Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Palfy

Is it time to bring back Moyes

Recommended Posts

Have we got to the stage in the last 6-7 years that we could do no worse than give Moyes another crack, after all he did a lot better than the last lot and with no money. 
I know it’s said you should never go back but sometimes people and things are meant for each other, and there’s no doubting he gets us and we get him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Have we got to the stage in the last 6-7 years that we could do no worse than give Moyes another crack, after all he did a lot better than the last lot and with no money. 
I know it’s said you should never go back but sometimes people and things are meant for each other, and there’s no doubting he gets us and we get him. 

Same dog, different fleas, would be strong defensively but poor going forward. He was tactically inept which was found out at UTD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seriously been considering this. He did know how to get the best out of the players he had. Could he get the current players fighting?

Lets face it, we can’t do much worse than we are at the moment.

He obviously wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn’t be upset if he came here to replace Silva, if nothing better was available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but if it happened I wouldn’t moan. 
 

I think the problem with Moyes is that he is a slow burner, he needs to get his whole set up around him. Get all of his ideas in place across the club and then you see the best of him. I think that’s why all of these short term jobs haven’t worked for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StevO said:

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but if it happened I wouldn’t moan. 
 

I think the problem with Moyes is that he is a slow burner, he needs to get his whole set up around him. Get all of his ideas in place across the club and then you see the best of him. I think that’s why all of these short term jobs haven’t worked for him. 

I don't see Moyes working with a DoF set up. One of Moyes's big strengths for us was recruitment and he ran the scouting set up. Moshiri has changed the management structure so we should be looking at coaches who can improve what they're given to work with. To be fair that was what Silva was meant to be. Just turns out he's not very good at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't see Moyes working with a DoF set up. One of Moyes's big strengths for us was recruitment and he ran the scouting set up. Moshiri has changed the management structure so we should be looking at coaches who can improve what they're given to work with. To be fair that was what Silva was meant to be. Just turns out he's not very good at it. 

Very good point mate, didn’t even cross my mind to be fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was good to see everyone’s view a resounding no seems to be the order of the day. 
I posted the question because I thought it would be very interesting to get everyone’s opinions because the way things are at the moment you never know, and with Bill still around it could always be a possibility. 
I personally think no, he did a wonderful job for us on one and sometimes the smallest budget of most teams every season he was here. 
But I feel the game as moved on especially in the premier league and his style of football is  maybe not what would get you success, but if he ever got the chance I don’t think I would be up in arms there’s a respect in me for him that my curiosity would want to see if he could do a job for us again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have too many players underperforming, not earning their wages.  We need a manager who can sort them out.  It is obvious that Silva is not that manager, he is clueless on selection, tactics, substitutions. The problems are clear for all to see except, it seems, Silva who makes the same decisions game after game.  Its as though if he changes something it is like admitting that he got it wrong in the first place.  I don't think the players have any respect for him.  I think Moyes could sort the situation out, but like Fat Sam, on a short-term basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, johnh said:

We have too many players underperforming, not earning their wages.  We need a manager who can sort them out.  It is obvious that Silva is not that manager, he is clueless on selection, tactics, substitutions. The problems are clear for all to see except, it seems, Silva who makes the same decisions game after game.  Its as though if he changes something it is like admitting that he got it wrong in the first place.  I don't think the players have any respect for him.  I think Moyes could sort the situation out, but like Fat Sam, on a short-term basis.

The subs thing seems to be accepted wisdom throughout the leagues now; sixty minutes *ding* it's time to make changes whether you're ahead or behind, does my nut in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2019 at 19:14, Finn balor said:

Moyes would walk on his knees to get the job and would accept a director of football. Beggars can’t be choosers 

Beggar?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Moyes and Martinez would work together as joint managers, yes. Moyes would sort out the defence for good, and Martinez would have us playing exciting, attractive, and attacking football. That would be quite a partnership - except that neither has the ego to work with another or with a director of football - not to mention double the manager salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

If Moyes and Martinez would work together as joint managers, yes. Moyes would sort out the defence for good, and Martinez would have us playing exciting, attractive, and attacking football. That would be quite a partnership - except that neither has the ego to work with another or with a director of football - not to mention double the manager salary.

Who would look after the midfield 🤔?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moyes doesn't have that fire in his belly anymore. It comes with age and experience and a disillusionment with the game. Same with the likes of Benitez and Mourinho who have also been touted.

If rather have Sean, frog in his throat, Dyche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Moyes doesn't have that fire in his belly anymore. It comes with age and experience and a disillusionment with the game. Same with the likes of Benitez and Mourinho who have also been touted.

If rather have Sean, frog in his throat, Dyche

He’s not the exciting name I’d want, but I really wouldn’t mind Dyche. I think he’s very underrated and it would be interesting to see what he would do with better quality players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, StevO said:

He’s not the exciting name I’d want, but I really wouldn’t mind Dyche. I think he’s very underrated and it would be interesting to see what he would do with better quality players. 

Dyche wouldn't be my cup of tea either but we've tried a few different managers now and it's all just been a big disappointment.

Recruitment has been really hit and miss with some good signings being brought in alongside some total flops. It's all a bit Spursy. We really need to sell/release the deadwood that still floats around the squad. Most importantly we need to be much smarter with our recruitment. We can't compete with the big boys financially but we are being outperformed by much lower teams. This is because they have cut their cloth accordingly and recruited players that fit into their respective systems.

Look at our squad and previous squads and the players who have generally been our best performers have all been bargain signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we need a british manager that is hungry with a chip on his shoulder and a point to prove. A lot of these high profile managers don’t care if they get sacked as they get a huge pay off and walk into another job. Look at lampard at the minute. He has good players and relates to the club and knows what it means and he wants to prove people wrong. I’m not saying lampard is the real deal for one minute but he has started well and the players have responded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

We should now be at the stage in the squad that we add one or two players a summer. A new manager throws that all into the air again. That’s the worrying bit. Morishi needs to get one right 

This is my worry as well. At this point, Marco should have most of the players he needs to play the way he wants to play. If a new manager comes in then we're basically starting from scratch again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Dyche is a donkey.  Honest, hardworking, utilitarian.  You want to play like Burnley for the next 4 years?  What's the difference between a Dyche team and an Allardyce team?

So you’ve only seen what he can do with a small club on a limited budget? That means he couldn’t do more with additional resources?

Im assuming in your job you are working to your maximum capabilities and couldn’t possibly do any better under different circumstances? I know I could do better in mine with a better team around me and more funding and better facilities. 
 

The difference between him and Sam is that Sam went to many clubs, various different budgets and various different quality of player, and achieved similar results. Dyche has done it once for the long term and done very well with a club like Burnley. He’s got plenty of time left in his career so I don’t see why anyone would think his career has to be so limited. He can’t get players like Bernard, Richarlison, Digne and Gomes at Burnley, but if he could you think he would still play the same way?

Im not saying he’s the man for the job, but to think he just has one style of play (that has beaten us plenty of times in his Burnley career) is just narrow minded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bill said:

I also hope not,  but they wouldn't make him favourite for nowt, there has to be something going on.

It’s obvious why they make him favourite. He was our last long term manager, he has Everton at heart, we’re in the relegation zone, he’s not currently employed, a few people in the media have touted his name due to our current situation, people have then bet on him, the odds have stated to reduce, more people have then bet on him again trying to get on band wagon and odds tumble. Simple. 
 

Id be shocked if he were to get the job. We need to look forwards not backwards. There are lots of great mangers out there we just need the right match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, StevO said:

So you’ve only seen what he can do with a small club on a limited budget? That means he couldn’t do more with additional resources?

Im assuming in your job you are working to your maximum capabilities and couldn’t possibly do any better under different circumstances? I know I could do better in mine with a better team around me and more funding and better facilities. 
 

The difference between him and Sam is that Sam went to many clubs, various different budgets and various different quality of player, and achieved similar results. Dyche has done it once for the long term and done very well with a club like Burnley. He’s got plenty of time left in his career so I don’t see why anyone would think his career has to be so limited. He can’t get players like Bernard, Richarlison, Digne and Gomes at Burnley, but if he could you think he would still play the same way?

Im not saying he’s the man for the job, but to think he just has one style of play (that has beaten us plenty of times in his Burnley career) is just narrow minded. 

I’m sure some United fans argued the same about Moyes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m sure some United fans argued the same about Moyes...

Bam, was about to say the same thing.

 

Its a catch 22 though... Some people want Arteta, however the would also have to adapt his managerial 'play style' if he were to come here because we'd get relegated if we set up the same way as City do.

Its about the board sitting down with Brands and identiying targets who could come in and implement a style of play with the players we already have. It's difficult either way really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m sure some United fans argued the same about Moyes...

And now they can, he has had the chance to show he was capable of more and it didn’t work out. Until someone has been given the opportunity to grow how can they be written off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StevO said:

And now they can, he has had the chance to show he was capable of more and it didn’t work out. Until someone has been given the opportunity to grow how can they be written off?

Good point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StevO said:

And now they can, he has had the chance to show he was capable of more and it didn’t work out. Until someone has been given the opportunity to grow how can they be written off?

I was just giving a recent example of how that argument can fall flat on its back. 
 

I like Dyche but his finishes with Burnley don’t show me anything to think he could take us forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matt said:

I was just giving a recent example of how that argument can fall flat on its back. 
 

I like Dyche but his finishes with Burnley don’t show me anything to think he could take us forward. 

I knew where you were coming from mate. 
 

im not saying he is the man for the job, just that I wouldn’t be that bothered if we got him and we wouldn’t know just how good he is until he’s given the chance. I certainly fancy him more than some of the other names doing the rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Aidan said:

Bam, was about to say the same thing.

 

Its a catch 22 though... Some people want Arteta, however the would also have to adapt his managerial 'play style' if he were to come here because we'd get relegated if we set up the same way as City do.

Its about the board sitting down with Brands and identiying targets who could come in and implement a style of play with the players we already have. It's difficult either way really.

I disagree for what it's worth. Of course he would need to adapt but the principles work with crap players too. Look at Rodgers as an immediate example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...