would be huge for him.

Bernard is a proper footballer 

7 hours ago, Btay said:

You are hoping he bags a few goals early on because you know like a lot have said on here he’s not doing his job if he doesn’t score goals, and he will be replaced for that reason and that reason only and if not why bother saying it. 

We are a team that for all it’s possession struggle to score goals struggle to put teams to bed and it’s been very costly for us last season, and DCL has been one of the biggest problems in that area of our game he just doesn’t score enough or contribute with assists, yes others should be chipping in with goals as well and 3 or 4 have but he’s the striker and as an individual should be getting the most goals or close to, but he’s not and that just isn’t good enough. 

If we don’t get a striker who knows how to find the net consistently we will struggle to progress. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

You are hoping he bags a few goals early on because you know like a lot have said on here he’s not doing his job if he doesn’t score goals, and he will be replaced for that reason and that reason only and if not why bother saying it. 

We are a team that for all it’s possession struggle to score goals struggle to put teams to bed and it’s been very costly for us last season, and DCL has been one of the biggest problems in that area of our game he just doesn’t score enough or contribute with assists, yes others should be chipping in with goals as well and 3 or 4 have but he’s the striker and as an individual should be getting the most goals or close to, but he’s not and that just isn’t good enough. 

If we don’t get a striker who knows how to find the net consistently we will struggle to progress. 

I just think he needs that little boost of self confidence. I also don’t think there’s a lot of great strikers available right now.

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

Big fan, but he missed absolute sitters - DCL hasn’t

Your right Bernard has missed some glaring chances, and DCL hasn’t but for me that underlines another problem he’s not clever enough or hasn’t got the the strikers instinct to get into goal scoring opportunities. 

I would rather see a striker miss a hat full of chances with the knowledge of seeing him getting the opportunities and hope his luck changes and he turns his opportunities into goals, than to see a striker not getting into the right areas to have opportunities. 

11 hours ago, Btay said:

The excuse I give to Bernard last season is that it is a small sample size. half a season starting games in a new country and in a completely different style of football. I didnt watch him before so I cant comment on how good or bad he was at finishing prior to joining us. 

Ultimately though, if he was to do the same next season then we would have the same dilemna with him as we have with DCL.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Big fan, but he missed absolute sitters - DCL hasn’t

3 hours ago, StevO said:

DCL missed a fair few chances last season too. 

For what its worth (i dont understand how these stats are made up) big chances missed last season are

DCL - 7

Bernard - 4

I can think of many times DCL has had a chance and fluffed it. Same with Berny though too.

We don’t score enough goals because of key positions in the side which contribute very little. Centre forward, centre mids and wide forward/winger offer little because of Bernard, DCL, Gomes and gueye. We need far more goals and Bernard and DCL will take the most slack. I honestly feel they are the two we are looking to replace, hopefully if we can get Zaha and moise kean. Footballs a simple game, you have to score more than the opposition. Bernard can cruyff turn and nutmeg people all day long on the halfway line but for me he’s like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets near the goal. As is DCL. They’ve been playing football for years and have never scored goals. I hate to tell everyone but this isn’t about to change because of cliche reasons such as adapting to the premier league, a full pre season, etc etc. we use these excuses as hope rather than pointing to examples. 

Let’s just get some goal scorers in and win more games

Zaha definitely would. He scores goals. He’s not lethal but he knows where the net is. I’ve just checked he scored 10 league goals last year. That’s 9 more than Bernard. I haven’t seen moise kean play so I can’t comment but from what I understand his fundamental role in the team is to score. 

Digne will score 3 or 4, centre halves the same, Coleman maybe 1. Gomes 1 or 2, Bernard 1 or 2, DCL maybe 10 if were being optimistic. That leaves Richarlison, Walcott, Delph and sig to bang in about 50 goals in between them for us to score over 70 goals in a season. That’s what we have right now. Surely adding kean and Zaha adds more goals????

21 minutes ago, sydneyneil said:

Zaha definitely would. He scores goals. He’s not lethal but he knows where the net is. I’ve just checked he scored 10 league goals last year. That’s 9 more than Bernard. I haven’t seen moise kean play so I can’t comment but from what I understand his fundamental role in the team is to score. 

Digne will score 3 or 4, centre halves the same, Coleman maybe 1. Gomes 1 or 2, Bernard 1 or 2, DCL maybe 10 if were being optimistic. That leaves Richarlison, Walcott, Delph and sig to bang in about 50 goals in between them for us to score over 70 goals in a season. That’s what we have right now. Surely adding kean and Zaha adds more goals????

I think so too mate. Not seen anything of Kean but he has a good reputation. I’d like to see us with a bit of squad depth, giving us a few options when people drop out of form. 

10 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

We don’t score enough goals because of key positions in the side which contribute very little. Centre forward, centre mids and wide forward/winger offer little because of Bernard, DCL, Gomes and gueye. We need far more goals and Bernard and DCL will take the most slack. I honestly feel they are the two we are looking to replace, hopefully if we can get Zaha and moise kean. Footballs a simple game, you have to score more than the opposition. Bernard can cruyff turn and nutmeg people all day long on the halfway line but for me he’s like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets near the goal. As is DCL. They’ve been playing football for years and have never scored goals. I hate to tell everyone but this isn’t about to change because of cliche reasons such as adapting to the premier league, a full pre season, etc etc. we use these excuses as hope rather than pointing to examples. 

Let’s just get some goal scorers in and win more games

Did you see Bernard play at Shaktar or are you just presuming it was the case? 

A brief look at Bernards stats suggest he is a 1 in 6  scorer but a 1 in 4 assister.

He was way down on that last season but I wouldnt expect him to improve on that. If he can score 5 and add 10 assists it would be a productive season for him IMO given everything else he can bring to the side.

If bernard can get a handful of goals and a handful of assists I'd be content with that.

His link up play down the left causes all sorts of problems for opposition defences and although he hasnt got the best goals and assists combined this season he has had some major contribution to our attacking phase - take Richarlisons counter attack goal (can't remember who it was against but we broke from a corner we conceded, siggy provided the assist which was a smart first time finish to the keepers near post) bernard had a part to play in that. His link up down the left has allowed us to get the most of of Digne, who for me is by far our best player.

This is a big season for Bernard, but I've every faith he can become a more important player for us.

The goals can't come from everywhere - but if we had a striker who could grab 10-15, siggy, richarlison and Zaha would proide the rest.