Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

Carabao Cup

4 hours ago, barryj said:

Don’t do it to yourself you’ll find yourself trying to explain your point over and over! I got sucked in yesterday 🤣

I'd made it clear in my previous post that success and size aren't the same. But crack on. Still waiting for your response but hey ho.

Clearly, neither Crystal Palace nor Norwich view this cup as particularly important.

Re relative priorities, here's my list:

1. Finishing first in the Premier League
  2. Finishing second in the Premier League
  3. Finishing third in the Premier League
  4. Finishing fourth in the Premier League
  5. Finishing fifth in the Premier League
  6. Finishing sixth in the Premier League
  7. Finishing seventh in the Premier League
  8. Finishing eighth in the Premier League
  9. Finishing ninth in the Premier League
  10. Finishing tenth in the Premier League
  11. Winning the FA Cup
  12. Finishing eleventh in the Premier League
  13. Finishing twelfth in the Premier League
  14. Finishing thirteenth in the Premier League
  15. Finishing fourteenth in the Premier League
  16. Finishing fifteenth in the Premier League
  17. Finishing sixteenth in the Premier League
  18. Finishing seventeenth in the Premier League
  19. Winning the Caraboa Cup

PS - Winning the FA Cup is a bit of a concession since the prize money is less than finishing 19th in the league - but it does carry some prestige. The prestige associated with winning the Caraboa Cup is the cube root of zero. Who wants to waste time playing Bradford or Burton in a semifinal?

Sorry - I made my point earlier and had intended to say no more, but since others posted their priority list, I felt I ought to do the same.

40 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Clearly, neither Crystal Palace nor Norwich view this cup as particularly important.

Re relative priorities, here's my list:

1. Finishing first in the Premier League
  2. Finishing second in the Premier League
  3. Finishing third in the Premier League
  4. Finishing fourth in the Premier League
  5. Finishing fifth in the Premier League
  6. Finishing sixth in the Premier League
  7. Finishing seventh in the Premier League
  8. Finishing eighth in the Premier League
  9. Finishing ninth in the Premier League
  10. Finishing tenth in the Premier League
  11. Winning the FA Cup
  12. Finishing eleventh in the Premier League
  13. Finishing twelfth in the Premier League
  14. Finishing thirteenth in the Premier League
  15. Finishing fourteenth in the Premier League
  16. Finishing fifteenth in the Premier League
  17. Finishing sixteenth in the Premier League
  18. Finishing seventeenth in the Premier League
  19. Winning the Caraboa Cup

PS - Winning the FA Cup is a bit of a concession since the prize money is less than finishing 19th in the league - but it does carry some prestige. The prestige associated with winning the Caraboa Cup is the cube root of zero. Who wants to waste time playing Bradford or Burton in a semifinal?

Sorry - I made my point earlier and had intended to say no more, but since others posted their priority list, I felt I ought to do the same.

Totally bizarre if I hadn’t seen it I wouldn’t have believed it, I’m caught between half believing you mean it and half believing you’re  having a laugh, honestly don’t know what to think. 

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

1. Win the league.

2. Win any other trophy.

3. Qualify for the Champions League.

4. Quality for the Europa Cup.

5. Finish as high up the league as possible.

100% this

We have already gone 25 years without a trophy, that’s generations of Evertonians who haven’t seen us win anything

If our manager has the same attitude as Cornish we aren’t going to win anything for the next 25 years either

Im sure he is just taking the piss to over emphasise his point but preferring a top 10 finish ahead of winning the FA Cup is the type of accepting mediocrity attitude we need to rid the club and its supporter of

Indeed what a load of shite!

does anyone care about the difference in league positions outside of the top 6? Not really.  But a good cup run and even better winning it is the kind of thing that fans bother to turn up for .

I want to see us playing a final and lifting a trophy.  I’ve seen us finish between 4th and 17th all my life but unfortunately can only remember one trophy and being at that final was a darn sight more exciting than a lot of the league games I’ve seen of which no one will remember a year later.

the example of Burton and Bradford is also one off bollocks.  Our last league cup semi final we lost to Man City.  Didn’t we also lose one to the shite as well? 

id happily play Burton in the semi final if it got us a final anyway. You insinuating that it’s a Micky mouse cup won by lesser teams which is completely wrong.  15 of the last 30 finalists have been from the big 6 and only 1 has featured none of them.  Success is what those teams aspire to on all fronts and so should we

City start taking the tournament serious around the quarters. Hopefully they get a tough draw early on and give us a chance. To be able to see my son see us lift a trophy would be unreal. Once we get the taste back for trophies who knows what can happen? If we get a bad draw we get a bad draw but let’s go for it. I want to be excited for a quarter final or a semi. What would people rather? No game and we are out? Lunacy 

51 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

City start taking the tournament serious around the quarters. Hopefully they get a tough draw early on and give us a chance. To be able to see my son see us lift a trophy would be unreal. Once we get the taste back for trophies who knows what can happen? If we get a bad draw we get a bad draw but let’s go for it. I want to be excited for a quarter final or a semi. What would people rather? No game and we are out? Lunacy 

My lad was born in 1996, epic bad timing! His four big sisters have no interest in football at all despite my best efforts.

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

My lad was born in 1996, epic bad timing! His four big sisters have no interest in football at all despite my best efforts.

So it’s your fault?! :shakingfist:

10 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

But you got a lad at your fifth effort Mike!

One for one in truth, the girls aren't biologically mine but their dad's dead (little lamented) so I'm what they've been stuck with for twenty-five years odd. Don't think they have any complaints though.

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

i'll take it.  they need to focus on staying up in the premier league, i don't expect them to take this seriously.  very happy with it.

Wednesday, not United.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'll take it.  they need to focus on staying up in the premier league, i don't expect them to take this seriously.  very happy with it.

That's Sheffield United mate, Wednesday are in the Championship.

I will take it though, they've been a mixed bag in the lower leagues and will probably have one eye on the race for the playoffs, even though it's still early doors. We could have had a lot worse and even though it's away we should really be winning it comfortably. 

Apparently Pickford was gutted we didn't draw Sunderland 😂!

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

Wednesday, not United.

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

That's Sheffield United mate, Wednesday are in the Championship.

LOL.  what a terrible name BTW.  i still think it's a good draw they need to concentrate on promotion not the cup.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Horrible draw, away to a good championship team. Looks like if we get anywhere in this cup.... we’re doing it the hard way!

We seem to have done worse at home in this competition in recent years - losing to Norwich and Southampton at Goodison stand-out. It may help being away and hopefully just go through under the radar.

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

We seem to have done worse at home in this competition in recent years - losing to Norwich and Southampton at Goodison stand-out. It may help being away and hopefully just go through under the radar.

Hope so mate. 

On 28/08/2019 at 22:17, markjazzbassist said:

LOL.  what a terrible name BTW.  i still think it's a good draw they need to concentrate on promotion not the cup.

Did you think Wednesday was the day we played them 😀

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Did you think Wednesday was the day we played them 😀

i just think names with days of the week in them is stupid.  it's not 1895 anymore, just call yourself sheff city or sheff u or sheff athletic or olympic sheff or real sheffield or something.  sheff wednesday?  what next london thursday?

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just think names with days of the week in them is stupid.  it's not 1895 anymore, just call yourself sheff city or sheff u or sheff athletic or olympic sheff or real sheffield or something.  sheff wednesday?  what next london thursday?

I quite like the history of the teams, and why they got their names particularly their nicknames. 

In the same way as your sports, how did Cincinnati get the name the Bengals I could google it but just wondered if you had a more interesting take on it. 

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s history mate. What if your family had a silly name? What if your name was Mark Bender, because someone in your family hundreds of years ago bent things, would you change your name? (I actually work with a woman who has a pretty silly name, feel sorry for her)

I’m pretty sure they are called Wednesday because they played on Wednesdays a long time ago. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

It’s history mate. What if your family had a silly name? What if your name was Mark Bender, because someone in your family hundreds of years ago bent things, would you change your name? (I actually work with a woman who has a pretty silly name, feel sorry for her)

I’m pretty sure they are called Wednesday because they played on Wednesdays a long time ago. 

That’s correct mate just asked Mark Bender 😀

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

That’s correct mate just asked Mark Bender 😀

I was actually Christened Mike Drunk and Disorderly-Lascivious Behaviour so changed it by Deed Poll, though the birth name proved to be fairly fitting as it turned out:unsure:.

On 30/08/2019 at 20:25, markjazzbassist said:

You (as being American) can talk as the American soccer teams have some interesting second names 🤣

Galaxy, Dynamo, Timbers, Rapids, Sounders etc

21 minutes ago, barryj said:

You (as being American) can talk as the American soccer teams have some interesting second names 🤣

Yeah American sports names are bad too. I just like the City name, the mascots are kinda dumb in my opinion.  

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah American sports names are bad too. I just like the City name, the mascots are kinda dumb in my opinion.  

A local high school near us is named after condoms: the Trojans.

As others have mentioned, history is important. If it weren't, the Everton crest would be quite different and we'd no longer be the Toffees. We pride ourselves on our club's history, and Sheffield Wednesday are no different. (As a team, they're actually quite a few years older than Everton.) For many decades, their stadium has been used to host international matches.

On 28/08/2019 at 11:19, FairWooney said:

does anyone care about the difference in league positions outside of the top 6?

The club's accountant?

Here's the 2018/2019 Premier League prize money:

#1: 38m
#2: 36.1m
#3: 34.2m
#4: 32.3m
#5: 30.4m
#6: 28.5m
#7: 26.6m
#8: 24.7m
#18: 5.7m
#19: 3.8m
#20: 1.9m

Winners of the Carabao Cup: 0.1m

To put this in context, winning the Carabao Cup wouldn't cover the weekly salary of Bernard... or Mina or Gomes or Pickford or Schneiderlin or Sigurdsson or even Walcott.

Let me be clear: I have absolutely nothing against winning! Of course I'd like to see us win a cup. BUT... there's no way I'd want the effects of a long Carabao Cup run to interfere with our progress in the Premier. While offset by added gate takings and TV money, dropping even one position in the league would cost us financially. Our priority must be to win the Premier League, and that's where our focus should be.

Yeah, actually Sheffield is the birthplace of football, with Wednesday probably the oldest competitive club in the world nowadays. They got my respect and I think their nickname is pretty cool too.

42 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The club's accountant?

To put this in context, winning the Carabao Cup wouldn't cover the weekly salary of Bernard... or Mina or Gomes or Pickford or Schneiderlin or Sigurdsson or even Walcott.

Let me be clear: I have absolutely nothing against winning! Of course I'd like to see us win a cup. BUT... there's no way I'd want the effects of a long Carabao Cup run to interfere with our progress in the Premier. While offset by added gate takings and TV money, dropping even one position in the league would cost us financially. Our priority must be to win the Premier League, and that's where our focus should be.

Plus gate receipts, tv money, a route into Europe ........& winning a competition we never have in our history and breaking a 25 year trophy drought.

57 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Our priority must be to win the Premier League, and that's where our focus should be.

We can’t win the league. 

We can win the league cup. 

Fuck the money. Nothing to do with supporters of a premier league club that. 

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Besides the animal names, lions tigers bears eagles and such, most are some geographic reference to the area. Galaxy - LA/Hollywood stars, Portland Timbers - Oregon is heavily forested and timber is big business in the area, Seattle Sounders - Seattle sits right on the coast of the Seattle Sound. Pittsburgh Steelers - being an old steel town.

Green Bay is a neat one tho, they asked a local meat packing company to help the when uniforms and some money in the early 1900's, and they became the Packers. There probably isn't a lake anywhere near Los Angeles, but the Lakers kept the nickname when they moved from Minnesota "Land of 10,000 lakes"

Houston Dynamo...no clue!

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We can’t win the league. 

Leicester won the league, why can't we? Fuck that. We need to build positive momentum and turn that into permanent confidence, which in turn will raise our reputation in the football world. We need to be competitive, and challenge with the best for the best. I want what Tottenham and Liverpool have in recent years. Haven't won much, excluding Liverpool  success in the CL, but both clubs are always in the mix for winning every competition. We don't need to be a one hit wonder Leicester was. Their league title means nothing in the long run. Winning the league cup and finishing 8th in the league again will not make me happy. I would rather like to finish in top6, then top4 and stay there for long enough to realise we are a good team that everybody takes seriously and that titles are deservedly within our reach.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

We can’t win the league. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right."
Leicester believed it, and they were right. We should, too. There's no reason at all why we couldn't win the league - none. But doing it once is not enough: We must build a lasting legacy - a decade at least of being a Top Four club.

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

Leicester won the league, why can't we? Fuck that. We need to build positive momentum and turn that into permanent confidence, which in turn will raise our reputation in the football world. We need to be competitive, and challenge with the best for the best. I want what Tottenham and Liverpool have in recent years. Haven't won much, excluding Liverpool  success in the CL, but both clubs are always in the mix for winning every competition. We don't need to be a one hit wonder Leicester was. Their league title means nothing in the long run. Winning the league cup and finishing 8th in the league again will not make me happy. I would rather like to finish in top6, then top4 and stay there for long enough to realise we are a good team that everybody takes seriously and that titles are deservedly within our reach.

I agree completely, and this has been my point all along. If winning the Carabao Cup costs us two places, and we finish 8th instead of 6th, I'd be very disappointed - almost angry. 6th is two places above 8th, where we were last season. After that, 4th would be success, followed by 2nd. Build a legacy, and don't allow anything at all to distract us - especially not a cup of very little value.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The club's accountant?

We should scrap the new ground, sell Goodison and move into the Echo Arena. Then sell all the players ,get rid of the manager and his back room staff and buy Novak Djokovic and  enter him in to next years Wimbledon

£34M prize money and huge reduction in overheads, plus fat more likely to actually achieve it

Everton vs Watford

Aston Villa vs Wolves

Manchester City vs Southampton

Burton vs Leicester

Crawley vs Colchester

Chelsea vs Manchester United

Oxford vs Sunderland

Liverpool vs Arsenal

COYB this is the year.  Shite Arse and United Chelsea will be nice to knock more PL teams off.  Who knows maybe Soton finds a way against City.  I love the home draw with watford.

Liverpool v Arsenal will probably be second teams but hopefully arsenal might bring a few big guns up front with the shite  looking at the league. These early games are crucial. I’m not worried about united or Chelsea we will give them a game. It’s just city.  They should win everything really 

51 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

4 PL teams were dropped.  Man U and Wolves both scraped by on pens.

It's more fair to say that 4 PL B teams were dropped. We are about the only PL team that's fielded an A-team. So maybe it will be Burton in the final after all. :)

Think Liverpool will play the kids and the likes of Lallana, Milner. The longer they get in the comp they will see a trophy. I’m hoping arsenal take it more serious and win. I’m not worried about anyone else apart from city. Their squad is just stupid. However we have to beat Watford