IGNORED

American (NFL) & College (NCAA) Football

I'm guessing from American members reactions that this is a bit of a ManU v Arsenal FA Cup final situation equivalent; nobody in England gives a stuff (ManU & Arse fans aside) but there's big interest Worldwide.

Not overly happy to be a "fan" of that type of club but as I've said before I started with the Patriots 32 years ago so I'm no bandwagon jumper.

36 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm guessing from American members reactions that this is a bit of a ManU v Arsenal FA Cup final situation equivalent; nobody in England gives a stuff (ManU & Arse fans aside) but there's big interest Worldwide.

Not overly happy to be a "fan" of that type of club but as I've said before I started with the Patriots 32 years ago so I'm no bandwagon jumper.

i'd say this is more of a Man U and West Ham or Leicester type match.  Eagles have never won the super bowl, been to it before but lost (in the 80s).  Anyone else wanna have a try at guessing what the matchup is like?

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'd say this is more of a Man U and West Ham or Leicester type match.  Eagles have never won the super bowl, been to it before but lost (in the 80s).  Anyone else wanna have a try at guessing what the matchup is like?

I'd agree with the West Ham shout. Not necessarily a bad team, but their fans think they're better than they really are and historically haven't won much.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:53, markjazzbassist said:

Eagles have never won the super bowl, been to it before but lost (in the 80s).  Anyone else wanna have a try at guessing what the matchup is like?

Eagles were last at the Super Bowl in 2005. Lost to the Patriots 24-21, so a bit of payback is in order, hopefully. Pundits appear to be giving them a bit of respect now. Defence always wins championships, as we know, so they do have a shot, but I would prefer them coming in with the underdog's collar round their neck. Go Eagles! 

On 1/26/2018 at 08:26, Formby said:

Eagles were last at the Super Bowl in 2005. Lost to the Patriots 24-21, so a bit of payback is in order, hopefully. Pundits appear to be giving them a bit of respect now. Defence always wins championships, as we know, so they do have a shot, but I would prefer them coming in with the underdog's collar round their neck. Go Eagles! 

It is a shame that they lost their QB Carson Wentz because I think they’d have a much better shot at winning. Foles is an OK game manager, but Wentz can run and has a cannon for an arm.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

That game was decided by a phantom holding call and a non-call on what should have been defensive pass interference. The Patriots are the Liverpool of the NFL Mike.

i didn't watch the game but this is why i am so against VAR.  NFL has had it FOR YEARS and still routinely gets it wrong and messes up MAJOR games with it.  look at the saints game massive blown calls at the end against them that threw the game.   No VAR and keep the human element of mistake in the game. 

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i didn't watch the game but this is why i am so against VAR.  NFL has had it FOR YEARS and still routinely gets it wrong and messes up MAJOR games with it.  look at the saints game massive blown calls at the end against them that threw the game.   No VAR and keep the human element of mistake in the game. 

You could argue that if they would have used VAR in the Saints game then there wouldn't be so much controversy. The call was missed without any review whatsoever.

2 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

That game was decided by a phantom holding call and a non-call on what should have been defensive pass interference. The Patriots are the Liverpool of the NFL Mike.

I don't care:P. Mentioned it before but I'm no "bandwagon jumper" because I started supporting them in SB XX where they were destroyed by Chicago and I had a few yank mates at the time so engaged with it. They are who they are and I'm who I am, some things can't be helped!

8 minutes ago, sibdane said:

You could argue that if they would have used VAR in the Saints game then there wouldn't be so much controversy. The call was missed without any review whatsoever.

that's the issue though, per the NFL rules if there is no penalty on the play, it is not reviewable.  so even though they missed a massive call, per the rules they could do nothing about it.  Which is the same with VAR.  so you have the replay, but you can't right the wrongs.  so why have the replay?  that's my issue with it.  either its all or nothing for me.

1 hour ago, Haiku said:

Not an American sport, but what is played on the highest level in America - Basketball. Just a brilliant sport. Any other American sport I've seen is dull. I don't mind NFL that much, but MLB is horrendously boring.

Basketball was invented in America and the best league and players are in America, so I’d say it definitely qualifies as an American sport.

Baseball is pretty boring; I’ll hand it to you. No more or less boring than cricket, though.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I don't care:P. Mentioned it before but I'm no "bandwagon jumper" because I started supporting them in SB XX where they were destroyed by Chicago and I had a few yank mates at the time so engaged with it. They are who they are and I'm who I am, some things can't be helped!

Ha fair enough. I’m happy to hate them based on the fact that their owner and QB are Trump supporters, but I hate them for so many more reasons including league favoritism. That said, Bill Belichick is the greatest football coach of all time, and I hate him for it.