Sign in to follow this  
Cisk

Carlo Ancelotti

30 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Next season, with some appropriate additions to the squad we should be able to launch a real challenge to the top 4 of the table. All of the traditional big clubs are in a transition and the opportunity is there for a club to establish itself as the new order. At the moment though, that club looks like Leicester.

Go back to the end of last season exactly the same things were said then by a multitude of people, it’s pie in the sky to expect him to get us challenging for a top 4 place next season, he’s got to much to change next season to expect that. 
I do understand the feel good factor when a new manager comes in especially a big one like Ancelotti, but I think we need to tinge it with a bit of reality and not expect to much, or we just set ourselves up for disappointment 

7th or 8th playing good football with new signings that actually do what we bought them to do, will be more than enough for me in season one. 

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The players are good enough to be seeing off the minnows of the division, it's a travesty that we find ourselves in the situation we are in. Carlo's short term target this year will be to hopefully deliver the FA Cup, break the hoodoo we have against Liverpool and finish in a more respectable top half position.

Next season, with some appropriate additions to the squad we should be able to launch a real challenge to the top 4 of the table. All of the traditional big clubs are in a transition and the opportunity is there for a club to establish itself as the new order. At the moment though, that club looks like Leicester.

Problem is we have been saying we should be breaking into the top 4 every season since we finished 5th under Martinez. I still reckon that was our big opportunity, fucked up by Martinez's criminal lack of tactical awareness defensively. Since then, under Moshiri's watch we have seen a catalogue of rank bad recruitment turn our squad into a bit of a laughing squad and absolutely nowhere near challenging at the top of the league. I don't think it's realistic to expect that to be turned around in two transfer windows. My concern is that there will be big pressure on Ancellotti to achieve fast results, well throw a load more money around without a proper long term strategy and in 12 months we'll all be scratching our heads wondering what went wrong. 

Ancellotti has signed for four full seasons. I reckon it could realistically take until the final 2 of those before we're genuine contenders again. He needs to be given time and patience. 

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

There was no good reason for us to throw away the results that we have done this season. Losing to the likes of Norwich, Villa, Brighton and Sheff Utd is unforgivable. Even just winning 2 of those games would have us in the top 10 at this stage.

I might be wildly optimistic with my previous post but I still believe we are in a false position that is not reflective of what is at the club already.

I didn’t say we weren’t in a false position, with a better manager and players than actually give a shit we should be in a better position, but every supporter for every team could say that.

But the games we’ve lost and the position we are in the league Paul are factual for what ever reason it’s happened, but to expect Ancelotti to pick this lot up and have us fighting for 4th spot next season is a massive ask, now I’d love that to happen as much as the next fan, and if it did what a bonus, but I’m not expecting it so hopefully I won’t be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, FairWooney said:

Love the Ibra response....I'll give him a call and see if he fancies coming over!

Usual careful responses around transfers and transfer funds but I'd say he'll definitely be well backed.

But he did say not as a player. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The players are good enough to be seeing off the minnows of the division, it's a travesty that we find ourselves in the situation we are in. Carlo's short term target this year will be to hopefully deliver the FA Cup, break the hoodoo we have against Liverpool and finish in a more respectable top half position.

It's this type of attitude that leads to calling for managers heads every 5 minutes. The "minnows" as you call them have all gone on to beat a top side at some point this season. They will beat us under Ancellotti as well. What I would like to see is that we were unlucky in a loss to a lower table side, or any side in fact, rather than being deservedly beaten. Performances need to improve and of that happens results will too.

We aren't going to win the FA Cup either. Up against the league leaders in the first round when we have no midfield. 

As for top 4, we have maybe two or three top 4 quality players. If we jump from what we have now to top 4 it will be a miracle. If it happens Ancellotti won't be here the following season either!

20 hours ago, StevO said:

He does need time, but he’s got 20 league games left this season. I’d hope to see progress from here to be honest. If he is such a good coach (I’m certain he is) we should see him improve the players we have as well as bringing some in. 
Eight or nine wins from the 20 remaining games should be doable I think. 

I think he has a tough start. Burnley aren't your usual side to come up against in your first game, albeit at least we are at home. Newcastle aree picking up points and are very dangerous on the counter, and then it's City, Liverpool and then up against another underrated footballing side in Brighton (albeit at home).

If we end up with 3 wins that would be a huge return for Carlo. 

20 hours ago, Aidan said:

Can see a lot of people on twitter emphasising that we need to give him 'time' like he has asked for. 

The only issue is, that we have to show progression within his time at the club. It could be said Koeman or Silva didn't have enough time, but on the flip side they didn't show much progression either. 

Id certainly expect us to be back in and amongst the top 8 next season and to go from there, but that's not to say I would want him out if we finished 9th or 10th.

The other thing I hope to see is more sensible transfers. Let's not be buying more teenagers breaking the bank in positions we need experience and/or league familiarity. 

There is definitely a difference between time when you can see things working and time because there isn't a better option. We were going backwards under both Silva and Koeman but I hope we would see that continued improvement under Carlo. 

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

There was no good reason for us to throw away the results that we have done this season. Losing to the likes of Norwich, Villa, Brighton and Sheff Utd is unforgivable. Even just winning 2 of those games would have us in the top 10 at this stage.

I might be wildly optimistic with my previous post but I still believe we are in a false position that is not reflective of what is at the club already.

Those 4 sides are no mugs though. City have lost to Norwich, Sheffield should have beaten Liverpool, Brighton have beaten Spurs, Arsenal and drawn with Wolves. Villa are tanking a bit now but they have been game against big sides as well. 

Every game in this league is tough, even the two elite teams in our league have struggled past these sides so I don't get why any Everton fan, with the shite we have who have only just found their fight, can dismiss these other teams so lightly. 

You are just building yourself up to be massively disappointed.

Very pleased with having Ancelotti here. And he'll have plenty to see to indeed. What I personally is looking for is not instant results and shot-term solutions. I want stability, heart and soul and I want our home matches to make the opposition feel they should have stayed in bed.

It will all require hard work, blood and tears, but that might just pay off in the longer run (not this season, I think).

I can see both sides of that. On the hand there have been lots of injuries and apparently also a bug in the squad so a day off wouldn't have been bad but on the other hand Ancelotti has very few training sessions anyways before the first match.

10 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

These are the toughest games for our level at the moment. 
Teams who we should beat will put ten men behind the ball and they are hard to break down. We don’t have enough creativity or the next level of player to break that down. Then they catch us on the break. 
Teams who we shouldn’t beat, we then do what smaller teams do to us and we grind out results. 

We now have a manager who is used to breaking down teams who don’t want to attack him. That’s the game changer as much as anything. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Said all the things any new manager would say. Let's see him do the talking on the pitch. 

He needs time though. It’s imperative that he is allowed time to make the changes needed.

In the market, we’ve not been able to attract the upper level player - we got close with Digne and Gomes through brands. Now we have Carlo - we need to move on these sub par players that we are holding onto with the belief that maybe they can cut it when in all reality they haven’t for 2 or so years. Keane, Schneiderlin, Gylfi, Tosun are first to mind - Coleman and Walcott are on notice. With these players getting minutes, there’s only so much a manager can achieve - world class or not.

This sums up sky and the rest have about us. Charlie Nicholas the guy who is biased as fuck towards arsenal says he doesn’t think Ancellotti is the superstar signing he is made out to be. The guy has won more asleep than Nicholas did in his whole career 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

The man just makes me feel assured he knows what he is doing. Subs were made for a reason and we seemed we knew what we were doing 

Had me worried about how long it took him to get the first sub on, and I moaned it wasn't Sid coming off for an attacker. It turns out he knows more about football than I do. 

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Had me worried about how long it took him to get the first sub on, and I moaned it wasn't Sid coming off for an attacker. It turns out he knows more about football than I do. 

lol.  i did notice after the goal he either delayed the next sub or changed it.  looks like there are actual methods behind the subs which is a revelation.

36 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Well I never you learn something new everyday 😉

46 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I'm not having that Aidan mate; I think you're just too modest to tell us you texted him what to do.

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm not having that Aidan mate; I think you're just too modest to tell us you texted him what to do.

Actually Ancelotti made pretty standard change, given I predicted exactly what he'll do in the match thread:

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

Should change the formation with 3 at the back. Bernard is lovely, but I would sub him for Kean so we have 3 up front with digne and sidibe bombing the wings for crosses. Can't see other way to break that defense.

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

And he did just that! Well done, Carlo!

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Don't be so hard on yourself 😂

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

27 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Don't be so hard on yourself 😂

Thanks for the support boys, thought I was losing it for a minute there. 

After reading the article about how his 442 moves around with and without the ball he seemed to play exactly that. I think apart from missing a couple of goals that was the best football we’ve played in ages. Some of the movement was brilliant, mixing up play inside and out, it was refreshing. If he can implement that in three or four days I’m even more excited. 

The best thing is how different the angry shouts in the crowd were. I’m used to hearing “he’s shit, get him off” or “what the fuck is he doing over there” to now hearing “I don’t understand what he’s doing”, it’s nice hear that the manager knows more than the nuggets who sit behind me. 

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

The change in Bernard was massive. It was almost as if he was given a free role to drift inside as he liked and as a result he had a real impact on the game. The movement off the ball was excellent too. 

Not sure if you saw this article Nogs, but it pretty much played out just as it describes. Bernard playing that left side position and pulling inside leaving space for the full back. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ancelotti-everton-tactics-new-manager-17407007

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Not sure if you saw this article Nogs, but it pretty much played out just as it describes. Bernard playing that left side position and pulling inside leaving space for the full back. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ancelotti-everton-tactics-new-manager-17407007

It was as if the article was written after the game. Played out exactly.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

He certainly stuck with what he knows yesterday then! Be interesting to see if he fancies Richarlison in the LM role like the article suggests and gives Kean a go up top with DCL - like I said, thought it suited Bernard really well. We must be prioritising a CB in January, I wonder if he'll see Holgate as an option at RB if he gets one? Think he'd be better suited to switching back into CB than Coleman. 

Just the way he has all about DCL, saying he wants him to stay in he middle and concentrate on being on the box, rathe than going looking fo the ball.

This shows he is instantly looking at the small changes.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Just the way he has all about DCL, saying he wants him to stay in he middle and concentrate on being on the box, rathe than going looking fo the ball.

This shows he is instantly looking at the small changes.

yep and it showed last match when bernard put a beauty in the box and no one was there.  absolutely criminal that no one was there.  DCL will be that hard worker and the man all CB's hate, kean/richarlison will be banging em in.

6 hours ago, StevO said:

After reading the article about how his 442 moves around with and without the ball he seemed to play exactly that. I think apart from missing a couple of goals that was the best football we’ve played in ages. Some of the movement was brilliant, mixing up play inside and out, it was refreshing. If he can implement that in three or four days I’m even more excited. 

It was really interesting to see how the players transitioned from their defensive to offensive positions. Not much changed with the two in the middle but from the highlights it looked like Sidibe stayed very wide and then Bernard and Richarlison took up positions behind DCL who spear headed the attack. It seemed as though most of our best attacks came from those two in between the Burnley lines with DCL keeping the centre backs deep.

4 hours ago, nogs said:

The change in Bernard was massive. It was almost as if he was given a free role to drift inside as he liked and as a result he had a real impact on the game. The movement off the ball was excellent too. 

To be fair, it's exactly how he should be played. He isn't a traditional winger so he needs to come inside and drift into those half spaces especially with Digne in behind flying down the touchline. His best games came in those positions last season.

1 hour ago, nogs said:

He certainly stuck with what he knows yesterday then! Be interesting to see if he fancies Richarlison in the LM role like the article suggests and gives Kean a go up top with DCL - like I said, thought it suited Bernard really well. We must be prioritising a CB in January, I wonder if he'll see Holgate as an option at RB if he gets one? Think he'd be better suited to switching back into CB than Coleman. 

I'm not sure if he would play Richarlison the same way. Richarlison is a direct player,  running with the ball and taking shots as opposed to Bernard who is more creative and links the defence or midfield to the attack. I would expect to see Richarlison more suited to a role where he has more opportunity to finish than create. Same with Walcott (whereas Iwobi is more in the Bernard mould). 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

After I first read that article I said to my mate that Holgate could be ideal in that role. To be fair, I thought Coleman was fantastic. Could be a new lease of life for him. 
I want to see more of Bernard in the same position too. He was electric when he came inside. 

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was really interesting to see how the players transitioned from their defensive to offensive positions. Not much changed with the two in the middle but from the highlights it looked like Sidibe stayed very wide and then Bernard and Richarlison took up positions behind DCL who spear headed the attack. It seemed as though most of our best attacks came from those two in between the Burnley lines with DCL keeping the centre backs deep.

It was like the team pivoted around the two midfield players. I couldn’t help but think how much more could we get out of that team if Gomes was fit? 
Bernard did a great job backing up Digne in defence, and then causing problems inside on the attack. Some of his running was brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure if he would play Richarlison the same way. Richarlison is a direct player,  running with the ball and taking shots as opposed to Bernard who is more creative and links the defence or midfield to the attack. I would expect to see Richarlison more suited to a role where he has more opportunity to finish than create. Same with Walcott (whereas Iwobi is more in the Bernard mould). 

What you'd get with Richarlison playing the LM role is a different kind of threat - cutting inside on his right to shoot, or arriving at the back post to head in crosses which I reckon he does better from a wide position than when he plays centrally. It's also an option if Ancellotti can either get Kean going or buys an out and out goalscorer. 

What I'm thinking writing this is that suddey we do seem to have options, a month ago I had no idea what system suited our squad! 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

What you'd get with Richarlison playing the LM role is a different kind of threat - cutting inside on his right to shoot, or arriving at the back post to head in crosses which I reckon he does better from a wide position than when he plays centrally. It's also an option if Ancellotti can either get Kean going or buys an out and out goalscorer. 

What I'm thinking writing this is that suddey we do seem to have options, a month ago I had no idea what system suited our squad! 

A lot of people forgot all about the options we have injured. We do need a goal scorer though, that's where we struggle. Look at the likes of Leicester with Vardy or Wolves with Jiminez. If we aren't scoring goals from midfield we need a goal scorer up top. 

Also still need a real CB to take charge, preferably a ball player. Once Gomes if fit the centre of midfield will get us by, its at the opposite ends of the pitch where we lack. 

I think our most important positions are the midfield and wings.  Gomes and gbamin both injured it sucks but we need a solid player there.  If both were fit maybe not but as it is now we do.  That would be first priority in January.  Second would be a right winger.  Walcott is awful. I don’t like richarlison there (CF or LW for me) or Bernard (LW or AM) there.  Iwobi is awful.  So that leaves no one.  

those 2.  I like Mina and holgate, I like keane as a backup.  See how holgate does the rest of the campaign before going all out CB in the summer if need be.

For me, our priority should be a central defender. We currently have only 3 which is a worry. Keane is not good enough, Holgate shows potential, but I would like someone more established to take the place alongside Mina. Next in line should be a central midfielder. Unfortunately with the injuries of Gomes and Gbamin we're cut short in that area until the end of the season. That should be enough for now. We rather not sign too many new faces, unless we shift some of the dead wood, but that's unlikely to happen.

Powerful centre mid, experienced centre half and an experienced striker who is used to playing in a 4-4-2. 

Keane needs to go, he'd be 4th choice if we bring someone in so it'd be hard to justify having a player on his wages not even on the bench, likewise Sigurdssen if he's not in the match day plans. If we bring in a striker Tosun and/or Niasse should be moved on as well. 

Has to be a CB top of the list. No way Keane can be trusted playing out from the back the way we were doing v Burnley. It was always madness going into the season with just 3 anyway, we've been lucky Holgate has progressed the way he has. 

My missus heard something on radio about Ancellotti saying a forward wouldn't be a priority and he was happy with what he had for now. I imagine a CM would just be a stop gap loan deal with Gomes and Gbamin to come back. January isn't the time for major surgery I wouldn't be surprised if we only make one or two signings 

34 minutes ago, nogs said:

Has to be a CB top of the list. No way Keane can be trusted playing out from the back the way we were doing v Burnley. It was always madness going into the season with just 3 anyway, we've been lucky Holgate has progressed the way he has. 

My missus heard something on radio about Ancellotti saying a forward wouldn't be a priority and he was happy with what he had for now. I imagine a CM would just be a stop gap loan deal with Gomes and Gbamin to come back. January isn't the time for major surgery I wouldn't be surprised if we only make one or two signings 

It didn’t even sound like we’d look for a new forward in the summer. Obviously that would change if we sold any of them though.

Hopefully we go all out for some creativity in the summer. It’s doable. Look at Leicester getting Tielemans. 

30 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It didn’t even sound like we’d look for a new forward in the summer. Obviously that would change if we sold any of them though.

Hopefully we go all out for some creativity in the summer. It’s doable. Look at Leicester getting Tielemans. 

Linked with Insigne this morning but could just be lazy journalism

2 hours ago, nogs said:

I agree about the centre half. I think StevO mentioned that he could see Holgate as the right centre back/right back position and I would agree with that too but we definitely need someone else to play alongside Mina, someone who can play and also has pace.

A midfield loan option is a great idea, no idea who that might be, but it would be exactly what we need. The difficult thing is they would need to hit the ground running.

Ancellotti has said he hasn't put any pressure on the board to sign a striker as our current strikers are good enough. I think there is an element of that which suggests he is keeping them all sweet but realistically if we are going to play with 2 strikers then the bunch we have our. The problems come if we want to go back to playing one striker, where none of them have shown themselves effective enough in the past, week in week out.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Ancellotti has said he hasn't put any pressure on the board to sign a striker as our current strikers are good enough. I think there is an element of that which suggests he is keeping them all sweet but realistically if we are going to play with 2 strikers then the bunch we have our. The problems come if we want to go back to playing one striker, where none of them have shown themselves effective enough in the past, week in week out.

I personally don't think the time is right for us to sign a striker as adding someone in January would just mean less opportunities for DCL (who has proven in the past month that he's got something about him) and Moise Kean who Carlo clearly fancies. I'd prefer us to work with those two as much as we can and develop them for next season than risk a chunk of our budget on someone who might help in the short term but do the opposite for the next few years. 

At the moment we have too many strikers as it is, we've got DCL, Kean, Tosun, Niasse and Sandro on the books so adding a sixth would be insane business. I think what we should be prioritising is getting rid of Sandro in the summer (I'd honestly look at a mutual termination) and one of either Tosun and Niasse. Ideally giving us one as a back-up to Dom and Moise with the option to then bring somebody in once Carlo has had enough time to evaluate his options and after trimming down the squad size and wage budget. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Could be a red herring, why let everyone know what you’re plans are. 

On the flip side, this could well be the idea behind closed doors. Who knows.

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Could be a red herring, why let everyone know what you’re plans are. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

If we announce we are after a striker and players etc it puts us in a position where prices will be sky high.... play it down....  

You guys do realise that Brands will be in contact with plenty of agents and clubs across the world in respect of their players. You do also realise that everyone knows who plays for our side and where our strengths and weaknesses lie.

If we wanted a certain player, I would hope that they would know about it long before Carlo comes out in the press and says that he hasn't asked for a striker. You should note that he hasn't even said we wont sign a striker, just that he hasn't demanded one from the board.

This isnt Carlo playing any games, you using smoke and mirrors, he is just answering a question aimed at disrupting the strikers confidence at a key point in the season.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

You guys do realise that Brands will be in contact with plenty of agents and clubs across the world in respect of their players. You do also realise that everyone knows who plays for our side and where our strengths and weaknesses lie.

If we wanted a certain player, I would hope that they would know about it long before Carlo comes out in the press and says that he hasn't asked for a striker. You should note that he hasn't even said we wont sign a striker, just that he hasn't demanded one from the board.

This isnt Carlo playing any games, you using smoke and mirrors, he is just answering a question aimed at disrupting the strikers confidence at a key point in the season.

The point is... there are more reasons not to disclose any aims or plans than to do so..... 

Do we for one minute think that transfers are made up day by day? No. 

Do players get bought when there was no initial intention to buy them? Yes. Cantona perfect example. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The point is... there are more reasons not to disclose any aims or plans than to do so..... 

Do we for one minute think that transfers are made up day by day? No. 

Do players get bought when there was no initial intention to buy them? Yes. Cantona perfect example. 

That’s spot on just look at how many players get mentioned in our transfer thread that we don’t even make an approach for.

Then what would seem out of the blue we buy someone that no one had a clue about   in a position we didn’t feel we we’re looking for, I think that happen because we’ve kept our cards close to our chest without alerting others of our plans. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Should have stuck with Allardyce the press said. Get back in your box the press said. Don’t aim too high the press said. 

43 shots on goal in two games! 
Break the fucking box and aim high!

Fucking right steveo. Probably match of the day will be saying West Ham should have pulled the plug so Carlo would have gone there. We are the millwall of the establishment for some reason. Just being on the touchline gives us gravitas. His game management is a joy to see 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Should have stuck with Allardyce the press said. Get back in your box the press said. Don’t aim too high the press said. 

43 shots on goal in two games! 
Break the fucking box and aim high!

Wow what a stat.  What a difference a top quality manager makes.  43 shots on goal, wow.