Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Qualifying for Europe

4 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

The only thing that hurts about reading that article is thinking how easy the beginning of the season was supposed to be in regards to our schedule. We really didn't take advantage of that. At least we've turned it around lately. 

And we turned it around in December when our run was as difficult as the one we've got coming up now, that was what we were worried about when the fixtures came out. Let's hope we can pick up a few points from the next four games, I'd settle for six personally.

57 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don’t why you’re bothering with the topic when it’s completely out of reach for us. 

If the cups go our way we are in a European spot already and we are only 3 points off a guaranteed spot with 11 games to go, so it’s hardly completely out of reach 🤷🏻‍♂️

Even without a European campaign to deal with next year, we have to severely retool our squad. As much as I would love to see us in Europe next season, I fear what might happen if we're trying to manage a Europa schedule with a ton of new players.

If we somehow, miraculously, finish in a champions league spot, then I would be all for us playing in Europe. I just am always cautious of us playing in the Europa league, especially with it being Carlo's first full season with the squad he wants. I would rather see him push us forward in the league without the Thursday-to-Sunday distraction. 

I know I might be in the minority on that, but for me it's either Champions League or nothing. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don’t why you’re bothering with the topic when it’s completely out of reach for us. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If the cups go our way we are in a European spot already and we are only 3 points off a guaranteed spot with 11 games to go, so it’s hardly completely out of reach 🤷🏻‍♂️

I suspect Mark's post was a bit (a lot) ironic and aimed at a certain member, mentioning no names.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Fuck Europa League, Champions League is the way to go! 4th place is achievable, but we can’t lose to Arsenal, United or Chelsea if we are to stand a chance. 

I’ve thrown a fiver on at 40/1 just in case. 

Seriously 40/1 that is great odds how long ago was that Steve I fancy a piece of that, for me that is so achievable if we beat Arsenal away which I believe we will 4th place is definitely on. 

Here I was at the beginning of the season, looking at that second to last match against Sheffield United as a throwaway. It might end up determining a Europa league spot. I'm done discounting their success and assuming they'll fall off at some point. Wilder has them believing. 

Shame the red shite are making the championship a moot point, because there are a lot of other really exciting stories happening around the league this season.

I want champions league.... we probably would be nailed on without VAR but then again we wouldn't have sacked Silva without the points that VAR robbed off us. 

Europe would massively help further our appeal as a club with ambition/direction. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Seriously 40/1 that is great odds how long ago was that Steve I fancy a piece of that, for me that is so achievable if we beat Arsenal away which I believe we will 4th place is definitely on. 

Right after the Palace game mate, William Hill. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Right after the Palace game mate, William Hill. 

Can get 50/1 in a few places.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-4-finish

We have nothing to fear in the Premier League and I hope Carlo is getting that into the players' heads. Apart from the top 2 the league is absolutely bang average and the traditional big clubs are really poor this year.

For some players like Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin this is probably their last real shot at getting into Europe and playing regularly.

They should be going all out to try and snatch a top 4 place. That should absolutely be the target and if it fails we might find ourselves 5th or 6th and in Europe anyway.

With regards to the Europa League, I'd play the kids in the early qualifying rounds and see how it goes.

11 hours ago, barryj said:

I’m happy to be bookie to you all 💰💰 😂

What odds you giving mate loser gives it TT donations fund nothing to heavy Barry a tenner at most going to a good cause 💷

40 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yeah with man city getting the 2 year ban. We must take advantage if 5th becomes champs league 

Absolutely, and Europa will be 6th and 7th, who would have thought we could make Europe a few weeks ago !

33 minutes ago, MikeO said:

No chance CAS will uphold it imo.

Agreed, the chief investigator pronounced City guilty and said they would get a ban before he started his investigation, so hardly impartial...

Plus they would have to look very closely at PSG and a Madrid for fairness.

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

Agreed, the chief investigator pronounced City guilty and said they would get a ban before he started his investigation, so hardly impartial...

Plus they would have to look very closely at PSG and a Madrid for fairness.

The Europeans have proven to be Anglo phobic for decades. Plenty of times continental clubs have broken rules that have gone unpunished. Can't have 5 English teams in Champions League so wheel Colina out of retirement to torpedo Everton's chances. Don't be surprised if we qualify for Europe and also get a ban due to our finances at the moment.

City will appeal this and likely get the  an reduced to 1 season. It's always how they do things. It makes it look like they have still punished the team whilst also giving the team some leniency.

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

No chance CAS will uphold it imo.

I think they might as they rarely rule against the governing body. However that said I thinks there’s little to no chance it’ll be next season due to ongoing appeals. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

A fair few of us knew it was possible even then.

Let's be honest..... when you make predictions you follow trends. Being 10 points away when you are averaging 1 point a game is like man city saying they can catch Liverpool now. It's possible but unlikely.

However the 4th to 8th teams have been averaging lower points than any other season I can remember in the prem.

For me it was frustrating because I don't even think Silva had to do a remarkable job with these players to get in top 5..... he just needed to identify the best 11 in the best formation... make it simple and stick to it. 

I still think we will come up short but it was a about reversing the trendline for me.... Dunc deserves huge credit for that momentum change.  Carlo deserve a credit for identifying what worked and keeping elements of it. 

What I find even more hilarious than our own fans writing off our chances is the way Sky are going about it. In all their coverage of the race for Europe we don't get a sniff. Wolves and United do, despite us being on the same points as Wolves and above United.

Keep dismissing us and we'll keep going about our business quietly with one of the best managers in the world. We might not actually get there but Carlo says we're going for it and that's good enough for me. Aim high.

Exactly this. Plus, I’m not worried about a season competing in Europe as well as the domestics. Previously we’ve suffered because of inexperienced managers, now we have someone who’s done this for decades and the impact of that cannot be underestimated 

What I find even more hilarious than our own fans writing off our chances is the way Sky are going about it. In all their coverage of the race for Europe we don't get a sniff. Wolves and United do, despite us being on the same points as Wolves and above United.

Keep dismissing us and we'll keep going about our business quietly with one of the best managers in the world. We might not actually get there but Carlo says we're going for it and that's good enough for me. Aim high.

This is exactly what we want. Keep the limelight and the pressure off our players. Let's quietly go about our business and climb the table. I don't want us to go out and put in any big surprise results that will draw attention.

Be like Sheffield Utd, keep winning and keeping clean sheets and accruing points. Stuff SKY and the biased media.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Backs to the wall siege mentality from here until the end of the season, need to fight for every point. 
If we can beat the teams around us it’ll put us in a great position. I see the next month as a huge opportunity. 

We need to be beating the teams around us as a regular thing. If you look at the sides who make the bottom half there is no reason why we can't be beating them home and away. Snatch those 1-0 away wins, even against relegation fodder, and with wins at home you're looking at 60 points a season.

That's the bare minimum for me. Any results against top half teams are a bonus and should see you in Europe regularly. There's no excuse for not being able to go away to a minnow and grinding out a win.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

This is a funny old place sometimes. Lose a couple of games on the bounce and it will be relegation talk again! 😂

😂 in all fairness that's how tight the table is at the minute. Only Liverpool have more points in the last 10 games as it stands. Let's keep that up. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I reckon 43 points will be the target this year.  Crazy league.

It’s become tighter because 5 out of the so called big 6 are shipping points like we’ve never seen before, unfortunately for us the one that isn’t is Liverpool, wankers. 

13 hours ago, Aidan said:

😂 in all fairness that's how tight the table is at the minute. Only Liverpool have more points in the last 10 games as it stands. Let's keep that up. 

All well and good but the sides we have beaten are all bottom half. You have to go back to Ferguson to see us getting points off a top of the table side and that was 9th and 10th (draws) and the win against Chelsea. 

If we keep up the points tally over the next 10 games I will be banging the drum with you all but let's wait and see as Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Norwich (a), Leicester, Spurs are much much harder before a relatively easy run in. It could be #Ancellottiout by mid April 😂

With the additional  FFP issues that UEFA brings, with what’s going on City (and I fear us too soon), I can see concerns about qualifying. But I still want to win everything all the time, just hope we do it in the correct manner. 

Last I read, we had excellent books. We may have operated at a loss due to signings, but our accountants said that we have nothing to worry about. I know they wouldn’t exactly come out and say, we’re in trouble, but I do trust our club is run the correct way.

After reading that article, I’m more confident now. They may look to put us on a 3 year plan, and that’s fine.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Last I read, we had excellent books. We may have operated at a loss due to signings, but our accountants said that we have nothing to worry about. I know they wouldn’t exactly come out and say, we’re in trouble, but I do trust our club is run the correct way.

After reading that article, I’m more confident now. They may look to put us on a 3 year plan, and that’s fine.

Would you expect them to say we have balanced the books by breaking certain FFP rules. 
Only time will tell, but when someone pays 30 million just to take an option of being given the opportunity to sponsor the new ground in 3 years time, l have to say I have my doubts. 
Also another concerning statistic is that 85% of our turnover is spent on wages, that’s highest ever by a long way of any club in the league,  on average I believe 51% is around were other clubs in the league spend on wages.

I read somewhere I think it was football first that we will need to sell our better players to keep the clubs accounts within the rules, so we could see the likes of Richarlison Pickford and Digne going if the price is right, unless we can get a sponsor to give us 100 million and then prove that our brand is worth that amount of money, and it wasn’t just a scam to stay with in the rules of FFP. 

Answered your question before you even asked it haha😉 knew it would be coming x

It all depends on our books this next season in all honesty. Football doesn’t work the same as a normal business. Capex still exists, but they are not tied down to it. They can spend more than their budget as long as the money is there, and so finish with a deficit. What FFP asks, is that there is a solid plan to balance it back up. 

If we are spending money like that, with no long term plan in place, then, we could be in trouble. But I honestly think our club isn’t as naive as eastern billionaires. 
Though that could easily be me, being said naive.

When we get rid of Sandro, Bolasie, Delph, Bolasie, all on big wages, and Martina, that Swiss lad and a few others we will knock nearly £400K a week off the wage bill.

The expected money from new sponsorship deals, plus naming rights for the stadium, increased revenue from match days, corporate box's and stadium entertainment boost revenue making increased spending more viable.

As Shukes said, our owners are quite shrewd and would have got first hand experience of monitising a new stadium from being at Arsenal when they moved. 

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

All well and good but the sides we have beaten are all bottom half. You have to go back to Ferguson to see us getting points off a top of the table side and that was 9th and 10th (draws) and the win against Chelsea. 

If we keep up the points tally over the next 10 games I will be banging the drum with you all but let's wait and see as Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Norwich (a), Leicester, Spurs are much much harder before a relatively easy run in. It could be #Ancellottiout by mid April 😂

Mid April if we're lucky! Give it until the next defeat knowing us lot. 

27 minutes ago, London Blue said:

When we get rid of Sandro, Bolasie, Delph, Bolasie, all on big wages, and Martina, that Swiss lad and a few others we will knock nearly £400K a week off the wage bill.

The expected money from new sponsorship deals, plus naming rights for the stadium, increased revenue from match days, corporate box's and stadium entertainment boost revenue making increased spending more viable.

As Shukes said, our owners are quite shrewd and would have got first hand experience of monitising a new stadium from being at Arsenal when they moved. 

Wow it’s crazy when you look at the wages we spend on those guys. But if they end up as stepping stones to where we are now, then it may all be worth it.

This league is mental right now. 

United hold on and results go our way we could be 3 games off 4th with games against the teams above us to close in on them. If we keep going with our current form we will get 4th. No doubt.