IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

30 minutes ago, Cisk said:

Neither does our board by the looks of it.

Our short list is about 16 long now and we're looking at our 8th choice at the moment 🙄

Yep. Sinking ship for weeks on end and they don't have anyone lined up before he leaves. Not a clue. Its a shame it runs so deep because it makes me feel like we're in the shit for the long term. 

s

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 17:56, markjazzbassist said:

name a manager that has been successful in english football (recently) that is realistic for us?  i don't know of any.  

Wasn't ignoring your post Mark. I was trying to make the point that having had success in other leagues doesn't guarantee it here, hence reference to our past 3 foreign managers. Just don't want us to be a laughing stock again in 18 months. Ancelotti might be in the frame now and I'd take that, otherwise stability for a year or two and powers that be to seriously identify who they want. If it means Moyes, so be it.

Edited by Gwlad all over
Grammar or I will be ticked off by our language teacher!!

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Even if we get a new manager I'd let them have a break before they start and leave Ferguson in charge until the FA cup 3rd round. Christmas fixtures are hectic enough a new manager wouldn't be much more than a figure head whilst he learns the squad whereas Ferguson knows what each lad is capable of. 

Like this idea Pete0

21 hours ago, Haiku said:

Sevilla has never been a top club. The man has won Europa League and still managed to finish in a respectable position within the league in a very long season and then he did it again and again. Bear in mind Europa League has two more matches to be played before reaching the final compared to CL. It's exhausing as fuck and unless you got two world class players on each position, as Barcelona and Real do, its absolutely impossible to compete for multiple silverware on domestic and continental stage. Sevilla never had the potential to break the top 3, and what he did is the bare maximum that could be delivered. As for PSG, he won everything that could be won in France in these two seasons he was in charge, except of course the league title he lost once.

I agree with some of that. It's definitely hard to keep a team going for that long but cups are much easier to manage than league campaigns. If a team was that good to win 3 Europa leagues on the trot in my opinion they should have been able to do more domestically especially when you get outside the top 3 teams. He did get Valencia into 3rd a couple of times so I'm certainly not saying he can't manage a team for a league campaign but it's hard graft over here, the games come thick and fast, it's intense. Some managers just can't get the same out of their players on these shores because of it and that is my worry with him. Even his Arsenal side started well, but then they dropped further and further back. Yes he doesn't have a defence or much of a midfield but he can adapt and play a different way which he hasn't done. 

In France he was expected to win every league and domestic trophy. A bit like Brendan Rodgers at Celtic, there is one thought that says well yes you should win everything you compete in domestically but then you say well actually it isn't easy to win any league, which showed when they slipped up against Monaco (albeit a decent side).

He is one of the where I can see him doing really well at another club, but the jury would be out on whether it would be here, or England at all in my opinion. 

14 hours ago, Makis said:

He was competing in the same league with Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, though. Those clubs operate in their own league.

Then after that it is a much of a muchness. Same as when he was in France or over here in fact. The best manager in this country outside of Klopp and Pep should be finishing 3rd. 

12 minutes ago, barryj said:

A ridiculously negative article that sounds like it was written by a koppite. The "..playing in a stadium that, to be kind, is creaking." comment shows the writer is either anti-Blue or just plain stupid.

54 minutes ago, Haiku said:

We rather leave Dunc in charge until the end of the season and then check reality again.

I agree, if we can’t get a permanent manager. There is still just under 60% of the season left so there is loads to play for. I think in the short term Dunc will do ok but my gut instinct is that the intensity (I sound like Martinez 😂) seen at the weekend won’t be replicated after a few games and he’ll need more than the change of manager syndrome / fist clenching. He may deliver this but in my humble opinion he won’t. 

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Mad the way the media are acting like Moyes is a really good option for us. Once West Ham are looking for a new manager I bet the reporting is vastly different on their hunt. 

3 hours ago, barryj said:

I agree, if we can’t get a permanent manager. There is still just under 60% of the season left so there is loads to play for. I think in the short term Dunc will do ok but my gut instinct is that the intensity (I sound like Martinez 😂) seen at the weekend won’t be replicated after a few games and he’ll need more than the change of manager syndrome / fist clenching. He may deliver this but in my humble opinion he won’t. 

I fear this as well. I would love to be proven wrong though!

3 hours ago, barryj said:

While I fear the same, successive wins over Chelsea and United ought to seal him the position until January. We can revisit at that time based on how the holiday season pans out. If we continue to win, then give him the balance of the season. If it's true that we have someone lined up at the end of the season, it would fit with Brands' plans. There's no need to rush: Take it step by step.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

While I fear the same, successive wins over Chelsea and United ought to seal him the position until January. We can revisit at that time based on how the holiday season pans out. If we continue to win, then give him the balance of the season. If it's true that we have someone lined up at the end of the season, it would fit with Brands' plans. There's no need to rush: Take it step by step.

Exactly, a result against Utd should prove we are in safe hands until Brands gets the man he wants, and not the man Moshiri wants.