IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

Just now, TallPaul1878 said:

He sent out a side with horrifically slow defenders. The goals Liverpool scored weren't well worked Man City style goal, we fucked ourselves because we had no idea how to get a result from this game 

I’ve said it in another thread. Keane was a major problem tonight. Mina looks like he can be a good CB. He just needs a partner. 

4 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yep. All these shouts for some unknown Argentinian or some other big name manager are ludicrous. We need stability, we need a manager who can get results in the League and put us back in the top 10. Any of this nonsense talk about "identity" and "philosophy" needs to be knocked on the head.

Disagree. We're in a fucking mess because there's no coherent plan about how to build a winning side. It's buy a load of players that don't really work together, sack the manager when it goes wrong, rinse and repeat. We need someone who will come in, stamp some authority on the entire club, pick the players up off the floor, ditch the dead wood even if it means sending £30m players to the U23s, and demand they get given the tools they need in terms of players to do what they want to do on the pitch. 

We can only hope for a good decision.

What happens over the next 24 - 48 hours will tell us a lot about what we've learnt from past experiences.

What I mean by this is if, well, when we sack Silva we should have a replacement pretty quick. Easily with a day or 2. If it drags on for a couple of weeks then we have issues behind the scenes as those guys should already know EXACTLY who they want and those contacts will have already been made. E.g. Levy at Spurs. Manager sacked. Within a day, new manager appointed.

The last few years have been mind blowing. I've allowed the romance of the vision to carry me, but I'm feeling ultra cautious now. Our next move has to be bang on.

1 minute ago, nogs said:

Disagree. We're in a fucking mess because there's no coherent plan about how to build a winning side. It's buy a load of players that don't really work together, sack the manager when it goes wrong, rinse and repeat. We need someone who will come in, stamp some authority on the entire club, pick the players up off the floor, ditch the dead wood even if it means sending £30m players to the U23s, and demand they get given the tools they need in terms of players to do what they want to do on the pitch. 

As much as it pains me to say it look at what fat Sam did to the team. 

The players are better than where the club find themselves in the table. 

We need a manger who knows what he's doing. Silva got it wrong today and had to change his system in the first half. He gets it wrong quite often in fact. 

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Realistically, would people rather see silva continue or have Unsworth in for the rest of the season? I mean, if those were the only two options. 

During the first 20 mins, I would have said the players now just badly need a circuit breaker (coach sacking).  I couldn't watch much of the rest of the game, so not sure how much they turned it around and now back on the fence.

9 minutes ago, Aidan said:

As much as it pains me to say it look at what fat Sam did to the team. 

The players are better than where the club find themselves in the table. 

We need a manger who knows what he's doing. Silva got it wrong today and had to change his system in the first half. He gets it wrong quite often in fact. 

But Fatty was never a long term vision. He worked with Walsh to bring Walcott and Tosun in, another £50m that now warms the bench. Yeah we have to steel ourselves get up the table this season but we're desperate for a longer term vision, otherwise we will end up going down at some point

1 hour ago, MC11 said:

I’ve said it in another thread. Keane was a major problem tonight. Mina looks like he can be a good CB. He just needs a partner. 

I held out for Keane hoping he would come good, but he just doesn't have it. He showed good form towards end of last season, but he's back to his normal form, which is bang average at best. 

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I'm not a Mina fan, he looks like he can give a penalty away every week

He looks awkward but he's good. Fellaini looked awkward too but was class once you got used to his unorthodox look. Other end of the spectrum, Schneiderlin looked like a "Rolls Royce" but was no where as good. 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

But Fatty was never a long term vision. He worked with Walsh to bring Walcott and Tosun in, another £50m that now warms the bench. Yeah we have to steel ourselves get up the table this season but we're desperate for a longer term vision, otherwise we will end up going down at some point

Both contributed to us finishing eighth. Walcott especially who gave us some much needed space and was probably our best player the second half of the strain, was the one gave us the most excitement running at teams. Imagine if we got Silva, do you think he'd have done as well with that squad? 

I'm just going to keep mentioning Ange Postecoglou hoping Marcel checks the forum's at bed time for a giggle.

Interview with Ange on his philosophy 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/manchester-city-to-face-postecoglou-s-marinos-in-japan

Man City pre season post game comments

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/guardiola-and-sterling-heap-praise-on-postecoglou-s-yokohama

2 hours ago, DavisJD said:

I'm just going to keep mentioning Ange Postecoglou hoping Marcel checks the forum's at bed time for a giggle.

Interview with Ange on his philosophy 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/manchester-city-to-face-postecoglou-s-marinos-in-japan

Man City pre season post game comments

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/guardiola-and-sterling-heap-praise-on-postecoglou-s-yokohama

I'm coming around to this guy the more I read about him. 

Got it in my head now that it is Moyes. I'm not sure the people at the club are able, possibly capable, of pulling off anything better.

I'd like Howe, but think he'd have fans on his back pretty quickly as a lot have this false optimism that we can attract some multi cup winning high flier. And a guy who has kept a club with an 11,000 average attendance in the top flight for 4 years now is below our one cup in 30 odd years hefty expectations.

Moyes would start from basics. Get us tight at the back again and go for the points. I'd rather it's not him. But I can't see it being anyone else.

Agree with those who say that if we appoint Moyes (or his ilk) then the club is in real trouble and it means we're being run like a rich man's play thing, not like a professional football club.  Snowball chance in hell that Brands would appoint Moyes.  Has to be someone who checks at least three boxes for me

- Commands respect of the playing staff

- Can organize the 11 properly

- Has a vision of how we play that will be immediately apparent

19 hours ago, badaids said:

Forget all this nonsense about Gallardo, or another 'up and coming manager'.  We need someone with a track record of organising a team, tactically astute, and motivating players.  We need Benitez.  We need him in next week.  Moshiri, Brands, go and sort it fucks sake.

Not saying that we wouldn't pay it, but it's been reported that Benitez has a £20m buyout clause in his contract with Yifang so just getting him out of there, without taking into account sign on fees, wages etc would be an astonishing fee that I doubt the board would entertain. 

Like others have said, it'll be Moyes probably. No fee to pay as he's out of a job and Kenwright clearly loves him. I just hope he's good enough to get us 17th or higher because that's literally the target at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Not saying that we wouldn't pay it, but it's been reported that Benitez has a £20m buyout clause in his contract with Yifang so just getting him out of there, without taking into account sign on fees, wages etc would be an astonishing fee that I doubt the board would entertain. 

Like others have said, it'll be Moyes probably. No fee to pay as he's out of a job and Kenwright clearly loves him. I just hope he's good enough to get us 17th or higher because that's literally the target at the moment. 

Reading that last part just made me gulp. 

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

are people forgetting that David "no relegation" was RELEGATED in his last job at sunderland?

Tbf, Sunderland had no business being in the league then. They were terrible and still are, hence why they're struggling to get out of League 1. 

That said, I don't want Moyes. 

Probably will be Moyes or Unsworth won't it?  I mean I would like to see a Gallardo or Arteta in there but are they going to want their next step up to into our mess?  Marcelino has not managed outside of Spain and might be looking at how Emery just fared. The Poch and Allegri shouts are nuts. Candidates like Rangnick and Blanc would proably want too much control.  Marcel can't really call on anyone he has previously worked over (ie Koeman, Van Gaal, Advocaat, or Cacu) as they have all failed in England.  Realistically, there might not be an easy solution to this one.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes it’s time for a change. I thought Marco deserved 18 months but it’s clear that he can’t cope with the injuries and other decisions that have gone against us. But talking about relegation now is yet again ridiculous. 2/3rds of the season left, with the right change we could still challenge top 5 the league is that tight. Don’t believe me, ask Spurs fans how they felt a couple of weeks ago. 

if the board really want to compete, they need to show it. Another safety appointment will just set us back again 

this all day long.  if our man is not out there, Unsy till the end.  We need OUR MAN, not stopgaps and Moshiri's fad appointments.  Brands needs to wrest the power from Farhad and get HIS MAN.  the only thing Moshiri has done is shown how brilliant Bill kenwright was in getting and sticking with Moyes and keeping this team in the top half with no money.

3 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Also it is crazy to see Jesse Marsch and David Wagner doing so well in the Bundesliga right now.  Doubt either would leave their new jobs though.

Being a pedant, but he's in Austria with RB Salzburg. He is doing a good job though! 

He would be an interesting shout.