Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aaron

Iwobi

Recommended Posts

I’ll be most curious to see what his role in the team is, especially when the players he’s looking to displace (Bernard, Richarlison and Sigurdsson) have all been big signings too. 

Most of the talk I ever hear about him is that he’s more of an attacking mid that’s been forced to play out wide for most of his career. He’s supposed to be pretty intelligent with his passing compared to most wide players for instance. He could make for a more mobile alternative to Gylfi that most of us have been crying out for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Vranny said:

I’ll be most curious to see what his role in the team is, especially when the players he’s looking to displace (Bernard, Richarlison and Sigurdsson) have all been big signings too. 

Most of the talk I ever hear about him is that he’s more of an attacking mid that’s been forced to play out wide for most of his career. He’s supposed to be pretty intelligent with his passing compared to most wide players for instance. He could make for a more mobile alternative to Gylfi that most of us have been crying out for. 

the arse forum posts said they thought he should be a CM or AM, they don't consider him a winger even though he was played on the left.  apparently for nigeria he plays through the middle and has said he likes that best.  could be the young guy supposed to give gylfi some competition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vranny said:

He’s supposed to be pretty intelligent with his passing compared to most wide players for instance. 

High praise from Wenger. Wouldn't mind seeing him behind the striker as a couple on here have already said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

the arse forum posts said they thought he should be a CM or AM, they don't consider him a winger even though he was played on the left.  apparently for nigeria he plays through the middle and has said he likes that best.  could be the young guy supposed to give gylfi some competition?

This is Everton, we don't pay 40 mil for bench warmers and backups. I think Silva has something up his sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Btay said:

Why? 

He's a different kind of player. Hasn't got the ability to finish like Zaha has or make defenders as uneasy. Iwobi is great at retaining the ball and keeping possession but he's not going to create something out of nothing. 

Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability and we've really just swapped Lookman for a player of similar ability  (in my opinion, no facts to back this up), but it's cost us 20m.

Bernard does the same job as Iwobi. We needed a left footed winger and I settled on Zaha due to his pure ability that could take us to the next level. 

It was a desperate signing, much like smalling or Rojo would have been and despite it being a well thought out window before the TDD it feels like the last day spoiled it a little bit and made me question the efficency of the club slightly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Aidan said:

He's a different kind of player. Hasn't got the ability to finish like Zaha has or make defenders as uneasy. Iwobi is great at retaining the ball and keeping possession but he's not going to create something out of nothing. 

Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability and we've really just swapped Lookman for a player of similar ability  (in my opinion, no facts to back this up), but it's cost us 20m.

Bernard does the same job as Iwobi. We needed a left footed winger and I settled on Zaha due to his pure ability that could take us to the next level. 

It was a desperate signing, much like smalling or Rojo would have been and despite it being a well thought out window before the TDD it feels like the last day spoiled it a little bit and made me question the efficency of the club slightly. 

I disagree that lookman is closer to Zaha’s ability but each to their own! I really hope you end up surprised by this signing.

Zaha for 90mil would have had me really questioning the efficiency of this club though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Btay said:

I disagree that lookman is closer to Zaha’s ability but each to their own! I really hope you end up surprised by this signing.

Zaha for 90mil would have had me really questioning the efficiency of this club though.

Sorry for the confusion I mean Lookman is similar to iwobi. 

When I'm disappointed we sign an individual they usually prove me wrong and visa versa when I'm excited for a signing they usually flop 😂

Agreed though 90m would have been rediculous. They got everyone excited though didn't they?! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter H said:

This is Everton, we don't pay 40 mil for bench warmers and backups. I think Silva has something up his sleeve.

Don't think iwobi would come here to warm the bench at his age either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

He's a different kind of player. Hasn't got the ability to finish like Zaha has or make defenders as uneasy. Iwobi is great at retaining the ball and keeping possession but he's not going to create something out of nothing. 

Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability and we've really just swapped Lookman for a player of similar ability  (in my opinion, no facts to back this up), but it's cost us 20m.

Bernard does the same job as Iwobi. We needed a left footed winger and I settled on Zaha due to his pure ability that could take us to the next level. 

It was a desperate signing, much like smalling or Rojo would have been and despite it being a well thought out window before the TDD it feels like the last day spoiled it a little bit and made me question the efficency of the club slightly. 

Very much disagree. He has the trickery, strength and pace to unsettle most! I know I’m going to refer to the highlight reel here, but one thing that stood out was his ability to turn people inside out, usually by nutmegging them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with Bernard is his size for the physicality of the premier league, iwobi won’t be brushed of the ball as easily, so with iwobi we should hopefully keep the ball better in the final 3rd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mogsy said:

Problem with Bernard is his size for the physicality of the premier league, iwobi won’t be brushed of the ball as easily, so with iwobi we should hopefully keep the ball better in the final 3rd 

I haven’t really noticed that his size as caused him problems I would say quite the opposite, his low center of gravity and pace help him skin players, his biggest problem for me is his finishing it’s shit, that’s where I see Iwobi having an advantage over Bernard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vranny said:

I’ll be most curious to see what his role in the team is, especially when the players he’s looking to displace (Bernard, Richarlison and Sigurdsson) have all been big signings too. 

Most of the talk I ever hear about him is that he’s more of an attacking mid that’s been forced to play out wide for most of his career. He’s supposed to be pretty intelligent with his passing compared to most wide players for instance. He could make for a more mobile alternative to Gylfi that most of us have been crying out for. 

 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Marco in press conference says he will play on the left or can play behind the front man

What I read (and I have read a couple of different quotes about it) is that he will play on the left and cut inside behind the striker rather than being an AM. He will play like Bernard does cutting inside creating room for Digne to raid forward. Richie and Walcott are both more direct finishers in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mogsy said:

Problem with Bernard is his size for the physicality of the premier league, iwobi won’t be brushed of the ball as easily, so with iwobi we should hopefully keep the ball better in the final 3rd 

Size has never bothered Hazard, Silva, Mata, Ossie, etc. Balance, quick feet, close control can often beat bigger and stronger players. I agree they Iwobi is a lot stronger but from what I’ve seen he more often than not beats or holds off a player with skill rather than strength

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt said:

Size has never bothered Hazard, Silva, Mata, Ossie, etc. Balance, quick feet, close control can often beat bigger and stronger players. I agree they Iwobi is a lot stronger but from what I’ve seen he more often than not beats or holds off a player with skill rather than strength

Bernard is a weakling though. Tenacious and skillful but bigger lads just push him off the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sibdane said:

And hopefully Iwobi is more of a goal thread. I think Bernard has it in him, but he needs to show that he can have more end product this season.

Bernard for a hat trick tomorrow then sounds OK to me💙😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Bernard is a weakling though. Tenacious and skillful but bigger lads just push him off the ball.

Sometimes but I’ve seen him dip under and turn out of the pressure several times too. Plus he’s not afraid to get stuck in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt said:

Sometimes but I’ve seen him dip under and turn out of the pressure several times too. Plus he’s not afraid to get stuck in 

Yeh he proper battles for such a little fella. Seen “stronger” guys pushed off easier because they have no mongrel. Needs to sharpen up his finishing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Btay said:

Yeh he proper battles for such a little fella. Seen “stronger” guys pushed off easier because they have no mongrel. Needs to sharpen up his finishing though.

You're not kidding. That volley miss on an open net in one of the pre-season matches was atrocious. He probably still had time to wait for the half volley too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rubecula said:

fer gawrds sake guys  give him a fucking chance  his first game and he is as rusty as hell  and he is still being criticised 

Not even his first game, he didn’t play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StevO said:

Not even his first game, he didn’t play. 

I assume he thinks he’s in the Gbamin thread?

5 hours ago, rubecula said:

who in hell are you talking about stevo

This is the Iwobi thread Rubes? Did you get lost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StevO said:

I was talking about Iwobi, in the Iwobi thread haha

Steady on mate other people might get ideas and discuss players in the correct thread, that'd be really confusing, not the TT way at all:P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Iwobi watched that game and thought with all that possession in the oppositions half I can stamp my mark on this team, he is probably the most skill full  player we have in the team now, so drop either Bernard or Gylfi and give him the freedom of Goodison and he will destroy the Watford back line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

Lookman similar ability to Zaha....Jesus Christ 🤯

Iwobi is a better player than Lookman and has more in his locker 

Nobody said this, did they? 

As for the second paragraph, iwobi is more proven in the games he has played with his return of goals /assists, but im not sure he will be better in the long run than Lookman. 

I'm uneasy with the signing of iwobi, I felt like there were better options earlier on in the window and he was a panic buy after we realised Zaha wasn't a possibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2019 at 22:51, Aidan said:

Nobody said this, did they? 

As for the second paragraph, iwobi is more proven in the games he has played with his return of goals /assists, but im not sure he will be better in the long run than Lookman. 

I'm uneasy with the signing of iwobi, I felt like there were better options earlier on in the window and he was a panic buy after we realised Zaha wasn't a possibility. 

"Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability"

Not far off = lesser but similar 

Lookman had been given ample opportunities to prove his worth and bar the very odd flash we never saw any consistency from him, something which multiple managers would have seen in training etc 

Iwobi will prove to be a good singing especially for the money considering the market and buying from essentially a possible rival/English club 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

"Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability"

Not far off = lesser but similar 

Lookman had been given ample opportunities to prove his worth and bar the very odd flash we never saw any consistency from him, something which multiple managers would have seen in training etc 

Iwobi will prove to be a good singing especially for the money considering the market and buying from essentially a possible rival/English club 

I don’t think Lookman did get a decent go of it, he was always coming on as sub and rarely started, never consistently. Still, Iwobi is a much further developed you talent and I’m still as excited now as TDD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

"Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability"

Not far off = lesser but similar 

Lookman had been given ample opportunities to prove his worth and bar the very odd flash we never saw any consistency from him, something which multiple managers would have seen in training etc 

Iwobi will prove to be a good singing especially for the money considering the market and buying from essentially a possible rival/English club 

Do apologise I meant iwobi not Zaha. All of this could have been avoided! Zaha is head a shoulders above Lookman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Brands mentioned in his latest interview that he could provide competition for Siggy.  

as suspected he is the younger siggy replacement.  i gotta hand it to Brands, unlike previous regimes where we replaced only once they were gone for 2 years, he is doing it well in advance of needing that player so they are blooded and accustomed to our style and culture.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Finn balor said:

We paid £28 mill for Iwobi and got £20 mill for lookman give or take a few mill? I must admit I’ve not seen enough of Iwobi but he’s had a lot more premier league games and contributed more in a more successful team

i admit i didn't want Iwobi but i'm warming to him, reading the arse forum and seeing how much he's already played in the Prem and Internationally i think we could have a decent player.  very young too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...