IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

1 minute ago, Matt said:

But they can be carriers. As is the case with all viruses 

This is the problem with closing schools when both parents are working and kids being farmed out to grandparents (which I think @holystove highlighted earlier) who are the ones more at risk. Certainly if schools do close we won't be taking in our grand-kids; apart from not having the space it's not sensible as we both have pre-existing stuff as I mentioned before.

19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

This is the problem with closing schools when both parents are working and kids being farmed out to grandparents (which I think @holystove highlighted earlier) who are the ones more at risk. Certainly if schools do close we won't be taking in our grand-kids; apart from not having the space it's not sensible as we both have pre-existing stuff as I mentioned before.

I’ve got 6 lots of flights booked for long weekends to Spain between next week and end of May, were we go has been declared a state of emergency for that area.

My mrs always has our Grandchildren when there off school, maybe we need to reconsider.

On 13/03/2020 at 16:36, TallPaul1878 said:

When is the correct time to shut the schools? It's easy when you're a contrarian who just wants to criticise the government in whatever it chooses to do. Close too early and you are panicking, close too late and you are negligent.

You and I are not privy to where a country is in respect to the virus taking hold. This is a serious health hazard and people are still playing party politics with it. "Gee I hope there is a recession so we can get rid of Trump/Tories"

Do you honestly think the opposition would have done anything differently? They'd follow the advice of the experts and sure as shit would still be worrying about the economy.

I think you misunderstand me I wasn't criticising the Tories and just point outing that if it's spreading P2P then school closures are effective, I'm sure they're taking advice from whoever they should be and trying to the make an evidence based strategy that is not going to sow more panic.

Was just chatting with my girlfriend's roommate. His sister has a friend who works high up in government health care, and apparently within the next 24-72 hours, Trump will mandate a 14-day quarantine nationwide. One household member will be able to go out to grocery stores and the doctor, but besides that, full quarantine. 

This might be conjecture, but figured I'd give a heads up to my fellow Americans in case it's true!

8 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Was just chatting with my girlfriend's roommate. His sister has a friend who works high up in government health care, and apparently within the next 24-72 hours, Trump will mandate a 14-day quarantine nationwide. One household member will be able to go out to grocery stores and the doctor, but besides that, full quarantine. 

This might be conjecture, but figured I'd give a heads up to my fellow Americans in case it's true!

I’ve heard the same but I’m not sure if it’s bullshit rumors or true.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I just arrived home, driving 14 hours from New Jersey. My wife is in Tennessee and should arrive home tomorrow night. If you're correct, we may have just made it in time.

Sounds good in theory but requires up to date and adequate testing, which in practice is not really possible.  You have to be able to look one or two weeks into the future, and predict when the health services are going to be overrun.  If they are already overrun, you are too late with the quarantine.

I also don't get his point that you can only quarantine once..  and why does he assume literally everyone will get corona, regardless of how a country approaches it...

2 hours ago, Chach said:

It's bold.

The problem is the bottle is alot smaller than it should be. Won't take much water to make it overflow.

Hospitals have been creaking under business as usual demands..... our disgrace of a government have put us in a place where we will see people turned away. 

Lets hope China completely eradicate  wet markets better eh.  Completely and utterly barbaric, dead wood animals like bats and snakes stacked up on each other for human consumption.  

Hi All me and the c/o are currently in Spain till late April, we are on lock down, no bars, no restaurants, no golf, just me and and the c/o confined to barracks.

After day one of confinement im not sure 2 of us will will leave, so i may be looking for a safe house on my return, any offers from my fellow Blue Boys?

36 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

Hi All me and the c/o are currently in Spain till late April, we are on lock down, no bars, no restaurants, no golf, just me and and the c/o confined to barracks.

After day one of confinement im not sure 2 of us will will leave, so i may be looking for a safe house on my return, any offers from my fellow Blue Boys?

I know the feeling. All schools, even parks, are locked down, which means both my wife and daughter are with me all day for the next 6 weeks (so far lockdown is planned until end of April). In some ways I’m really happy but after 5 days there’s already some cabin fever going on!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I know the feeling. All schools, even parks, are locked down, which means both my wife and daughter are with me all day for the next 6 weeks (so far lockdown is planned until end of April). In some ways I’m really happy but after 5 days there’s already some cabin fever going on!

we are locked down for 3 weeks, no school for the kids and i'm working from home as is the wife.  cabin fever is inevitable sadly.  lucky our govenor even though he's a republican took it seriously (unlike trump) and was locked down in advance of the Feds.  hopefully it works. 

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

we are locked down for 3 weeks, no school for the kids and i'm working from home as is the wife.  cabin fever is inevitable sadly.  lucky our govenor even though he's a republican took it seriously (unlike trump) and was locked down in advance of the Feds.  hopefully it works. 

Good luck mate! I’m actually grateful for being unemployed at the moment; if I had to work from home and be locked in with my girls there’d be chaos. 

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

Good luck mate! I’m actually grateful for being unemployed at the moment; if I had to work from home and be locked in with my girls there’d be chaos. 

i need the money, we live paycheck to paycheck so im so so grateful that i can continue to work and not have to worry about how we will put food on the table.  

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i need the money, we live paycheck to paycheck so im so so grateful that i can continue to work and not have to worry about how we will put food on the table.  

So did we even before the job loss.  We’re 40% less income than 2 years ago and even then we barely made it through the year! Good luck man 

Some people on my "other" forum, the Macmillan cancer one, having to make really difficult decisions. The main curative treatment for the type of cancer I had (umbrella title head & neck though there are many variants under it) is radiotherapy. For many, me included, chemo is given because it increases the curative effect of the RT by 5/6%; problem is that the chemo drug used completely destroys your immune system for one week in each of the three three week cycles. Even when I had it six years ago I was told to pretty much to isolate as much as possible during those weeks as even a cold could be a killer. Now anyone in that position would be told to self isolate due to covid but how do you do that when you have to go to hospital five days a week for RT?

Lovely guy on the site started his treatment today and decided against having the chemo, accepting the small (but not insignificant), increased risk of dying from cancer against the potential threat of covid doing the same. Did not envy him having to make that decision but lots of people supporting him online and in the flesh, and there will doubtless be many more faced with the same/similar choices; the World's gone crazy.

25 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i think you guys have a good unemployment system there though in swiss right?  ours is awful here.  

We do. Its 80% of your previous salary for 2 years. Problem is that 18 months ago I took a 20% cut for my last job, so in effect we’re 40% down from that 2 year mark, and now my wife, who had taken extra work on to try and cover some of it, has had all her work cut off because she teaches. I’ve basically  been making “stock food” that we can make in bulk and freeze for the past 4 days so that we’ve got enough in/pay rent/etc for the next few weeks. 

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

We do. Its 80% of your previous salary for 2 years. Problem is that 18 months ago I took a 20% cut for my last job, so in effect we’re 40% down from that 2 year mark, and now my wife, who had taken extra work on to try and cover some of it, has had all her work cut off because she teaches. I’ve basically  been making “stock food” that we can make in bulk and freeze for the past 4 days so that we’ve got enough in/pay rent/etc for the next few weeks. 

Tough times for so many Matt, really wish you the best. I actually feel quite numb to all of this at the mo and quite "fortunate". My mum's death a couple of years back has left us financially quite comfortable (rather be poor and still have my mum but it is what it is); my life hasn't really changed....yet.

57 minutes ago, Matt said:

if things get tight shoot me a PM man.  i'm serious.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Some people on my "other" forum, the Macmillan cancer one, having to make really difficult decisions. The main curative treatment for the type of cancer I had (umbrella title head & neck though there are many variants under it) is radiotherapy. For many, me included, chemo is given because it increases the curative effect of the RT by 5/6%; problem is that the chemo drug used completely destroys your immune system for one week in each of the three three week cycles. Even when I had it six years ago I was told to pretty much to isolate as much as possible during those weeks as even a cold could be a killer. Now anyone in that position would be told to self isolate due to covid but how do you do that when you have to go to hospital five days a week for RT?

Lovely guy on the site started his treatment today and decided against having the chemo, accepting the small (but not insignificant), increased risk of dying from cancer against the potential threat of covid doing the same. Did not envy him having to make that decision but lots of people supporting him online and in the flesh, and there will doubtless be many more faced with the same/similar choices; the World's gone crazy.

My sister in law is going through a course of chemotherapy she had a double mastectomy about 8 weeks ago, now she’s got the added worry of catching Coronavirus with her immune system at its lowest. We are not visiting her just in case we infect her.