Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Wolverhampton (Home) Sunday September 1st

Recommended Posts

I rate Jimenez and they have a good squad.  This will be a tough match, let’s hope the lads are up for it.

 

                  Pickford

coleman keane Mina digne

                Gomes davies

Richarlison gylfi bernard

                    Kean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

           Gomes  Morgan  Delph 

           Iwobi     Kean    Bernard 

Damn you think DCL is that bad you would rather play with six players! I mean I get that you don’t rate him... but come on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stating the obvious - 1 goal against Palace, Watford and Villa is just terrible.  Don't take this the wrong way as I like Marco, however my concern has gone from 1/10 to 3/10. We'er still not sure exactly what he wants. He's always talking about 4-3-3 but it always looks 4-2-3-1. Perhaps it's just the way he describes it but to me those are very different formations. Right now Andre is sitting deeper with the holding mid (god it sucks to see Morgan out there) and Siggy pushes higher up toward the striker.

The way i see it Marco is slowly trying to create a system similar to City. One very clearly defined holding mid (Fernandinho/Gundogan/Rodri), two ball playing CMs (D Silva/De Bruyne/B Silva/Foden), 2 wingers (Sterling/Sane/Mahrez) and 1 CF (Aguero/Jesus). City's midfield balance is only achievable because their defense is organized. It's been great to see Marco focus there first. Build from the back and so far it's been encouraging. Keane made a mistake against Villa, that's going to happen occasionally - they were good otherwise and we're the only team to have two clean sheets through 3 games. 

So with that said here's what i think Marco is trying to create:

Fernandinho/Gundogan/Rodri - Delph, Gbamin, Morgan

D Silva/De Bruyne/B Silva/Foden - Andre, Siggy, Davies

Sterling/Sane/Mahrez - Richarlison, Bernard, Iwobi, Walcott

Aguero/G Jesus - Kean, DCL

Based on the info we have Marco views Delph as a no.6. The question mark for now is does Marco view Iwobi as a winger or no. 10?

Long term what happens when Delph and Gbamin are both fit...is there any chance Andre moves slightly higher up the field and we see Gbamin/Delph/Andre in midfield?

Not to get too far ahead as there's an entire season to play but if you hit Marco with some truth serum I would expect next summer we focus on a dynamic, big-money move for Siggy's replacement - if, as I suspect, Marco thinks Iwobi is a winger. 

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. LOTS OF THOUGHTS SINCE THAT TRAINWRECK AGAINST VILLA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Finn balor said:

           Gomes  Morgan  Delph 

           Iwobi     Kean    Bernard 

I like the 4-3-3 but I’d even move Delph central and have Gylfi/Davies I’m that spot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until we have a proper ball winner in the middle I'd be inclined to pack that area and sacrifice a little width, at least without the ball.  We have two CBs who are excellent in the air, but maybe not the quickest on the turn, so generally speaking, I'd prefer we surrender a few more crosses if we can exchange that for denying them space in the gaps to find through balls.

Who does that mean without Gbamin available?  I think one of the central midfielders needs to have the mobility and energy to plug holes and be available to cover.  The combination of Gomes and Morgan can't do that (at least not alone).  It would be good to see Delph put in at least a few minutes (20-25) against Lincoln to prove his fitness.  If he can then I'd like him in the middle:

 

Delph Gomes Davies

 

If Delph isn't fit then I think I'd go a little less flat with the midfiled:

 

------Gomes --- Morgan ------

-----------Davies -----------------

 

In front of either of those I think it will depend on what we see at Lincoln as to who stakes a claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I wondered who would say that 🤔. I don’t hate DCl I like him for his graft I just don’t think he should be starting 

Honestly, if he's not starting there shouldn't be a reason to have him here at all. If you've got a striker coming off the bench it's because you want them capable of grabbing a goal. Bringing DCL on would be tantamount to settling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly, if he's not starting there shouldn't be a reason to have him here at all. If you've got a striker coming off the bench it's because you want them capable of grabbing a goal. Bringing DCL on would be tantamount to settling.

Yeah if Kean establishes himself it makes more sense to loan DCL in winter and have tosun be the second striker off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly, if he's not starting there shouldn't be a reason to have him here at all. If you've got a striker coming off the bench it's because you want them capable of grabbing a goal. Bringing DCL on would be tantamount to settling.

This is a good point. I don't see his purpose in him coming off the bench if he can't find a way to score when we're down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly, if he's not starting there shouldn't be a reason to have him here at all. If you've got a striker coming off the bench it's because you want them capable of grabbing a goal. Bringing DCL on would be tantamount to settling.

I get what you mean to some extent but if your two nil up and coasting and need a pair of fresh legs up top then he’s ideal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I get what you mean to some extent but if your two nil up and coasting and need a pair of fresh legs up top then he’s ideal 

 

25 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'll take that!

I won't; I thought the TT lesson on your vs you're had been learned yesterday, someone at the back of the class wasn't paying attention it seems:majoroverreactionalert:. Going for a cold bath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I don't dare wade in and correct grammar even though I've got English at GCE and A' level!!!!

Ah the good old days of GCE's, where you had to do more than spell your name right to get a passing grade! I contemplated doing English at A level but it was all literature based and I preferred the "language" version so took the unusual route of Economics and Technical Drawing (just the two A levels because I had to do a number of retakes on the O levels I failed:unsure:). Then got "invited to leave" after a few months because I only ever went to TD, it was the only thing I was ever any good at:(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well this is another game that, dare I say it, we would be expected to win. Unfortunately I don't think we will win (damn, 3 'W' words in a row. That'll mess with my mental instabilities) if I'm honest. Not sure why, but I just don't feel that confident about us winning games at the moment. Although it might have something to do with us only scoring one league goal in three games so far 😃

Going with DCL upfront simply because if things aren't going our way goal scoring wise, I can still look at the bench and think; "All is not lost, we still have Kean to come on." as opposed to "Crap, all we have is DCL and Tosun on the bench." Gone for Schneiderlin in midfield simply because I think it may be a bit too soon to give Delph a full run out. Give him the last 30 minutes, all being well(ish).

 

  Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

      Schneiderlin Gomes

 Richarlison Gylfi Bernard

        DCL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A draw away would be a good result at home we should expect to beat most teams and that’s the mindset the squad have to have.

                        Pickford 

coleman.     Keane.    Mina.     God

               Delph.    Gomes 

charly.            Iwobi.         bernie

                       Kean 

wolves I think normally play a back five. They play some good football in the midfield but have nobody with blistering pace until Traore comes on. At home id like us to go and smash teams. Clean sheets are great but at the end of the day it’s who scores more goals than the other. Maybe a bit to attacking but you don’t know if you don’t try it 

      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

A draw away would be a good result at home we should expect to beat most teams and that’s the mindset the squad have to have.

                        Pickford 

coleman.     Keane.    Mina.     God

               Delph.    Gomes 

charly.            Iwobi.         bernie

                       Kean 

wolves I think normally play a back five. They play some good football in the midfield but have nobody with blistering pace until Traore comes on. At home id like us to go and smash teams. Clean sheets are great but at the end of the day it’s who scores more goals than the other. Maybe a bit to attacking but you don’t know if you don’t try it 

      

Haha well done Finn. Love the LB...

I'm in favor of any starting XI that doesn't include Morgan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

A draw away would be a good result at home we should expect to beat most teams and that’s the mindset the squad have to have.

                        Pickford 

coleman.     Keane.    Mina.     God

               Delph.    Gomes 

charly.            Iwobi.         bernie

                       Kean 

wolves I think normally play a back five. They play some good football in the midfield but have nobody with blistering pace until Traore comes on. At home id like us to go and smash teams. Clean sheets are great but at the end of the day it’s who scores more goals than the other. Maybe a bit to attacking but you don’t know if you don’t try it 

      

This for me.

All 3 behind Keane to Swap as they please as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

A draw away would be a good result at home we should expect to beat most teams and that’s the mindset the squad have to have.

                        Pickford 

coleman.     Keane.    Mina.     God

               Delph.    Gomes 

charly.            Iwobi.         bernie

                       Kean 

wolves I think normally play a back five. They play some good football in the midfield but have nobody with blistering pace until Traore comes on. At home id like us to go and smash teams. Clean sheets are great but at the end of the day it’s who scores more goals than the other. Maybe a bit to attacking but you don’t know if you don’t try it 

      

Nice team let’s hope we see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, London Blue said:

My first match at Goodison this season!

Hope to see Kean and Iwobi start, with Bernard and Richarlison up front and Siggy on the bench.

COYB!

I’m hoping that Kean and Iwobi start but I’d still be happy with Siggy as the No.10 as he was a little better against Lincoln second half. Do you get up to many games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how long they keep the entrances open after the start of a game, were due to land back from holiday at LPL airport at 12 tomorrow which if all goes to plan will work out fine, but if there's any delay it could mean we arrive after kick off, we've got our tickets with us, TIA  ( also posted in travel and tickets section )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Shukes where you getting your tickets from 

I joined a supporters club mate.

Mid Wales Everton Supporters Club. Great guys. And they offer tickets out all the time. Already had a ticket for Watford, wolves and put in interest for Sheff Utd and Man City. 

Great bunch of guys. Look them up on FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, barryj said:

I’m hoping that Kean and Iwobi start but I’d still be happy with Siggy as the No.10 as he was a little better against Lincoln second half. Do you get up to many games? 

About 4 or 5 a year, combining trips to see the family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I joined a supporters club mate.

Mid Wales Everton Supporters Club. Great guys. And they offer tickets out all the time. Already had a ticket for Watford, wolves and put in interest for Sheff Utd and Man City. 

Great bunch of guys. Look them up on FB.

But they're Welsh, if you can deal with that fair enough:otvwhistle:.

Westcountry Blues down here are great also and I've used them many times, but I prefer membership privileges and DIY trips personally given the option; don't like to be held to a bus timetable. Was an ESCLA (London) member for many years back in the day, they were very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I joined a supporters club mate.

Mid Wales Everton Supporters Club. Great guys. And they offer tickets out all the time. Already had a ticket for Watford, wolves and put in interest for Sheff Utd and Man City. 

Great bunch of guys. Look them up on FB.

Right I thought you lived in Telford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Right I thought you lived in Telford. 

I do mate haha.

Thats the lengths I go to, just to see the game. Drive to Oswestry, and jump on the coach. Get dropped off at a pub while they sort tickets out, then just jump back on coach at end of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I do mate haha.

Thats the lengths I go to, just to see the game. Drive to Oswestry, and jump on the coach. Get dropped off at a pub while they sort tickets out, then just jump back on coach at end of the game.

It must be interesting on the coach with your Black Country accent and there Welsh accents, how do you manage to communicate😀

Oswestry isn’t to far from you luckily and it’s on the way do they start from there or just pick you up from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A win and we go above Chelsea and united here and one if Arsenal and Spurs, maybe both if they draw and we get a decent goal margin. 

Just goes to show there is still time to take advantage of weakened teams outside the top 2 of the league. 

We've got a nice run here to gain momentum before we play City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Aidan said:

A win and we go above Chelsea and united here and one if Arsenal and Spurs, maybe both if they draw and we get a decent goal margin. 

Just goes to show there is still time to take advantage of weakened teams outside the top 2 of the league. 

We've got a nice run here to gain momentum before we play City. 

Exactly, need to start building points and keep amongst the top group now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeO said:

But they're Welsh, if you can deal with that fair enough:otvwhistle:.

Westcountry Blues down here are great also and I've used them many times, but I prefer membership privileges and DIY trips personally given the option; don't like to be held to a bus timetable. Was an ESCLA (London) member for many years back in the day, they were very good.

 

I was an ESCLA member too Mike, in the mid 90's when I was around 15 & Pat Slavin was organising things. My Dad used to drop me off at Watford junction & I'd pick the train up from there.

I'm tempted to join again as I haven't been to Goodison for years - getting married & having a young child  put paid to that for a bit unfortunately!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Palfy said:

It must be interesting on the coach with your Black Country accent and there Welsh accents, how do you manage to communicate😀

Oswestry isn’t to far from you luckily and it’s on the way do they start from there or just pick you up from there. 

Just pick me up on the way mate. They start a couple of hours earlier picking others up through wales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Just pick me up on the way mate. They start a couple of hours earlier picking others up through wales.

Fair play to them, that’s passion to do that every other week or so. 

Have a great day and bring us a bit of luck, you never know you could end up being TT lucky charm if we win this one as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Best laid plans and all that, have gone wrong, flight from LPL to Palma delayed, we’re now due to land at 13.51 at LPL, hopefully will catch 2nd half if all stays as is

Hope you get there for the second half mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aidan said:

A win and we go above Chelsea and united here and one if Arsenal and Spurs, maybe both if they draw and we get a decent goal margin. 

Just goes to show there is still time to take advantage of weakened teams outside the top 2 of the league. 

We've got a nice run here to gain momentum before we play City. 

Still time :lol: Aidan, we're about to play our 4th game of the season, not our 34th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Still time :lol: Aidan, we're about to play our 4th game of the season, not our 34th.

But the psychological affect on those other teams starts now. If we can be in and around the top 5 when we go to play Chelsea, United, spurs and win, it could have a monumentous impact on the season as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Johnsy said:

I was an ESCLA member too Mike, in the mid 90's when I was around 15 & Pat Slavin was organising things.

I'd moved down to the West Country by then, I was a member in the eighties, can't remember the name of the guy who ran it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aidan said:

But the psychological affect on those other teams starts now. If we can be in and around the top 5 when we go to play Chelsea, United, spurs and win, it could have a monumentous impact on the season as a whole. 

I can’t believe Im saying this so early on but this feels like a big  game that will either get us looking up or looking down afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barryj said:

I can’t believe is saying this so early on but this feels like a big  game that will either get us looking up or looking down 

The games against Wolves, Leicester and Man United are going to be massive this season if we're going to finish in the top six.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...