IGNORED

Wolverhampton (Home) Sunday September 1st

markjazzbassist

Stating the obvious - 1 goal against Palace, Watford and Villa is just terrible.  Don't take this the wrong way as I like Marco, however my concern has gone from 1/10 to 3/10. We'er still not sure exactly what he wants. He's always talking about 4-3-3 but it always looks 4-2-3-1. Perhaps it's just the way he describes it but to me those are very different formations. Right now Andre is sitting deeper with the holding mid (god it sucks to see Morgan out there) and Siggy pushes higher up toward the striker.

The way i see it Marco is slowly trying to create a system similar to City. One very clearly defined holding mid (Fernandinho/Gundogan/Rodri), two ball playing CMs (D Silva/De Bruyne/B Silva/Foden), 2 wingers (Sterling/Sane/Mahrez) and 1 CF (Aguero/Jesus). City's midfield balance is only achievable because their defense is organized. It's been great to see Marco focus there first. Build from the back and so far it's been encouraging. Keane made a mistake against Villa, that's going to happen occasionally - they were good otherwise and we're the only team to have two clean sheets through 3 games. 

So with that said here's what i think Marco is trying to create:

Fernandinho/Gundogan/Rodri - Delph, Gbamin, Morgan

D Silva/De Bruyne/B Silva/Foden - Andre, Siggy, Davies

Sterling/Sane/Mahrez - Richarlison, Bernard, Iwobi, Walcott

Aguero/G Jesus - Kean, DCL

Based on the info we have Marco views Delph as a no.6. The question mark for now is does Marco view Iwobi as a winger or no. 10?

Long term what happens when Delph and Gbamin are both fit...is there any chance Andre moves slightly higher up the field and we see Gbamin/Delph/Andre in midfield?

Not to get too far ahead as there's an entire season to play but if you hit Marco with some truth serum I would expect next summer we focus on a dynamic, big-money move for Siggy's replacement - if, as I suspect, Marco thinks Iwobi is a winger. 

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. LOTS OF THOUGHTS SINCE THAT TRAINWRECK AGAINST VILLA. 

Until we have a proper ball winner in the middle I'd be inclined to pack that area and sacrifice a little width, at least without the ball.  We have two CBs who are excellent in the air, but maybe not the quickest on the turn, so generally speaking, I'd prefer we surrender a few more crosses if we can exchange that for denying them space in the gaps to find through balls.

Who does that mean without Gbamin available?  I think one of the central midfielders needs to have the mobility and energy to plug holes and be available to cover.  The combination of Gomes and Morgan can't do that (at least not alone).  It would be good to see Delph put in at least a few minutes (20-25) against Lincoln to prove his fitness.  If he can then I'd like him in the middle:

Delph Gomes Davies

If Delph isn't fit then I think I'd go a little less flat with the midfiled:

------Gomes --- Morgan ------

-----------Davies -----------------

In front of either of those I think it will depend on what we see at Lincoln as to who stakes a claim.

15 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I wondered who would say that 🤔. I don’t hate DCl I like him for his graft I just don’t think he should be starting 

Honestly, if he's not starting there shouldn't be a reason to have him here at all. If you've got a striker coming off the bench it's because you want them capable of grabbing a goal. Bringing DCL on would be tantamount to settling.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly, if he's not starting there shouldn't be a reason to have him here at all. If you've got a striker coming off the bench it's because you want them capable of grabbing a goal. Bringing DCL on would be tantamount to settling.

Yeah if Kean establishes himself it makes more sense to loan DCL in winter and have tosun be the second striker off the bench.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

This is a good point. I don't see his purpose in him coming off the bench if he can't find a way to score when we're down.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I get what you mean to some extent but if your two nil up and coasting and need a pair of fresh legs up top then he’s ideal 

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I get what you mean to some extent but if your two nil up and coasting and need a pair of fresh legs up top then he’s ideal 

25 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'll take that!

I won't; I thought the TT lesson on your vs you're had been learned yesterday, someone at the back of the class wasn't paying attention it seems:majoroverreactionalert:. Going for a cold bath.

9 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I don't dare wade in and correct grammar even though I've got English at GCE and A' level!!!!

Ah the good old days of GCE's, where you had to do more than spell your name right to get a passing grade! I contemplated doing English at A level but it was all literature based and I preferred the "language" version so took the unusual route of Economics and Technical Drawing (just the two A levels because I had to do a number of retakes on the O levels I failed:unsure:). Then got "invited to leave" after a few months because I only ever went to TD, it was the only thing I was ever any good at:(.

Well this is another game that, dare I say it, we would be expected to win. Unfortunately I don't think we will win (damn, 3 'W' words in a row. That'll mess with my mental instabilities) if I'm honest. Not sure why, but I just don't feel that confident about us winning games at the moment. Although it might have something to do with us only scoring one league goal in three games so far 😃

Going with DCL upfront simply because if things aren't going our way goal scoring wise, I can still look at the bench and think; "All is not lost, we still have Kean to come on." as opposed to "Crap, all we have is DCL and Tosun on the bench." Gone for Schneiderlin in midfield simply because I think it may be a bit too soon to give Delph a full run out. Give him the last 30 minutes, all being well(ish).

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Schneiderlin Gomes

Richarlison Gylfi Bernard

DCL

A draw away would be a good result at home we should expect to beat most teams and that’s the mindset the squad have to have.

Pickford 

coleman.     Keane.    Mina.     God

Delph.    Gomes 

charly.            Iwobi.         bernie

Kean 

wolves I think normally play a back five. They play some good football in the midfield but have nobody with blistering pace until Traore comes on. At home id like us to go and smash teams. Clean sheets are great but at the end of the day it’s who scores more goals than the other. Maybe a bit to attacking but you don’t know if you don’t try it 

4 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

A draw away would be a good result at home we should expect to beat most teams and that’s the mindset the squad have to have.

Pickford 

Delph.    Gomes 

Kean 

wolves I think normally play a back five. They play some good football in the midfield but have nobody with blistering pace until Traore comes on. At home id like us to go and smash teams. Clean sheets are great but at the end of the day it’s who scores more goals than the other. Maybe a bit to attacking but you don’t know if you don’t try it 

Haha well done Finn. Love the LB...

I'm in favor of any starting XI that doesn't include Morgan. 

6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Pickford 

Delph.    Gomes 

Kean 

This for me.

All 3 behind Keane to Swap as they please as well. 

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Pickford 

Delph.    Gomes 

Kean 

Nice team let’s hope we see it!