Sign in to follow this  
Cisk

Carlo Ancelotti

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You keep confusing me about the fucking timeline when you say Dunc. It was Unsworth. Sort it out, Shukes! :lol: 

On the subject of the Bisto tits, though. Did he really steady the ship and make us defensively sound? We took a few walloppings while he was in charge. He should never have arrived but the day he left was a brilliant day.

Haha it all makes sense now. I was getting confused why people were questioning me hahaha! 
I should just give up 😂

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha it all makes sense now. I was getting confused why people were questioning me hahaha! 
I should just give up 😂

😂😂😂 you nutter I was thinking are we talking about the same thing.  

54 minutes ago, Palfy said:

😂😂😂 you nutter I was thinking are we talking about the same thing.  

Hahaha I thought everyone else had gone nuts!!!! But as usual.... it’s just me haha!

For the record Ferguson didn't want the job.... he would have done it but it was making him ill.  He was made up to get Carlo in.... night and day difference to anyone we've had in 20+ years. 

Everton have won all six competitive home matches versus Bournemouth - including four in the Premier League - by an aggregate score of 20-7.

The three points and goals will be missed. 

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has had a league-high 21 shots without scoring since the Premier League's resumption.

Hopefully Dom can find the net today and finish on a high note today without this stat looming over him. 

We got 30 points from 21 games under Ancelotti. Over the whole season with that ratio we would have finished 11th. 

Let's also be honest and say we didnt deserve most of the points we did get post lockdown, bar maybe the Sheffield Utd game. 

A lot needs to change ahead of next season and I am sure those at the top of the club probably don't even know where to start. 

5 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Just wondering whether Carlo might want his own choice of captain next season.

There’s no need to change the captain really. 
Baines won’t be in the team, Gylfi will either be gone or replaced. That leaves Coleman and Digne, if Coleman is replaced there’s no issue with Digne being captain in that situation. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

100%, Goodison is becoming the graveyard for managers who thought no job was to hard for them.  

One of the more stupid comments I've seen reading through the board. The Moshiri era has been filled with managers using Everton as a promotion, as opposed to thinking that a job was not too hard for them or stepping down to come here as you've hinted. 

Silva was managing Watford, who are now in the Championship with his previous clubs being Hull City, Sporting and Olympiacos. Hardly on the level of us. 

Allardyce had a great tenure at Bolton, but had been bumbling around relegation fodder before coming to us - again, at the time that he joined us, we were like winning the lottery for him. 

Koeman was the same as Silva, did poorly with Valencia and was managing a Southampton side that was not on the same level as us. 

Ancelotti has been the only manager I'd describe as being an out of this world appointment. Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce and Silva all stepped up from their current employers to come here. 

I'd honestly like to hear what reasoning you have for such a negative view, unless it was just having a moan for moanings sake?

16 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

One of the more stupid comments I've seen reading through the board. The Moshiri era has been filled with managers using Everton as a promotion, as opposed to thinking that a job was not too hard for them or stepping down to come here as you've hinted. 

Silva was managing Watford, who are now in the Championship with his previous clubs being Hull City, Sporting and Olympiacos. Hardly on the level of us. 

Allardyce had a great tenure at Bolton, but had been bumbling around relegation fodder before coming to us - again, at the time that he joined us, we were like winning the lottery for him. 

Koeman was the same as Silva, did poorly with Valencia and was managing a Southampton side that was not on the same level as us. 

Ancelotti has been the only manager I'd describe as being an out of this world appointment. Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce and Silva all stepped up from their current employers to come here. 

I'd honestly like to hear what reasoning you have for such a negative view, unless it was just having a moan for moanings sake?

I’ve hinted nothing you have just assumed.  My comment was slightly tongue in cheek with the graveyard element, my main point was that a few managers have tried and failed, and as was said before my post if any team could break Ancelotti it would be us. Also how can you accuse Koeman or Silva of using Everton they were courted by Moshiri, Koeman week’s before Martinez was sacked, and Silva over 7-8 month period, neither of them applied for the vacant managers job. 

On 26/07/2020 at 11:16, StevO said:

There’s no need to change the captain really. 
Baines won’t be in the team, Gylfi will either be gone or replaced. That leaves Coleman and Digne, if Coleman is replaced there’s no issue with Digne being captain in that situation. 

Holgate please.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Honestly, I think it should be Richarlison. Think it would be beneficial to him and be never stops trying. Would be happy with Digne though 

I would question his maturity on the pitch. A captain needs to be level headed. Its a tough one though as it might make Richarlison mature which would be great. Risky.

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

That’s exactly why I want to give it to him. He would have to step up and I think he can do it. He acts like a brat because he’s been allowed too and been rewarded for it. But if he had to act like a leader, like he acts off the pitch, I think he would rise to the challenge and be an even bigger success 

sounds like you have had people work under you before matt, you sound like a good manager.

31 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

sounds like you have had people work under you before matt, you sound like a good manager.

I’ve never accepted the positions, but I’ve been a team lead since I was 23 all over Europe so I’ve learnt a bit. Always put my team first, which has often resulted in them getting promoted and me held back. Irritating sometimes but when I see what middle management has to deal with, I think I’m best avoiding it because I’m too honest with people to play the necessary game. 

but anyway, thank you for the compliment. Made my day :) 

On 28/07/2020 at 15:56, Matt said:

I’ve never accepted the positions, but I’ve been a team lead since I was 23 all over Europe so I’ve learnt a bit. Always put my team first, which has often resulted in them getting promoted and me held back. Irritating sometimes but when I see what middle management has to deal with, I think I’m best avoiding it because I’m too honest with people to play the necessary game. 

but anyway, thank you for the compliment. Made my day :) 

Mark’s always been prone to slight exaggeration 😜 Hope I haven’t ruined your day Matt 🙈

39 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Mark’s always been prone to slight exaggeration 😜 Hope I haven’t ruined your day Matt 🙈

I’m in Interlaken for 4 days for my birthday and anniversary weekend mate. Glorious sunshine and about to go out on a lake tour

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’m in Interlaken for 4 days for my birthday and anniversary weekend mate. Glorious sunshine and about to go out on a lake tour

Ok I lose, you have a wonderful time mate and happy birthday Matt. 
You’ve been a bit of a jet setter of late mate I can hardly keep up with where you’re going to be next. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Ok I lose, you have a wonderful time mate and happy birthday Matt. 
You’ve been a bit of a jet setter of late mate I can hardly keep up with where you’re going to be next. 

Camping whilst there’s still a bit of money and E isn’t in school. Everywhere we’ve been since we got back from Liverpool is a 90 min drive for us :) 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Camping whilst there’s still a bit of money and E isn’t in school. Everywhere we’ve been since we got back from Liverpool is a 90 min drive for us :) 

👍 living the dream mate 🙂

14 hours ago, Matt said:

You back in Switzerland mate?

Carlo Ancelotti: 'Deadwood, mismanagement & a total rebuild' - is this his biggest challenge?

Carlo Ancelotti arrived at Everton in December, the perfect answer to owner Farhad Moshiri's long-held ambition to have his own "Hollywood manager" in the north-west.

One of only three managers to win the European Cup/Champions League three times alongside Liverpool's Bob Paisley and Real Madrid's Zinedine Zidane, Ancelotti was taking on a different type of assignment after being sacked by Napoli.

Everton required major renewal whereas Ancelotti's previous speciality had been as a facilitator of world-class players, earning the label 'the diva whisperer' for his ability to soothe the ego while coaxing stellar performances from high-maintenance personalities.

His early coaching days were at Reggiana and Parma in Italy - but does Everton represent his hardest job?

Kevin Ratcliffe, Everton's most successful captain after leading them to two titles, the FA Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup in the mid-1980s, told BBC Sport: "Your first job in management is always your toughest because you are trying to make your mark and prove yourself but this might be his toughest since.
"In the past he has maybe plugged holes and had great players but Everton have got big, big holes and no great players. It is really a total rebuild."

Everton's season ended with dismal performances, especially away to Wolverhampton Wanderers and at home to Bournemouth, but Ancelotti's overall results offered some encouragement and ensured safety with a Premier League finish of 12th.

'Unfit for purpose' - what are Ancelotti's priorities?

Ancelotti's priorities were laid bare in a painful last few games, particularly in a midfield that is arguably the worst in recent Everton history, with Tom Davies and Andre Gomes struggling badly and Gylfi Sigurdsson flouting his billing as a £45m creative influence.

This key area needs a complete overhaul.

Everton's current midfield is unfit for purpose, lacking energy while offering little supply to strikers Richarlison and Dominic Calvert-Lewin and no protection for Ancelotti's defence.

Ratcliffe says: "When Everton played against teams that had more energy, they struggled. 
"If I look at that midfield there is no legs. Where is the energy, the composure on the ball?"

Is Pickford now a serious problem? 

England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, undisputed number one since his £30m move from Sunderland three seasons ago, had a dreadful campaign highlighted by a series of high-profile blunders.

In the past three seasons, he is top of the list for mistakes by Premier League keepers that have led to goals with 10, alongside Asmir Begovic. He had an outstanding first season on Merseyside but there is no doubt he has regressed to such an extent his England place is now up for debate.

Ratcliffe said: "Have a look at his competition. It's not very good

"The people he trains with are not making him better. He should be improving. He needs more pressure on him.

"He has had Maarten Stekelenburg, Jonas Lossl and young Joao Virginia as his competition. I wouldn't want any of those reserve goalkeepers playing on a regular basis for Everton. It might sound harsh but standards must be high."

Ancelotti must solve years of mismanagement

Ancelotti agreed a four-and-a-half-year deal worth a reported £9m per annum. It will take much of that term to turn this dysfunctional Everton around.

Since majority shareholder Moshiri bought into Everton in February 2016, he has sacked Roberto Martinez, Ronald Koeman, Sam Allardyce and latterly Marco Silva.

Dutchman Marcel Brands is now working alongside Ancelotti as director of football.

This will be a key element of Everton's summer but will there have to be compromises in what Ancelotti has already called a "beautiful relationship"?

Brands looks to bring in younger players to develop, increasing in value. Will Ancelotti still want the more hardened professionals to toughen up this mentally fragile Everton?

The word from inside Everton is that Ancelotti is "totally aligned" with Brands and the board on how they will approach this transfer window.

Ratcliffe said: "Recruitment has let Everton down. They have spent over the odds and paid ridiculous wages for average players.

"The club has been mismanaged with the managers appointed. How did Marco Silva get the Everton job? Where on his CV in the Premier League did it say he was right for that job? He took Hull City down and faded at Watford after a good start.
You look at Gylfi Sigurdsson being signed for £45m. He was signed as a number 10 and is then played on the left wing because Everton already had two number 10s in Wayne Rooney and Davy Klaassen. Where was the thinking there?
Ancelotti and Brands now have a bloated squad where so much deadwood has been assembled some cynics have suggested the club's Finch Farm training HQ is in danger of being labelled a fire hazard.

Who will take Sigurdsson, Fabian Delph, Cenk Tosun, Theo Walcott and even Alex Iwobi, signed for an eye-watering £34m from Arsenal on deadline day last summer?

How long will Ancelotti's rebuild take?

Ancelotti, with his usual measured wisdom, has talked about "evolution" rather than revolution but there is still serious urgency required in this transfer window.

A long, tough road lies ahead.

He has been promised total support in the markets within the parameters of Financial Fair Play. It is not, though, as simple as that.

"Everton have been spending money on players without having a top-class manager," says Ratcliffe.

"Ancelotti is a top-class manager but the biggest problem he has got is trying to recoup some of the money Everton have spent. This will take more than a year.

"He has to look right down the middle. They need an authoritative centre-back, a dominant midfield player, a striker and another wide man.

"It is also difficult to see where the leaders are when they are losing games."And this is why, after years building a reputation as one of the most decorated coaches in the history of the game, Ancelotti now faces a different, herculean task.

The only problem I have with the article above and similar pieces is that they weren't saying this at this point last season when Silva was in charge. In fact many had us getting into Europe and taking advantage of the other sides slipping up. 

Very little has changed in the squad between then and now and yet Silva should have been on the steps to Europe whereas Ancelotti has it all to do. Why is all of the pressure piled upon Silva and yet Ancelotti get ready made excuses? 

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The only problem I have with the article above and similar pieces is that they weren't saying this at this point last season when Silva was in charge. In fact many had us getting into Europe and taking advantage of the other sides slipping up. 

Very little has changed in the squad between then and now and yet Silva should have been on the steps to Europe whereas Ancelotti has it all to do. Why is all of the pressure piled upon Silva and yet Ancelotti get ready made excuses? 

Because Ancelotti has inherited Silva/Koeman/Walsh players and hasn't had a chance to bring in his people. The current is clearly lacking identity, and that's a result of his predecessors. 

The expectation previously was that we had all this money and were spending big so should expect Europe. Now we realize that that's not the only deciding factor. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think there were some glaring issues under Silva - namely defence and set pieces.

Unfortunately for him his reputation didn't carry enough credit to make people focus on the players in the way we should.   

It is clear that the players were the issue, it's also clear that Silva wasn't good enough for us. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Because Ancelotti has inherited Silva/Koeman/Walsh players and hasn't had a chance to bring in his people. The current is clearly lacking identity, and that's a result of his predecessors. 

The expectation previously was that we had all this money and were spending big so should expect Europe. Now we realize that that's not the only deciding factor. 

Does it matter who bought the players etc if the same lot were good enough 12 months ago. Its only recent performance that has changed in that time.

31 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think there were some glaring issues under Silva - namely defence and set pieces.

Unfortunately for him his reputation didn't carry enough credit to make people focus on the players in the way we should.   

It is clear that the players were the issue, it's also clear that Silva wasn't good enough for us. 

Legitimate question here but how do you know Silva wasnt good enough if the players weren't. I get that he was here when some of the players came here but he is only part of that process, as Ancelotti will be.

If Ancelotti fails with these players, which is the case thus far, does that make him not good enough or the players?

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Does it matter who bought the players etc if the same lot were good enough 12 months ago. Its only recent performance that has changed in that time.

Legitimate question here but how do you know Silva wasnt good enough if the players weren't. I get that he was here when some of the players came here but he is only part of that process, as Ancelotti will be.

If Ancelotti fails with these players, which is the case thus far, does that make him not good enough or the players?

A lot changes in 12 months. I think it's pretty easy to fathom that if Carlo was here 12 months ago we would have a couple of different players at least than we have now. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Silva wasn't good enough because we were atrocious defending set pieces.... to a chronic level.  

He made no sense in his interviews and looked lost.... all in all that's enough on its own

I think this job has to be Ancellotti's biggest challenge.  To turn a mediocre team into a good team and then in to a very good or even a great team!!!  That's pretty much his remit. 

I think he has inherited almost the worst type of squad you can get (bar a couple of exceptions) - to many players who are being overpaid in comparison to their ability, manyw have little genuine hunger to prove themselves - they have the massive contracts (that they would not be getting elsewhere), they are not really good enough to be playing in better teams, so happily coasting at been 'ordinary' and average or worse!!. Many have  more than hit their ceiling when we signed them up on big money contracts!!!!

I think it is that little bit more difficult to rebuild when we are going to be kind of stuck with a lot of the players on good money and who will not get a better offer than what they have at Everton  - Gyli,  Bolaise, Tosun, Bernard, Walcott, Gomes, Pickford , Iwobi, MIna, Rameriez, Besic.  That's 11 recent signing I would quite happily see being replaced, but that will not be easy, they will not want to go, and other teams will not want to pay much for them or match their current wages. So as said, the worst type of squad for a rebuild.  

I hope Ancellotti IS able to get a lot more out of the player we already have at the club, but they are not in the bracket of the player he has had to work with in the past - those players had genuine quality - so his job was to get it out of them on a consistent basis. I am not sure the players listed are genuine quality - the are able to do some things well, but flatter to deceive in all honesty.  Not even Ancellotti can make silk purses out of sow's ears. 

I personally don't think this is going to be turned around that quickly (without a bottomless pit of money in order to just take the hit on what we already have), this is going to take 2-3 more seasons to sort out (this COVID business is not going to help at the moment either). I hope this time around we give the manager the time needed - this manager is proven at the top level (which is what we are aspiring for), unlike the last few we have had. It was right to sack those as swiftly as we did, but they where questionable signings in the first place. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

many have little genuine hunger to prove themselves

I think it's a shame because a lot of those who do seem to want to prove themselves are the ones with the least quality. Tosun, Bolasi, Besic all seem hungry, just lack the quality or tactical profile.

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think this job has to be Ancellotti's biggest challenge.  To turn a mediocre team into a good team and then in to a very good or even a great team!!!  That's pretty much his remit. 

I think he has inherited almost the worst type of squad you can get (bar a couple of exceptions) - to many players who are being overpaid in comparison to their ability, manyw have little genuine hunger to prove themselves - they have the massive contracts (that they would not be getting elsewhere), they are not really good enough to be playing in better teams, so happily coasting at been 'ordinary' and average or worse!!. Many have  more than hit their ceiling when we signed them up on big money contracts!!!!

I think it is that little bit more difficult to rebuild when we are going to be kind of stuck with a lot of the players on good money and who will not get a better offer than what they have at Everton  - Gyli,  Bolaise, Tosun, Bernard, Walcott, Gomes, Pickford , Iwobi, MIna, Rameriez, Besic.  That's 11 recent signing I would quite happily see being replaced, but that will not be easy, they will not want to go, and other teams will not want to pay much for them or match their current wages. So as said, the worst type of squad for a rebuild.  

I hope Ancellotti IS able to get a lot more out of the player we already have at the club, but they are not in the bracket of the player he has had to work with in the past - those players had genuine quality - so his job was to get it out of them on a consistent basis. I am not sure the players listed are genuine quality - the are able to do some things well, but flatter to deceive in all honesty.  Not even Ancellotti can make silk purses out of sow's ears. 

I personally don't think this is going to be turned around that quickly (without a bottomless pit of money in order to just take the hit on what we already have), this is going to take 2-3 more seasons to sort out (this COVID business is not going to help at the moment either). I hope this time around we give the manager the time needed - this manager is proven at the top level (which is what we are aspiring for), unlike the last few we have had. It was right to sack those as swiftly as we did, but they where questionable signings in the first place. 

I agree. I think Utd looked like they were going the same way but Ole has since done a pretty good job of weeding out the players he doesn't like and getting the players with the right attitude into the side even if they are a bit limited compared to the ones they got rid of. Arteta is doing the same to some extent already at Arsenal. It sounds like Chelsea will be doing the same this summer. Whether any of them succeed remains to be seen.

With us, I think replacing the midfield will go along way in changing our fortunes. It won't suddenly make us league challengers but it will be the difference between bottom of the table and the best of the rest. If we can then add the 2 or 3 players a season like Brands said he wanted to do when he joined, then after that point, we can gradually edge closer and closer.