IGNORED

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

37 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Comparing stats for Southampton to stats for us is a waste of time as they play so differently to us. 

If we are going to play more like them then you can see the argument. None of our other midfielders can play that way (Gbamin unknown) so we will need to get rid of the rest. If you think he would come in to this midfield and play the way this team currently are then I think you will be disappointed.

The fact that this lad excels statistically more than all of our central midfielders in both going forward and defensively seems to count for something doesn't it? I understand your point though, stats can be manipulated hugely. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Comparing stats for Southampton to stats for us is a waste of time as they play so differently to us. 

If we are going to play more like them then you can see the argument. None of our other midfielders can play that way (Gbamin unknown) so we will need to get rid of the rest. If you think he would come in to this midfield and play the way this team currently are then I think you will be disappointed.

Have you seen a lot of him Bailey? I’ve only ever seen him when he came on against us the other week. So I’ve honestly no opinion of him. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

The amount of time I have read people explaining a player is good because of stats.... while thinking, ye but I was at the game.... he was shit!.

We bought the likes of Gana and Keane because of their stats. They took us backwards. Moneyball doesn't work in football. 

16 hours ago, c1982 said:

Who knows how we play at the moment? I certainly don’t! Ancelotti hasn’t been able to implement his style fully and has been hamstrung by injuries and not having players who fit what he sees as a winning system. What I do know is we lack energy, leadership and aggression so someone in the Hojbjerg mould sounds like just what we need and probably another central midfielder too. This is clearly our weak point and I trust Ancelotti/Brands will get the right blend. We may have had that this year had it not been for injuries but, that, we will never know.

That is why I gave myself the out of how we might want to play next year ;)

We do lack energy but that is as much about the tactics as it is the player. He wasn't as energetic under Puel. 

I dont see him as a leader either. 

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

The fact that this lad excels statistically more than all of our central midfielders in both going forward and defensively seems to count for something doesn't it? I understand your point though, stats can be manipulated hugely. 

Not really. The question you have to ask yourself after watching him is how well would he fit into our system or likewise how would our midfield look in their system. Im not saying our midfield could do what he does for Southampton but then again I dont see him doing anything extra in our current system (with my comments above and previously taken into account).

14 hours ago, StevO said:

Have you seen a lot of him Bailey? I’ve only ever seen him when he came on against us the other week. So I’ve honestly no opinion of him. 

I have watched him a bit but not game after game. I have only watched part games too, not the full 90. I dont think I have seen him post lockdown.

I heard a lot about him early on and one of my Soton supporting mates does say that he is a good player (albeit not a patch on Lemina). 

The one game I did watch is the 9-0 loss to Leicester which was a game that I was bitterly disappointed with. I'm not talking about towards the end of the game but when they had 11 men and then just after they had gone down to 10. If you watch the short highlights package on Google you will see him (number 23) giving up completely on two Leicester attacks despite being a central midfielder. I would recommend people do watch that short clip because it is pretty shocking. 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Not really. The question you have to ask yourself after watching him is how well would he fit into our system or likewise how would our midfield look in their system. Im not saying our midfield could do what he does for Southampton but then again I dont see him doing anything extra in our current system (with my comments above and previously taken into account)

Maybe Carlo sees something in him for a new system he wants to implement. Maybe at a price he is added depth over quality. 

Wonder if this is a Brands signing or an Ancelotti signing. Either way I doubt he will be the only first team player we sign in central midfield this season. 

I think this is the type of signing we need. Young, Relatively cheap, a bread and butter footballer who will set an example of what work rate and attitude is. Low risk financially, box to box, got a shot on him, energy, tenacious.....

We badly lack character... I think he has that. 

18 hours ago, Aidan said:

Maybe Carlo sees something in him for a new system he wants to implement. Maybe at a price he is added depth over quality. 

Wonder if this is a Brands signing or an Ancelotti signing. Either way I doubt he will be the only first team player we sign in central midfield this season. 

We have been linked for a while I believe so I would guess Brands.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I think this is the type of signing we need. Young, Relatively cheap, a bread and butter footballer who will set an example of what work rate and attitude is. Low risk financially, box to box, got a shot on him, energy, tenacious.....

Look at his character in the Leicester game I mentioned. At 0-0 and 1-0 he completely gives up on his teammates. 

I'd also question his attitude with what has happened for his contract. Something has clearly gone on behind the scenes.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

From what Bailey said above he completely gave up in Southamptons drumming by Leicester. Not sure that epitomises those characteristics you’ve highlighted. 

25 minutes ago, barryj said:

From what Bailey said above he completely gave up in Southamptons drumming by Leicester. Not sure that epitomises those characteristics you’ve highlighted. 

I'm sure Ancellotti will be getting tapes, reports etc.  Based on the general feedback of him and what I had seen he looks a solid player.

Would I want to sign him for £20m? No.  At £14m it represents good value based on a specific job that may want him to do. 

Southampton fans tend to get extremely salty when players want to move on and cloud their views of the player.

Can't say I've seen enough of him to be certain but at the price I'm not deterred.  We need 3 centre midfielders. Allan is my preferred choice with sangare as onebive been keen to see if we could get at a good price. 

52 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

why would spurs want him?  they have a packed midfield, ndombele doesn't even play!

Just now, Matt said:

£14m, £25m now £35m?!

yeah again i'm not that familiar with the guy but 14m sounded like the price, i don't know how comfortable i am paying any more than that.

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

25m is a lot in a depressed covid market.  i'm really hoping Brands knows what he's doing here

I agree, but as Carlo said recently he and Brands have to agree on players before they sign them.

One thing is for sure if we sign him then 1 of our midfield has to be going. (crosses fingers and says please be Delph)