IGNORED

Lincoln (Carabao Cup Away) Wednesday August 28th

markjazzbassist

Friday match, Wednesday Match, Sunday Match.  3 days between each one, we should be fine.  I expect some rotation with some of the newer players getting some time.  We could rest our whole starting XI and i'd still be confident, for the first time in a while we have some real quality in depth.

Lossl

Sidibe Keane Mina Baines

Davies Morgan

Walcott Iwobi Bernard

Kean

Lincoln are smashing it. Two consecutive play offs and three wins out of three in league one. They aren’t mugs and their management team would like us on their cv. 

Pickford 

coleman   Keane   Holgate    Baines

Morgan davies 

walcott         Gilfi.         Iwobi 

DCl 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Friday match, Wednesday Match, Sunday Match.  3 days between each one, we should be fine.  I expect some rotation with some of the newer players getting some time.  We could rest our whole starting XI and i'd still be confident, for the first time in a while we have some real quality in depth.

Lossl

Sidibe Keane Mina Baines

Davies Morgan

Walcott Iwobi Bernard

Kean

I hope your wrong far too many changes, I would like us to do well in this competition so I would want a 1st choice team out there not a mash up just to give people game time. 

I'd like to see: 

Pickford

Sidibe Keane Mina Baines 

Davies Gbamin Gomes 

Richarlison Kean Iwobi

I have previously argued the need for backup keepers to play games but I don't overly trust Lossl and Pickford has already shown this season that he can be the difference between winning and losing. 

I wouldn't be against starting Coleman at RB (or LB if needed) but he is the most likely player to need a break throughout the season given his position and age.

Siggy can come out. Gbamin needs games and I would expect Davies to come in. The question is over Gomes but then having 2 holding midfielders against Lincoln seems excessive. It would be a good game for Delph to replace Gomes if he is ever going to be fit. 

Richarlison still needs games to get up to speed, Kean deserves a start and Iwobi also needs to start playing some games. 

On the bench I would like to see Adeniran, Tosun, and maybe Gordon. If we are comfortable then the young lads can come in and if Kean is struggling then Tosun can do the business.

19 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Lincoln are smashing it. Two consecutive play offs and three wins out of three in league one. They aren’t mugs and their management team would like us on their cv. 

First time they've been at the top of the third tier since 1983 having won League 2 last season plus lifelong Evertonian chairman, they'll be well up for this!

48 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

They are still 2 divisions below us.  This should be a win regardless.

You colonials will never "get" the concept of the very regular cup upsets over here I don't think because your top level sport is all self contained so the big guys never come up against "lesser" teams.

Lincoln are on a high and it's 11v11 in their back yard; I'd call it 50/50, no "should" about it.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

You colonials will never "get" the concept of the very regular cup upsets over here I don't think because your top level sport is all self contained so the big guys never come up against "lesser" teams.

Lincoln are on a high and it's 11v11 in their back yard; I'd call it 50/50, no "should" about it.

Oh I get it and I love it but the difference in quality is massive and my point is our team is way better on paper.  The only thing to let us down is belief and end product.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Oh I get it and I love it but the difference in quality is massive and my point is our team is way better on paper.  The only thing to let us down is belief and end product.

Paper counts for nothing in these games! It will be a scrap and all the pressure is on us - no one expects Lincoln to win. 

I’d rather a “lower” premier league team away than a lower division league team away. 

Sidibe & Baines in for defence.

Davies and Gbamin with Bernard - Iwobi - Richarlison behind Kean for me.

On 18/08/2019 at 22:44, markjazzbassist said:

Not if we don’t play a strong team. Throwing new signings together with second string players is almost asking for a disaster. I was at the FA cup game last season and their fans were superb and it was a really tough game and I think we’d all agree they were unlucky not to of got anything out of it. 

A strong side is required for this game. 

On 18/08/2019 at 14:18, MikeO said:

Does Lincoln City have a single player that would make our bench? These can be tough games for a variety of reasons but it's absurd to say it's 50/50. If you really believe that then I've got quite a large wager I'd like to propose.

On 18/08/2019 at 13:18, MikeO said:

I usually explain the Cup competitions, especially the FA Cup to my confused compatriots as being similar to the NCAA Basketball Tournament  - March Madness. For those not familiar it's a 64 team (college) basketball tournament at the end of the year that includes the best 40-50 teams and another an15-20 that only qualify from winning other tournaments, played over about 3 weeks. They are put in 4 groups/regions, seeded best to "worst" 1-16 where 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so on, knockout/single game style. The winner of each 16 team regional advance to the Final 4, then championship. An "8" seed has won it once, never a 9-16, it's set up for the best teams to advance. But every year some unfancied "Cinderella" 15 beats a 2, or a 12 beats a 5, then a 4 etc which is like a Newport County knocking Leicester City.

So most colonials  do "get" the giant-killings, especially if they follow March Madness.  But you are correct in that our professional sports have no possible scenario for lesser/lower teams to even play, let alone beat the big boys. Only baseball even HAS a "lower divisions", but they are more analogous to U-23 and U-18 teams, not lower divisions. We simply have no professional equivalents. 

You don't want to be a proud part of a smaller team's history......

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

A fair few need dropping for this game! 

Yes, on the basis of our toothlessness, it’s hard to say we have an effective first 11.  Surely Kean and Iwobi would be no downgrade.  Nor Davies and Gbamin.  Holgate for Keane.  Give Coleman and Digne a rest.

Lössl

Sidibé   Holgate   Mina   Baines

Gbamin

Walcott           Davies         Iwobi

Kean         Tosun

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Even more nervous now. Play our best team. Win. Move on. 

We’ve been mostly mediocre through 3 matches.  I think there’s near-unanimity about our best back 4 (though a few might want Holgate to replace Keane for this match).  Beyond that, not much consensus on TT as to the other 6.  I’ll guess most will want to see Iwobi and Kean start, possibly Davies.