• Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Richarlison
    • Jean-Philippe Gbamin
    • Moise Kean
    • Tom Davies

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Like it says, we're off again!

too right we are off the pace  off target  and we stank so much in front of goal  we stank as much as stale fish that had gone off  

why?  well I can only surmise it is due to the name.... Everton  we start badly every season these days  at least we don't always get beaten :(  as far as Mot M  goes  not many there today  can have much hope of getting my vote  apart perhaps from Pickford. :(

5 minutes ago, rubecula said:

too right we are off the pace  off target  and we stank so much in front of goal  we stank as much as stale fish that had gone off  

why?  well I can only surmise it is due to the name.... Everton  we start badly every season these days  at least we don't always get beaten :(  as far as Mot M  goes  not many there today  can have much hope of getting my vote  apart perhaps from Pickford. :(

Thought anyone of the back 5 were solid!

4 minutes ago, rubecula said:

The manager for me. Hodgson knew exactly what to expect and set up for a draw and got it without too many scares. 4411 playing mostly down the wings, it didn't work a couple of months ago so I don't see how Martinez MK2 thought the same tactics would work only a couple of months later. 

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

The manager for me. Hodgson knew exactly what to expect and set up for a draw and got it without too many scares. 4411 playing mostly down the wings, it didn't work a couple of months ago so I don't see how Martinez MK2 thought the same tactics would work only a couple of months later. 

Good to see you’re kicking off the season with the same dubious form as the club ;) 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Good to see you’re kicking off the season with the same dubious form as the club ;) 

You think Silva got it right tactically and with his subs? 

He done the same thing last time and it never worked, people questioned Martinez for doing the same thing and expecting different results. Don't see why Silva is devoid of criticism. 

3 shots on target, 2 corners, goalkeeper motm and and two defensive midfielders on the pitch at the same time. This isn't good enough. 

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You think Silva got it right tactically and with his subs? 

He done the same thing last time and it never worked, people questioned Martinez for doing the same thing and expecting different results. Don't see why Silva is devoid of criticism. 

3 shots on target, 2 corners, goalkeeper motm and and two defensive midfielders on the pitch at the same time. This isn't good enough. 

I didn’t get to see the game mate, I was more referring to your post structure, hence the ;) 

36 minutes ago, StevO said:

We had three shots on target, it’s not Marco’s fault that none of them went in. 

From what I saw we cut them open quite well until Gomes went off, just didn’t finish the chances. 

I think Pete is in for a long hard miserable season, the rest of us will enjoy it though. 

I agree, there was only one winner when Gomes was on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I didn’t get to see the game mate, I was more referring to your post structure, hence the ;) 

Ah missed the emoji. With hindsight you were lucky to miss it. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We had three shots on target, it’s not Marco’s fault that none of them went in. 

From what I saw we cut them open quite well until Gomes went off, just didn’t finish the chances. 

I think Pete is in for a long hard miserable season, the rest of us will enjoy it though. 

What chances did we cut open? The Gylfi one was from a poor decision/clearance from their centre back. Other than that Palace had the better chances. 

The managers tactics only mustered three shots on target, and they don't create enough clear chances. Kean didn't even get a touch in the final third. 

It'll turn at some point just as it did with Martinez. No way will Marco get away with this all season, he either changes it up or will come under pressure. This squad is good enough to get top 4, biggest question is if Silva is good enough to guide them there. 

The Gylfi one was from DCL challenging for the ball. Defender did well to stop him.

Clearance off the line again was from good attacking play from DCL keeping the ball alive and Digne putting a good ball back in.

then there was Coleman’s effort from about five yards that was well saved.

Then there was a clever corner that Richarlison hit on target and it was a lucky block.

Then there was Richarlisons effort that whistled past the post. 

Then there was DCLs header that missed that far post.

there was also a lot of the ball in their penalty area, that although didn’t end in a shot on target, was very dangerous play from us.

But no.... we didn't create anything 🤪

30 minutes ago, StevO said:

I can’t imagine the pain and torment you must go though every day with all this hate and negativity. It must be really hard work. 

No hate, and I don't see it as negativity. Constructive criticism and well justified. You might enjoy watching Everton win the possession stat but I'd rather see us create some chances and use players to their strengths and maybe even get three points against a very poor Palace side. Tbh even if we got beat yesterday I'd be less bothered if Silva had tried something different, if there was signs he was trying to find a solution to the problems like breaking down defensive teams, getting Sigurdssen more involved, creating better chances. I didn't see any tweaks to the system to justify why this tactic would work when it never last time. Yesterday was embarrassing, our manager got his number read by Hodgson for the second time in a row. 

Many on here have said about DCL leading the line against lower defensive teams doesn't work so I doubt the minority is as small as you think it is when it comes to Silva serving up the same dish every week. 

26 minutes ago, Shukes said:

The Gylfi one was from DCL challenging for the ball. Defender did well to stop him.

Clearance off the line again was from good attacking play from DCL keeping the ball alive and Digne putting a good ball back in.

then there was Coleman’s effort from about five yards that was well saved.

Then there was a clever corner that Richarlison hit on target and it was a lucky block.

Then there was Richarlisons effort that whistled past the post. 

Then there was DCLs header that missed that far post.

there was also a lot of the ball in their penalty area, that although didn’t end in a shot on target, was very dangerous play from us.

But no.... we didn't create anything 🤪

The Sigurdssen one was a poor header, if it was our defender giving a chance away like that I'd be worried. The rest are half chances at best with the next best one being Richarlison free shot from outside the area but how many goals get scored from outside the box, that chance come from a ricochet rather than tactical creativity.  As for shots in the area we had one more than Palace did. 

Couldn’t possibly disagree more. 

You see when City or Liverpool struggle to break a team down, they keep going and going, and will often score late. If you have a tactic that is getting you through time and time again, like it was yesterday but we didn’t beat the keeper, why would you do something else. If we were doing it but not making chances then change, the problem wasn’t the tactic. The tactic was working, we broke them down as listed by Shukes above, our players didn’t finish them off. That’s on them.

Palace are a team that are well drilled and solid at the back. They deserve credit for that. Hodgeson may not be a top level manager, but he’s no mug.