Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

January Transfer Window

32 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have said our CB look weak because we have no midfield.  gbamin and gomes in there and i don't think anyone would think we need a CB anymore.  that's the issue.  RW also because the attacks are limp over there.  that would alleviate pressure ont he CM and CB.  wholistic approach

Well, I doubt we’ll see much of either JPG or Gomes this season, and we’re only 1 CB injury short of no real backup. If we want finish further up, we definitely need a CB and I agree an actual RW would also be helpful, although we do have 2-3 options there. DCM probably 3rd priority considering we’ve hopefully got 2 coming back towards end of season and 4 currently fit for CM (though form isn’t exactly inspiring from 2 of them)

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

also having a laugh over here, all the people saying CB was first priority and i said RW was people thought i was crazy.  Marcel has come out saying RW is thin and priority.  it feels good.

Fair play.  You did call it.  Personally I would still get in a cover CB first.  We only have 3.  One injury would see us in a bad position.  Does not seem that the club see Gibson as the fourth spot but maybe things have changed? (if so, I would probably change my mind too).  If Walcott got hurt, there are a few people that could be makeshift cover.

19 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Fair play.  You did call it.  Personally I would still get in a cover CB first.  We only have 3.  One injury would see us in a bad position.  Does not seem that the club see Gibson as the fourth spot but maybe things have changed? (if so, I would probably change my mind too).  If Walcott got hurt, there are a few people that could be makeshift cover.

i'd love an update on the youngsters.  any CB prospects if so which?  thoughts on gordon from marcel and carlo, how is ellis simms doing now?  etc. 

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'd love an update on the youngsters.  any CB prospects if so which?  thoughts on gordon from marcel and carlo, how is ellis simms doing now?  etc. 

Simms seems to score for fun. Gibson is the young CB that’s been impressing isn’t he?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Simms seems to score for fun. Gibson is the young CB that’s been impressing isn’t he?

Gibson has been injured but should be back nowish?  Also his contract is up this summer so need to get him some games and extend or move on most likely.

12 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Gibson has been injured but should be back nowish?  Also his contract is up this summer so need to get him some games and extend or move on most likely.

Thought he scored in one of the last u23 games?

We need a CM on loan this January desperately. 

We can scrape by without a fourth CB. Especially if Gbamin is back in a month or two (not sure where his recovery is exactly though) 

The league is so open this year, with reinforcements this window we could push Europa football no problem at all. If we fail to sign anyone then we risk finishing in the lowest position in the league since the 15/16 season. 

Once Gomes is fit we can start to work on a system going forward. 

I don’t think we should do anything big in this transfer window particularly in the midfield , we are relatively safe so let’s get our injured players back and see what we need in the summer in that area. 
If a world class striker becomes available or top class CB then go for them, but otherwise I would stick till the summer. 

On 19/01/2020 at 06:51, Palfy said:

I don’t think we should do anything big in this transfer window particularly in the midfield , we are relatively safe so let’s get our injured players back and see what we need in the summer in that area. 
If a world class striker becomes available or top class CB then go for them, but otherwise I would stick till the summer. 

Going to echo this sentiment. I understand that Europa League football is potentially within touching distance, but I'd rather we hold on to what we have, let our squad get another 4 months in under Ancelotti and then start fresh this summer. 

If we were having a particularly strong season, or conversely struggling at the bottom end of the table, I would maybe be more enthused to see us spend this month. Ultimately though, I think this season will see us finish mid-table and thus I'd rather we wait to spend (and off-load the money-wasters in this squad) till the summer. 

18 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Going to echo this sentiment. I understand that Europa League football is potentially within touching distance, but I'd rather we hold on to what we have, let our squad get another 4 months in under Ancelotti and then start fresh this summer. 

If we were having a particularly strong season, or conversely struggling at the bottom end of the table, I would maybe be more enthused to see us spend this month. Ultimately though, I think this season will see us finish mid-table and thus I'd rather we wait to spend (and off-load the money-wasters in this squad) till the summer. 

Financially we are better off in Europe. The issue is whether it affects your League form, which it does. We already are being battered with injuries, imagine having European football to contend with.

Honestly we should treat the Europa League like the big clubs treat the domestic cups. Stick the kids out and if they get through to the latter stages then great. Screw the rules, just claim everyone is injured.

25 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Financially we are better off in Europe. The issue is whether it affects your League form, which it does. We already are being battered with injuries, imagine having European football to contend with.

Honestly we should treat the Europa League like the big clubs treat the domestic cups. Stick the kids out and if they get through to the latter stages then great. Screw the rules, just claim everyone is injured.

I mean sure, but there is a template in which a "mid-table" club treats the Europa League as a proper competition AND competes in the league. Wolves, for the most part, sent out their strongest starting XI's for their Europa fixtures and are also 6th in the league. Obviously a lot of this comes down to good fortune, as they have not been ravaged by injuries, but there is a world where one of the "non-big 6" clubs can field a strong starting XI in the Europa League and still be competitive in the EPL. 

We are not a club that can turn our noses up at the Europa League and play a weakened squad. Until we start showing consistency and improvement in the league, year in and year out, we have to treat the Europa League as a big deal. 

And here I am waxing poetically about us even being good enough to qualify for it. That's a future-us problem. As for the here and now, I say concentrate on solidifying a style of play under Carlo this season and really go after it in the summer into next season. 

12 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I mean sure, but there is a template in which a "mid-table" club treats the Europa League as a proper competition AND competes in the league. Wolves, for the most part, sent out their strongest starting XI's for their Europa fixtures and are also 6th in the league. Obviously a lot of this comes down to good fortune, as they have not been ravaged by injuries, but there is a world where one of the "non-big 6" clubs can field a strong starting XI in the Europa League and still be competitive in the EPL. 

We are not a club that can turn our noses up at the Europa League and play a weakened squad. Until we start showing consistency and improvement in the league, year in and year out, we have to treat the Europa League as a big deal. 

And here I am waxing poetically about us even being good enough to qualify for it. That's a future-us problem. As for the here and now, I say concentrate on solidifying a style of play under Carlo this season and really go after it in the summer into next season. 

Wolves recruitment policy has been far superior to ours. They have been recruiting youthful players with bags of potential and a desire to prove themselves on the big stage and they are reaping the rewards.

This emphasis in players of a certain profile has most definitely protected them from injury and fatigue. By contrast, our recent recruitment has seen us recruit players with little room for development, players who have already peaked or will peak and start to decline within the life of their contract.

It has also been a massively unlucky year for us. Nobody would really anticipate the serious injuries to Gbamin and Gomes as well as the niggling injuries to Bernard and Digne that have plagued us this year.

We need to be in Europe, it is good for the club, but our current squad in it's current state couldn't handle it.

I dont think Gomes is a protector of the back 4 , good going forward and has the killer ball, regards Gbamin not proven.

For me buy Ake and Mings to start with and look for a holding midfield,also either Stevens or chillwell, at LB and move Digne forward on the left side, regards Marcel saying he needs a right winger you dont expect him to tell everyone what he really wants do you, if he did he would not be very good at his job.

59 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

too quiet, hopefully we have 1 incoming, a centre mid.  if we don't get that i'll be disappointed.  anything more than that and i'm overjoyed

Yeah, it looks as if we'll bring in Vecino and that will be it. Not the flashiest signing, but will hopefully get us through this season (and finally bench Morgan for good) so we can regroup and start anew in the summer. 

I’m actually more bothered about getting players out than getting players in during this window. Martina and Niasse obviously but I’d happily see the back of the likes of Schneiderlin and Walcott, even Keane and Sigurdsson without us replacing them (unless the right priority players are available at a sensible price) and I’d see that as a good window.

That article must be blatant lies?

Hasn't Niasse turned down offers and is a total Cunt to Everton? I mean that article says we have had no concrete offers at all. And it’s not the first to say it either. 

But Niasse is a total twat to us for turning these offers down 🙄

Laziest bit of journalism Ive read in a long time, hmmm two players known to be surplus to requirement, I’ll write a bit about them possibly been moved on in the transfer window. “Hey boss I’ve done that piece you asked for “

13 hours ago, c1982 said:

I’m actually more bothered about getting players out than getting players in during this window. Martina and Niasse obviously but I’d happily see the back of the likes of Schneiderlin and Walcott, even Keane and Sigurdsson without us replacing them (unless the right priority players are available at a sensible price) and I’d see that as a good window.

If we lost Schneiderlin, Walcott, Keane and Sigurdsson without replacements we would be extremely short. We are short now in centre midfield, right wing and centre back even with those four. 

Not overly disappointed that we haven’t signed anyone, more do that we have only moved Tosun out on loan, would have liked to see Nissan, Martina  as a minimum  moved on and bring in some of the U23’s for the rest of the season.

18 hours ago, pete0 said:

To put £80 million into today's market would anyone swap Richarlison plus £10m for Sigurdssen, Keane and Bolasie? 

See what you're going for here but all it does is reiterate the abomination that is Steve Walsh's transfer business. 80m always buys you: Kovacic, Raul Jimenez and Martinelli with 4m to spare. Or Lozano, Brandt, Demiral. 

48 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Chances of signing anyone are looking bleak! 

There’s 1 day left in the window yeah? Typical Everton to leave it late. Bemused that we’ve kept Morgan on the books and let a younger player like Besic go out. 

Still hopeful of a deal or two in and out.

Amazing to think we probably haven’t seen the worst of the damage Walsh, Koeman and Alladyce have done yet.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

There’s 1 day left in the window yeah? Typical Everton to leave it late. Bemused that we’ve kept Morgan on the books and let a younger player like Besic go out. 

Still hopeful of a deal or two in and out.

Amazing to think we probably haven’t seen the worst of the damage Walsh, Koeman and Alladyce have done yet.

to be fair Besic is 27 now! Crazy I thought he was like 23.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Capture.JPG

I think Carlo just wants a bit of squad stability. Might be wrong, but that’s how it seems to me. As well as there not being much available. 

i would say Carlo knows we have Niasse, Stek, Sidibe, and Martina out of contract come summer.  and that brands will be better suited to sell players in the summer to begin the squad overhaul.  Also he hasn't seen Gomes Iwobi or Gbamin play yet to see how they respond to him and his tactics and managing.  i think we will end up top half of the table still.  I just hope Brands has a ton of stuff lined up this summer, we need players OUT.

8 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Romey will be gutted lossl has gone. I remember him saying what a great signing 

He's gone?

Edit: Josh says he's gone to Huddersfield on loan but I missed it, he must be really shite if we're keeping Stek ahead of him.

4 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I know it isn't over but the fact we couldn't reinforce central midfield this window is extremely disappointing. Complete lack of ambition from the board

Or complete confidence in the squad from the manager.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Or complete confidence in the squad from the manager.

That would be a worry. No European football this season with the current squad unless Gomes is back very sharpish and Holgate and Mina can keep up good form. 

8 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This is nonsense. Lack of ambition? No, sensible with a long term plan under a world class manager.

The right players clearly aren’t available. What should we do? I know let’s sign more substandard players so we can be stuck with them on high wages. We’ve already got Tosun, Sandro, Bolasie, Besic taking up valuable wages and doing nothing - thankfully Niasse and Martina’s time is almost up - but we’ve got the likes Schneiderlin, Walcott, Sigurdsson and Keane who are on huge wages but aren’t likely to take us forward - I’m glad we’re not adding to the squad for the sake of it as we’ve made that mistake before!

Long term plan? We've had one of those for the long term now haven't we? 

The right players aren't available? What players couldn't improve our Midfield right now? Recruitment this Jan either on loan or a signing is pivotal to gaining European football and failing to do so will massively hinder us. 

The board have had months to plan for this and it is again a massive failure and the sole reason seems to be 'brands doesn't like the winter transfer window'. A load of shit even ancelotti said we were looking for signings.

11 minutes ago, Aidan said:

The right players aren't available? What players couldn't improve our Midfield right now?

Obviously not. Settling for someone who would just improve us has got us into the mess we’re in. Tosun and Walcott improved us at the time we signed them - we’ve been stuck with them since in big wages and offering very little. We need to strengthen 100% but ultimately we need to act smarter in the transfer market and a massive part of that will be reducing the wage bill before adding quality.

4 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Obviously not. Settling for someone who would just improve us has got us into the mess we’re in. Tosun and Walcott improved us at the time we signed them - we’ve been stuck with them since in big wages and offering very little. We need to strengthen 100% but ultimately we need to act smarter in the transfer market and a massive part of that will be reducing the wage bill before adding quality.

Literally anybody would improve us right now. Even if it isn't a loan signing at least a rotation player we can have for a few years. 

Christ our Midfield is championship level. Davies, Morgan and delph... and Siggy doesn't even fit into our system. 

Why do you keep assuming I want us to spend 100m and 250k a week on a player? 

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

No assumptions here.

Thankfully those in charge haven’t gone into panic mode and signed someone for the sake of signing.

9 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Literally anybody would improve us right now. Even if it isn't a loan signing at least a rotation player we can have for a few years.

I’d love to hear your suggestions for this role.

10 minutes ago, c1982 said:

No assumptions here.

Thankfully those in charge haven’t gone into panic mode and signed someone for the sake of signing.

Like I said it's ambition. Look at the state of our Midfield if this was the summer fans would be going mad. 

10 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I’d love to hear your suggestions for this role.

I'm a fan not a scout. 

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Like I said it's ambition. Look at the state of our Midfield if this was the summer fans would be going mad. 

It’s not the summer.

Ambition is surely signing top quality players who improve us. There’s a bigger picture you’re failing to see and it seems you’ve forgotten the recent accounts that are dangerously close to breaching FFP.

5 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It’s not the summer.

Ambition is surely signing top quality players who improve us. There’s a bigger picture you’re failing to see and it seems you’ve forgotten the recent accounts that are dangerously close to breaching FFP.

This for me.

Everyone wants to see players coming in because it’s exciting. Unfortunately we need to get rid of some of our rubbish and we will struggle to do that. I trust brands has worked hard with Carlo to identify targets but ultimately we don’t know who was available and for how much.

36 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Christ our Midfield is championship level. Davies, Morgan and delph... and Siggy doesn't even fit into our system. 

That's exactly the reasoning why Tosun and Walcott were signed. I'm pretty sure there would have been better players to be had for the 50 million spent on transfers plus around 200k per week on wages than those two.