IGNORED

Jarrad Branthwaite

• 2 weeks later...

Jarrad-Branthwaite-019.jpg

Talented Young Defender Signs For Everton

@Everton

Monday, 13 Jan 2020, at 21:35 GMT

Jarrad Branthwaite said Everton’s track record of developing young players for its first team was instrumental in his decision to join the Club from Carlisle United.

The 17-year-old defender has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal until the end of June 2022 and will link up with the Blues’ Under-23s team.

Branthwaite joins the Toffees having enjoyed a breakthrough campaign at Carlisle. The centre-back has made 11 senior appearances for the League Two outfit this season.

The teenager detailed his excitement about taking the next step in his career at Everton and explained why he believes the Club provides a perfect environment for him to progress.

Everton’s 1-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Goodison Park on Saturday featured three players who honed their talents with the Blues’ Under-23s side – Mason Holgate, Tom Davies and Dominic Calvert-Lewin – and Branthwaite revealed his ambition to follow in their footsteps.

“The pathway is superb – that’s what made me want to join Everton,” he told evertonfc.com.

“I’ve seen those players get their chance in the first team and do well.

“I just can’t wait to get started. Everton is a big club and I’m buzzing to be here.

“The facilities at USM Finch Farm are unbelievable. I like everything about the place.

“I want to settle in, get to know all the boys and put in some good performances for the Under-23s.

“My long-term goal, 100 per cent, is to play for Everton first team in front of the great crowds at Goodison. That would be my dream.”

Branthwaite added he is savouring the prospect of learning from Everton Under-23s manager David Unsworth.

Former Toffees defender Unsworth racked up 350 Everton appearances during a successful playing career. As Under-23s boss, he has led the young Blues to two Premier League 2 titles in the past three seasons.

“All the experience he has can help me develop as a player,” Branthwaite added.

“I’m really looking forward to working with him. 

“As a player, I like to get the ball off the keeper and play out from the back – I’m good with both feet – but the main thing is I like to defend and stop the ball going into the back of the net. I love a clean sheet.

“I’m hungry to keep getting better and I believe I’m in the ideal place to do that.”

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Unbelievable for his age, composed on the ball, not shy to get at the ref, his frame is 4 or 5 years beyond his age. Really impressed he slotted in really well after Holgate came off and played really well along side Keane who also did well today. 

This lad turned 18 years of age last month.

Positive signs. Shame about Holgates injury though but I think we are all comfortable with his quality. This lad needs the remaining games to settle into the squad. Good signs.

He was impressive.  Impressive enough to change our Summer plans?  Enough to be one of 4 squad CBs, or do we get another in and carry 5 for the year? 

He's young enough that he doesn't need to play week in week out, but don't like the idea of no "competitive" football from someone we want to develop.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Unbelievable for his age, composed on the ball, not shy to get at the ref, his frame is 4 or 5 years beyond his age. Really impressed he slotted in really well after Holgate came off and played really well along side Keane who also did well today. 

This lad turned 18 years of age last month.

I didn’t know he was that young I thought he was 22 or something.  Wow.  Might be fine at CB now focus on the midfield.

8 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

He was impressive.  Impressive enough to change our Summer plans?  Enough to be one of 4 squad CBs, or do we get another in and carry 5 for the year? 

He's young enough that he doesn't need to play week in week out, but don't like the idea of no "competitive" football from someone we want to develop.

I think you would still want to see a proper and clear number 1 CB then have the other 4 fighting for that second spot. If one of them doesn't fancy it then they can leave and likewise if the right club wants to loan Branthwaite then thats fine too.

Shouldn't forget about Gibson too.

31 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Yeah I would still like to see an experienced centre half signed if possible. If not hopefully next window because there is other areas of the squad lacking more than CB. 

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Shouldn't forget about Gibson too

Gibson I'm locking in for a Loan away, he does need to be playing week in week out.

Holgate pretty close to the "clear number 1" for mine, although Keane has been impressive lately.  Don't think we're in a position to bring anyone in who's clear levels above what we've got, although do think we still need another true left sided CB.  Gabriel would be that player, although seems likely he doesn't want to be here.

9 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Gibson I'm locking in for a Loan away, he does need to be playing week in week out.

Holgate pretty close to the "clear number 1" for mine, although Keane has been impressive lately.  Don't think we're in a position to bring anyone in who's clear levels above what we've got, although do think we still need another true left sided CB.  Gabriel would be that player, although seems likely he doesn't want to be here.

Gibson was at Fleetwood until their season as cut short. By all accounts he was doing really well there but I agree another loan for him wouldn't hurt. 

I disagree about Holgate being anything close to a clear number 1. We have seen enough of them all now to know that they all can be excellent on their day but that day doesn't come around enough. Keane has certainly been the best out of lockdown but we know it won't last forever.

I think Mina might be the one that makes away. I just don't see him here for the long run.

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think Mina might be the one that makes away. I just don't see him here for the long run.

I've said it before, but I would sell him in an instant if someone offered us our money back on him. I wouldn't be actively looking to get rid or anything because we have more important things to address, but he's injured too often and I really don't think he's that good to be honest.

Branthwaite, though, I'm liking what we've seen so far. He slotted in well for Holgate after he went off - knew where to be, was strong in the tackle, good in the air, showed he can just get rid of it or use the ball. He struggled for a little bit once Davis came on but he adjusted after a while. Even against Wolves where he had a nightmare start I was impressed that his head didn't drop.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've said it before, but I would sell him in an instant if someone offered us our money back on him. I wouldn't be actively looking to get rid or anything because we have more important things to address, but he's injured too often and I really don't think he's that good to be honest.

Branthwaite, though, I'm liking what we've seen so far. He slotted in well for Holgate after he went off - knew where to be, was strong in the tackle, good in the air, showed he can just get rid of it or use the ball. He struggled for a little bit once Davis came on but he adjusted after a while. Even against Wolves where he had a nightmare start I was impressed that his head didn't drop.

I agree with your sentiments on Mina. I do think he is a good defender and I can imagine him being a beast in a 1 v 1 game but there is an unpredictability to how he defends that doesn't suit well to a drilled back 4. He must be a nightmare to play alongside.

Branthwaite did take time to adjust when Davis came on but he had Samatta in his pocket and once he had worked out Davis, I think he was fairly comfortable with him as well. The biggest compliment I can give him is that you wouldn't have known from that performance that he was a young lad only playing his second game for the club.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I think he needs to start the last two games. Two games with Keane, I’d also put Baines in too, and see how he gets on. 
Don’t risk Holgate even if he’s alright, just let him sit them out. 

I agree, the season is done, there is no point risking Holgate anyway. Starting him yesterday feels like a bit of a strange decision.

i wasn't worried about our CB's headed into the offseason and am really not now.  Keane, Holgate, Mina, Branthwaite can all be solid and serviceable.  With Coleman and Digne and a humbled Pickford it could be a solid backline.  With a proper DM in front of them i'd really have no worries about the CB's.  Spend the money on the midfield, the whole midfield.