Sign in to follow this  
Cisk

Carlo Ancelotti (following pre-appointment discussion).

6 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

It's an absolute disgrace. It's as if those at the top of the club have forgotten what is required to win football matches. An article came out today saying we snubbed the wonderkid who is banging them it at Bayern, Zirkzee. He admits that he was ready to sign a contract but the plug was pulled as the club wanted players like fucking Bolasie

😂 that has been us to date, but hopefully with Ancelotti the money will be spent in the right areas on the right players, hopefully 🤞

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

😂 that has been us to date, but hopefully with Ancelotti the money will be spent in the right areas on the right players, hopefully 🤞

I have little confidence. I believe Moshiri is obsessed, or has previously been, with signing big name players in the hope that we will crack the top 4. I'm hoping that Ancelotti will have the stature to change his thinking.

We aren't a big big club that can attract the top top players. We need to put an absolute stop to paying over the odds for over rated players. If Ancelotti says he needs a certain type of player then we should go and find one. I have a level of sympathy for Silva who wanted a proper centre back, a proper striker and a genuine left footed midfielder this summer and we ended up with Delph and Iwobi

20 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

It's an absolute disgrace. It's as if those at the top of the club have forgotten what is required to win football matches. An article came out today saying we snubbed the wonderkid who is banging them it at Bayern, Zirkzee. He admits that he was ready to sign a contract but the plug was pulled as the club wanted players like fucking Bolasie

Not exactly accurate according to the Echo (directly quoting him)..

"Ronald Koeman was coach, Romelu Lukaku left for Manchester United that summer and I got the feeling from Everton that there was a good chance I could really become something there.

"They even offered me a contract whilst I was on trial.

"After I first trained with Bayern, I knew that's who I wanted to join. I told myself, let me do three sessions - then I'll decide if I'm good enough.

"They told me I have the quality, but also that they wanted to work on my conditioning, among other things. They've been true to their word.

"I want to become the striker at Bayern - that's always been my objective."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/breakthrough-bayern-munich-star-admits-17537002

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

"Ronald Koeman was coach, Romelu Lukaku left for Manchester United that summer and I got the feeling from Everton that there was a good chance I could really become something there.

"After I first trained with Bayern, I knew that's who I wanted to join. I told myself, let me do three sessions - then I'll decide if I'm good enough.

"They told me I have the quality, but also that they wanted to work on my conditioning, among other things. They've been true to their word.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/breakthrough-bayern-munich-star-admits-17537002

I accept that but I don’t like it for obvious reasons. 

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's fair enough but what was it that made him change his mind. Of course Bayern has more prestige but surely he would have more opportunity here?

52 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

It's damning really, shows that despite the improved form of Calvert Lewin we are in dire need of a proper goal scorer.

It also shows that players like Gylfi, Morgan and Walcott have been blasting everything high and wide.

How many of those 50 shots were from Gylfi, Morgan and Walcott?

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I wouldn't worry about that. How sick must Arsenal fans feel about Gnabry? 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

How many of those 50 shots were from Gylfi, Morgan and Walcott?

Don't let facts get in the way of a good moan StevO. Who actually had the shots isn't important.

I'm going to blame Pickford for them. Some of them long balls must have counted as shots. Useless.

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Feel free to go and google them up for us 👍

Got bored and did it. The stat is slightly misleading because 42 of the 50 were against Burnley and Newcastle. 10 of those 42 were DCL but he did score 3. None from 32 from the rest of the team would be an issue, except we won so it doesnt matter. 8 attempts in two games v City and Liverpool reserves is a bigger problem. 

11 minutes ago, nogs said:

Got bored and did it. The stat is slightly misleading because 42 of the 50 were against Burnley and Newcastle. 10 of those 42 were DCL but he did score 3. None from 32 from the rest of the team would be an issue, except we won so it doesnt matter. 8 attempts in two games v City and Liverpool reserves is a bigger problem. 

Actually, WhoScored.com has it as 7 attempts v City and 11 v Liverpool. Which would make 60 in four games... 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Actually, WhoScored.com has it as 7 attempts v City and 11 v Liverpool. Which would make 60 in four games... 

Stat was league games only so Liverpool not included.

53 minutes ago, StevO said:

My thoughts exactly. 

I’ve got to be honest, as pissed off as I was at the weekend, what I’ve seen on her and social media of the last few days worries me even more. I’ve been at some terrible atmospheres at Goodison over the years, but I’m really concerned about Saturday. We’ve managed to pull in one of the best managers in world football and I’m really concerned that after a month in the job he could end up regretting it. This feels beyond toxic at the moment. 

I think most of the fans, the vast majority, recognise what a massive coup it is in landing Ancelotti and will give the team their support.

Ancelotti is no fool, he has no loyalty to any of the 4 or 5 players who have been so poor, I doubt they will be in the squad, and the fans will respect that. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

I think most of the fans, the vast majority, recognise what a massive coup it is in landing Ancelotti and will give the team their support.

Ancelotti is no fool, he has no loyalty to any of the 4 or 5 players who have been so poor, I doubt they will be in the squad, and the fans will respect that. 

That would be an impressive statement

10 hours ago, London Blue said:

If Gylfi isn't even on the bench tomorrow you'll hear my cheer from my seat at Goodison all the way down in London. Honestly, I'd have all of the other culprits play for us again before him.

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Here's what Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti makes of Cenk Tosun's temporary departure to Crystal Palace: "I spoke with Cenk Tosun and he wanted to find a club with opportunities to play. I hope Crystal Palace is a good solution for him."

More from Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti: "We have to look forward.

"I understand the frustration of the supporters which is normal when you lose a derby but I hope that atmosphere in the stadium tomorrow will be good because we need the support. We need a great performance to react after the defeat.

"There was no argument, absolutely in the training ground or in the dressing room. Full stop."

More from Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti who is now asked to touch on Fabian Delph's social media spat with a fan and supporters turning up at the training ground:

"I spoke with [Fabian] and told him it was a mistake, he should not have reacted like this.

"After the game everyone was frustrated and sometimes you can react emotionally. I spoke with Marcel [Brands] but now we need the support of our fans because I think we have a great opportunity to improve our league position.

"In Italy it is normal. I will speak to them if they want, there is no problem."

More from Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti: "We are looking to see if there is some possibility to improve our squad.

"I have the full support of the owner, board and director of football. If you want names all the names in the papers give are wrong. I have a great goalkeeper and we are not looking for a goalkeeper."

Central midfield asks a reporter? "Maybe," Ancelotti adds.

I think Don Carlos has made Moshiri the board and Brands an offer they can’t refuse.  

On 09/01/2020 at 16:20, TallPaul1878 said:

I read we wanted to sign him and offered a contract but then Bayern stepped in and he chose them

6 minutes ago, barryj said:

Two out of two. It was Premier League home clean sheets. If he does a big Sam he’ll claim the Arsenal one as well because he was in the ground 😂........I think he’s probably got more class though. 

ah didn't see it was just home.  regardless great stat and as you pointed out he's 100% so far :)

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m ranting in other threads at players but this is on him today. Might as well have played with 9

who else can he play in the midfield?  we don't have anyone.  delph morgan gylfi walcott all are bad, and we are stuck with them thanks to injuries.

17 minutes ago, Makis said:

Think he had three available midfielders and the third was Schneiderlin.

Rather than use Delph he would have been better off playing someone from the under 13s, ok slight exaggeration under 15s

Surely to God he's in at Brands telling him to shift certain players on and begging for reinforcements.

I think Carlo is giving players plenty of chances to show themselves. He knows we've got enough in the team to stay away from trouble. We might make a late push for top 6. But in the meantime, players are being given a fair shout. And the same old same are falling on their arses.

Loads to improve on. But you feel bloody proud when you see Carlo on the touchline in your colours.

He played the cards he was dealt, and then he hauled off players and shuffled those cards. I don't really see what else he could have done.

Our midfield is a major concern for us and if we don't get someone in who's got even just a touch of creativity in them then we're going to have many days like yesterday where we just grind out results (with a few losses thrown in). Davies is a limited footballer (even when he's playing well), Bernard is very up and down, Walcott is inconsistent in the extreme, Delph isn't going to add spark even when he manages to look above being a turd, Scheiderlin while not being as bad as many like to make out simply isn't that sort of player, Sigurdsson isn't all of a sudden going to be what we bought him to be, and Gordon is a kid who has played once.

14 hours ago, nogs said:

What's on him? That half our squad is shite and we've got a load of injuries? 

No. There was clear instruction to play out of the back which, considering our midfield, was a poor tactical choice. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No. There was clear instruction to play out of the back which, considering our midfield, was a poor tactical choice. 

Depends on what you want from a manager, someone who has a system which has made him one of the most successful managers in the world, and he’s going to stick to it, or someone who is going to change what made him successful because he’s inherited a bunch of players who may not be good enough to play his way. 
For me he needs to play these players his way so he knows who can cope and who can’t, that way he will know what he needs to bring in and what he needs to get rid of. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

He's had us playing out from the back since the Burnley game when he had hardly had time to take a training session yet. Why would he change for an away game against West Ham? If you put the horror show against Liverpool aside, we've won 3 drawn 1 and lost away at Man City in the league under Ancellotti. I'd say we're playing as well as can be expected five games into his tenure with a sub standard squad. 

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Stat alert...

Since Napoli got rid, they've played 5, got 3 points.

Since Everton appointed, played 5 got 10 points.

Just posting for the sake of it tbh.

And you’re point being 😉

2 hours ago, nogs said:

He's had us playing out from the back since the Burnley game when he had hardly had time to take a training session yet. Why would he change for an away game against West Ham? If you put the horror show against Liverpool aside, we've won 3 drawn 1 and lost away at Man City in the league under Ancellotti. I'd say we're playing as well as can be expected five games into his tenure with a sub standard squad. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a big fan of his. But Wham needed attacking because they wouldn’t have been able to cope with it. Instead we sat deep and let them ping it across the park. There was no pressure and no momentum. I think he should’ve played and set out the team differently 

I don't think playing out from the back was too bad yesterday. West Ham didn't press us that deep in our own half so we could get that first or second pass away. The problem was once we got near the half way line we gave it away time and time again. Some under pressure, most of it not. The chance Haller had was a poor touch / pass from DCL, putting Bernard under pressure who played a bad pass to Delph/Digne with the latter getting caught on the ball. That happened time and time again with all players involved. 

In terms of the tactics in the second half, I can see why he tried to sit us deeper and soak up pressure better because they were more likely to score than us. We were loose and he wanted to tighten things up, which he did. The problem is it stopped us being an attacking threat. 

Bernard was our most dangerous player, but he was also turning over the ball a lot too. Even Walcott was getting into dangerous positions despite fucking up every final ball. Gordon worked hard but offered very little (not blaming the lad) and for the sake of repeating myself Sidibe isn't a right sided midfielder. He did well at helping us defensively but offered us nothing offensively. 

I have also seen enough to see that DCL and Kean aren't a pairing. Without Bernard it was clear they both wanted to be the final ball rather than drop in. DCL dropping deep is pointless because he is mixed at getting it under control anyway, though some touches in the second half were exquisite, he doesn't know what to do with the ball in space, he isn't a creative passer and he isn't going to beat a man dribbling. Kean did ok when he was doing that more in the first half and he is better at it than DCL but he is miles off contributing as much as Richarlison does in the same role (understandibly). If anything it feels like another position that we need a back up. 

Good video of a lad at the train station singing the Carlo song next to him as he’s smiling. Also heard a new song yesterday which was a good un. We would have won yesterday with Richarlison. We missed him terribly but he has had a rest and another next week with the fa cup which will do him good. There is nowt wrong playing from the back but you have to do it properly. Delph and Davies haven’t got the ability to come and get the ball and have that turn of speed you need to create an attack. We desperately need someone in even on a loan. That midfield four was abject yesterday and even if you bring Gilfi back it still doesn’t solve it. 

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was sold as soon as I read he wants us to play quick. He'll have to get rid a lot of this team to accomplish that though.

I thought we were much improved today on that front. Much quicker getting the ball forward and not playing back top often.   Lots of really positive passing and in the first 20 of the second half some really slick attacking football. 

It was only Newcastle though and they sit back so much there's no excuse for not attacking them.

Not mad on the substitutions, Seamus on for Kean was a bit of an odd defensive move, I know he's used sidibe forward a few times before but when we looked pretty comfortable I don't think the change in shape was a good move.

Niasse,  do we have to give him these cameos in order to get rid??

I heard a few people on the radio phone in blaming Carlo for that. 
If you’re 2-0 after 90 minutes and you don’t win, it’s the lads on the pitch who need to take responsibility. Some logic and communication could have just seen out that win, even at 2-1. 
I feel sorry for Carlo after that. 

I think his words in the press and the words spoken in the dressing room might be very different. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

If you’re 2-0 after 90 minutes and you don’t win, it’s the lads on the pitch who need to take responsibility. Some logic and communication could have just seen out that win, even at 2-1. 

I think his words in the press and the words spoken in the dressing room might be very different. 

Sorry but while the players have their share of the blame he absolutely should shoulder the majority of it. If it was Marco Silva that made those subs tonight and invited Newcastle onto us he would have been slaughtered by a lot more of our fans. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

This all day for me as well.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Sorry but while the players have their share of the blame he absolutely should shoulder the majority of it. If it was Marco Silva that made those subs tonight and invited Newcastle onto us he would have been slaughtered by a lot more of our fans. 

I’m not happy with his subs either, but after that first goal went in the players on the pitch should have been able to see that game out. Regardless of who the manager is, we had a lot of experienced lads out there. If that kick off is played back to Delph and then into Pickford we kill enough of the game off. But to lump it and then give away a free kick was just ridiculous. The subs weren’t good, but we had enough out there to get the job done with one minute to spare. 

Personally I put the blame on Delph first and foremost for needlessly handing possession straight back to Newcastle after the first goal, It’s twice in 2 games his brain farts have cost us goals when there was no danger at all. Then Tom Davies for giving away a stupid free kick