Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AlbanyNYToffee

Southampton (Away) Saturday November 9th

Recommended Posts

positives:  we won, it was a road win, richarlison and davies scored, our defense looks very solid with mina and holgate.

 

negatives - morgan is still awful.  digne is a shadow of his former self.  we barely won against a team with will be in the championship next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

positives:  we won, it was a road win, richarlison and davies scored, our defense looks very solid with mina and holgate.

 

negatives - morgan is still awful.  digne is a shadow of his former self.  we barely won against a team with will be in the championship next year.  

I thought Morgan played well bar the period around their goal. There is no point playing well for most of the game losing a key moment but he there wasn't much difference between him and Davies in general play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Sidibé’s defending was truly awful at times, rescued by a couple of good tackles and that perfect cross.  Schneiderlin’s play, for me, was opposite of Sidibé’s: solid throughout, save an awful moment when they scored.

Davies good, Mina good except for that likely penalty that wasn’t called on him, Holgate probably MOTM,  I like Sigurdsson, but he deprived us of 3 scoring opportunities, with 2 pathetic passes to attacking teammates and a weak shot on clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Thrilled to win, but overall we still don’t finish well, and barely beat an awful team today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So happy we won, listened to the Everton feed, and sounds like we should have put the game to bed by half time. Got to give the lads credit for getting the lead. 
Also just listening to Radio Merseyside post match, Ronnie Goodlass just made a good point about being mentally strong after Gomes injury last week.

Two weeks to hopefully get some of the injured back to fitness ready for Norwich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the reaction from the 2nd goal again. Silva turns and looks to gesture towards Ferguson who does the same back before a few of them have a group hug. it was the type of reaction that suggested something about that goal was down to Ferguson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we controlled the game for the most part. Particularly in the first half was outstanding - our passing was quick, incisive and one touch. It was lovely to watch. We really need to be better at controlling the scoreline though, especially when we're dominating away from home. While we were comfortable in our play we were not comfortable with the score and when they equalised I just thought "standard" and that a point would then be the best we'd get. But we regrouped and showed a determination to get back in front and get the three points. I'd rather we just win the game straight off but it was good to see us do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching these highlights again, how many times does Sidibe get done? Players go round him so easily. 

Thought he was  a very good signing, but fearing for us against better teams.

Not sure if it’s just me looking at him too much or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Watching these highlights again, how many times does Sidibe get done? Players go round him so easily. 

Thought he was  a very good signing, but fearing for us against better teams.

Not sure if it’s just me looking at him too much or not.

Don't know what the down vote is for mate. Sidibe seems to be great going forward but much more vulnerable in defence than Coleman. Perhaps his best position would be as a right midfielder playing in front of Coleman at right back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Watching these highlights again, how many times does Sidibe get done? Players go round him so easily. 

Thought he was  a very good signing, but fearing for us against better teams.

Not sure if it’s just me looking at him too much or not.

It’s not just you.  I thought Sidibé was wildly inconsistent, with some good tackles and that beautiful cross, but also beaten repeatedly at other times.

Of course, most of our players are wildly inconsistent, so.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Don't know what the down vote is for mate. Sidibe seems to be great going forward but much more vulnerable in defence than Coleman. Perhaps his best position would be as a right midfielder playing in front of Coleman at right back.

Glad I’m not alone, was thinking maybe I’m missing something. 

I’ll think he’s good going forward. Crosses a bit hit and miss, but generally he’s got a good touch. But he turns like an artic and is easily ran past. It could be that he needs to time to adjust to the speed of the league, not sure.

The downvote is from Palf, I would be more worried if I got a green haha 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shukes said:

Watching these highlights again, how many times does Sidibe get done? Players go round him so easily. 

Thought he was  a very good signing, but fearing for us against better teams.

Not sure if it’s just me looking at him too much or not.

Which highlights did you watch out of interest?

I thought he did well defensively, very sharp into the tackle. I remember he did get done once, but I don't remember anything else. There was the one that led to the foul but  I thought that was a good challenge.

I would be interested to watch it back and re-evaluate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Glad I’m not alone, was thinking maybe I’m missing something. 

I’ll think he’s good going forward. Crosses a bit hit and miss, but generally he’s got a good touch. But he turns like an artic and is easily ran past. It could be that he needs to time to adjust to the speed of the league, not sure.

The downvote is from Palf, I would be more worried if I got a green haha 😉

I down voted you because I didn’t believe he was that bad or the worse player on the pitch, I thought he had a good game, going forward he was good got some decent crosses in and made some decent tackles in defence, and was an improvement on Coleman of late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Which highlights did you watch out of interest?

I thought he did well defensively, very sharp into the tackle. I remember he did get done once, but I don't remember anything else. There was the one that led to the foul but  I thought that was a good challenge.

I would be interested to watch it back and re-evaluate.

I extended highlights on Sky. 

It may be that the majority of the highlights of him where of him getting rinsed. I didn’t get to watch the whole match so didn’t see much of him, other than his cross.

But I honestly don’t think a full back getting rinsed four times during a match is what we should be calling a good defensive game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I down voted you because I didn’t believe he was that bad or the worse player on the pitch, I thought he had a good game, going forward he was good got some decent crosses in and made some decent tackles in defence, and was an improvement on Coleman of late. 

You don't need to explain mate. 

But as a matter of interest, how many times do you need to get done before it’s called a bad game! 7,8, more?

And other than the obvious Morgan, who is it your rating that had a worse game?

I thought most did well to be fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shukes said:

And other than the obvious Morgan, who is it your rating that had a worse game?

Gylfi didn’t do much and when he had opportunities to do something of note he didn’t do so, a couple of easy passes to put us in on goal fluffed, an open opportunity to shoot not taken.Digne didn’t impress poor game from him, and Richarlison was poor in general play although the goal saved his and our day, but he needs to stay on his feet goes down far to easy, and is as much use to the team as a sack of spuds whilst sat on his arse for no good reason. 
And I wouldn’t have chosen Schneiderlin I thought he had as equally a good game as the 3 I mentioned if not better, which could have been a very good game if not for his part in their goal which marred it for him, but still overall a good performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I extended highlights on Sky. 

It may be that the majority of the highlights of him where of him getting rinsed. I didn’t get to watch the whole match so didn’t see much of him, other than his cross.

But I honestly don’t think a full back getting rinsed four times during a match is what we should be calling a good defensive game. 

Cheers, Ill have a look.

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Gylfi didn’t do much and when he had opportunities to do something of note he didn’t do so, a couple of easy passes to put us in on goal fluffed, an open opportunity to shoot not taken.Digne didn’t impress poor game from him, and Richarlison was poor in general play although the goal saved his and our day, but he needs to stay on his feet goes down far to easy, and is as much use to the team as a sack of spuds whilst sat on his arse for no good reason. 
And I wouldn’t have chosen Schneiderlin I thought he had as equally a good game as the 3 I mentioned if not better, which could have been a very good game if not for his part in their goal which marred it for him, but still overall a good performance. 

I thought Gylfi was a little unlucky, in my opinion they werent easy passes at all. He was pretty instrumental in us playing well first half.

I agree about Richarlison. He was shite all game despite scoring the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Cheers, Ill have a look.

I thought Gylfi was a little unlucky, in my opinion they werent easy passes at all. He was pretty instrumental in us playing well first half.

I agree about Richarlison. He was shite all game despite scoring the goal.

I thought he should have done better with his passing but that’s my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

You don't need to explain mate. 

But as a matter of interest, how many times do you need to get done before it’s called a bad game! 7,8, more?

And other than the obvious Morgan, who is it your rating that had a worse game?

I thought most did well to be fair. 

If you look at Twitter Evertonians are praising Sidibe for his performance against Southampton, I struggled to find to many negative tweets most want him signed up as the replacement for Coleman who has been struggling for the last couple of seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If you look at Twitter Evertonians are praising Sidibe for his performance against Southampton, I struggled to find to many negative tweets most want him signed up as the replacement for Coleman who has been struggling for the last couple of seasons. 

I read the twitter feed. There are a lot of positive ones but also just as many people saying they think Coleman is a much better defender. 

That Twitter feed is a bit like our conversation, some people like him, some think his defending is awful. 

If Coleman gets done like that, he is past it. 

But I agree he is an asset going forward. I just think he’s going to face much better opposition than Southampton, and getting rinsed isn’t what we should be expecting if our full backs.

Just a little question, the highlights show Sidibe getting done four times and picking up a yellow. Didn’t see the whole match, but obviously Digne got turned over more than Sidibe.... how many times did Digne get done? Approx?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I read the twitter feed. There are a lot of positive ones but also just as many people saying they think Coleman is a much better defender. 

That Twitter feed is a bit like our conversation, some people like him, some think his defending is awful. 

If Coleman gets done like that, he is past it. 

But I agree he is an asset going forward. I just think he’s going to face much better opposition than Southampton, and getting rinsed isn’t what we should be expecting if our full backs.

Just a little question, the highlights show Sidibe getting done four times and picking up a yellow. Didn’t see the whole match, but obviously Digne got turned over more than Sidibe.... how many times did Digne get done? Approx?

He got done once or twice  but was far in affective going forward, which has been the biggest plus in his game, but I don’t really want to compare every player out there with each other, I just felt that Sidibe didn’t warrant being singled out as you did in your original post, he did a lot of good things that you gave him little or no credit for which I felt was a bit harsh when there were worse performances out there. 
But we all see things differently and you and me more than most, but we always do it respectfully. 
Now fook off and leave me a lone 😉😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shukes said:

Watching these highlights again, how many times does Sidibe get done? Players go round him so easily. 

Thought he was  a very good signing, but fearing for us against better teams.

Not sure if it’s just me looking at him too much or not.

Shortlisted for the ballon d'or after his performance.

B67C9D6C-78C5-4A51-B89E-8EDD598020FA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems there are, consistently, three weak links in the team: Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, and Richarlison. Yes, I know Richarlison scored the winner, but he doesn't appear to contribute that effectively in most games, and his falling at the slightest touch reflects poorly on him and the team. I'd like to see how we'd do without these three - even during this time when several are out injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

if you got your rating of sidibe from highlights well that's why.  you didn't watch the whole game.  he mina and holgate were very solid back there.  he is a lot better than current form seamus.  

As I did actually say.

I saw his cross and think was an excellent ball. But that’s all the highlights showed of him, so was hoping people would put me right by pointing out the better bits.

Still suprised  that people think he is a good game defensively despite those moments. Didn’t realise Southampton put us u see so much pressure. But then the defence deserve great credit for withstanding such intense pressure. So maybe some of you are right and he does deserve credit for a good defensive performance.

I admit this is what you dont get from highlights.the highlights made it look like they only had a handful of attacks.

I will reserve judgement until I see more of him.

And I agree with Mina and Holgate. Both are I pressing at the minute. I wasn’t a fan of Mina, but he really looks like he’s getting to grips with the premier league now. And Holgate is benefitting from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

As I did actually say.

I saw his cross and think was an excellent ball. But that’s all the highlights showed of him, so was hoping people would put me right by pointing out the better bits.

Still suprised  that people think he is a good game defensively despite those moments. Didn’t realise Southampton put us u see so much pressure. But then the defence deserve great credit for withstanding such intense pressure. So maybe some of you are right and he does deserve credit for a good defensive performance.

I admit this is what you dont get from highlights.the highlights made it look like they only had a handful of attacks.

I will reserve judgement until I see more of him.

And I agree with Mina and Holgate. Both are I pressing at the minute. I wasn’t a fan of Mina, but he really looks like he’s getting to grips with the premier league now. And Holgate is benefitting from it.

👏👏👏👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Palfy said:

I thought he should have done better with his passing but that’s my opinion. 

I would agree, I actually think he is worse in attack than in defence.

21 hours ago, Shukes said:

I read the twitter feed. There are a lot of positive ones but also just as many people saying they think Coleman is a much better defender. 

That Twitter feed is a bit like our conversation, some people like him, some think his defending is awful. 

If Coleman gets done like that, he is past it. 

But I agree he is an asset going forward. I just think he’s going to face much better opposition than Southampton, and getting rinsed isn’t what we should be expecting if our full backs.

Just a little question, the highlights show Sidibe getting done four times and picking up a yellow. Didn’t see the whole match, but obviously Digne got turned over more than Sidibe.... how many times did Digne get done? Approx?

 

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Bailey I’ll leave this one with you. 

Right then lads...

The highlights show 7 clips of him defending.

1. He tries to control a highball and boots it out of play (I would personally consider that a skill, but I shall compare him to other premier league quality right backs).

2. Good defending against the attacker showing good strength

HALF TIME

3. Wins a header, again decent strength to hold off his man.

4. Silly challenge on Djenpro, he must have hacked him about 5 times in the small time he was tracking him.

 

5. Completely misses his first touch and the ball goes under his foot meaning he is out of position in the counter attack. He gets back well enough though.

6. This is the foul he gives away which I think is great defending, getting his body between man and ball but each to their own.

7. Good defending in the left back channel sticking with Boufal and stopping the ball in. He shows that he can only tackle with his right foot though, its actually quite awkward to watch.

What wasn't on the highlights is that he is very quick into the press. The opposition doesn't have time to take a touch and turn, he is straight into them. He also seems to cover pretty well, he made a great challenge in the first half when we looked in a bit of trouble and he does get up and down the wing. He isn't someone who is going to watch the attacker run past him and give it up.

In my opinion the two worst bits of play were the two fuck ups when in possession, in the miscontrol and the first touch clearance. In comparison with Coleman, I think Sidibe has more energy to get up and down and their crossing is of a similar quality. Defensively though I think Sidibe is stronger, quicker and probably fitter too. I don't think there is a lot of difference in their positioning or ability to read the game. There isn't a lot of difference between them but I would be sticking with Sidibe for now and see if he will continue to improve for more exposure to the Premier League.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like sidibe. A few of his “fouls” were harsh as he’s so tall and physical for a full back when he puts his arm acros to defend the ball his arm goes above chest height which makes it easier for the winger to go down. Whether or not to spend £12 mill on him when we have kenny is another matter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He shows that he can only tackle with his right foot though, its actually quite awkward to watch.

Main reason Soton managed to get a goal. After Schneiderlin is done Sidibe should be there to block but he's goose stepping to his favoured foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 18:44, pete0 said:

Main reason Soton managed to get a goal. After Schneiderlin is done Sidibe should be there to block but he's goose stepping to his favoured foot.

No it isnt. Schneiderlin was absolutley piss scared of Boufal. Sidibe had his eye on the guy on the edge of the box who would have been free had Boufal cut it back. Sidibe was trying to cover Schneiderlin as well as cover his own man. You just watch Schneiderlin screaming for Sidibe to back him up, he is defeated before the guy even gets close to him. Schneiderlin just needs to stop Boufal at source and then they dont cross or score.

On 11/11/2019 at 21:02, Shukes said:

So what Bailey is trying to say is that out of the two attacks Southampton had, he made two fuck ups! I didn’t think he was great, but I didn’t realise he was 100% bad 😉

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 18:33, Finn balor said:

I like sidibe. A few of his “fouls” were harsh as he’s so tall and physical for a full back when he puts his arm acros to defend the ball his arm goes above chest height which makes it easier for the winger to go down. Whether or not to spend £12 mill on him when we have kenny is another matter 

If he proves himself he and Kenny can battle it out for the starting spot and Coleman can begin to be phased out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pete0 said:

3:12 you can see Sidibe go in right footed rather than go with his left. 

 

I don't deny he went with his wrong foot, I just think its an irrelevant point for the reasons I mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...