Sign in to follow this  
Cisk

Carlo Ancelotti

29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was the only relevant reference as I could think of before going back to work 😂

I'm somewhat ashamed of the fact (that I let slip) that I used to watch it; albeit not in the the last twenty years or so in my defence:unsure:

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

I'm somewhat ashamed of the fact (that I let slip) that I used to watch it; albeit not in the the last twenty years or so in my defence:unsure:

Very depressing programme. They all look like they need a wash. 

17 hours ago, MikeO said:

😳 I’m sure you were forced into by the wife🤫

19 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Really hope they appeal. Kick up a proper stink. The refs over here have had it all far too easy. Not arsed how hard the job can be, only ask they are fair and consistent. Clearly they are bias and it needs addressing. 

They'll just make an example of us unfortunately. We need to box clever in these situations. It's on the football pitch we can do the most damage, I'd be instructing our players to play on the very edges of the rules. The big teams don't think twice about injuring our players, we should go out and do the same. Start leaving one on them.

We can start surrounding the refs like the big teams do, again on the edge of the rules, and try to intimidate them.

Our players get clobbered every week and have no protection from the officials. If we start snapping the opposition and cause a few injuries then that is just within the scope of the game. No different to diving because the refs allow it.

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I see they have gone ahead and charged him so he will definitely be banned for the Chelsea match unless we appeal and risk a longer ban.

Gotta protect that integrity hey Scudamore!

From what I read he's not going to get a ban, just an £8,000 fine which might be increased to £12,000 if he appeals and fails. Pocket change.

13 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

They'll just make an example of us unfortunately. We need to box clever in these situations. It's on the football pitch we can do the most damage, I'd be instructing our players to play on the very edges of the rules. The big teams don't think twice about injuring our players, we should go out and do the same. Start leaving one on them.

We can start surrounding the refs like the big teams do, again on the edge of the rules, and try to intimidate them.

Our players get clobbered every week and have no protection from the officials. If we start snapping the opposition and cause a few injuries then that is just within the scope of the game. No different to diving because the refs allow it.

They always make an example of us, Niasse being the first to get the three match ban, nothing since then as AFIK.  I do t want us to start injuring other players, let’s play them off the park instead, yes put in hard tackles but not at the expense of getting sent off, cos we all know our players will.

We need to be much smarter and vocal at the right time, on Sunday we should have been challenging the decision for a penalty on Siggy as he put his shot in, Maguire was in the refs ear all game long.

I'd appeal and appeal....

Ancellotti was doing no different to what Maguire and the United players were all game.... their player laid their hands on the ref.... time to really get at them. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I'd appeal and appeal....

Ancellotti was doing no different to what Maguire and the United players were all game.... their player laid their hands on the ref.... time to really get at them. 

A little thing that really irritated me is that Garth Crooks included Maguire in his team of the week. Can you believe that? Salt in wound.

28 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

A little thing that really irritated me is that Garth Crooks included Maguire in his team of the week. Can you believe that? Salt in wound.

Tbf I'd love him to be in my team playing like that.  Pain in the arse when it's an opponent.

20 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

They always make an example of us, Niasse being the first to get the three match ban, nothing since then as AFIK.  I do t want us to start injuring other players, let’s play them off the park instead, yes put in hard tackles but not at the expense of getting sent off, cos we all know our players will.

We need to be much smarter and vocal at the right time, on Sunday we should have been challenging the decision for a penalty on Siggy as he put his shot in, Maguire was in the refs ear all game long.

Utd didn't care about the welfare of our players when they kicked Coleman off the pitch and attempted to kick Richarlison off the pitch. Spurs were defended when they kicked Gomes off the pitch. I'm sick of our players getting injured in games and nothing being done about it. I feel nothing for the opposite side anymore.

I'm not saying deliberately set out to injure a player but if in the incident that we challenge for the ball in a more aggressive way that they do get hurt then so be it. I also am saying we should target individual players for rough housing tactics, specifically if they are prone to retaliating in a daft way and getting themselves sent off.

Utd had 2 defenders booked and after that it was like we didn't bother to run at them again. Get them to commit another foul and risk a red card. It's all within the rules of the game.

2 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/03/carlo-ancelotti-orders-everton-backroom-staff-to-improve-their-english

Ancelotti’s comments on midfield combos, and need for more “energy.”  Does “energy” mean pace, toughness, relentlessness, what?

Energy is spot on..... it covers much of what it we miss.

Energy to get in the right shape, energy to close down and tackle, energy to show for a pass, energy to break..... not hiding.

We miss Ganas energy, look at billy Gilmour last night.  Only a kid, such bravery to want the ball..... win it, pass it, make space to receive it, move it.  Brilliant. 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've never been a fan of his.  i player i love with energy is idrissa gana gueye

Gana has energy but not the ability on the ball, I may be wrong but I think Ancelotti is looking for more than just a ball winner, he wants that a long with vision when in possession and an eye for a goal, basically I think he wants a good all rounder with a good engine on him. 
That’s why I mentioned Henderson I feel he works hard for the team covers a lot of ground, yet possess intelligent passing long and short and has a good shot on him, also Maddison is a good shout imo. 

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

I know not many will like to hear this but a good example of player with energy in midfield is Henderson. 

Very good player. Took his ability and made the absolute most of it.  Yeah, he epitomizes energy.  Unbelievable athlete, 100% effort every game and you know when he's not playing. 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

They're still saying it was disallowed because of offside but surely it can't be offside if a defender got the last touch.

The moment the ball is played forward, Sigurdsson is offside so it doesn’t matter that it hit the defender. If the defender had control of the ball and passed it back then there wouldn’t be any offside.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

They're still saying it was disallowed because of offside but surely it can't be offside if a defender got the last touch.

Bill there were a few things that the offside rule clearly states it was not off side, as you say there player got the last touch, the keepers view wasn’t obscured, and Gylfi made no attempt to play the ball he actually did the complete opposite. 
We were robbed by the incompetence of VAR and I’m still totally gutted by what’s happened. 

25 minutes ago, c1982 said:

The moment the ball is played forward, Sigurdsson is offside so it doesn’t matter that it hit the defender. If the defender had control of the ball and passed it back then there wouldn’t be any offside.

True enough, the fact that it was an involuntary touch by slabhead makes it irrelevant; if he'd have made an intentional swing at it and the result had been the same then Gylfi would've been played "on". Still think it should've stood though.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

True enough, the fact that it was an involuntary touch by slabhead makes it irrelevant; if he'd have made an intentional swing at it and the result had been the same then Gylfi would've been played "on". Still think it should've stood though.

I’m for VAR in theory but it just seems like Premier League make it up as they go along. The lineman and ref gave the goal and then it was disallowed by VAR. They keep saying that they’ll back the ref and only overturn clear and obvious errors. This wasn’t clear and obvious in that it’s down to the interpretation of ‘in the field of view’. So it should have stood. Add this to the blatant penalty on Siggy 5 seconds prior that in my opinion they didn’t review at the time but later said they did when asked by the Everton interested media. I say they didn’t review it as at the ground there was no ‘checking for penalty’ VAR screen only ‘checking goal’ (& that it was such a clear goal that a blind man with patches over both his eyes at night could have seen it). 

It’s alright though, it’s only little old Everton. 

10 hours ago, c1982 said:

This is and has been the rule since the offside rule was invented as far as I know. 

Similar to the Shits goal in the 80’s euro final. Was it McDermot lying on the floor injured when they scored? The opposition cries for offside, but the goal was given. The big difference was he was to the side and not involved at all.

But for me Gylfi didn’t make any impact on the outcome and the goal should have stood.

10 hours ago, barryj said:

I’m for VAR in theory but it just seems like Premier League make it up as they go along. The lineman and ref gave the goal and then it was disallowed by VAR. They keep saying that they’ll back the ref and only overturn clear and obvious errors. This wasn’t clear and obvious in that it’s down to the interpretation of ‘in the field of view’. So it should have stood. Add this to the blatant penalty on Siggy 5 seconds prior that in my opinion they didn’t review at the time but later said they did when asked by the Everton interested media. I say they didn’t review it as at the ground there was no ‘checking for penalty’ VAR screen only ‘checking goal’ (& that it was such a clear goal that a blind man with patches over both his eyes at night could have seen it). 

It’s alright though, it’s only little old Everton. 

Basically, we're big enough for the authorities to make an example of (not just on this, we've been done on a few other things as we know) but not big enough that we can actually do anything about it.

We're the perfect club for the FA/PL.

13 hours ago, c1982 said:

No your wrong, how many times have we seen players walking back from an offside position while on of their own men run past and play the ball. Your not offside until you play the ball and Siggy didn't.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

No your wrong, how many times have we seen players walking back from an offside position while on of their own men run past and play the ball. Your not offside until you play the ball and Siggy didn't.

Or interfere with play by obstructing the keepers view and he clearly never did that, as the keeper moves to his right to save the shot indicating he had a clear view of DCL and the ball at all times. 

21 hours ago, Bill said:

Or interfere with play as Palfy points out. I don’t think he was interfering with play but that’s the reason the ref/VAR has disallowed it.

The example you’re giving is when players ahead of the game are not interfering with play.

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

Or interfere with play by obstructing the keepers view and he clearly never did that, as the keeper moves to his right to save the shot indicating he had a clear view of DCL and the ball at all times. 

Exactly!

C1982, the result of var at the match came up on the giant screen as no goal - offside.  In an interview 15 minutes after the game the reason had changed to - in line of the goalies vision.  Both explanations where wrong. I say again.... We got stuffed by VAR.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

C1982, the result of var at the match came up on the giant screen as no goal - offside.  In an interview 15 minutes after the game the reason had changed to - in line of the goalies vision.  Both explanations where wrong. I say again.... We got stuffed by VAR.

It hadn't, the reason for the goal (wrongly) not being given was offside however it was explained. There was no way they could've put "no goal - offside because Sigurðsson was in an offside position and obstructing the goalkeepers view" on the screen.

That said you're right, we got stuffed by VAR.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Offside/ in goalie’s vision are exactly the same explanation of why it was disallowed. I haven’t disagreed about us being stuffed by VAR - we were as I don’t think Gylfi affected the play - as rightly said de Gea was already wrong footed.

Your original post said, ‘They're still saying it was disallowed because of offside but surely it can't be offside if a defender got the last touch.’

I merely pointed out that, it was a deflection and if the ref/VAR (wrongly) saw Gylfi as offside and interfering in play then it CAN be offside if the defender got the last touch with it being a deflection.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

It hadn't, the reason for the goal (wrongly) not being given was offside however it was explained. There was no way they could've put "no goal - offside because Sigurðsson was in an offside position and obstructing the goalkeepers view" on the screen.

That said you're right, we got stuffed by VAR.

But if Siggy had just gotten up and moved we wouldn’t have (even if he was fouled). I’m a fan of his and I’m trying to give him a chance to prove everyone wrong but when he does things like that he’s not helping us or his defense. 

Can somebody tell me what the fuck the last sentence means….... Made an obvious action that impacted de gea's ability to make a save. !!!

A statement read: "In the 91st minute of Everton v Manchester United , Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s goal was disallowed following a VAR Review for an offside offence against Gylfi Sigurdsson.

"The on-field decision was to award the goal, but the VAR advised the referee that Sigurdsson was in an offside position directly in the line of vision of David de Gea and made an obvious action that impacted de Gea’s ability to make a save."

Bad day at the office. We still have an inferiority complex against the typical top 6 sides. We've seen this for years, so it ain't gonna change in a matter of months under anyone.

It's more frustrating when we were edging so close to the top 6. We can still make it but it's a tough ask.

Still, massively glad to have Carlo here and really looking forward to the Summer when he gets a fair chance in the market. That midfield needs urgent attention. I think, hope, we plough big funds into the midfield because, in my opinion, sorting that area out will make a huge difference alone.

Thought he got it wrong today and was naive in the way he set the team up. The players were awful, but I think he needs to take responsibility. 

More to the point he talks about still wanting to compete for Europe, however refuses to leave sigurdsson out of the squad when he obviously brings nothing to the team and keeps chopping and changing the CBs. Its clear our best pairing is Holgate and Mina. On top of that I feel Mina would have been a much more sensible choice to compete with giroud today. 

Personally I think today just showed how poor the depth of our squad is, Ancelotti is trying to put a team out with players who just aren’t good enough, and due to injuries and with players who are not properly fit we are being exposed. 
The good thing is he can see who is worth keeping and who needs to go, and unfortunately we have just as many who are bad than good. 
Our defence struggled today because our midfield offered them no protection what so ever Davies Gylfi and Bernard were all poor and Gomes wasn’t much better, I would keep Gomes and bin the other 3, Sidibe just isn’t good enough at looking after the ball, and Digne needs to be sold before his value it’s the floor, he does very little as a defender and zilch going forward. 
So we need a minimum 3 MF a RB a LB and a CD, nothing that another couple of hundred million wouldn’t buy us so it’s looking like a 2 year project for Ancelotti just to try and assemble the sort of team he wants. 

6 minutes ago, johnh said:

It doesn't matter how good a manager is, (and Ancelotti is good, ) if he doesn't have the players, there is only so much he can do.  We don't have the players, end of.

agreed.  we have players from 4 managers ago.  we need an overhaul this summer.

You can tell Ancelotti is a class manager he never panic bought in the January transfer window, he’s taken his time to look properly at what he’s got so he knows exactly what he needs. 
Every manager we have had since Martinez has come in and spent big before they’ve properly got their feet under the table, Ancelotti is different he is evaluating and when he eventually buys I believe they will fit. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

You can tell Ancelotti is a class manager he never panic bought in the January transfer window, he’s taken his time to look properly at what he’s got so he knows exactly what he needs. 
Every manager we have had since Martinez has come in and spent big before they’ve properly got their feet under the table, Ancelotti is different he is evaluating and when he eventually buys I believe they will fit. 

yeah, i hope we make some moves this summer though, we need to badly.