IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

On 05/03/2020 at 14:33, markjazzbassist said:

i'm not worried about it i live in the midwest and it hasn't gotten here yet, mostly the coasts.  i'd be worried for my children but it targets mostly older people and doesn't seem to be effecting children much, which is a good thing.  as far as me?  well i'm all paid up on my life insurance so my wife and kids will have a nice life :)  i'm not worried, i'm not traveling abroad, just skiing trips a few hours away which won't be hampered.

It's got there now.

On 05/03/2020 at 18:22, dunlopp9987 said:

Living in NYC, I'm shocked it took so long to get here. I figured we would be one of the first major metropolitan areas to get hit. I'm usually pretty blasé about sanitizing hands or anything, but I've been washing them like crazy and avoiding touching anything. 

Just saw that the Prem is temporarily banning any handshakes before matches due to the virus, which begs the question.....is there a possibility the season gets delayed/called off? I can't imagine it would come to that, as it looks like Italy's way to handle it is just have all matches played behind closed doors. But wouldn't it be something if the year the shite are about to win the league, an act of *whoever/whatever* prevents it from happening?

Didn't realize you lived in NYC. I work each week in northern NJ. One of the weekends I'm in town, and not traveling home to Atlanta, we should get together to watch a game.

The mayor of NYC and the governor of the state seem to have their act together. It's tough, though, when the nation's leader is proving to be totally inept. It's obvious the number of reported cases is going to explode in the coming days. Personally, I'm driving home to Atlanta this weekend and will work from home for the rest of the month.

Arsenal v Brighton called off, if we are are as the experts say 4 weeks behind Italy and heading in the same direction, then I can see this season being cancelled in quite a few countries.

If the players and staff are catching it then how can games go on even if behind closed doors, there will be so much self isolation going on clubs won’t be able to put a team out. 
Which brings me onto the shite if the season is abandoned and they can’t rightfully win the league, as an Evertonian I would feel a sense of poetic justice had been administered ? I’ll say know more. 

1 minute ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I can understand why the government are not shutting schools yet. 

All the data from previous pandemics shows early closure of schools is absolutely the most effective way of slowing down transmission.

Unfortunately mum and dad both go to work now, who will look after the children.

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

I had a house clearance type person around earlier, just to take away a sofa surplus to requirements; told me he wasn't allowed to get within six feet of me and the company had stopped the need for the client to sigh for the job. The six foot rule went out of the window as it was a sofa-bed (which he wasn't told) so heavy and prone to swinging open so as he was on his own I needed to give him a hand; believe it or not I'm still alive, and hopefully so is he.

Undecided on this whole thing. I'm pretty much carrying on my life as I always have, maybe washing my hands a few more times than normal but that's about it; we'll see how it progresses, strange times.

To be honest, the employees  shouldn’t have to suffer that kind of disrespect :P 

Our county is going to make an announcement for “stricter measures” in an hour. Luckily did some shopping this morning and am making a fuckton of Scouse right now, rumours are a week of everything shutting down. Glad I’ve been making soup etc and have stuff in the freezer! Only got 4 ales though :( 

12 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Viruses can and do mutate. A virus that decimates a population doesn't stand much chance itself and so it evolves to become milder so as not to kill it's host. Evidence suggests that coronavirus has already been mutating and that cases in Europe are showing differences to those in China.

By slowing down the rate of infection we are hoping to buy enough time for the virus to become less lethal. It really isn't about building an immunity to it but more so the virus mutating to a less lethal form that is more beneficial for itself.

Interesting, how do you know this stuff Paul? Is it your line on work or your education? It certainly seems logical.

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

It surely has to be suspended now. I can understand why the government are not shutting schools yet. It depends where we are on the infection curve. If you shut down too soon then eventually people will become fatigued and start breaking quarantine.

They will as they are in Italy, were they have now said people will be arrested if they break the curfews imposed. 
To be honest I don’t think I would go to any event with crowds of people, more because I wouldn’t want to catch it and then endanger my family, I would hate to think that me being reckless had affected my wife kids and grandchildren.

I few lads who work for me have been going to Cheltenham, one of them has just had a baby, his attitude was I’m not worried about Corona, shocking in my eyes to take the risk and possibly put your kid in danger. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

They will as they are in Italy, were they have now said people will be arrested if they break the curfews imposed. 
To be honest I don’t think I would go to any event with crowds of people, more because I wouldn’t want to catch it and then endanger my family, I would hate to think that me being reckless had affected my wife kids and grandchildren.

I few lads who work for me have been going to Cheltenham, one of them has just had a baby, his attitude was I’m not worried about Corona, shocking in my eyes to take the risk and possibly put your kid in danger. 

WHO table shows the likelihood of people under 50 dying from it are tiny, but I take your point.

Capture.JPG

59 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Just pointing out it goes against the approach most other countries are taking.   

As I understand it, the UK approach is based on creating a herd immunity. But for that to happen, a lot of people need to get infected, possibly and quite likely, including a lot of vulnerable people.

Herd immunity only works when the virus comes back, when, because a lot of people are immune, it can't spread to the weakest who don't have immunity as they are 'shielded' by the immune ones.    

Is it better to lose more lives than necessary now, in order to be able to better face it in the future?  Why not just wait for a functioning vaccine when it comes back next year?

31 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Interesting, how do you know this stuff Paul? Is it your line on work or your education? It certainly seems logical.

It’s the basis of evolution although this is too logical an explanation, so then not evolution. A virus can just as equally become more specialized and wipe out most of a population and specialize in certain individuals. It’s random mutation unless the implication is that this virus thinks and adapts, which would be terrifying (for multiple reasons). I’d be interested to know the rate of reinfection.

4 minutes ago, holystove said:

As I understand it, the UK approach is based on creating a herd immunity. But for that to happen, a lot of people need to get infected, possibly and quite likely, including a lot of vulnerable people.

Herd immunity only works when the virus comes back, when, because a lot of people are immune, it can't spread to the weakest who don't have immunity as they are 'shielded' by the immune ones.    

Is it better to lose more lives than necessary now, in order to be able to better face it in the future?  Why not just wait for a functioning vaccine when it comes back next year?

They are, but far too late so it’s rendered irrelevant. It’s all got a bit of “tea and biscuits got us through the war” feeling. But then again, the whole world reacted too slowly so now we have to see it out. 

2 minutes ago, holystove said:

I wasn't defending it, I haven't got a clue what the best course of action is and neither do the "experts" apparently as they all seem to be contradicting each other.

13 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Didn't realize you lived in NYC. I work each week in northern NJ. One of the weekends I'm in town, and not traveling home to Atlanta, we should get together to watch a game.

The mayor of NYC and the governor of the state seem to have their act together. It's tough, though, when the nation's leader is proving to be totally inept. It's obvious the number of reported cases is going to explode in the coming days. Personally, I'm driving home to Atlanta this weekend and will work from home for the rest of the month.

Would love that, Steve!

And the working from home thing seems to be the norm now. I had heard a rumour from a few friends that the subway was going to shut down, potentially as early as last night. So I packed a quick bag and am staying with my girlfriend in Manhattan (I'm living in Brooklyn) 

Strange times out there, friends. Stay safe, stay healthy, UTFT.

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Viruses can and do mutate. A virus that decimates a population doesn't stand much chance itself and so it evolves to become milder so as not to kill it's host. Evidence suggests that coronavirus has already been mutating and that cases in Europe are showing differences to those in China.

By slowing down the rate of infection we are hoping to buy enough time for the virus to become less lethal. It really isn't about building an immunity to it but more so the virus mutating to a less lethal form that is more beneficial for itself.

Does the 19 stand for the 19th strain of the Coronavirus.