Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cisk

Whats everyone up to right now?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Job hunting and potentially having to move to the UK which will take any money I’ve saved and potentially put me in debt. 

Sorry to hear that Matt I thought things were going really well in Switzerland for you, with work and getting the citizenship, I obviously don’t know what’s gone but fingers crossed everything works out well for you. 

 

3 hours ago, RPG said:

Now you know we love each other really Palfy. And, just for the record, you have never pissed me off. You have given me a good giggle, for which I thank you, but you have never pissed me off. Life is too short.

Currently sat at home in Dubai, temperature well over 30 deg C, on Emergency Leave as it happens, nursing a poorly wife (bad flu) and a 3 year old daughter who has just returned home from 6 days in hospital with 'Kawasaki' disease. I thought it was just the name of a motor bike but the disease is named after the Japanese doctor who discovered it in the 1960's.

Appointment at the Paediatric Cardiologist on Monday to hopefully get the all clear to fly/drive to Penang Island via KL on Tuesday for 3 weeks in our penthouse. The routine is always the same. Fly to KL, a couple of days with the 'outlaws' then we borrow the brother in law's car for a couple of weeks and have a nice drive up the North/South highway and over the bridge to Penang Island. Drive back to KL about 3 days before the end of the holiday, return the car, more time with the 'outlaws' and then fly back to Dubai again.

Look we will never see eye to eye on the issue of Brexit, so possible in the best interests of diplomacy we try to avoid each other as much as possible on that subject. 
But I am genuinely sad to hear that your daughter is poorly, I’ve no idea what Kawasaki disease is or it’s symptoms but I wish her a speedy recovery and no lasting symptoms, but to have been hospitalised for 6 weeks tells me it’s quite serious. 
Best wishes to your family and I Hope everything turns out well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Sorry to hear that Matt I thought things were going really well in Switzerland for you, with work and getting the citizenship, I obviously don’t know what’s gone but fingers crossed everything works out well for you. 

 

Look we will never see eye to eye on the issue of Brexit, so possible in the best interests of diplomacy we try to avoid each other as much as possible on that subject. 
But I am genuinely sad to hear that your daughter is poorly, I’ve no idea what Kawasaki disease is or it’s symptoms but I wish her a speedy recovery and no lasting symptoms, but to have been hospitalised for 6 weeks tells me it’s quite serious. 
Best wishes to your family and I Hope everything turns out well. 

Nothing wrong in not seeing eye to eye Palfry. It's how we don't see eye to eye with each other that needs looking at. I have no time for foul language and personal insults when meant in a nasty manner. Mickey taking, I am all for.

Thanks for the good wishes re our daughter. Kawasaki disease can best be described as a very serious variant of scarlet fever and the inflamed blood vessels can damage a young child's heart. She was on an iv aspirin solution to try to thin the blood to minimise the opportunity for damage to the heart and, fingers crossed, it looks like the doctors at the American hospital in Dubai have done a great job.

https://medlineplus.gov/kawasakidisease.html

I am quite happy for 'diplomatic relations' between us to be resumed on a normal basis and quite happy to argue with you provided we can keep it polite while doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a hotel room in NYC awake since 5:30.

the plane should have landed at 4, but circled for an hour and a half due to bad winds causing issues at JFK. Just before we landed a baby was sick all down his Mum, and it smelt so bad. 
Then when we landed there was a medical emergency and we had to wait for medics to come before we could leave, another hour wait, with the smell of sick. Not a good couple of hours. 
 

traffic was so bad it took over to hours to get to Manhattan. I’m hoping today is a bette day 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2019 at 05:57, Palfy said:

I’ve been in Portugal since Wednesday playing golf badly, I’m going to put it down to too many late nights and to much Vino. 😎
But a couple of lessons desperately needed golf and social. 

not making me jealous  Palfy  lol  not a bit lol  I  hate golf and wine I can take  or leave it :crying::shakingfist::rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2019 at 10:22, Matt said:

After a volatile couple of weeks work wise, we’ve decided to stick to our plan of going away for the weekend, 3 days on Lake Como. Weather looks awful but it’ll be good to just have time being the 3 of us 

Well even though it pissed it down the whole time (made the Nufenenpass a lot less enjoyable) the resort was great and even arranged a special table and cake for E’s 5th birthday. Parco San Marco if anyone is interested, I highly recommend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Hate you, my fridge is bare and my wife is with her mum until Saturday so have a free pass; very poor planning.

Hate away  ya  git  ya  :LOL     It is  none alco ho;o;ically  made  LOL  It is in fact  Tonic water  I  have  had to drink it in the past  and now I  like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in bed, awake because my shoulder is too sore to let me sleep. 

Got a little overly aggressive with my new hybrid at the driving range last night, too many shots flying straight down the middle I thought it try to hit it harder. Missed the ball completely and felt like my left arm wanted to leave my body. Been in agony since. Supposed to be playing at Dunscar tomorrow, not looking likely. 
 

Note to self, do not do that again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been chatting with my brother in Dubai, he went out with a couple of workmates a few nights back one of who he'd not spoken to much before but they were chatting and came up that both had an encounter with cancer. Like he said (and I know) it's difficult to explain or talk about to anyone who's not done it so they got on really well. Then came out that the lad was a huge Evertonian but had recently flown out from London business class on an A380, and in the "seat" next to him was.....Mo Salah😂. Unfortunately they got talking and he was really annoyed to discover Salah was a proper nice bloke, even went out of his way to say cheerio while walking to his waiting limo. Conflicted or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been on route back from the Maldives for over 22 hours from leaving the Island and getting home, with a couple of hours delay due to a no fly zone over Iranian and Iraqi airspace, a small price to pay at least I got home safely, unlike some miss fortunate people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2020 at 11:07, Palfy said:

I have been on route back from the Maldives for over 22 hours from leaving the Island and getting home, with a couple of hours delay due to a no fly zone over Iranian and Iraqi airspace, a small price to pay at least I got home safely, unlike some miss fortunate people. 

I departed Dubai early Sunday morning for Dakar. The rains didn't help the departure delays either. When I checked into the lounge the queue was about 100 long (normally no queue whatsoever) and the airport was, generally, much busier than normal.

Pleased that everyone got home safely. Better to be a few hours late in this world than 30 years early in the next.

I have just checked into our crew hotel in Sao Paulo. Should get back to Dubai late Wednesday night.

Pic is Dubai airport on Saturday. We have a fleet of BMW cars to chauffeur us to/from work and 10 of them expired at various places around Dubai as the electrics couldn't cope with the flood water. I was picked up 5-00am Sunday in a Toyota that the company had hired for me.

IMG_2928.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling the effects of a bottle of Cava with the wife at dinner earlier but still have beer in the fridge, do I have another couple and risk my head hurting in the morning?

Life asks some very difficult questions at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Feeling the effects of a bottle of Cava with the wife at dinner earlier but still have beer in the fridge, do I have another couple and risk my head hurting in the morning?

Life asks some very difficult questions at times.

When I’m challenged with one of life’s dilemmas I usually have a beer, I hope that helps you to come to a decision🍺😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 20:54, MikeO said:

Feeling the effects of a bottle of Cava with the wife at dinner earlier but still have beer in the fridge, do I have another couple and risk my head hurting in the morning?

Life asks some very difficult questions at times.

I haven't drank since mid December.....  can't take hangovers any more and with 2 young children I prefer to have a clear head.

The benefits are awesome... Money, quality sleep, better moods, productive at work, look better, to be fair I have to drank more in the last 20 years than most do in a lifetime.  I seen a worrying trajectory with drink - was drinking to deal with negative things rather than enjoying positive things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I haven't drank since mid December.....  can't take hangovers any more and with 2 young children I prefer to have a clear head.

The benefits are awesome... Money, quality sleep, better moods, productive at work, look better, to be fair I have to drank more in the last 20 years than most do in a lifetime.  I seen a worrying trajectory with drink - was drinking to deal with negative things rather than enjoying positive things.  

 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I haven't drank since mid December.....  can't take hangovers any more and with 2 young children I prefer to have a clear head.

The benefits are awesome... Money, quality sleep, better moods, productive at work, look better, to be fair I have to drank more in the last 20 years than most do in a lifetime.  I seen a worrying trajectory with drink - was drinking to deal with negative things rather than enjoying positive things.  

Well done Haf.  Keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, johnh said:

 

Well done Haf.  Keep it up.

Not even an effort anymore John, don't even have a wine with my meal.  I used to get the boozy blues really bad, 4 days after a night out I would still be depressed,  that's when you know it's not worth it.

So I will have a go every now and then but eve. 5 or 6 pints and I'm out of action the next day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember a year or 2 ago Haf when we were talking about drink, and I told you about my mate who was drinking himself to death well he died 3 months ago, literally drunk himself to death.  
Keep it up mate you’ve seen the benefit of controlling your drinking and not letting your drinking control you, he never managed to do that, and paid the ultimate price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Remember a year or 2 ago Haf when we were talking about drink, and I told you about my mate who was drinking himself to death well he died 3 months ago, literally drunk himself to death.  
Keep it up mate you’ve seen the benefit of controlling your drinking and not letting your drinking control you, he never managed to do that, and paid the ultimate price. 

I'm sorry to hear that Palfy.

Alcohol consumption is glamourised and it's very much a case of make sure you can drink enough to be socially accepted but if by some unfortunate chance your brain chemistry means you start getting dependant on it then you are an outcast. 

Youve got to look inward when you drink.....  it will do a job of telling you that it's ok "youve worked hard" or "you've had a bad day" or "your mate who drinks has fallen on hard times and needs an ear" 

People will look at those around them in a bar as friends..... they are often nothing more than drinking partners who would not bother knocking on your door to have a cup of tea if you needed them.

Its a scary world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider myself very fortunate.  I enjoy a glass of wine but never bother with a second.  Enjoy a pint of bitter, never bother with a second.  Enjoy a dram of Scotch, never bother with a second.  Don't know why it should be that I really enjoy a drink but am happy with just the one.  The other advantage is that I have never been drunk.  Have never smoked either.  On reflection, I'm just a boring sod really!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recuperating at home after 4 days in hospital with early stages of pneumonia. Some heavy duty iv antibiotics seem to have me on the road to recovery but will miss flights to Dhaka and Edinburgh. Hope to be good for Stockholm next Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, RPG said:

Recuperating at home after 4 days in hospital with early stages of pneumonia. Some heavy duty iv antibiotics seem to have me on the road to recovery but will miss flights to Dhaka and Edinburgh. Hope to be good for Stockholm next Sunday.

Hope you are back in good health soon.  Did they put you in isolation?  Hope you have your mask on when you post on here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, johnh said:

Hope you are back in good health soon.  Did they put you in isolation?  Hope you have your mask on when you post on here!

I must have been asked about 50 times when I was last in China! Thankfully, it was a good few months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RPG said:

Recuperating at home after 4 days in hospital with early stages of pneumonia. Some heavy duty iv antibiotics seem to have me on the road to recovery but will miss flights to Dhaka and Edinburgh. Hope to be good for Stockholm next Sunday.

Best of luck man. I got given the “wrong” antibiotics which turned my already chronic insomnia up to 11. Lost 8kg in 10 days, more than 10% of my body mass. Only just getting the weight back 10 weeks later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Best of luck man. I got given the “wrong” antibiotics which turned my already chronic insomnia up to 11. Lost 8kg in 10 days, more than 10% of my body mass. Only just getting the weight back 10 weeks later. 

Ouch!  Hope you get sorted soon.   When they decided that my heart condition had been wrongly diagnosed, they put me on different beta blockers.  Been taking them for two weeks and have felt absolutely lousy for two weeks. Been trying to make contact with the consultant but its a nightmare.  After going through all the options 'press 5 for etc.,'  I end up with (the last one) that says 'this number is unobtainable'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt said:

Best of luck man. I got given the “wrong” antibiotics which turned my already chronic insomnia up to 11. Lost 8kg in 10 days, more than 10% of my body mass. Only just getting the weight back 10 weeks later. 

I suffer from insomnia Matt if I get 3-4 hours sleep a night if I’m lucky, for me it makes me lethargic and moody, it gets me down to the point where I feel I might be depressed, but I know I’m not it’s more tiredness and that makes me not arsed some days. 
I get by mainly because I laugh a lot humour for me keeps you positive even through hard days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I suffer from insomnia Matt if I get 3-4 hours sleep a night if I’m lucky, for me it makes me lethargic and moody, it gets me down to the point where I feel I might be depressed, but I know I’m not it’s more tiredness and that makes me not arsed some days. 
I get by mainly because I laugh a lot humour for me keeps you positive even through hard days. 

3-4 hours has become a false hope. That’s a weeks worth of sleep. I’ve broken bones and currently have an awesome steak sized bruise (I think I popped it again) on my left side). Insomnia can go suck one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnh said:

Ouch!  Hope you get sorted soon.   When they decided that my heart condition had been wrongly diagnosed, they put me on different beta blockers.  Been taking them for two weeks and have felt absolutely lousy for two weeks. Been trying to make contact with the consultant but its a nightmare.  After going through all the options 'press 5 for etc.,'  I end up with (the last one) that says 'this number is unobtainable'!

Hope you’re recovering well mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt said:

3-4 hours has become a false hope. That’s a weeks worth of sleep. I’ve broken bones and currently have an awesome steak sized bruise (I think I popped it again) on my left side). Insomnia can go suck one

WhT do your medical professionals say?  I’m surprised you’re not on ambien.  I had a friend who got on it and it saved his life.  He was finally able to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt said:

3-4 hours has become a false hope. That’s a weeks worth of sleep. I’ve broken bones and currently have an awesome steak sized bruise (I think I popped it again) on my left side). Insomnia can go suck one

That’s severe what have the doctors done to try and help you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

WhT do your medical professionals say?  I’m surprised you’re not on ambien.  I had a friend who got on it and it saved his life.  He was finally able to sleep.

Ambian 12.5 didn’t work for more a couple of nights before my head adjusted. Going back the doctors this week to see what else can be done. 

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

That’s severe what have the doctors done to try and help you.  

See above mate. Basically just given me stronger and stronger sleeping pills but they’ve never really been an answer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matt said:

Ambian 12.5 didn’t work for more a couple of nights before my head adjusted. Going back the doctors this week to see what else can be done. 

See above mate. Basically just given me stronger and stronger sleeping pills but they’ve never really been an answer 

Good luck Matt I hope they get you on the right treatment mate, you can’t carry on like that you will end up with no quality of life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matt said:

Ambian 12.5 didn’t work for more a couple of nights before my head adjusted. Going back the doctors this week to see what else can be done. 

See above mate. Basically just given me stronger and stronger sleeping pills but they’ve never really been an answer 

I'm sure you've probably tried them.... but melatonin and magnesium?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sick leave extended by a couple of days so I am not going to Stockholm at the moment.

Will spend the afternoon catching up on my flying log book entries, then settle down for the premiership footie.

Early start tomorrow morning now that I am still home for the school run - weekends being Fri/Sat in this neck of the woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not feeling brilliant last couple of days. Think it's the new medication.  Sitting in the warm waiting for the Rugby to come on TV.  Two daughter's have come down today and have taken her indoors out for a shop and some lunch.  Nice and peaceful here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Palfy said:

My youngest grandchild’s 1st birthday party round mine today, 9 kids 10 adults and 5 hours, I’m to old for this sort of excitement said to the Mrs never again I’m knackered. 

Been there and got the T-shirt mate, nightmare; never again indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for the driver to pick me up to take me to work. Dubai to Addis Ababa and back. Its going to be a long day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2020 at 20:12, Palfy said:

My youngest grandchild’s 1st birthday party round mine today, 9 kids 10 adults and 5 hours, I’m to old for this sort of excitement said to the Mrs never again I’m knackered. 

Like Mike0. been there, done that.  Palfy, you obviously have the stamina I used to have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnh said:

Like Mike0. been there, done that.  Palfy, you obviously have the stamina I used to have!

I’ll never have your stamina John, your a TT legend mate 👊😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eating a bag of these...

https://www.snafflingpig.co.uk/collections/crackling/products/mighty-colmans-mustard-pork-crackling-packets

...only discovered them a few weeks back but am now buying in bulk; totally addictive. Takes something special to get my taste buds to kick in but these do it in spades, and the powder left when the bag is "finished" blows your head to bits. Lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Missed one of life's great joys John, loved my biking days.

The problem with biking is that you are relying on everyone else on the road to keep you safe.  You have only got to look at the quality of some of the driving! When my eldest son was in his teens he was desperate for a motorbike.  He used to get all the magazines.  I wouldn't let him have one.  He's 60 this year and admits it was a good decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, johnh said:

The problem with biking is that you are relying on everyone else on the road to keep you safe.  You have only got to look at the quality of some of the driving! When my eldest son was in his teens he was desperate for a motorbike.  He used to get all the magazines.  I wouldn't let him have one.  He's 60 this year and admits it was a good decision.

Not so imo, though obviously you're more vulnerable. I always rode on the basis that everyone else on the road was out to kill me, when I was younger and when I bought a new one a few years back, and that kept me safe. I had two extremely minor tumbles in 12/15 years on the road in total (one of them was my fault and didn't involve any other road user/pedestrian).

I'm 60 this year as well and still here to tell the tale:); got my first bike three days after my 17th and (no compulsory training back then) was immediately hammering down the road at 80mph. Happy days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not so imo, though obviously you're more vulnerable. I always rode on the basis that everyone else on the road was out to kill me, when I was younger and when I bought a new one a few years back, and that kept me safe. I had two extremely minor tumbles in 12/15 years on the road in total (one of them was my fault and didn't involve any other road user/pedestrian).

I'm 60 this year as well and still here to tell the tale:); got my first bike three days after my 17th and (no compulsory training back then) was immediately hammering down the road at 80mph. Happy days.

I haven't ridden for over 30 years - apart from a brief dalliance with a bike for a few months when we lived in Brunei. I used to like the old British bikes, mainly Triumph and BSA but I am thinking of getting back in the saddle again in Malaysia in a year or so when I retire.

Wife thinks it's not a good idea for reasons expressed by Johnh and it is very hard to disagree with her unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...