IGNORED

American (NFL) & College (NCAA) Football

Now this is just an opinion, but..................

I would rather suck diahorhea out of a dead baboons arse than even listen to Gridiron talk.

Have you noticed the Yanks had to develop their own sports to be any good, apart from Athletics obviously. World series my arse, the only team I know of outside the USA, who play in it are the Toronto Bluejays.

ATB

Mac

I would rather suck diahorhea out of a dead baboons arse than even listen to Gridiron talk.

Have you noticed the Yanks had to develop their own sports to be any good, apart from Athletics obviously. World series my arse, the only team I know of outside the USA, who play in it are the Toronto Bluejays.

ATB

Mac

45313[/snapback]

yeh, but players from all over the world go to play there, it's like having 1 football league, where all the players go, the fact it's mostly playedi n the US, it's still compromised of world athletes ...

WORLD SERIES OWNS

let's go red sox

I was thinking more of a recent attempt by a Japanese base ball side to gain entry to the league which would allow them to qualify for the "World Series of Baseball", the powers that be were sore afraid that the treasured and revered "trophy" would leave the US of A, so they put the kybosh on it.

The USA have been very precious of what they consider a sport, I refer you to an interview with that "legendary" actor Christian Slater.

"where do you guys get off calling it the World Cup (refering to the recent debacle in Germany), no-one watches that girls game". He then preceeded to draw an analogy between American soccer moms and The FIFA World Cup. The WC drew TV crowds of BILLIONS, not millions. Spunk stain (him, not you Mike).

This is in no way a dig Mike, but I do question the American way of life that slates that which they are no good at.

ATB

Mac

ATB

Mac

45313[/snapback]

Can I just say that was a superb comment Mac, I could'nt have but it better myself, I was about to type I would rather pluc my arse hairs out using chopsticks but yours was just as good if not better.

Nothing agaisnt people who like it, but myself I fuckin hate the sport and any other sport that Americans conjure up to make themselves feel important. Its a stupid game for stupid people.

(NO OFFENSE TO ANY AMERICANS OR PEOPLE WHO LIKE AMERICANS OR THEIR SPORTS, ITS JUST THAT I DON'T LIKE THEM)

Ian, I respect the right of any man, woman or child to follow the sport of their choice, but Ice Hockey, Basketball, Gridiron and Serial killers are not what I would base a culture on.

This is in no way a slur on the many Americans whom I know and love, just on the way the USA see themselves in the world. By all means we all love your burgers, hotdogs and such, but please, the world has enjoyed Association Football for over 145 years, just don't piss on our national game or we will do the same to yours.

ATB

Mac

ATB

Mac

45313[/snapback]

like the budwieser advert

american panelist 1: hey brad, just found out that there are OTHER COUNTRIES in this word cup

Brad: we have to learn them and fast

lol, i understand what you are saying, but baseball is an american sport, it is their oldest sport, and it has the prestige, i used to feel the same way, but i do liek the sport, and i've grown to realise how many people from all over the wolrd play there, the japanese league is sort of like a championship or serie b, at best ... pretty much ALL good players will go to an american side. it's kind of like a champions league in a way

although it would be nice to see all countried play, and it's starting to get popular in other countries, but the US do have games with the likes of the Dominican Republic (extremely good at baseball), and there is talks about comign to england for games i nthe future, and they've set up camps and stuff in european countries to try and get more peopel into it.

football is different really, everyone plays it, it's much more global, you couldn't really have a world cup of baseball because let's face it, there would only be like 2 or 3 teams in it, so it's going to stay as it is. it's an american sport, and anyone good enough goes to america basically.

it mighn't have competing nations on a scale of like the world cup, but it has competing nations within the teams, it's very much free to anyoen to go and play if you're up to it, so in my opinion...just to call it the world series is just because as in the world cup, the best players from all nations across the world compete for the ultimate prize....

but as i say, i understand your opinion, this is just mine

lol, i understand what you are saying, but baseball is an american sport, it is their oldest sport, and it has the prestige, i used to feel the same way, but i do liek the sport, and i've grown to realise how many people from all over the wolrd play there, the japanese league is sort of like a championship or serie b, at best ... pretty much ALL good players will go to an american side. it's kind of like a champions league in a way

although it would be nice to see all countried play, and it's starting to get popular in other countries, but the US do have games with the likes of the Dominican Republic (extremely good at baseball), and there is talks about comign to england for games i nthe future, and they've set up camps and stuff in european countries to try and get more peopel into it.

football is different really, everyone plays it, it's much more global, you couldn't really have a world cup of baseball because let's face it, there would only be like 2 or 3 teams in it, so it's going to stay as it is. it's an american sport, and anyone good enough goes to america basically. 

it mighn't have competing nations on a scale of like the world cup, but it has competing nations within the teams, it's very much free to anyoen to go and play if you're up to it, so in my opinion...just to call it the world series is just because as in the world cup, the best players from all nations across the world compete for the ultimate prize....

45507[/snapback]

I heard that about it coming to England, cricket clubs have been talking about letting them use cricket grounds. I think the Oval was one of them.

yeh, possibly for an all star game, at least at first .... i'd kill to go to an all star game

not sure how much itnerest there would be tbh, if it was an all star game i can imagine a LOT of americans coming over lol ... not sure if a cricket ground would hold enough, maybe the mlb will inject some money into it

actualyl speaking of the mlb, my fantasy team needs a tweaking :D

Edited by CraccerC

• 11 years later...
26 minutes ago, MikeO said:

OK so a thread that's been dead for more than eleven years but what the hell:P.

Good story this.

Happy for them that they made it. Made me curious about how long the Browns had been out of the play-off picture (0-16 this year) and was surprised they made it in 2003. I actually thought the Browns had the longest post-season drought.

49 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

Happy for them that they made it. Made me curious about how long the Browns had been out of the play-off picture (0-16 this year) and was surprised they made it in 2003. I actually thought the Browns had the longest post-season drought.

i watched the games all weekend because my dad is a football fanatic.  i was rooting for the bengals the whole time so the bills would go, great fans, they deserve it (even though they will get stomped by the jags).

as far as the browns, we went 10-6 in 2007 (?) but missed the playoffs because the ravens and bengals were also 10-6 or better and they had the tie breaker.  it was crazy, on the NFC side there was a team with a 8-8 that made it to the playoffs.  So technically we should have made it then too.  But we are now the laughing stock of the NFL.  well deserved.  the 0-16 parade is next weekend, i'm debating going to tell the owners a big fat FUCK YOU for being so shit.

On 15/08/2006 at 22:24, CraccerC said:

The mention of baseball reminded me.  When I was about ten or twelve years old, my grandfather took me and my brother to Goodison Park to watch a baseball game.  Can't remember who the teams were.I was bored out of my skull and the only thing I remember is an old guy who was stood on the terrace about 10 yards in front of us, got hit on the head by the ball.  Knocked him out.  Decided right there that baseball was a no, no. That would be about 1946/47.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

they looked unstoppable with him, i was bummed he went down, great qb

Yup, I think they had a great chance to win with him. Just can't see it with Foles but, who knows, a filthy cold day at the Linc could even things up. Philly's D is as good as anyone's. 

Green Bay is my team too, was a nice coincidence when picking a team, started when my cousin told me to pick a team when we was going to America so I randomly chose Green Bay, turned out their QB has the same name and birthday as me and that season they went on to win the Superb Owl. Since then they have done fuck all mind.

1 hour ago, aaron said:

Green Bay is my team too, was a nice coincidence when picking a team, started when my cousin told me to pick a team when we was going to America so I randomly chose Green Bay, turned out their QB has the same name and birthday as me and that season they went on to win the Superb Owl. Since then they have done fuck all mind.

They were playing well this season but then Rodgers broke his collarbone, and it was downhill from there. Rodgers is a class above!