IGNORED

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

is his worth 35m?  every time we have played them i never noticed him, is he good?  i get he has bayern pedigree, but we need a player.  

Same here. Don’t really know anything about him. Might go take a look and see if there’s any videos etc.

I remember there was a load of hype around him at Bayern, probably because he was their youngest ever player at the time I think. Seemed a bit of a coup Southampton signing him but I got the impression he hadn't really lived up to the early promise, although he's Saints' captain now at 24 and must be doinfmg sonething right as their turnaround this season has been impressive 

• 5 months later...

If this is true and comes off, it would suggest to me that Ancelotti isn't going to have much involvement in signings.

He is quite aggressive and he has good energy but he is still slow and weak. There is nothing remarkable about his passing although he seems to have a decent long range shot on him (not that I have seen it first hand). His stats also suggest he can read the game fairly well but I couldn't say I have noticed that it is above average either and I think a lot of that probably comes from playing alongside JWP who compliments him in a high pressing team. Chuck Gomes or Davies alongside this fella and I don't him doing any better than a Delph or Schneiderlin.

If that is our ambition for next season, I am concerned!

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Let’s not compare him to the midfielders we’ve got - it’s an insult to him!

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah he seems to have the same skill set as davies and gomes.  which is strange.  we don't need another of those.  we need a DM.

Lets put WhoScored stats to the test then! All stats recorded as per game. 

Tackles: 

Højbjerg - 2.5

Gomes - 1.1

Davies - 1.1

Interceptions:

Højbjerg - 1.4

Davies - 1.1

Gomes - 0.4

Clearances:

Højbjerg - 1.5

Gomes - 0.3

Davies - 0.8

Dribbled past: 

Højbjerg - 1.6

Gomes - 3.4

Davies - 1.3

Fouls committed: 

Højbjerg - 1.4

Gomes - 2.4

Davies - 1

Dispossessed: 

Højbjerg - 0.8

Gomes - 1.5

Davies - 0.7

Unsuccessful touches:

Højbjerg - 2

Gomes - 1.2

Davies - 0.9

Passes blocked:

Højbjerg - 1.2

Gomes - 1

Davies - 0.3

Average passes:

Højbjerg - 57

Gomes - 41

Davies - 28

Pass %: 

Højbjerg - 78%

Gomes - 85%

Davies - 77%

Key Passes: 

Højbjerg - 0.9

Gomes - 0.6

Davies - 0.3

Dribbles: 

Højbjerg - 1.3

Gomes - 1.2

Davies - 0.7

Shots: 

Højbjerg - 1.4

Gomes - 0.2

Davies - 0.6

Distance Covered (per 90):

Højbjerg - 9.4 k/m

Gomes - 7.2 k/m

Davies - 8 k/m

Comparing stats for Southampton to stats for us is a waste of time as they play so differently to us. 

If we are going to play more like them then you can see the argument. None of our other midfielders can play that way (Gbamin unknown) so we will need to get rid of the rest. If you think he would come in to this midfield and play the way this team currently are then I think you will be disappointed.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Comparing stats for Southampton to stats for us is a waste of time as they play so differently to us. 

If we are going to play more like them then you can see the argument. None of our other midfielders can play that way (Gbamin unknown) so we will need to get rid of the rest. If you think he would come in to this midfield and play the way this team currently are then I think you will be disappointed.

Who knows how we play at the moment? I certainly don’t! Ancelotti hasn’t been able to implement his style fully and has been hamstrung by injuries and not having players who fit what he sees as a winning system. What I do know is we lack energy, leadership and aggression so someone in the Hojbjerg mould sounds like just what we need and probably another central midfielder too. This is clearly our weak point and I trust Ancelotti/Brands will get the right blend. We may have had that this year had it not been for injuries but, that, we will never know.