IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

With Silva saying he was one of our main targets maybe he wasn’t the panic signing some are thinking he is. 

Could be one of a few reasons he’s saying that though. Don’t really care why, just happy he signed 

Well this appeared to come out of nowhere with no mention of it anywhere before yesterday. I wasn’t that excited by it yesterday but 24 hours is a long time in football and I’m much more positive now. Mainly as a 23 year old isn’t the end product so for the club he’s a solid purchase and fits the current ethos. 

If he was one of our main targets and presumably Zaha was first we should have had the price lined up as to what arsenal would accept if Zaha or whoever fell through. The fact that we got a bid knocked back a couple of days ago suggests not. I’ve been reading a few websites and one in particular said morishi is getting advice from a third party to buy a “marquee signing” this was when Costa was being bandied about. The site said if it happens brands and silva would be pissed off and it could cause friction. The whole Zaha deal doesn’t seem like a brands signing. Marco hasn’t spoke about him. The owebi deal feels like an Everton signing under brands 

6 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

If he was one of our main targets and presumably Zaha was first we should have had the price lined up as to what arsenal would accept if Zaha or whoever fell through. The fact that we got a bid knocked back a couple of days ago suggests not. I’ve been reading a few websites and one in particular said morishi is getting advice from a third party to buy a “marquee signing” this was when Costa was being bandied about. The site said if it happens brands and silva would be pissed off and it could cause friction. The whole Zaha deal doesn’t seem like a brands signing. Marco hasn’t spoke about him. The owebi deal feels like an Everton signing under brands 

First bids are usually knocked back unless they’re too good to turn down/the club is in dire straits. Just basic negotiation strategy. 

12 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Everton and credible reporters have all stated there was one bid a while back for 52m, they said no and we moved on.  I think Brands and Silva would have liked Zaha had they said yes, never hurts to ask.  Said no and they move to Iwobi.  I don't get the Moshiri stuff, who was our marquee signing last window?  Richarlison?  the guy the media lambasted us for "overpaying" and breaking the market?  he was from watford and had like 7 goals, hardly marquee.  The journos just love to make stuff up.  

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think this is the transfer I’m most excited about 

I watched him in the recent ACN.  The way he creates chances with his running and spacial awareness is brilliant.  He's sometimes too quick with his passing, totally unexpected at times - a bit Deulofeu but without the swagger.  He just gets on with it.  He's 23 and was telling others where they should be without any prima donna about him.  He's a proper team player.

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

I know Vids can make anybody look good but this fella isn't too bad.......

Big, strong, weird legs(!) and amazing feet but I hope he learns to do the tricks as and when is needed. Granted it’s a highlight reel but nearly all of them cut out before you see what happens after the trickery / final ball. Mind you, others that have gone on to be hugely successful did they when they were young too, it’ll come with experience - he’s got it all, just needs refining. 

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Most assists in the team last season, twice as many as Ozil. Can certainly keep hold of the ball.

Oh I know, but that video doesn’t show that and it’s also very dependent on others being on the same wavelength as him. 

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Much rather iwobi @ 23 years old and 30mil over zaha and what was quoted.

Everytime I’ve watched arsenal he’s been their bright spark - positive player.

He will be better than Zaha’s current level at 26.

Highly doubt that

Quite pleased by this signing. It's not just the player but the combination we'll have up front: young, tricky, fast. If Iwobi can gel with Richarlison, Kean, and Calvert-Lewin, we could be scoring a lot of goals this year.

In fact, now that we haven't signed Zaha (worth half the quoted price), I think we've had a good window. I'm actually a fan of Lossl and think he's underrated. Kean will be exciting, for sure. I suspect Sidibe will be a good signing, this year's Zouma. Gbamin is perhaps the biggest unknown. Delph is the one question mark for me, but we shall see. The average age of our team will drop, so we have an eye for the future.

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Wow their comments really surprised me; seemed they genuinely liked him as a player and person.  After reading that I’m warming to the guy.

32 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Quite pleased by this signing. It's not just the player but the combination we'll have up front: young, tricky, fast. If Iwobi can gel with Richarlison, Kean, and Calvert-Lewin, we could be scoring a lot of goals this year.

In fact, now that we haven't signed Zaha (worth half the quoted price), I think we've had a good window. I'm actually a fan of Lossl and think he's underrated. Kean will be exciting, for sure. I suspect Sidibe will be a good signing, this year's Zouma. Gbamin is perhaps the biggest unknown. Delph is the one question mark for me, but we shall see. The average age of our team will drop, so we have an eye for the future.

Agreed. I also like the shrewd lossl signing