IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Friday August 23rd

markjazzbassist

Short week for this one, they don't have a win in the league yet and will be home, they will be hungry.  Good news is they are lacking quality and we are the better side.  Against these lower teams we need 3 points, the away draw is fine and all but if we are trying to be ambitious it needs to be 3 points.  Digne a doubftul due to the hamstring, luckily we have Baines.  I'd still stick with DCL but i would make Kean my first sub and give him a solid 30 minutes of playing time to see what he can do.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Baines

Gomes Gbamin

Richarlison  Gylfi Bernard

DCL

I'd like to see Iwobi for 30 minutes for one of the wingers--whichever one is least effective. If Baines still isn't healthy enough and Digne out, then Coleman at LB and the lad we got on load from PSG at RB. For me DCL needs to show a lot more than he has so far. I like DCL a lot--the effort is there with him but as a striker he's got to score.

Villa are decent, unlucky against spurs. Mcginn is a really good player and they have a big unit upfront so hopefully Mina will have his numbers. The one thing about villa is they concede a lot of goals. Even when promoted last year they conceded lots. Think there will be goals and the incentive is there to go into the weekend top of the league. I expect baines in for digne if it’s his hamstring. I would start kean. I think his cameo on Saturday shows  teams won’t know how to deal with him yet. I’d also put gilfi on the bench and put Iwobi there or swap Bernard to the centre. 1-3 baines, kean double 

Same team that started against Watford.

Hopefully no injuries or reds so we can get Kean/Iwobi and Delph into the game depending on situations of course.

If Gylfi isn’t firing I’d pull him off at half time for Iwobi even. DCL needs to sniff out more chances but it’s hard as this not much coming from behind him.

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Hi everyone, back after a long break from the forums (not just this one).

Looking forward to this game and will be hoping for another clean sheet. I think it's vital that our early form consists of a mean defence. It sends the message out that opponents will be lucky to get any points at all against us and gives us a platform to build on.

I'm not bothered at all about the performances just yet, with players being brought in and getting used to each other. Just get that 1-0 victory and keep the points flowing and eventually the performances will come.

I was wondering where you went. That profile picture is hard to forget!

52 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Really looking forward to the match tommorow. Been reading the villa forums and most villa fans would take a point. Mcginn and grealish are the danger men. I’m confident of a win 

I'm confident of a win, but it'll be tough away from home. We need to stamp our authority on the table and show our intentions. Hopefully we go out there to hurt them. 

Just going to cut 'n' paste what I wrote on another forum:

Not keen on the Friday evening kickoff if I'm honest, but really looking forward to the game. I like Aston Villa, and this is a good old fashioned fixture between two traditional clubs who both have a rich footballing history.

It's early in the season and Villa are a bit of an unknown quantity, having just been promoted, so I just hope we can do the business and come away with all three points, and not get caught off guard.

Apparently, if we keep a clean sheet on Friday, it will be the first time since the 1912/13 season that we have not conceded a goal in our first three fixtures. Spurs 2-0, Boro 0-0, and Notts County 4-0. Mind you, I believe Villa went on to win the FA Cup and came runners up in the League that season; with us finishing 11th, one place above Liverpool.

20 hours ago, Aidan said:

Is Digne out for this game? 

From the Echo:

Everton boss Marco Silva has confirmed Lucas Digne is fit and available for his side's trip to face Aston Villa on Friday.

There were initially some doubts over the availability of the defender after he was withdrawn in the second half against Watford last weekend.

However, the French international trained with the rest of the squad this week and the manager has confirmed he will be up for selection as the Blues travel to the Midlands on Friday evening.

Leighton Baines, who hasn't featured for Everton yet this season, is also available after recovering from a thigh issue. "

38 minutes ago, Heath said:

Yes... yes I admit it... I've been seeing another forum. It was all innocent enough at first... you know... I would just look. But then I found myself wanting more, and I thought "one little post will be fine, no one needs to know". Before I knew it I was out of control posting about players, score predictions, and even started using emojis. I'm so disappointed in myself 😞

Confession is good for the soul, you're forgiven, we'll say no more about it.

Don't let it happen again though:shakingfist: