IGNORED

Burnley (Away) Saturday October 5th

markjazzbassist

They will have to unpark their bus due to being at home.  I would play a strong lineup and hope for the best, we should be getting points from teams like this.  Give Gylfi a rest and see what iwobi in the middle can do.  I'd go with this

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Gomes Delph

Richarlison Iwobi Bernard

DCL

We know how Burnley play so there should be no surprises there. They pretty much by pass the midfield so I wouldn’t play Morgan and Delph. 

Pickford 

coleman.      Keane.   Mina.       Digne 

Morgan

Charly.        Bernie.    Iwobi

Kean.     DCl 

I disagree a lot with Finn above. They might go route one but they mop up the 2nd balls. You could probably through a beach towel over their strikers, wingers, and central midfields because they play very narrow and try and steamroll right through the middle. If we want to win this game we have to match them centrally and not allow ourselves to be counter attacked. This game is another game where you need a true DM just to sit in front of Barnes and Wood and stop them getting the ball down and keeping possession. Keane is a mouse so we are going to need a spare man to help him out, we cant leave him 1 v 1 with their attackers. We then need our other two midfielders to match and stop their two picking up the loose ball. If our midfield dominates those second ball situations we should be able to play through their midfield whilst they are in transition, especially with the quality players we have up front. If we win that battle, we can win the game but I suspect we will see the normal shape.

When looking at the forward players I would look for those with the most quality rather than athleticism because the lion share of the game will be us trying to break them down. Its a game for Tosun or Kean, and whilst part of me would be tempted to start with Bernard and Iwobi wide, Richarlison is arguably our biggest threat and cant be left on the bench at the moment.

37 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I disagree a lot with Finn above. They might go route one but they mop up the 2nd balls. You could probably through a beach towel over their strikers, wingers, and central midfields because they play very narrow and try and steamroll right through the middle. If we want to win this game we have to match them centrally and not allow ourselves to be counter attacked. This game is another game where you need a true DM just to sit in front of Barnes and Wood and stop them getting the ball down and keeping possession. Keane is a mouse so we are going to need a spare man to help him out, we cant leave him 1 v 1 with their attackers. We then need our other two midfielders to match and stop their two picking up the loose ball. If our midfield dominates those second ball situations we should be able to play through their midfield whilst they are in transition, especially with the quality players we have up front. If we win that battle, we can win the game but I suspect we will see the normal shape.

When looking at the forward players I would look for those with the most quality rather than athleticism because the lion share of the game will be us trying to break them down. Its a game for Tosun or Kean, and whilst part of me would be tempted to start with Bernard and Iwobi wide, Richarlison is arguably our biggest threat and cant be left on the bench at the moment.

That’s a detailed synopsis of how Burnley play. They obviously win a lot of second balls because that’s how they play. You basically want to set up our whole team to counter the least counter attacking team in the league? Westwood, cork and Hendricks hardly scream to me they are going to open us up. They will try and get 1 on 1 especially on Keane but I would rather us concentrate on ourselves not pick a team just to stop Burnley. 

21 hours ago, Finn balor said:

That’s a detailed synopsis of how Burnley play. They obviously win a lot of second balls because that’s how they play. You basically want to set up our whole team to counter the least counter attacking team in the league? Westwood, cork and Hendricks hardly scream to me they are going to open us up. They will try and get 1 on 1 especially on Keane but I would rather us concentrate on ourselves not pick a team just to stop Burnley. 

They will have a go at us. They are at home, their fans will be up for it and if you don't deal with that threat, any team will concede. Against Norwich they had 41% possession but managed 13 shots and won 2-0. They had more players in the opposition half throughout the game than Norwich did. They won't play through us, they will try and bustle and bully their way through us. 

It's not about counter attacking either, it's about negating their threat. If we stop them picking up second balls, we will have more possession and that's why I talk about playing the more creative players because I would expect us to dominate and we need guile to pick them off.

On 29/09/2019 at 15:07, Finn balor said:

We know how Burnley play so there should be no surprises there. They pretty much by pass the midfield so I wouldn’t play Morgan and Delph. 

Pickford 

coleman.      Keane.   Mina.       Digne 

Morgan

Charly.        Bernie.    Iwobi

Kean.     DCl 

I’d switch Bernard and Iwobi but otherwise I’d be made up to see that. Never going to happen though 

Pickford

coleman      Keane      Mina        Digne

Davies      Morgan     Delph

Kean               DCL            Richarlison 

Davies for Gomes when fit

Morgan played well against city but eventually want Gbamin in there. 

Don’t take my opinion read the opinions of his performances on match day posts and what the sports journalist wrote or scored him, and are we talking about the same player at PSG who you call a worldie. 

Be honest did you watch JPG play because I did and he struggled with the pace of the game getting caught constantly on the ball turning into trouble poor passing he had an absolute mare it was a tough introduction, what did you like about his performances before he was injured? 

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes i watched JPG and i like him.  same things i liked about gana, he's looking to intercept and break up play.  i don't need him to be the finished article yet, i saw enough to see he will be good given time.  

What about when Schneiderlin does it? 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You didn’t miss much he was well off the pace of the premier league. 

Was a bit off the pace, gave it away a few times but nothing really that wasn’t to be expected. Big powerful player who looks good on the ball. 

I just want to see us really lock down the midfield and I’m excited to see a 3 man midfield of Gomes Gbamin Delph to do that 

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

What about when Schneiderlin does it? 

schneiderlin is a lot slower so he's worse at intercepting the ball and breaking up play.  not to mention he can only pass 5 yards sideways, JPG showed he can pass the ball forwards and isn't afraid to (he's not Pirlo, but he's not morgan).  JPG isn't afraid to run with the ball at his feet, Morgan treats it like hot potato the minute it touches him he is frantic to get rid of it.  completely different players.  i see JPG more box to box with the skill set of gana but going forward more.  morgan sits back as a third CB half the time, he wouldn't dare get near the 18 yard box.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

schneiderlin is a lot slower so he's worse at intercepting the ball and breaking up play.  not to mention he can only pass 5 yards sideways, JPG showed he can pass the ball forwards and isn't afraid to (he's not Pirlo, but he's not morgan).  JPG isn't afraid to run with the ball at his feet, Morgan treats it like hot potato the minute it touches him he is frantic to get rid of it.  completely different players.  i see JPG more box to box with the skill set of gana but going forward more.  morgan sits back as a third CB half the time, he wouldn't dare get near the 18 yard box.

To be fair, I thought Morgan started to move the ball nicely in his last game or 2. Played a few diagonal balls. Prior to that I thought he was hiding from it a bit and not helping his CM partner out on the ball.

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He might be slower but the rest hasn't been true this season. I do hope that JPG is far better but we have seen barely anything from him and one of those performances in particular was a car crash. His one whole EPL game he finished with less than 68% passing accuracy and found 1 from 6 long balls. I would be surprised if JPG plays box to box given he was touted as a CB. I'm expecting him to be the 6 that Silva talked about shortly after he joined.  

Futhermore Morgan played higher up the pitch than Delph against City, and alongside him against Sheffield Utd.

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He might be slower but the rest hasn't been true this season. I do hope that JPG is far better but we have seen barely anything from him and one of those performances in particular was a car crash. His one whole EPL game he finished with less than 68% passing accuracy and found 1 from 6 long balls. I would be surprised if JPG plays box to box given he was touted as a CB. I'm expecting him to be the 6 that Silva talked about shortly after he joined.  

Futhermore Morgan played higher up the pitch than Delph against City, and alongside him against Sheffield Utd.

I’d love to know what game it was he played in where he made these runs passes and tackles, because I must have missed that one.

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’d love to know what game it was he played in where he made these runs passes and tackles, because I must have missed that one.

I think it's a combination of new player optimism and not wanting the same old shite again! 

If I remember rightly he looked very solid in the first half of that Watford games but when the wheels fell off in the second so did his.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think it's a combination of new player optimism and not wanting the same old shite again! 

If I remember rightly he looked very solid in the first half of that Watford games but when the wheels fell off in the second so did his.

And I’m sure if he stays fit and gets use to the speed and hustle of the premier league  he will be a better asset than Gona, he’s definitely got the pace and strength he needs to be quick and decisive with the ball you don’t get the time here as on the continent, but if he struggles with that he will struggle here. 

Gbamin was dropped right in at the deep end. He made a few mistakes and had a knightmare opening twenty.

After that I thought he settled down a bit. He looked strong, decent on the ball and was looking to get forward whenever he could.

His second game was a vast improvement. You could see his confidence coming through, and it was easy to see he is accomplished with the ball.

Its way to early to tell if he will be a good player here or not, but from the glimpses we had, there looks to be more positive promise than negative.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Gbamin was dropped right in at the deep end. He made a few mistakes and had a knightmare opening twenty.

After that I thought he settled down a bit. He looked strong, decent on the ball and was looking to get forward whenever he could.

His second game was a vast improvement. You could see his confidence coming through, and it was easy to see he is accomplished with the ball.

Its way to early to tell if he will be a good player here or not, but from the glimpses we had, there looks to be more positive promise than negative.

This.

His start was a car crash, but it really did look like that the only problem was with him getting used to the play being a lot faster than what he was used to.