IGNORED

Carabao Cup

MikeO

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just think names with days of the week in them is stupid.  it's not 1895 anymore, just call yourself sheff city or sheff u or sheff athletic or olympic sheff or real sheffield or something.  sheff wednesday?  what next london thursday?

I quite like the history of the teams, and why they got their names particularly their nicknames. 

In the same way as your sports, how did Cincinnati get the name the Bengals I could google it but just wondered if you had a more interesting take on it. 

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just think names with days of the week in them is stupid.  it's not 1895 anymore, just call yourself sheff city or sheff u or sheff athletic or olympic sheff or real sheffield or something.  sheff wednesday?  what next london thursday?

It’s history mate. What if your family had a silly name? What if your name was Mark Bender, because someone in your family hundreds of years ago bent things, would you change your name? (I actually work with a woman who has a pretty silly name, feel sorry for her)

I’m pretty sure they are called Wednesday because they played on Wednesdays a long time ago. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

It’s history mate. What if your family had a silly name? What if your name was Mark Bender, because someone in your family hundreds of years ago bent things, would you change your name? (I actually work with a woman who has a pretty silly name, feel sorry for her)

I’m pretty sure they are called Wednesday because they played on Wednesdays a long time ago. 

That’s correct mate just asked Mark Bender 😀

On 30/08/2019 at 20:25, markjazzbassist said:

You (as being American) can talk as the American soccer teams have some interesting second names 🤣

Galaxy, Dynamo, Timbers, Rapids, Sounders etc

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah American sports names are bad too. I just like the City name, the mascots are kinda dumb in my opinion.  

A local high school near us is named after condoms: the Trojans.

As others have mentioned, history is important. If it weren't, the Everton crest would be quite different and we'd no longer be the Toffees. We pride ourselves on our club's history, and Sheffield Wednesday are no different. (As a team, they're actually quite a few years older than Everton.) For many decades, their stadium has been used to host international matches.

On 28/08/2019 at 11:19, FairWooney said:

does anyone care about the difference in league positions outside of the top 6?

The club's accountant?

Here's the 2018/2019 Premier League prize money:

#1: 38m
#2: 36.1m
#3: 34.2m
#4: 32.3m
#5: 30.4m
#6: 28.5m
#7: 26.6m
#8: 24.7m
#18: 5.7m
#19: 3.8m
#20: 1.9m

Winners of the Carabao Cup: 0.1m

To put this in context, winning the Carabao Cup wouldn't cover the weekly salary of Bernard... or Mina or Gomes or Pickford or Schneiderlin or Sigurdsson or even Walcott.

Let me be clear: I have absolutely nothing against winning! Of course I'd like to see us win a cup. BUT... there's no way I'd want the effects of a long Carabao Cup run to interfere with our progress in the Premier. While offset by added gate takings and TV money, dropping even one position in the league would cost us financially. Our priority must be to win the Premier League, and that's where our focus should be.

42 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The club's accountant?

To put this in context, winning the Carabao Cup wouldn't cover the weekly salary of Bernard... or Mina or Gomes or Pickford or Schneiderlin or Sigurdsson or even Walcott.

Let me be clear: I have absolutely nothing against winning! Of course I'd like to see us win a cup. BUT... there's no way I'd want the effects of a long Carabao Cup run to interfere with our progress in the Premier. While offset by added gate takings and TV money, dropping even one position in the league would cost us financially. Our priority must be to win the Premier League, and that's where our focus should be.

Plus gate receipts, tv money, a route into Europe ........& winning a competition we never have in our history and breaking a 25 year trophy drought.

6 hours ago, barryj said:

You (as being American) can talk as the American soccer teams have some interesting second names 🤣

Galaxy, Dynamo, Timbers, Rapids, Sounders etc

Besides the animal names, lions tigers bears eagles and such, most are some geographic reference to the area. Galaxy - LA/Hollywood stars, Portland Timbers - Oregon is heavily forested and timber is big business in the area, Seattle Sounders - Seattle sits right on the coast of the Seattle Sound. Pittsburgh Steelers - being an old steel town.

Green Bay is a neat one tho, they asked a local meat packing company to help the when uniforms and some money in the early 1900's, and they became the Packers. There probably isn't a lake anywhere near Los Angeles, but the Lakers kept the nickname when they moved from Minnesota "Land of 10,000 lakes"

Houston Dynamo...no clue!

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We can’t win the league. 

We can win the league cup. 

Fuck the money. Nothing to do with supporters of a premier league club that. 

Leicester won the league, why can't we? Fuck that. We need to build positive momentum and turn that into permanent confidence, which in turn will raise our reputation in the football world. We need to be competitive, and challenge with the best for the best. I want what Tottenham and Liverpool have in recent years. Haven't won much, excluding Liverpool  success in the CL, but both clubs are always in the mix for winning every competition. We don't need to be a one hit wonder Leicester was. Their league title means nothing in the long run. Winning the league cup and finishing 8th in the league again will not make me happy. I would rather like to finish in top6, then top4 and stay there for long enough to realise we are a good team that everybody takes seriously and that titles are deservedly within our reach.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

We can’t win the league. 

We can win the league cup. 

Fuck the money. Nothing to do with supporters of a premier league club that. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right."
Leicester believed it, and they were right. We should, too. There's no reason at all why we couldn't win the league - none. But doing it once is not enough: We must build a lasting legacy - a decade at least of being a Top Four club.

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

Leicester won the league, why can't we? Fuck that. We need to build positive momentum and turn that into permanent confidence, which in turn will raise our reputation in the football world. We need to be competitive, and challenge with the best for the best. I want what Tottenham and Liverpool have in recent years. Haven't won much, excluding Liverpool  success in the CL, but both clubs are always in the mix for winning every competition. We don't need to be a one hit wonder Leicester was. Their league title means nothing in the long run. Winning the league cup and finishing 8th in the league again will not make me happy. I would rather like to finish in top6, then top4 and stay there for long enough to realise we are a good team that everybody takes seriously and that titles are deservedly within our reach.

I agree completely, and this has been my point all along. If winning the Carabao Cup costs us two places, and we finish 8th instead of 6th, I'd be very disappointed - almost angry. 6th is two places above 8th, where we were last season. After that, 4th would be success, followed by 2nd. Build a legacy, and don't allow anything at all to distract us - especially not a cup of very little value.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The club's accountant?

We should scrap the new ground, sell Goodison and move into the Echo Arena. Then sell all the players ,get rid of the manager and his back room staff and buy Novak Djokovic and  enter him in to next years Wimbledon

£34M prize money and huge reduction in overheads, plus fat more likely to actually achieve it

• 4 weeks later...

Everton vs Watford

Aston Villa vs Wolves

Manchester City vs Southampton

Burton vs Leicester

Crawley vs Colchester

Chelsea vs Manchester United

Oxford vs Sunderland

Liverpool vs Arsenal

COYB this is the year.  Shite Arse and United Chelsea will be nice to knock more PL teams off.  Who knows maybe Soton finds a way against City.  I love the home draw with watford.