IGNORED

Allan

2 hours ago, StevO said:

If you’re a selling club then that’s an problem, if you want to be at the top end of the league it needs to be more about the impact on the team not on the accounts.Β 

On Gylfi, signingΒ a 27 year old on a fiveΒ year contract wasn’t bad. It’s the price you have to pay to get players in their prime.Β 
Β 

We have to have experienced players in the team, it’s an absolute must. They have to be the right experienced players, but that means having lads who aren’t 23 on the pitch.
If only we had a 34 year old Gareth Barry on the pitch on Tuesday night, or even Phil Jagielka for that matter.Β 
Β 

If this lad is the experienced player Carlo wants in his team he’s the player we need.Β 

Honestly I think every club is a selling club unless you are Man City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barca, or Bayern. Β They are the only ones so flush with cash and so welL positioned FFP wise they don’t have to sell. Β Every other team in the world sells their best players to those teams so yes we are a selling team. Β Nothing to be ashamed of with that. Β Even with SAF United was a selling team offloading Ronaldo and Beckham. Β 

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Honestly I think every club is a selling club unless you are Man City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barca, or Bayern. Β They are the only ones so flush with cash and so welL positioned FFP wise they don’t have to sell. Β Every other team in the world sells their best players to those teams so yes we are a selling team. Β Nothing to be ashamed of with that. Β Even with SAF United was a selling team offloading Ronaldo and Beckham. Β 

So for that reason we should only buy young players who will be more valuable in the future and not buy players who are at their peak now? What happens if those young players don’t get better and their value decreases?

I want players who can improve the team now.Β 

I understand to an extent from where MJB is coming from.Β  We have been stung a fair bit in the past few years by paying over the odds for average players that haven't improved the squad and have given us problems in trying to move them on.Β 

The price we paid and the amount they earn per week isn't the reason for that though, it's because we chased players that weren't suited to what we wanted to do as a club. Get the scouting right and price won't matter as you will always be finding value.

Β 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I understand to an extent from where MJB is coming from.Β  We have been stung a fair bit in the past few years by paying over the odds for average players that haven't improved the squad and have given us problems in trying to move them on.Β 

The price we paid and the amount they earn per week isn't the reason for that though, it's because we chased players that weren't suited to what we wanted to do as a club. Get the scouting right and price won't matter as you will always be finding value.

Β 

An example being Richarlison who we "broke the market" with and who, 18 months later,is one of the more promising young players in world football and likely worth twice what we paid.

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

An example being Richarlison who we "broke the market" with and who, 18 months later,is one of the more promising young players in world football and likely worth twice what we paid.

Not a good example in my opinion because he was so young. Β Bailey and I are talkin g about the gylfi Walcott type signings where they are 28-29 when brought in and aren’t young anymore. Β So if they don’t work out we’ve paid for a player in their prime and will lose money because they are then past their prime.

Β 

richarlisonn was 21 and the world his oyster. Β It was a big fee due to the watford Silva fiasco as well. Β Probably more like 30-35 in reality which is what we paid for bolasie and he sucked so I think it was a fine deal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because it would be an Ancelotti transfer, not a BrandsΒ one.Β 
As much as I like Brands, we don’t know which transfers have been his doing as of yet but not many have set the world alight in the last couple of years.Β 

Trust Carlo if he wants this lad.Β 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

Because it would be an Ancelotti transfer, not a BrandsΒ one.Β 
As much as I like Brands, we don’t know which transfers have been his doing as of yet but not many have set the world alight in the last couple of years.Β 

Trust Carlo if he wants this lad.Β 

its just not smart for the club.Β  people continually bitch about gylfi, morgan, delph, because we bought them too late and have no exit plan in case they don't work out.Β  we don't need another of those.

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

its just not smart for the club.Β  people continually bitch about gylfi, morgan, delph, because we bought them too late and have no exit plan in case they don't work out.Β  we don't need another of those.

I see people bitch about them playing shit, not the rest of it. And Brands was only here for Delph.Β 
Β 

We bought Morgan at a great time in his career, he’s just not been as good as we’d all have liked.Β 
Β 

Allan might be great for us!

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't disagree, i just think financially it is a smart move

I assume you’re missing a word there? Either way, whilst it may look steep there’s 3Β important factors;

1) the market continues to inflate so the loss wouldn’t be as bad as it may seem. We could even break even if he’s the missing piece to midfield and he gets us into the CL

2) if Carlo and Brands want him, then he’s going to be worth them gamble

3) it pushes Delph further down the list of potential starters.Β 

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

I assume you’re missing a word there? Either way, whilst it may look steep there’s 3Β important factors;

1) the market continues to inflate so the loss wouldn’t be as bad as it may seem. We could even break even if he’s the missing piece to midfield and he gets us into the CL

2) if Carlo and Brands want him, then he’s going to be worth them gamble

3) it pushes Delph further down the list of potential starters.Β 

yes i missed a word.Β  for your 3rd point alone i'll start a gofund me to buy him ;)

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I think this is the direction we’re trying to go in though.

With Carlo and Marcel here. We’re trying to get away from being a club that buys for resale value. We want to become a club that buysΒ players to make an impact on the team and win things, not just for resale value.Β 
Β 

leave that to the Southamptons.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think this is the direction we’re trying to go in though.

With Carlo and Marcel here. We’re trying to get away from being a club that buys for resale value. We want to become a club that buysΒ players to make an impact on the team and win things, not just for resale value.Β 
Β 

leave that to the Southamptons.

i'm sorry i think you misunderstood, i'm not saying to buy to resell, i'm saying buy young to get the world beaters before they are world beaters, ala ronaldo at united, not ronaldo at madrid.Β  Going for broke on 1 or 2 campaigns is short sighted and something we've been doing for years.Β Β 

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm sorry i think you misunderstood, i'm not saying to buy to resell, i'm saying buy young to get the world beaters before they are world beaters, ala ronaldo at united, not ronaldo at madrid.Β  Going for broke on 1 or 2 campaigns is short sighted and something we've been doing for years.Β Β 

But that’s always a gamble. Need to balance it. We’re now in a position to not worry so much about buy to sell, but that happens even at the richest clubs anyway

Just now, Matt said:

But that’s always a gamble. Need to balance it. We’re now in a position to not worry so much about buy to sell, but that happens even at the richest clubs anyway

exactly.Β  im all about having some dogged veterans providing guidance and calm on the pitch, but 40m for a 29 year old never played in the prem is a gamble not worth taking.Β  40m on richarlison proven in the league, super young and skies the limit is the gamble to take.Β  DCl for 1.5m from league one is the gamble to take.Β  lucas digne at 20m from barca young player is a gamble worth taking.

Β 

catch my drift?

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

exactly.Β  im all about having some dogged veterans providing guidance and calm on the pitch, but 40m for a 29 year old never played in the prem is a gamble not worth taking.Β  40m on richarlison proven in the league, super young and skies the limit is the gamble to take.Β  DCl for 1.5m from league one is the gamble to take.Β  lucas digne at 20m from barca young player is a gamble worth taking.

Β 

catch my drift?

Would you have paid the money for Gana?

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

Would you have paid the money for Gana?

yes we bought him young, sold him old.Β  we did that one so well. 6.5m buyout clause.Β  granted i would have held onto him, but he wanted to go and we were shit at the time so i don't blame him.Β  but the next time around when richarlison DCL etc are all 29 we should be in CL so they won't want to leave and then we don't have to endure that anymore, we can keep our veteran/prime players.Β  and then when they are 31/32/33 and getting on we can move on when their contract ends or they can stay and be the veterans we need.Β  but WE hold the cards.Β  we are driven to sell because we have to, when we have Europe and we have money and only WE can choose who stays and who goes.

Β 

to do that we need to build for the future, not for just next campaign, for the next 3-4.Β  we have Baines and coleman to stick around and be vets in the locker room and on the bench.Β  if we can get some older players on the cheap/free i'm all about it.Β  the gareth barry deal i would do in my scenario.Β  he was cheap and irreplaceable for us.Β  if there are those players out there i'm all for them.Β  but spending 40m on a player that age isn't wise i don't think.Β  look at liverpool under klopp, young young young.Β  now they are so strong and they keep buying young and when one goes down it's next man up and they are hungry and ready.Β  i don't see them buying 29/30 year old players.Β  minamino a great example.Β  he was bought for under 10m.Β  that is nothing in this market.Β  granted they have CL and pull, but we can get there too.

39 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes we bought him young, sold him old.Β  we did that one so well. 6.5m buyout clause.Β  granted i would have held onto him, but he wanted to go and we were shit at the time so i don't blame him.Β  but the next time around when richarlison DCL etc are all 29 we should be in CL so they won't want to leave and then we don't have to endure that anymore, we can keep our veteran/prime players.Β  and then when they are 31/32/33 and getting on we can move on when their contract ends or they can stay and be the veterans we need.Β  but WE hold the cards.Β  we are driven to sell because we have to, when we have Europe and we have money and only WE can choose who stays and who goes.

Β 

to do that we need to build for the future, not for just next campaign, for the next 3-4.Β  we have Baines and coleman to stick around and be vets in the locker room and on the bench.Β  if we can get some older players on the cheap/free i'm all about it.Β  the gareth barry deal i would do in my scenario.Β  he was cheap and irreplaceable for us.Β  if there are those players out there i'm all for them.Β  but spending 40m on a player that age isn't wise i don't think.Β  look at liverpool under klopp, young young young.Β  now they are so strong and they keep buying young and when one goes down it's next man up and they are hungry and ready.Β  i don't see them buying 29/30 year old players.Β  minamino a great example.Β  he was bought for under 10m.Β  that is nothing in this market.Β  granted they have CL and pull, but we can get there too.

I meant, would you have paid the money we sold him for?

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

I meant, would you have paid the money we sold him for?

he's different.Β  he was proven in the premier league with 2 teams and only was 25-30m.Β  this guy is never proven in the league and 10-15m more.

Β 

but to your question, i wouldn't know his abilities so i would have probably said no.Β  but it's all hypothetical anyways.Β Β 

17 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Sorry I thought you were thinking of resale values. Yes I agree with finding the hidden gems while they are young and cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...